PDA

View Full Version : CASA Media release/ $130 medical.

Sunfish
22nd Aug 2006, 04:03
I just had my medical renewed, paid my $130 and was warned by the DAME to keep the reciept in case CASA had a problem matching payment to paperwork.

I received a letter from CASA this morning stating payment not received and was now requested before medical renewal processed.

Armed with reciept and prepared to be a fire breathing grumpy old basterd, I rang 1 300 737 032 prepared to kick heads etc......................................................... ......

..........................and received first class customer service! Matter resolved quickly by CLARC after a perfect handover from the "greeter" to the medicals section.

So credit where credit is due. I know there are horror stories etc., but I must say I was impressed by the manner, speed, friendliness and intelligence displayed in sorting this out. I've had nothing but good service from the YMMB mob as well.

If someone from CASA reads this then give the guys and girls a pat on the back!:ok:

Capn Bloggs
22nd Aug 2006, 04:35
While they were looking after you, Sunfish, I was on hold for 15 minutes!:*

J430
22nd Aug 2006, 06:09
Hey Bloggs, maybe CASA do read these pages and they know who we are and who the trouble makers are!

Could that explain your 15 :} minutes

:O :O :O :O

Cheers
J:ok:

Brake Boy
22nd Aug 2006, 06:47
Recently put in for my initial Class 1 Medical, part of which is a visit to a Designated Aviation Ophthalmologist (DAO/Eye Doctor).

Got the name of a DAO off the CASA website, asked my DAME to forward on a referral to the clinic and booked myself in for an examination. The clinic was very busy so had to take one of my prized recreational leave days from work to honour my appointment.

Underwent the examination only to be asked, 'now whats all this aviation stuff?'. Seems the DAO hadn't worked there for some 2 years. :ugh:

I approached CASA about this and was met with 'It is the responsibility of DAO's to inform us of changes. If the data on our website is inaccurate its not our fault. We cannot be expected to keep all our data up to date, and we will certainly not shoulder any responsibility if this is found to be the case. As for you using up your leave due to the website inaccuracy...stiff!'

In the meantime the Part47 change for my aircraft having been processed in a mere 9 months, arrived without the requested registration change. Seems that my reservation of the mark had lapsed ,while being processed at CASA, and had been given to someone else. :ugh:

Once again....stiff! Even through the appeals process.

BB

Brake Boy
22nd Aug 2006, 10:41
According to CASA your $130 fee is for 'administration costs' only.

CASA refused to remove my DAO from the website ,even after they had confirmed he no longer practiced where advertised. It took 3 months of complaints to get his infomation removed.

'We are not required to provide a list of Designated Aviation Medical professionals, we only do it as a guide to help pilots!'

BB

36er
23rd Aug 2006, 07:01
Does anyone know how the admin costs were paid last year and the year before.
What do we get for our $130.00?
Maybe the DAME could come to my house! That would be worth $130.00.:D

aero979
23rd Aug 2006, 12:05
The $130 fee was raised with a couple of CASA delegates at our aeroclub a few months ago, whilst laughing they said " you blokes arent the only ones who need to pay it, we have to take it out of our budgets also!!! "

I think everyone else just looked at each other and didnt get the joke...

Wheeler
23rd Aug 2006, 13:30
A simple rego transfer took 11 weeks- and cost the usual $130. They just do not appreciate the cost to their CUSTOMERS that their inefficiency causes. E.g. Frustrated airport owners desperate for their fees use debt collectors but because they cannot find out from the CASA register who owns an aircraft, take a punt - and get it wrong. The debt collector starts chasing but cannot collect and so the aircraft is threatenned with being impounded. I tried to ring CASA several times to ask why the rego had not been completed. Eventually they repsonded to one message saying there was no problem and they just could not understand why it had taken so long - but it would be changed that afternoon - and it was! I guess if I had not kept ringing, it would have never happened. I now have a 'rerew by CASA only' medical due in a couple of weeks. All of my paperwork is done and sent but it be will be a miracle if that happens in time. My ASIC card took 7 months and expires in May 07 - better start thinking about renewing that one now! and they call that custome service?

Ascend Charlie
23rd Aug 2006, 22:02
The website has other inaccuracies too-

Try to find an ATO from the site! The first 3 that I rang to book a check ride, told me that they had been retired for 3 years or more. Again, CASA took no responsibility for the info on their website.

Maybe we should follow the same idea - if a CASA person asks for some information from you, tell them some bull5h1t. If they notice it is bull5h1t, tell them that you take no responsibility for what you say.:8

an3_bolt
23rd Aug 2006, 22:19
Some good things do happen:
A recent issue with licence validity had me call CASA reagarding the issue - after a little to and fro .... the issue was resolved with a reprint of my licece pages with the updated info.
The gentleman who helped me was exactly that - a true gentleman and I do thank you for your assistance. He went out of his way to help.
From my recent dealings - it appears that the people who work there are very competant at their jobs and very helpful. However - SEVERELY over worked.
It would appear that the problems some of us encounter, is with the system of management and the fact that the human resources are stretched beyond the limit of resonableness.
The people who help us resolve our problems are generally those that cop the brunt of our fustrations - probably inappropriately as the cause of the problem lies elsewhere.
In any case - thankyou to the gentleman who assisted me, and my very best wishes to you.

Wheeler
23rd Aug 2006, 23:57
An3 You are right. Everyone I spoke to was very polite and I felt would help, if only they had the ability/empowerment to allow them to do so. This will only get worse as they put more bull**** requirements on us, that are mostly only to cover the management's arses. They asked for some feedback on medicals recently, hopefully with some view of reducing workload on them. It would be good to get rid of the bull**** that just causes everyone aggro - and makes thir jobs next impossible too!

Bart Simson
24th Aug 2006, 00:44
Sunfish, any more posts like yours and CASA might get the idea that such good service might be worth $150-$200.

:D :D :D

BART

ratty
24th Aug 2006, 01:54
Guys,
Please accept my apologies for the out of date info on the site. We work hard at keeping everything current but, as you can guess, sometimes things slip through the cracks. We are following up on both the DAME/DAO/audiologist listings and the ATO information.

Meanwhile, anytime you see something wrong on the site, shoot off an email to [email protected] and we will do our best to fix it.

cheers
bruce bowden
CASA webmaster

Brake Boy
24th Aug 2006, 03:03
Ratty (Bruce)

I'm sure we all appreciate you taking the time to respond and I'm definately sure that we all appreciate the predicament CASA staff are in at the moment.

I was unable to get a straight answer regarding my situation, so maybe you can give us your opinion on the matter.

If a pilot incurrs loss due to the inaccuracy of infomation supplied on the CASA website, should CASA be held accountable? There is a CASA requirement for DAME/DAO to ensure their details are kept current by advising CASA of any changes. However, if the DAME/DAO does not fulfill these requirements, the potential arises for end user (pilot) inconvenience and loss, not the DAME/DAO who hasn't done what CASA requires of them.

In my opinion, if a DAME/DAO is unable to keep their details current, the issue is between CASA and the DAME/DAO, not CASA and the pilot. The pilot should be compensated and costs recovered from the DAME/DAO for not fulfilling their responsibilities.

Interested to hear further comment

BB

Wheeler
24th Aug 2006, 23:38
We can't give the DAME's too hard a time for not keeping the CASA website up to date. Generally, they are very good. I just got a Class 1 for $140 plus GST, the Doc spent at least an hour on me and the forms and other crap to be arranged were not insignificant. Then CASA charge $130 'admin fee' for their bit, which involves taking weeks and weeks to do at least 5 mins work, checking all of the boxes are ticked and putting data onto their computer, printing off and putting it in the mail.... Wow!

OZBUSDRIVER
24th Aug 2006, 23:50
AERO979 So , what you are saying is Howard will reduce dollar for dollar the CASA budget for every fee collected?

Pluto's gone
25th Aug 2006, 00:24
CASA Customer Service = OXYMORON...

SB4200
25th Aug 2006, 00:26
I paid the fee and just yesterday (two weeks later) have received the letter saying payment is due.

Here we go...

Lead Balloon
25th Aug 2006, 10:01
I waited 6 months for my ASIC, and after waiting another two for my student licence I rang CASA.

They said my licence was sent out 1.5 months prior.

I said "But I didn't receive it!"

Response was, "Send in a request for another, with a summary of the dates of application and what I have told you".

"OK, thanks"

Then....

Email to Casa. "Dear Lic. Branch - never received Student Lic, please resend"

Email from Casa. " Please send $32.50 and Stat Dec."

Email back. "Thanks for response, but how will I be gauranteed I will get it and not have to do this again?"

No response....

So what was that about customer service!!!

RYAN TCAD
25th Aug 2006, 11:09
[QUOTE=Brake Boy]According to CASA your $130 fee is for 'administration costs' only.

Well - actually they say the fee is for "consideration and administration"!

Don't get me started, i've just had a BIG BIFFO with them.

Bo!

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
25th Aug 2006, 12:43
It is apparent that CASA is going through some fundamental changes, we really need to be patient with them.

If you have a greivance, Mr Arthur White ( see the CASA website ), is there to address such problems, he is very effiecent at dealing with such issues and has a reasonable approach, very much for the customer ( us ), contact him.

http://www.casa.gov.au/corporat/complaints.htm

I wonder how the CASA staff feel in this turbulent time, job security is uncertain and many of us are less than satified, cut them a little slack.

CASA is slowly moving to the new millenia of doing business, well done, keep up the momentum BB ( no, i do not work for CASA ).

rogerexplosion
26th Aug 2006, 00:59
$130 per hour is still way over-priced.

Its a bit like :ugh: when you pay the doctor who did your medical less than you paid the people to process it.

kookabat
28th Aug 2006, 02:51
This is RARE!! Medical done, fee paid, and certificate arrived - all within a fortnight. Reasonably impressive from CASA.

Still not happy about $130 though.:*

Oh that's super!
28th Aug 2006, 11:40
There will be forums held to voice your opinion on the CASA fees:

http://www.casa.gov.au/seminars/costrecovery.htm

druglord
29th Aug 2006, 11:03
I LOVE CASA! just asked a simple question on the internet. Got a straightforward reply with lots of help. I live in the US where bureauocracy rules. you can forget about talking to someone without an appointment. If they had a massive natural disaster here I dont how the govt departments would cope...oh wait that happened last year

credit where credit is due

Wheeler
30th Aug 2006, 18:40
I'll take it all back! They have been absolutely wonderful today.

Problem fixed - just like that! (and it was not even their fault). I reckon the trick is to get the right person. I really cannot complain at all about my latest treatment. I even felt good about the parting 'Oh and by the way, can I have your credit card number now? 'That would really hold things up!"

Seriously though, a very positive customer experience from the medical section. If you are listening, thanks a million! (Well, 130 anyway)

Bob Murphie
31st Aug 2006, 00:50
Media releases
CASA Media Release - Thursday, 31 August 2006
Proposed changes to CASA’s charges
Important changes to the way the Civil Aviation Safety Authority charges for regulatory services are being proposed.

Under federal Government requirements for cost recovery CASA is scheduled to make a range of changes to fees and charges in July 2007.

CASA is proposing alterations to the way it charges for regulatory services by-the-hour to make the cost recovery regime fairer and more accurate.

It is also proposing to cut the fee for pilot medical certificate processing from $130 to $75.

Four new hourly rates are proposed: $100, $130, $150 and $180. This would replace the existing two hourly rates and better reflect CASA's actual costs in providing regulatory services. Fixed fees would still apply to some services.

A review of the average time taken to process medical certificates has resulted in CASA being able to adjust the fixed fee down to $75. This is a better reflection of the costs incurred by CASA in this activity.

The proposed fee changes are the next step in the review of CASA's cost recovery, which began in January 2006 with the introduction of fees for a wider range of regulatory services.

Fees currently apply to more than 180 services including licences and ratings, examinations, medicals, aircraft registration, certificates, permits, exemptions, approvals and authorities.

Revenue raised from regulatory services will increase from the current level of $10.5 million a year to $15 million by 2007-08 and $20 million by 2008-09. This will represent 16 per cent of CASA's total revenue, meaning the bulk of CASA's operations will continue to be funded through a combination of fuel excise and government appropriation.

CASA is urging everyone in the aviation industry to have their say on the new cost recovery proposals by either attending a series of special forums being held in a number of capital cities and regional centres or by sending comment direct to CASA.

Find out full details of the cost recovery proposals and forums at: http://www.casa.gov.au/corporat/fees/index.htm

Provide feedback on the proposed new fees at: [email protected]

The initial consultation period closes on 31 October 2006.

Media contact:
Peter Gibson
mobile 0419 296 446
Ref: MR0641
:suspect:

LookinDown
31st Aug 2006, 03:08
A big thanks to all those 600 or so who made the effort to respond to the survey. Minimal noise would have inevitably led to minimal change.

Bob Murphie
31st Aug 2006, 03:29
Option 4 should have had the DAME process the medical as part of the check. Any fee by CASA is an impost

I suppose it's a bit like being "gut shot" with a .22 instead of a .308 though.:hmm:

cunninglinguist
31st Aug 2006, 03:47
well said Bob !

apache
31st Aug 2006, 06:37
It is still a F**KING rip-off!

even $1.00 is too much.

Bob Murphie
31st Aug 2006, 08:19
I am told that "Crash" (AKA "seconds to live/ die, whatever Gibbo), " has done it again with this press release it is "NOT" the outcome of the DAME issue but an interpretation of same.

This interpretation is "NOT" the outcome of the review.

The Political budget preference is that a small (maybe $10) fee will be imposed and the DAME will issue the Medical Cert in the existing system.

:ugh:

witwiw
31st Aug 2006, 08:39
should the medical processing fee come down to $75, do those of us who got hit with the full $130 get a refund of the difference?

somehow i doubt it, but it would be nice!

Hugh Gorgen
31st Aug 2006, 11:27
The cost is only 1/2 the problem. The fact it takes CASA 2 months to process the medical is ridiculous and unsatisfactory.

Capt Fathom
31st Aug 2006, 11:34
Hmmm .. I wouldn't get too excited. This may only apply to Class 2 medicals. The fee for Class 1 may remain as is !

josephfeatherweight
31st Aug 2006, 13:09
Witwiw has a good point - are CASA admitting we've been overcharged? Where's my refund?

pg casa
1st Sep 2006, 00:49
Gentlemen

With hindsight we should have spelt out that there are two issues running here.

One is the next proposals for cost recovery, which is what yesterday's media release was about.

The other is the discussion paper on options for the management and processing of class 2 medicals.

The cost recovery proposal is based on medicals being managed as they are now - processed by CASA. On that basis, with new cost modelling, we have determined that the fee can be cut from $130 to $75. This is because CASA has now calculated it now takes 35 minutes on average to process a medical certificate.

This proposal does not affect the outcomes of the dicussion paper - in other words the option of a different way of managing class 2 medicals is still on the table. We have nearly 800 submissions to work through and consider before deciding where to next. That could mean the status quo or a different system where CASA was not involved at all, or to a leser degree. We would then have to review the fee at that time - which could range from nothing or very little to the proposed $75.

Hope that helps to clear it up. cheers pg

Time Bomb Ted
1st Sep 2006, 01:18
Isn't it wonderful that the Government reduces the CASA budget, but increases its own budget for postage. $60 million this year.... They spend more sending us junk mail than what they spend on keeping aviation safe.

We are in the wrong business....

TBT

Erin Brockovich
1st Sep 2006, 01:49
This is because CASA has now calculated it now takes 35 minutes on average to process a medical certificate.
??? :confused: It should take about 35 seconds – the Doc has already entered all the data and approved it.

Start stop watch……….now…Type in ARN, Press print (medical and envelope with mailing address), Fold, Lick, Out Tray………..and stop. Maybe add 30 seconds for a slow printer.

ozbiggles
1st Sep 2006, 05:15
It is good to see a response from someone in Casa (pg) posting some good gen on the site. Hopefuuly we can keep the conversation civil in return.
I did ask for a 'invoice' when I sent in my $130 detailing what I was getting for $130. The reply I got was they couldn't issue me one. I found that delightfully amusing.
I understand that one of the reasons for this IMHO outrageous fee was to help reduce the costs for people when they had medical issues that required some work. When I had an issue the only research they did was demand that I send them more paperwork at my cost from my doctor to confirm (despite the fact my doctor and specialiist had cleared me already and stated that on the paperwork)that I was fit to return to flying duties.
If they had made it a reasonable fee of $10-$20 then we wouldn't have had as much reason to complain.

Bob Murphie
1st Sep 2006, 05:57
I am just told that a media release MK2 is being promulgated by PG.

Hopefully he will post it here as well as diseminate it via the CASA subscribed.

If I am not excommunicated/ defrocked/ cut off or anything and get it first, I will post same.

BM.:hmm:

pg casa
1st Sep 2006, 06:21
Bob Murphie

No-one has asked me to draft a second release on cost recovery or medicals...yet anyway. More than happy to do so if there's a need, of course. Right now I'm planning where to have a cold one after work...pg

Bob Murphie
1st Sep 2006, 09:37
Gonya PG, :) this is a rumour network after all and that's what I heard.

Your original was misleading and perhaps you should seriously consider another to help the great unwashed understand better.

But you'r the Boss, so do as you wish.

Avagoodweegend.