PDA

View Full Version : A new future for PNG aviation?

Captain Nomad
30th Aug 2006, 00:44
Went looking for 'PNG ples bilong tok tok' but it seems to have vanished... :confused:

The 'National' had this to say after yesterday's ICCC's ATI hearing in Moresby:

By ISAAC NICHOLAS
AIRFARES for both domestic and international flights must remain subject to market forces, civil aviation expert Sir Joseph Tauvasa said yesterday.
Sir Joseph, a former head of Air Niugini and a director on the Civil Aviation Authority, warned that a return to the price control regime on airfares would force airlines to review their operations.
He said the airlines may be forced to omit unprofitable routes, use aviation charters to earn revenue and enter into short-term price wars to maintain market share that may force shortcuts to service and ultimately, running the risk of unsafe operations.
“I was there. I regulated the price as director of Civil Aviation once upon a time, and it’s very difficult to do that.”
Sir Joseph was speaking at the public hearing reviewing the air transport industry (ATI) in Papua New Guinea at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Port Moresby yesterday.
Sir Joseph said the Open Sky policy had not seen entry of international planes into PNG’s domestic aviation but there was likelihood of entry of new operators to offer competition to the established operators like Air Niugini and Airlines of PNG.
He said reductions should not be enforced by price control as it would be counter-productive, given similar situations around the world including the bankruptcy of Italia, the national airline of Italy and smaller operators in PNG including Talair and Douglas Airways because of very stringent regulations by the authorities
He said airlines operators in PNG had the freedom to enter into co-share arrangements with international operators to establish competition and offer choices of goods and services to the travelling customers including tour operators.
“PNG aviation remains small and it requires the airlines to develop their own products so that customers could have a choice, the products are driven by prices charged and revenue gains and allow market demand to drive price,” Sir Joseph said.
“Price control of airfares should not be arbitrarily determined on the basis of averaging costs for passenger and freight uplifts for different types of aircraft,’’ he said.
He said the Government should work towards improving CAA administration and aviation infrastructure to ensure growth in the areas of tourism.
“Keep the Open Sky policy but manage it on a level playing field. Airfares, both international and domestic, must remain subject to market forces, determination and demand.
“I believe greater working relationship needs to be established between tourism and airline operators.
“I believe that the visa requirements need to be reviewed to allow in tourists with 30-day genuine stay in the country.”
Sir Joseph said selective rural airports be handed back by provincial governments and managed by CAA to allow tourists to decide the place they want to visit in PNG or alternatively, seek subsidy funding from National Government for selected provincial airport improvements.

What thinks ye?

EM TV news last night also reported that there are plans to introduce a separate organisation to takeover control and management of ATC and airports (maybe not unlike the old FAC in Oz?).

tinpis
30th Aug 2006, 00:51
introduce a separate organisation to takeover control and management of ATC and airports

Australian Defence Force?:rolleyes:

Torres
30th Aug 2006, 00:57
I don't believe it!!! SIR Joseph Tauvasa???????????? WTF????

They passing gongs out in Weetbix packets now?

He said reductions should not be enforced by price control as it would be counter-productive, given similar situations around the world including the bankruptcy of Italia, the national airline of Italy and smaller operators in PNG including Talair and Douglas Airways because of very stringent regulations by the authorities
“I was there. I regulated the price as director of Civil Aviation once upon a time, and it’s very difficult to do that.”

Junior and Biscuit Ears would roll over in their graves!!!

It was Tauvasa as Director of Civil Aviation and later in his role as GM, Air Niugini that systematically attempted to destroy all third level airlines in PNG!

A leopard never changes it's spots. No doubt one of his "business interests" need a change in Government policy...........

Captain Nomad
30th Aug 2006, 01:24
Hmm, yes, very interesting to read some of the background from before my time up here.

I had a feeling it wasn't all good news... :suspect:

Just as a reminder of the dire need for improvement on the airports front you will find this amusing reading from the 'Post Curior'...

Faulty light keeps PX aircraft in air

FAULTY lights experienced at the Buka airport runway yesterday forced an Air Niugini Fokker 100 aircraft to circle the air for about 30 minutes before landing. The Civil Aviation officers tried in vain to switch on the lights. The weather also did not help their cause as heavy cloud cover and rain made visibility low. When the Post-Courier went to check with CAA officials at the runway, they said the lights were not working properly and one man was holding a piece of wood trying in vain to switch the lights on. The plane landed despite the runway lights still not fully restored.. Post-Courier’s Buka reporter Romulus Masiu who was on the flight said the pilot, after finding out the runway lights were off, had told the passengers the plane couldn’t land and would continue to fly around and wait for lights to come on. “On the second attempt the pilot again told us that the plane will circle above to burn off some fuel to make the plane lighter as the runway was wet and slippery,” Mr Masiu said. A CAA official said the plane was forced to criclew the airport because the lights weren’t working properly. Bougainville administrator Peter Tsiamalili, who along with Autonomous Bougainville Government President Joseph Kabui were also on the flight, said there was funding set aside to help CAA improve the Buka airport facilities, including fencing. ABG vice president Joseph Watawi who was at the airport to welcome Mr Kabui and his delegation, said it was dangerous for such things to happen and it needed great attention as something drastic might happen in future.

I love the conclusion - must have taken a rocket scientist to work that one out...:E ;)

Sharpie
1st Sep 2006, 02:04
Hmmm. Must have got the gong for services to the transport industry! I recall when he was the boss of an oilco, he had his own coastal tanker to deliver products around the nation. Last I saw of the vessel, it was still anchored to the floor of Moresby harbour outside the Yachtie! I thought that the banks wanted some K6-7million. Did not help aviation too well either.

Sharpie
1st Sep 2006, 02:06
Hey all you Woomera gang!

What happened to the PNG Bullamakau Pek Pek Pepa! How can I upset dear old Charles if you remove the avenue.

Torres
1st Sep 2006, 02:27
Sharpie. The day Joe joined Shell was the day Talair split the fuel bill between Shell and Mobil. Until that time, Talair had been a loyal Shell customer for 25 years.

Junior wrote to Shell, in his usual style, telling them exactly why they lost half their long term account! :} :}

Chimbu chuckles
1st Sep 2006, 04:09
Upset Charles!!!!!

When have you ever upset Charles?

Ohh...I remember now...there was that time we were doing 128/9 together:ok:

Young pilots should NEVER underestimate the CRM value of "You're just a grumpy old C*&T...shut the **** up":} :ok:

I believe on the next sector (the 6th) I finally managed to get time for breakfast...at lunchtime...you muttered something about my eating habits and I shot you a raised eyebrow...your response from memory was "Well at least I'm a consistant grumpy old C*&T" :D

But then there was the time we raced your yacht together two up on a blustery Moresby day...and one of your line checks...I seem to remember you thanked me afterward for my support.

They were fun days Pete:ok:

Animalclub
1st Sep 2006, 06:50
Talking about Sharpie and yachting... do I recall a CNS POM yacht race where a certain yacht owned or sponsored by (forgotten his name but he owned the Davara and Islander)... where it was the front runner but a certain PX skipper stuffed up the navigation and it came in 2nd or 3rd??

Chimbu chuckles
1st Sep 2006, 06:55
Pete stuff up nav?

Hard to believe:rolleyes:

:ok: