PDA

View Full Version : Australia's 4,000m Antarctic runway for regular flights from Tasmania

Taildragger67
30th Aug 2006, 15:52
From Flight International

Australia's 4,000m Antarctic runway for regular flights from Tasmania could be ready by year-end

By Emma Kelly

First flight to blue-ice landing strip expected in December to support science missions
Australia is close to completing a new blue-ice runway in Antarctica, paving the way for demonstration flights later this year and, ultimately, regular services between Australia and Antarctica in support of scientific missions.

Work started on the 4,000m (13,000ft) Wilkins ice runway last year as part of Canberra's A$46.3 million ($35.3 million) intercontinental air link project included in the country's 2005-6 budget.

A runway construction team is due to arrive on Antarctica in early October to continue proof-rolling and complete the runway surface ahead of flight trials planned for December. The runway will operate during the southern hemisphere summer period.

Sydney-based Skytraders currently operates flights linking Australia's Antarctic research centres, using two ski-equipped EADS Casa C-212-400s. Skytraders has proposed using a Dassault Falcon 900EX to operate the 5h link from Hobart, Tasmania to the Wilkins ice runway, near the Casey research centre. Skytraders' bid is one of several being considered by the Australian Antarctic Division. The Canberra government has declined to comment on other bids, but says a decision is due within four to six weeks.

"The new air transport service swill provide a far more efficient way of getting people to and from Antarctica," says Ian Campbell, Australian minister for the environment and heritage.

The intercontinental air link was designed to support research projects on Antarctica, but the government believes it could also result in new tourism services.

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2006/08/29/208712/Australia's+4%2c000m+Antarctic+runway+for+regular+flights+fr om+Tasmania+could+be+ready+by.html

Now here's a thought: a nice 13,000' strip way down south - could this help overcome ETOPS restrictions for services between S.E Aust and Sth America and Sth Africa? If so, could this mean (say) 777/787/A330/A350 ops down south?

I know the article mentions Falcons, but then I wouldn't have thought a Falcon needs 13,000'?

If they're putting in infrastructure for tourism, that implies things larger than bizjets...

Lord Snot
30th Aug 2006, 18:18
Runway, airplanes, tourists, garbage and rubbish, McDonalds, what a great idea....

Apparently the Indians have a yearning for Antarctica too. Brilliant, there should be a thousand or so 7/11s operating there soon, too.

Chocks Away
30th Aug 2006, 23:18
Mmmm:rolleyes:

In all seriousness though, even China are claiming rights to the Antarctic, amoungst many others who have no direct borders or link with it.
...all in the name of exploiting the resources below, in the future (ie mining), by these resource starved countries.

Sadly there's not much standing in their way apart from it's isolation... until now.:ugh:

Aussie
30th Aug 2006, 23:27
Wouldnt mind going for a burn down south! :}

Aussie

Shitsu_Tonka
31st Aug 2006, 01:04
I assume that last post was a weak attempt at some form of twisted humour.

Out of interest, I wonder if the 13000 FT length is actaully to do with the Elevation of the field?

What would the range of a FA90 be? i.e. can it fly there make an approach, miss out and return to HB?

tinpis
31st Aug 2006, 02:00
Could it be as boring as Hobart? :hmm:

fl610
31st Aug 2006, 03:42
I assume that last post was a weak attempt at some form of twisted humour.

Out of interest, I wonder if the 13000 FT length is actaully to do with the Elevation of the field?

What would the range of a FA90 be? i.e. can it fly there make an approach, miss out and return to HB?

ST 900EX range around 4,500nm

troppo
31st Aug 2006, 03:49
4000m ice runway...think about why they need a runway this long...it's a no brainer...as a hint...the world's longest golf drive was 2640 yards...in Antarctica

Buster Hyman
31st Aug 2006, 07:38
Well, DJ will not be flying there!

If they won't buy de-icing equipment in MEL, do you think they'd buy it for down there???:}

(Does this qualify as the runner up for the most Inane, unwitty, and completely irrelevant statement?)

Shitsu_Tonka
31st Aug 2006, 09:28
Ice runway. Right.

What mods would a Falcon need?

How wide would the runway want to be as far as lateral ground control is concerned (including engine out assymetric - prob not a big issue in a Falcon)

Pimp Daddy
31st Aug 2006, 09:54
Ice runway. Right.

Blurb on tyhe runway construction here (http://www.aad.gov.au/default.asp?casid=21370)

How wide would the runway want to be as far as lateral ground control is concerned
Apparently it's 100m wide, the Pegasus blue ice runway at McMurdo is 100m wide as well but only 3km long.

swh
31st Aug 2006, 12:14
Ice runway. Right.
What mods would a Falcon need?
How wide would the runway want to be as far as lateral ground control is concerned (including engine out assymetric - prob not a big issue in a Falcon)

Seen a Falcon 900 land on a grass strip before.

Taildragger67
31st Aug 2006, 12:22
Ah... gentlemen.... clears throat ahem...

I started this thread regarding an ice runway in Antarctica and, out of interest, posed a question as to whether this could affect RPT ETOPS into/ex-S.E Australia to other (populated) southern continents. I did not mention any carrier or person, nor did I kick it off intending it to become a slag-fest against any carrier or person.

With respect to one airline, there have been/are several threads on this board for that purpose.

With all due respect, could we please limit this thread to talk about the 4,000m Antarctic runway and associated ops, and use the threads designed for those purposes, to talk about other things?

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Dons helmet for the inevitable incomings...

TD67

Woomera
31st Aug 2006, 13:17
Remove your helmet and relax...as for the rest of you:mad: :ugh:

Woomera

Shitsu_Tonka
31st Aug 2006, 13:20
Sorry swh- my "right" wasn't questioning if it was indeed an ice runway, just pointing out that I had completely overlooked that from the start of the thread, and the associated braking distances required.

(Although I cannot imagine what else I thought it might be... crushed coral?)

100m wide - I guess that would cover the 'slip sliding away'.

I guess there will be no Terrestrial Navaids, so what... RNAV Approaches?

And would it be HJ ops only?

Buster Hyman
31st Aug 2006, 13:30
Is now a good time to mention that there's only 1 T in Edited Woomera?

You need better reading glasses:E :ok:

Woomera

Hugh Jarse
31st Aug 2006, 19:58
And would it be HJ ops only?
Leave me outta this! It's hard enough practicing ice-RWY ops at Mt. Hotham, let alone all the way down there:8

buzzz.lightyear
1st Sep 2006, 08:13
just calling it for what it was.. incompetence plus cover up..

kiwiblue
1st Sep 2006, 09:48
Well spoken TD67, thanks. :ok:

Buzz: I would have expected better from you. Can't help but wonder how well you would have fared in the pointy end on the day. It's too easy to be judge and jury after the fact, especially when not in possesion of all the relevant information. A good place to start is the text of Justice Mahon's report, and/or the book by Trevor Bland.

We can all learn from others' mistakes and indeed should; we have a responsibility however, to those no longer amongst us not to judge their actions too harshly, lest at some point our own actions be judged.

Safe skies.

KB

Roger Standby
1st Sep 2006, 10:37
Saw some great pics from down south a couple of days ago sent up by a mate of a guy I work with. C-17 was the aircraft on the strip I believe, so certainly designed to take big aircraft.

Dick N. Cider
2nd Sep 2006, 17:26
****zu,
When this service was first mooted several years ago the premise was that the Falcon had sufficient reserves to fly down, make a couple of approaches and return to YMHB or land and return without a refuel. The aircraft was primarily selected so they wouldn't have to hold fuel for it in Antarctica. Huge expense and potential environmental concerns avoided.
DNC