PDA

View Full Version : Pay Peanuts, Get Peanuts

Danny Crane
29th Aug 2006, 01:11
Still reporting what I saw whilst flying around last month, on two sectors SYD-ADL on Qantas, I was served a packet of nuts for dinner on a flight that departed at dinner time.

So much for full service eh ?

I know how cheap airline tickets are nowdays, and don't expect very much. I choose to fly Qantas domestically because I like full service airlines and it's the only one in Australia, but seriously, a packed of nuts is by no means full service.

With seat pitches nearly the same, I might as well fly Virgin and forego the packet of peanuts (I would also have to wear hearing protection to guard against the quirky antics as well :ugh: )

Pete Conrad
29th Aug 2006, 01:19
Are you for real or are you a Jetstar pilot attempting a windup? In any case, go fly on an LCC where YOU have to pay for everything, YOUR peanuts and including your pillow!!

Eagleman
29th Aug 2006, 01:38
Tell Dixon, nor pprune, he is the one one who could (wont) do anything about it or go for a fly in the US.

Danny Crane
29th Aug 2006, 02:09
Pete,

I am an ex-airline employee, have moved on to my own business some time ago. I just call it like I see it, and what I see is Qantas reducing their service quality constantly. The way I see it, they obviously want to reach the lows that are Jetstar - that's their goal, and they are well on the way to reaching it !!

I don't like it, because as a PAX I want to pay for and get get a decent product. You have miss read my post, because I don't want to fly on a LCC, but when the "full service" airline is the same as the LCC in terms of service provision, then considering flying the LCC (Virgin) is almost on my mind.

I flew Virgin once and didn't like it, mostly for their quirky cabin antics crapola, but if QF is becoming more and more like Virgin...........

Shitsu_Tonka
29th Aug 2006, 02:34
Dare I say they are becoming as similar as TN/AN?

Just in a different way.

If the airfares stay relatively low - if - then most people (if they were organised) would eat pre/post journey, and happily pocket the savings I would have thought.

If you have to travel for business - bad luck.

flitegirl
29th Aug 2006, 02:44
Danny.... is that for real? What time did your flights depart? I've been flying around the QF network for a number of years now (and still am) and it seems strange that you only got peanuts. But i'm sorry to hear that if that is the case.

QF skywalker
29th Aug 2006, 03:16
What a load of crap !

QF in-flight service has increased dramatically - you get heaps more these days than you did 2-3 years ago. Herbal teas, hot chocolate, fruit , icecreams, wider range of beers and wine, hot towels in enconomy.

I know because I serve it !

If you did get peanuts you were obviously sleeping during the meal service, but there is no such service on the QF network where you get only 'peanuts'.

Try again with your beat up of a story.

Danny Crane
29th Aug 2006, 03:37
Mister Skywalker,

- you get heaps more these days than you did 2-3 years ago.

I am afraid I can't agree what so ever on that one.

Herbal teas, hot chocolate, fruit , icecreams

Fruit - yay :D

wider range of beers and wine

RUBBISH - they now say on the PA "a limited bar service is available in the economy cabin" - which means VB, light, Chardonnay, and a WA Shiraz. Call that choice ??????? Not everybody likes chardonnay, shiraz, or VB. There used to be more beer choices and more wine choices.

hot towels in enconomy.

Certainly not between ADL & Sydney my friend !!

And yes, I did actually get served a packet of nuts. The sectors in question were during the evening on the 7Th & 9Th of this month. Oh and I forgot the other choice was an ANZAC biscuit - I chose the "pretzels" that were actually a small bag of mixed nuts and pastry thingies (they were NOT pretzels by any streatch of the imagination) - you know - the kind that don't get eaten at parties. The bag size was about one third larger than the normal peanut bag size. Oh and I could of course had a piece of fruit - sorry I forgot all about the apple. I have seen enough crew meals to know that even the crew hardly ever eat the fruit so why on earth would you poke the crap at a customer and tell them that it's good service ??? :ugh:

Those were the economy ones. The rest I flew business, which was fine. Now in business you do get everything you said economy does Mr Skywalker, are you sure you aren't getting a little confused ?

flitegirl
29th Aug 2006, 03:44
I think Skywalker is referring to the international service in economy which is great. I have to agree though the offerings on short sectors can be a little light on when it's classed as in-between a main meal time. Dissapointing if you are relying on the flight to be your meal eg if you've had a busy day.

speeeedy
29th Aug 2006, 04:00
I don't think Danny was having a go, just pointing out what our bosses should know (but sadly don't). That is if you are going to compete on the basis of being 'better' (in service levels) then you had damn well better deliver, people notice.

I have paxed a fair bit recently and am very surprised as to when meals get served. For example J Class BNE to MEL leave at 11.05 am so by the time you are airborne and the meals are being served it is almost midday with a scheduled landing of 1.15pm - now if I was a business traveller going to a meeting I would not schedule time for lunch because you would get it on board...right? Wrong! just a snack.

This is just a tiny example of how our management treat our customers with contempt.

I want us as a company to keep these high yield travellers - our future depends on it - I wish Dixon and his mates would concentrate on looking after these customers rather than screwing staff!

Fliegenmong
29th Aug 2006, 04:35
FLitegirl - QF International economy is by no stretch of the imagination great. Go and experience CX SQ BA AF and even EK Int. economy. Jaded QF long haul cabin crews held in the same disdain as QF customers by QF Management, my flying dollar simply does not go to the QF group anymore..

flitegirl
29th Aug 2006, 06:29
Fliegenmong, I wasn't suggesting that QF international Y class is outstanding (it is after all.... economy). I was simply making the comparison between Skywalker's account and the service (the "peanuts")Danny received. So therefore comparatively speaking, the international product is great compared to the domestic.

And I have flown SQ and CX. The sevice was great too.... but nothing remarkable. BA even less so. I'm yet to experience EK but do hear great reports and look forward to travelling with them one day.

5miles
29th Aug 2006, 08:24
Not everybody likes ............ VB
Hmmmm... must be a wind-up!! :uhoh:

Redstone
29th Aug 2006, 11:59
Mater of fact............I've got it now