PDA

View Full Version : BAK

LLL
30th Aug 2006, 01:21
hope this is the right thread... I'm just about to do my BAK (okay okay was suppose to do it weeks ago) but I'm kinda nervous about the exam. Is there anyone out there who did it not long ago? What's it like? Is it really hard? How long are you recommending studying for? What's the most important things to study? you get the picture I want to know anything possible please help :sad:

scroggs
30th Aug 2006, 06:32
Firstly, you've started a new thread; you havent posted in another thread.

Secondly, what's a BAK? I've Googled and Wiki'd it without success.

Scroggs

precession
30th Aug 2006, 06:53
BAK = Basic Aeronaughticomical Knowledge.

same objective as a FAA pre-solo written, Used in Oz , a bit like a mini-PPL exam but sans the heavy NAV & MET components, mostly made up of operational reqs, circuit and law with a bit of aerodynamics/handling thrown in.

scroggs
30th Aug 2006, 07:07
Is this PPL stuff?

Scroggs

neilia
30th Aug 2006, 08:09
Background - this is Australian PPL - the BAK is an intermediate exam on the way towards full PPL, accompanied by a flight test that allows you to fly solo in the local area.
Wrong forum - D&G probably best.

My answer - it's pretty easy. Just make sure you know your Bob Tait and you can't really go wrong. I can't remember exact details, but I think you're allowed something like an hour to do about 30 questions. I think I'd finished in about 10 minutes. I'll say again though - Bob Tait is your friend!

scroggs
30th Aug 2006, 08:21
OK. Thread moved from 'Wannabes - Professional Flight Training'.

Scroggs

Aussie
30th Aug 2006, 13:43
Bob Tait will sort ya out for the BAK.

It isnt a very difficult exam, but then again nothing ever is once ya past that step! :uhoh:

Aussie

4SPOOLED
30th Aug 2006, 13:58
Did this ages ago, but remember pretty well

Know your P Charts and weight and balance. All your airfield markings like gliding ops restricted ops etc/tower light signals. It askes questions about a CSU even though you wouldnt have flown one yet! so read up on that. Few questions on carby heat application and icing and such and a fair few on aerodynamics, lift drag centre of gravity and control....... all pretty basic stuff. No reason why you cant get in the 90% range if you do a little bit of study. You also do it at your flying school rather than the stupid ASL place where you will conduct most of your other stuff.

Good Luck!

4S

Sunfish
30th Aug 2006, 21:59
I just checked. I got 90%. You might like to read up on strategies for doing multiple choice tests if you haven't done many before. If you can get hold of old copies of the crash comic and do the VFR quiz's that will give you the flavor.

Oh! And especially know about alcohol consumption regs, refuelling distances and stuff like that.

There is also a practice exam somewhere on CASA's website here:

http://casa.gov.au/fcl/exams/cyberexam/cyberprac.htm