PDA

View Full Version : RIP Airfix

kevmusic
31st Aug 2006, 10:22
I'm sure I won't be the only one here to lament this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=402998&in_page_id=1770
:sad::(

Whirlygig
31st Aug 2006, 10:40
Not necessarily RIP. The company has gone into "Administration" which means that it is the intention to keep the business going if possible. Let's hope a venture capitalist or white knight is interested in bailing them out.

Cheers

Whirls

kevmusic
31st Aug 2006, 11:04
Let's hope a venture capitalist or white knight is interested in bailing them out.

Too late for Airfix to do a 1/72 Vulcan, I suppose? Say, XH558, for example? :hmm:

Hireandhire
31st Aug 2006, 11:27
Sad to see but for what it's worth, as a youngster I felt they started downhill right from when the instructions stopped saying "glue the oil-radiator housing..." etc to the cheaper (language free) pictograms.

Saved a few pence on country-specific stock control but took a lot of the fun and learning out for kids like me.

regards
HnH

treadigraph
31st Aug 2006, 11:45
Kev, they do a 1/72 Vulcan and you can still buy it from Hannants...

Or you can emulate my good friend Darius and build this 1/48th Vacform Vulcan (http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Fea1/401-500/Fea492_Vulcan_Aibara/fea492.htm). I should add that apparently the kit does appear on Ebay from time to time with a starting price of £500!

I've brought several 1/48 Airfix Spitfires recently and have to say that the wings are a terrible fit - particularly the new-tooled Mark IX - and need a hell of a lot of work to look good. I've give up and brought an Italeri kit instead. I can't say if their other kits are that bad, but I've also acquired second hand Islander, Heron and Basset kits recently and they do appear to dry fit quite well!

kevmusic
31st Aug 2006, 11:49
Sad to see but for what it's worth, as a youngster I felt they started downhill right from when the instructions stopped saying "glue the oil-radiator housing..." etc to the cheaper (language free) pictograms.

Yes, you're right. I learned most of what I know about port & starboard, nacelles, cowlings and antennae from those instructions, but the actual rubric was, "Locate and cement....." :cool:

teeteringhead
1st Sep 2006, 08:08
Ah yes "locate and cement"! What an aeronautical bite of madeleine.....

First two I built were a Spit (obviously) and a (then pretty new) Lightning @ 1/11d each..... I remember being surprised at how much bigger the Frightening was ..... stupid boy ......

Quality control was not always brilliant then (but customer service was). Remember buying a "Jap Zero" (bet they can't call it that now) which had a wing missing! Filled in the little form and a replacement arrived by return of post .....

Groundloop
1st Sep 2006, 09:51
I was waiting for the TSR2 release.
Cancelled again I suppose?

It was released as a limited edition in January. Or where you waiting for the re-release?

chevvron
1st Sep 2006, 13:07
But why does the Daily Mail keep showing pictures of some kid building Aurora (or is it Monogram) plastic kits? They're definitely not Airfix.

treadigraph
1st Sep 2006, 13:17
I think it's a minor miracle they don't show a kid with a heap of balsawood, a bolt of tissue paper and that balsa cement which (if long term memory is accurate) was far whiffier than the plastic stuff.

Iron City
1st Sep 2006, 14:11
They don't call it dope on the tissue paper for nothing.....

VATCO
2nd Sep 2006, 21:34
If only everything in aviation could be fixed with a little glue

RIP Airfix and lets hope someone else starts to operate the company.

kevmusic
2nd Sep 2006, 22:30
Hornby are allegedly showing an interest. They seem to have a good track record re-vivifying dead ducks - or even, dead DUKWs (yes, Airfix did produce one!)

....erm, I'll get me hat, coat & scarf.