PDA

View Full Version : Retro fit of DC 13.4's with ENC/ANR capability

captwawa
30th Aug 2006, 17:07
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone knows where in Australia one can buy these kits from. I recall there was a thread on here a long while ago - did a search with no luck.

If anyone can help that would be appreciated - I have seen a few US sites but would prefer to buy from an aussie :ok:

I have been told that it is an easy job to install - has anyone got first hand experience in fitment and quality? It is getting hard to hear whether the f/a is saying the cabin is on fire or that her car needs a new tyre :)

wawa

Mainframe
30th Aug 2006, 21:13
Captwawa

The retro fit kit, about $AUD250, is made by Headsets Inc.
Their website is a similar name, I think www.headsetsinc.com otherwise google it.

Go to the website, read the specs and note the optional extras.

There are a few options worth considering, at extra cost.

Probably the best one is a new headset cord combining the power leads,

the alternative is strapping the supplied extra power cord to your existing one and having to drill a extra hole in the DC shell.

You will need good soldering skills or access to some one who does.

It takes about 2 hours to do the conversion, there is major surgery involved removing some of the DC components and replacing with supplied.

This kit is good and there are hundreds of happy customers in Oz.

A definite 'must have' if there is a bongo in your life or could be.

To find the Australian distributor, look in Aviation Trader,

last I knew it was Tom Boyd, Global Aviation Support, Maroochydore.

M.F.

p.s.
If you're going to use it in a single, 1st time you turn it on you'll think the engine has failed !

Squawk7700
30th Aug 2006, 22:33
I converted mine a couple of years ago. Only problem I find is that to install the larger speaker set-up with the microphone built in you need to remove some of the foam in the heatset, thus as a result you lose some of the inherit sound deadning of the headset from it's original format. Also, if your battery goes flat or you lose power to the headset, you may as well not be wearing the headset at all.

I have 2 heasets that I leave in the aircraft; one is the DC ANR and the other is a cheaper Altronics, however the altronics plays much nicer / clearer sounding music from my CD player and I often find is clearer when listening to the radio calls. Sometimes my passengers recognise other aircraft that I didn't. Eg. Is that Johnny I just heard calling someone?

Perhaps wait for the new DC X 11's...

Just my 2 cents worth.

Squarker.

BugSmasher80
31st Aug 2006, 06:55
Gday,

I converted my DC 13.4s about 18 months ago with the Headset Inc kit. I bought directly off the website (which worked out cheaper even after conversion to AUD) then had an avionics shop fit it. I would never go back to passive now. The only criticism would be that the 9v battery doesnt last all that long... maybe 8 hours. I'm using 9v 200mah NMIH batteries from Jay Car. I also opted for the auto shut off box, plus the all in one chord.

I have found that fatigue is reduced and hopefully my hearing prolonged!

Recommended.

captwawa
31st Aug 2006, 14:31
Thanks guys I am looking at that website now - if you could please get back to me on what parts specifically you have that would be fantastic.

Looks like the way to go - can't believe I didn't do it earlier...

Luckily I won't be anywhere near a Bongo! I have used ear plugs under my headset but have found that it is not that efficient.

Once again thanks for your help.

wawa