PDA

View Full Version : Cholesterol & "Crestor 10"

quartercuban
30th Aug 2006, 18:41
Hi all
I am in my 40's and have recently been diagnosed with high cholesterol (hereditary I'm afraid), 280mg/dL or 7.2mmmol/L and was prescribed Crestor 10. Believe me this drug works, my cholesterol is
now below 140mg/dL (3.9mmol/L). My BP and other blood works are quite normal. However I am now worried about my upcoming JAR PPL medical (class 2) because of taking the Crestor 10. Has anyone been in a similar situation recently and will taking Crestor 10 affect my medical and my flying?

Thanks in advance
Quarter Cuban

Captain Airclues
30th Aug 2006, 18:55
quartercuban

You should inform your AME as soon as you start taking regular medication, not wait until your next medical (JAR-FCL 1.040).

Airclues

A2QFI
31st Aug 2006, 06:53
Good morning, I came to this thread as I saw the 'Chlorestorol' issue and read on. My interest is that a young relative has had a stroke and now a heart attack, at age 47. His chlorestorol is over 8 and this is largely genetic ie he eats sensibly. At work last night I consulted an exoerienced nurse/practitioner and mentioned Crestor. He said that, as a Statin, it does work to lower chlorestorol and can apparently also remove fatty build ups from the blood vessels. However, the downside is that all statins can cause muscle wasting and/or renal damage, in the long term. As ever, with the internet, I am offering this as an opinion from a professional co-worker and not as a statement of fact. I am sure that some Googling will help you to make further checks on these side effects.

gingernut
31st Aug 2006, 21:24
Make sure your not taking a sub therapeutic dose.

It's a case of all or nothing:)

Have a chat with your doc, make sure he has assessed your risk factors, (including your family history) and ask for an informed decision.

I'm not an AME, but I'd be very surprised if affects the outcome of your medical, there are some who believe that it should be added to the water. If your AME is old enough, he will perhaps be taking it himself.

Just a warning, if you search deep enough you will find
a few horror stories about liver damage/ muscle damage but on the whole these drugs save lives:}

I'm a little out of the loop, but I think Crestor has been promoted as a drug that actually reverses the damage of too many chip butties.

Re-entry
1st Sep 2006, 07:51
Gingernut. Surely nothing saves lives. They just extend them. My dad assumed room temperature at age 58.
Death and taxes.

quartercuban
1st Sep 2006, 21:49
Hi all
Thanks for replying. Of course you are correct "Captain Airclues (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=2545)" vbmenu_register("postmenu_2809533", true); I am in the process of contacting my AME, as should quite rightly be done. However, I was interested in finding out the experiences and stories of others. But however much I enjoy being airborne I do not want to have a medical incident (MI, or Stroke) as PIC (or for that matter at any time...!)because of not taking the drug, nor do I want to be a statistic on some air accident investigation web site because of the drug.

Fingers crossed I'll still be still be "yankin' and bankin' " in the future.

Regards
QC

Flyin'Dutch'
1st Sep 2006, 22:19
Statins are on the whole very well tolerated by the vast majority of people taking them.

I have never heard of anyone becoming acutely incapacitated by taking it.

Liver and muscle issues are well documented, not common and reversible (there was one statin that could give a nasty reaction to your muscles in extremis fatal but that one is withdrawn - can not remember the name now)

The benefits they have in both primary and secondary prevention are beyond dispute.