PDA

View Full Version : MECIR

skywest_xr
30th Aug 2006, 09:23
How long does a MECIR take to complete from scratch, given full time application.

Just trying to work out how much leave I need from work.

Saw an add in a flying magazine quoting AUD6000 in 8 days, surely this could not be true?

Rgds
xr

multi_engined
30th Aug 2006, 10:31
I know 6 blokes who studied IREX at TAFE for two weeks, course cost was $150 and all passed the exam.

Not sure about the flying though.

DeltaSix
30th Aug 2006, 11:11
It depends if you're doing it full-time or part-time. I did it part time. From memory we did it 3-4 times a week ( Sat & Sun included - 3 hours per session ). Took us 6 weeks plus 2 weeks review. Still found it a bit tough.

Heard of an F-18 driver and a Herc Capt converting their military IR to civilian and both flunked on first try.... I didn't feel so bad after that. :E

Cheers

D6

Capt. Crocodile
30th Aug 2006, 11:21
Have a look @ CAO 40.2.1. section 8. You have to do 40 hours for issue of instrument rating, 20 of which have to be in aircraft. It's unlikely you will do this in 8 days. The advertisement is probably based on giving you only 15 hours in the aircraft as it probably assumes you already have 10 hours of instruments in aircraft for your CPL as well as some synthetic trainer time. You should ask them what they're offering as it can't be the full 40 hours which is required. A friend of mine did his MECIR training as a full time thing from start to end and took about 14 days. Also you need to have a recommendation for an instructor for IFR training. A lower price advertisement does not mean cheaper at the end of your training. An inexperienced or lazy instructor will cost you $$

almostthere!
30th Aug 2006, 12:05
Took me 12 days full time

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
30th Aug 2006, 12:10
8 days seems a little unlikely, a months maybe.

$6,000, wow thats very very very well priced, certainly worth looking into for that reason alone, buyer beware.

If you are talking about location / which school to go to.

In my not so humble opinion, Johnson Aviation at Port Macquarie are the choice, its been a few years since i went there, just wondering if anyone knows if Jamie is still a two jug screamer ? :).

A37575
30th Aug 2006, 12:12
Heard of an F-18 driver and a Herc Capt converting their military IR to civilian and both flunked on first try.... I didn't feel so bad after that

Professional jealousy by the ATO obviously - probably a former scrubbed RAAF pilot with a grudge against the aces. Or a GA instructor consumed with a long hidden desire to fly a Hornet.

Chimbu chuckles
30th Aug 2006, 13:09
I did mine wo to go in 11 days...nearly 20 years ago I might add. The DCA examiner was a little taken aback by that fact but I passed.

Bort Simpson
31st Aug 2006, 03:31
I'm sure that if you look at the fine print, you will find that $6k and 8 days is only for the NDB. After all, that's all that's required to get an IR. The other bits, i.e. VOR, ILS, won't be in this price.

So, $6k and 8 days are a bit misleading if you think you will get the 'lot' for that time and money.

Contact the school and ask them. Let us know if this is true.

Bort.

RENURPP
31st Aug 2006, 08:18
Professional jealousy by the ATO obviously - probably a former scrubbed RAAF pilot with a grudge against the aces. Or a GA instructor consumed with a long hidden desire to fly a Hornet.

Professional jealousy be stuffed.
I have ABSOLUTELY no interest in being one of "Australia's Finest":E :E and I can tell you from flying with them, training them and working for them, that they are not in any way shape or form Australia's finest, no more than QF pilots are really skygods.

What ever they look for in the interviews they generally find, almost like huge headed clones!!!

Aussie
31st Aug 2006, 08:34
Since were on topic, anyone recommend a mob in adelaide for the MECIR?

Aussie

multi_engined
31st Aug 2006, 12:45
just wondering if anyone knows if Jamie is still a two jug screamer ? :).

He recently left air asia to fly for malaysian airlines but lost the contract with them and is in legal battles with them at the moment...

He now fly's 737's for tunisia airlines.

M.25
1st Sep 2006, 00:17
Two problems that I have witnessed people encounter while taking leave for an initial CIR are:

Commencing training before they had the IREX exam passed. I would definitely pass the exam before you take leave.

Taking leave until the very day after the booked flight test date. There are almost always unserviceabilities and unforeseen delays that will blow the timeframe out at least a couple of days. I would take a few more days than you think you will need.:ok:

skywest_xr
6th Sep 2006, 11:54
IREX passed, no dramas there.

I guess If I do it full time and there is no real probs with instructor/aircraft availability, would 3 weeks leave from work be a safe bet?

I've passed theory, plus Ive got the 10 hours IF from the 150hr CPL course and I have a useless NVFR rating (VOR/NDB).

Would I be correct in assuming that 10-12k is pretty much ball park for the rating?

Rgds
XR

almostthere!
6th Sep 2006, 11:59
I would suggest 4 weeks leave with a program designed for the first 3 weeks. This would enable you some buffet in case of instructor/aircraft problems, and would stop any stress of having to go back to work before you have finished your rating. I paid a fixed price of $10,500 for my rating.

Aussie
7th Sep 2006, 00:09
Where did you do yours?

Aussie

itsmygoONthescootter
9th Sep 2006, 11:42
Hi

I did mine at www.johnstonaviation.com.au/ (http://www.johnstonaviation.com.au/)

at port mac in NSW, I shopped around. They supply nice student accom in the price, as much sim time as you want is included in the pricing, they have a geart set up and you get barron time too.

Once you look at schools, Look at, and feel free to ask the schools;

-What aircraft is the training in?
A few hours in some thing good will help later whan applying for jobs

-What is the cost break down?
Aircraft hourly rate, are landing fees, briefing, and enroute fees included?

-What are the extra costs?
Testing officer, Accom, Sim time

-How much IF time do you already have? how recent is it? and how much will count to the ME-CIR (so you can work out roughly how much extra you need to get to the requirment)

at the end of the day you may be ready for the test at the min hours you may not be. Some people do it in different amounts of time and therefore cost, just be ready for that just incase.

----------

I did my IREX theory on weekends over 8 weeks at a flying school and flying at port mac full time for 2 weeks. I was shagged at the end of it.

Best luck