PDA

View Full Version : Bifocals vs Varifocals

rightbank
29th Aug 2006, 20:26
Can anyone offer any advice, from a pilots point of view, on the pros and cons of the above 2 lenses.
Many thanks in advance

modelman
29th Aug 2006, 21:39
I recently converted form singles to varis and have been pleased with them.I am short sighted ( good close vision) so the lower part has very little 'lens'. I no longer have to lift my specs when map reading.I have no trouble with depth perception for landings.I spent a liitle extra and got Pentax lenses,you get less distortion around the edges-I think it was worth it.

I got mine from Specsavers-they will take them back and fit single vision for no extra charge.I negiotated a 3 month trial period,holding back on my second 'free' pair until I had decided.

Hope this helps.
Modelman

rightbank
31st Aug 2006, 20:41
Thanks for your reply MM

In my own circumstances, I have been using single vision lenses for the past few years, but a recent change in prescription has left me very slightly out of focus for reading the instruments/gauges etc. I have now got bifocals, but the supplier of my latest set of glasses suggested varifocals. Unfortunately I have visions (excuse the pun) of having to nod my head up and down to find the correct bit of the lens to look through. I was wondering if there was anyone who has experience of both.