PDA

View Full Version : ATR rolls off airport at Aberdeen

Richard Taylor
28th Aug 2006, 16:49
Atlantic ATR42 (G-RHUM I think) rolled into the security fence at ABZ, through it & ended up in a car park.
A witness claims it was about "12ft" into the car park!!! :eek:
If it was parked on the east side I can only assume it rolled into the car park occupied by Bond Offshore employees & associates. Especially if it rolled "12ft" into said car park. :hmm:

Edited to add the a/c left yesterday evening, ferried to CVT for assessment. I'm not so sure it ended up in the car park. But it did puncture the security fence.

Daysleeper
29th Aug 2006, 06:33
By using the phrase "rolls away" do you mean the ATR was un-occupied/shut down at the time?

UmmphUmmph
29th Aug 2006, 09:20
...Flight deck crew onboard, Parking Brake "Off" - Whoops! who took the chocks away?

Or so I hear tell

Richard Taylor
29th Aug 2006, 13:07
Pic in local paper today.

Certainly NOT "12ft" in any car park.

Punctured the security fence tail first, but most of the a/c remained "airside"!

Indeed crew were aboard, preparing for a charter flight.

Chocs away!!!

Don't believe a/c suffered damage. Same can't be said of the fence. :}

HowlingWind
29th Aug 2006, 13:42
It was a BP oilfield charter pre-takeoff.

An Investigation was under way last night after a plane rolled backwards into a fence at Aberdeen Airport.

The incident involving a twin-propeller ATR 42 aircraft happened at the east side of the airport shortly after 10.30am yesterday.

Owned by Atlantic Express, the 52-seater aircraft is understood to have been operated as a charter on behalf of BP. It was being used to transport offshore oil workers to Sumburgh in Shetland.

It is believed the aircraft, which only had three crew members on board, was scheduled to fly to Sumburgh shortly after the accident happened.

It appears to have rolled backwards while on the tarmac and crashed into a fence, which was badly damaged.

Fire and police units based at the airport were called out as a precaution after the alarm was raised by the crew.

The aircraft, which was not thought to have been damaged, had to remain in place while initial investigations were carried out into the cause of the mishap.

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch was informed of what had happened and later gave the all-clear for the aircraft to be towed off the tarmac pending further examination.

Aberdeen Press & Journal (http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149664&command=displayContent&sourceNode=149490&contentPK=15274509&folderPk=85696&pNodeId=149211)