PDA

View Full Version : Tight-fisted Easyjet pax

BaronChotzinoff
29th Aug 2006, 19:37
It always narks me on EJ flights, when they come round collecting money for various causes, just how few people contribute anything, even when it's a possible lifesaver eg collecting for Nolan Trust to recruit bone marrow donors for leukaemia sufferers.

Seeing as most of the punters appear to be flippant types off on weekend breaks, it's a bit rich that they can't even offer a fraction of what they probably just spent in the bar prior to boarding.

PAPI-74
29th Aug 2006, 19:50
That's one view.
I find it a bit rich that they exploit a captive audience who can't run. If it isn't them getting charity money....probably on commission.....it the other mob FR selling their bus tickets, lottery odds and sods to make up their wages.
Can't blame them, but don't blame the passengers who want to relax and not be bugged.
They should put more effort into improving their s##t coffee and donate £1 of the ticket to the charity or have a collection pot at the gate. They would not do anything for nothing. 70% of most charity money goes on admin...fact.

Rapha_BA
29th Aug 2006, 19:51
..I've flown with Easyjet once from LGW to AGP,and 90% of the pax were the typical trash that read and believe on "The sun",flip-flop wearer,burbery cap,istead ring the c.bell they call the crew "oi mate" or "oi you"...so I'm not surprised to hear that,probally they thought that leukaemia is the new Chelsea striker "innit"?!:ugh:

PAPI-74
29th Aug 2006, 19:53
Unless it is aid going to Africa, when most goes to their Government via one form or another, or is stolen by to locals with AK's and Perangs.
Fact.

LRdriver II
29th Aug 2006, 20:01
By the time you have gotten to the charity spiel, you have nattered on for ages about every single poxy dutyfree item for sale that I have shoved cotton wool into my ears to drown out the garbled verbal assault.

Sorry but I have zoned you out by that time.

PAPI-74
29th Aug 2006, 20:16
LRdriver II: LOL
That was you was it. I was going to ask you for some of your cotton wool. I ended up having to use my socks.;)

They do though. Who wants to hear all that bollox?
Just do your job and enjoy it. Stop ramming things down the pax's throats.
I had to go to Dublin to use the Sim and it got to the point where I had to look out of the window to avoid eye contact.
My neck was really stiff after that flight. The return was a joke too. It really looks unpro. to see crews do that.

Twiddle
29th Aug 2006, 20:27
Always ticks me off when I see a chairman of a charity in his oak panelled office with old masters hanging on the walls.

Makes you ask how many 50p's it takes to fund that...

PAPI-74
29th Aug 2006, 20:30
BaronChotzinoff,
I think it is fairly conclusive....

sit on your charity box...lube if you have it love.

MarcJF
29th Aug 2006, 20:33
Don't forget there's always the prudent donor. I NEVER give to street collectors or on aircraft, but do donate a tidy sum to charity. However I choose to do so via my employer's payroll scheme, where not only does the charity benefit from gift aid, but my employer matches my donation. Don't assume that everyone that does not give in an open way, does not care.

tart1
29th Aug 2006, 20:41
Well I am sorry but I give to charity regularly ... someone in the office doing a sponsored run, the collection box at the supermarket or donations to the latest disaster fund ... and I really don't want to feel I have to dig into my purse yet again when I am on holiday.

It does seem as though there is a non-stop stream of PAs about everything as it is, without the one about giving to charity as well. OK, I might have some Euro coins or somesuch leftover from the hol, but maybe I want to keep them for the next visit, when I may need to tip someone or make a phone call at the airport before I have had chance to go to a bank or exchange.

Us passengers are a 'captive audience' and we are exploited enough as it is by the likes of easy and others - don't give us emotional pressure as well!! :=

744FO
29th Aug 2006, 21:43
That's one view.
I find it a bit rich that they exploit a captive audience who can't run. If it isn't them getting charity money....probably on commission.....it the other mob FR selling their bus tickets, lottery odds and sods to make up their wages.
Can't blame them, but don't blame the passengers who want to relax and not be bugged.
They should put more effort into improving their s##t coffee and donate £1 of the ticket to the charity or have a collection pot at the gate. They would not do anything for nothing. 70% of most charity money goes on admin...fact.

Thats a new one on me, comission earning charity collections.:hmm:

I dont see why you guys worry about it, It's not like you have to give any money. Im pretty sure the crew dont care when you dont give anything. They're just doing their job.

EastMids
29th Aug 2006, 22:02
Don't forget there's always the prudent donor. I NEVER give to street collectors or on aircraft, but do donate a tidy sum to charity. However I choose to do so via my employer's payroll scheme, where not only does the charity benefit from gift aid, but my employer matches my donation. Don't assume that everyone that does not give in an open way, does not care.

Well said! I am in much the same situation, and I'm comfortable with what I do. Its sad that some people believe those who don't give to adhoc collections are mean, but I suspect that in the long run I do somewhat more than do those who throw the odd coin or two into such collection.

Andy

BaronChotzinoff
29th Aug 2006, 22:27
Yes, good point Marc, there's no doubt people who say "I give already, and that's your lot." Or "I pay enough taxes so the govt should sort these things out." The point I was really making was that the "captive audience" is practically guaranteed to have enough to spare that it doesn't matter a fig if they chuck in a quid, but they don't. Or is a 90-minute flight such an overbearingly dismal experience that the pax can only groan and fester in their seats and try to block out the whole dismal scenario?

apaddyinuk
29th Aug 2006, 22:45
Well although Im one of those people who does make my old Unicef PA on every flight, you need to remember a few things before you condemn people for being tight...

You book your ticket online or over the phone...you get asked (guilted) to contribute to emmissions charges...another few bucks gone on top of the ticket price.
You walk down the high street to buy some badly needed clothes for your little holiday or business trip....some bum asks you for some money and then two seconds later some charity scout tries to talk you into giving money to them via direct debit.
You park your car at the airport and get the free bus to the terminal...Do you tip the driver??? I know a lot that do.
Perhaps you have loads of bags so you need a skycap....More money gone in tips.
You decide because you are flying on Cryingair that you want to have a Mc Donalds before you depart...you put your change into that damned ronald mcdonald fund to give poor kids jobs in their new franchises.
You get to the gate to find sitting beside you a little perspex money box asking for some money to contribute to the blind, Aids victims in africa, Airline staff who have lost their pensions because of "terrorism" or some other crap like that.
Then you get on the aircraft only to be asked to depart with your last pound which you had intended to save so you could tip the taxi driver at the other end!!!!
AND ABOVE ALL....Your probably a foreign national who has absolutely no interest in any of the "Local" charities which your asking money for.

Dont be so harsh to those who do not contribute, its a personal choice, and lets face it...in these days of high taxes and cost of living, very few poeple have expendable income, they work hard, save their money, enjoy little trips away and should not be guilted into giving money to the less fortunate. If they are decent people they will give a little something, if they dont, thats only cos they are sick of giving money out to organisations who squander it!!!

LRdriver II
30th Aug 2006, 07:35
Or is a 90-minute flight such an overbearingly dismal experience that the pax can only groan and fester in their seats and try to block out the whole dismal scenario?

Yep.. These days the flying experience is a necessary evil. Treated like crap, standing in lines for sodding hours fondled by security, served mediocre food, barked at by cabin staff who are fatigued by a long days and no pay etc etc.. Once we push back an take-off, its almost a relief as then we can relax..but nooooo, now we must endure lengthy overly loud PA's and a guilt-trip to pay money to some organization thats going to waste the money on building a new office building for themselves and pay their staff. I prefer to tip the locals instead, then the money goes straight to those who need it.

tart1
30th Aug 2006, 07:36
I dont see why you guys worry about it, It's not like you have to give any money. Im pretty sure the crew dont care when you dont give anything. They're just doing their job.
Well I don't exactly lose sleep over it, but the thread starter obviously thinks badly of us people who don't contribute and that is what I think is being answered here. :)

flybywire
30th Aug 2006, 08:47
We do have an official charity programme in BA, it's called "change for good" and all the donations go to Unicef.
Sometimes we make a PA informing that pax have an envelope in their seat pocket where they can put unwanted change of any country if they wish,even those replaced by the Euro and telling them what we have done with passengers' donations so far. Most times we do not even mention it as it's written on the in-flight magazine, however I think this is a good way of sponsoring a charity.

People are not forced to donate or to "look out of the window", and I have to say that most times as they disembark they give us bags full of change, even if we haven't mentioned anything. I find it very sweet and always thank them personally. :ok:

Charity is a choice. Many people already give money directly from their bank accounts or through some form of donation, we shouldn't judge them just by the fact that they're not giving any money on board, even if they look rich or happy holidaymakers. (experience also taught me that you can NEVER tell the financial situation of people just by looking at them...):=

I also remember, in a previous airline I worked for, some crew used to make ad-hoc PAs for their own chosen charity and many passengers were enquiring about it - it's important that if passengers/people in general give money they clearly know where it goes. At least they should receive some sort of leaflet with the charity details! :hmm:

I do not know of any crew who gets commission out of charity money, that would be like sinking to the lowest level possible.:yuk: Charity should be a choice for crew too, nobody should feel obliged to make PAs if they do not feel like it.

FBW

TightSlot
30th Aug 2006, 09:38
What an unattractive collection of thoughts expressed on the one thread. I opened this one up over my coffee this morning, and find my self wondering which of the emotions displayed here is the least attractive. Some of the adjectives that could be used about certain posts include, surly, judgemental, rude and snobbish.

What right anybody has to pass judgement over others willingness to donate or not escapes me completely: There can be no prior knowledge of donations of time or money made outside the cabin environment, and therefore no basis for criticism.

There are real issues here, relating to the suitability of this practise with a captive audience and the financial efficiency and suitability of the charities involved. Please could we try and discuss them with a little less venom, a little more fact and a bit more thought! To those of you who have taken the time to think first and then post sensible contributions - thanks.

BaronChotzinoff
30th Aug 2006, 16:39
The replies here have certainly allowed me to think a bit differently on the matter compared to the time of posting, so thanks to all. No doubt others do give a lot more to charities privately than I do, and perhaps that's why I pick fault with those who don't publicly. But I still find it surprising that people can't, I never give to able-bodied beggars or Big Issue sellers but apart from that am happy to give loose change when asked to, and the day I stop will be the day I can't afford light refreshments, newpapers etc any more.

flybywire
31st Aug 2006, 10:34
I am amazed by some of these replies!!!

Going with EZY doesn't mean that you do not want to "give money"!?
The airline you choose has nothing to do with people's will or ability to contribute towards charity!!!

I cannot believe I am reading this!!!

I had to fly FR many, many times purely for the fact that it is the only airline left which serves the city where my family live directly from London. And not necessarily it is the cheapest option.:mad:

Other people choose EZY for their schedule, and why not, even for their prices, but this doesn't mean that they do not have money to spend or they do not want to spend it!!:=

I am amazed, really. You know, giving money just to give your conscience some rest or even just because you think it's right, but then criticising other people for not doing it is not right.
If you create stereotypes that really shouldn't exist and that this society doesn't need you're not doing anybody any good, even if you give £100,000 a year from your salary. :=

beana
31st Aug 2006, 12:37
I regularly give to charity.
I read the papers, sometimes the Sun.
I dont always have loose change on me.
I own lots of pairs of flip-flops.

If i had the choice of flying Easyjet at bargain prices or another airline costing more...why on earth would i pay more when i dont have to?
Its the same journey, in the same size seat with the same view..

I cant believe i might be looked upon as a tight-fisted chav, because im certainly not these things!!

Nevermind, everyone has their opinion i guess...

Getoutofmygalley
31st Aug 2006, 12:57
My tuppance worth!

In the 2 months that easyJet have been collecting for the Anthony Nolan trust, passengers on my flights have been very generous and have donated hundreds (if not thousands) of pounds.

Do I care if people don't make a donation? - NO! They might not agree with charity donations or they might already make salary deductions to charities or they might have donated on their outbound flight.

It is not right for us as crew to make comments on a public forum as to the tight fisted nature of our pax and I am embarassed by some of the comments on this thread.

I think this thread should be closed by a moderator as it is not serving any useful purpose whatsoever :=

BaronChotzinoff
31st Aug 2006, 14:12
I hope my previous post was noted - "tight-fisted" was used at first but I have come to moderate my views.

I find the politics interesting though - I once tried to sell some raffle tickets at work (because I was asked to) but found that the only way was to go round personally asking people, and spent half a day doing this just to raise £25. One of the most grudging donors was a chap in his late 50s who spends half the time at work checking his share prices, and cut off his two sons because they wouldn't repay a loan. Oh well, I have learned now not to comment or criticise, but I find it a great shame if people feel so badly about all the vultures siphoning off their cash that they can't give to needy causes when their turn comes round.

panda-k-bear
31st Aug 2006, 15:03
But Baron, we can't give to ALL charities all the time, can we?

I have my own pet charities (I can list them, if you like!) and for my own reasons these are my chosen ones. I have a relatively good understanding of the background of them and how they operate (not funding palatial headquarters, for example).

I don't wish to contribute to charities that I know nothing about and therefore don't know where my money, in reality, will go... Sorry if there are those that don't like it!

BMED LHR
1st Sep 2006, 13:22
I'm one of the 90% scum flying them next week and yes I'm not shy with my money and I will always donate money to charity ...

Good Job Easyjet , Myself and My partner Alway's fly with you. If Standby is looking" full "and your worth every penny / pound's ..Oh now where are my flip flops and my gold ring !!

sukigirl
1st Sep 2006, 14:33
Baron I think this is a terrible thread! and before anyone says anything i know this is a forum for open discussion but this is so distasteful.
Not everyone has the spare change in their pocket and even if they do why should they give to a charity they know nothing about or where the money is going to? I know its already been said but how do you know what that person does at home and what charity that person does or doesnt contributes towards. We all have charitys we support (or would like to) as they are close to our own hearts but then there are other charitys we wouldnt feel comfortable contributing towards. Its a very personal thing, and it shouldnt be forced on anyone.
Not only do some people contribute money but there are some people who contribute there time to voluntary charity work. So just because someone doesnt throw a few coins into bag as they disembark, either because they didnt realise there was a collection,they dont have any spare change or because they just dont want to. It doesnt give anyone the right to come over all self righteous!:=

sebby
2nd Sep 2006, 01:37
At Qantas we have UNICEF envelopes in our headset packs. We collect the donations at the end of the flight, the idea is that you will donate your foreign currency coins that you cant exchange anyway. We dont shove it down your throat, its a subtle hint if you CHOOSE to do so.

Ive had people put tens of dollars in those envelopes and people who just get rid of their 20c piece... it all counts and any of it is generous. But lets not belittle people for not partaking... we get taxed so much every year yet our governments are too busy sending people to war than help any charities themselves.

Good on you if you do, good on you if you dont. :eek:

NEXT!