View Full Version : EK & Malaria cases

Keith Discovering
28th Aug 2006, 16:23
I've just heard from a reliable source, of a recent case of malaria, apparently from Lagos. Are there many more cases out there, as seemed to be suggested to me?

EK deem it personal responsibility to take their 'prescribed and freely avaialble' medication prior to flying to malarial areas, but it begs the following questions:

a. How long can your immune system take anti malarial tablets without damage?
b. Are you expected to be on medication for the rest of your flying career 'to be covered' (and therefore EK aren't liable for your illness or possible death).
c. What are the effects of taking medication constantly?
d. How many cases of Malaria are EK getting per year?
e. Does anyone take anti malarial medication all year round?

Thanks for taking the time out to reply

Regards

Keith

typhoonpilot
28th Aug 2006, 17:54
I don't know what medication they are giving, but Lariam makes me seriously dizzy so there isn't any chance that I would be able to take it and still be fit to fly.

If I ever get the trip I was planning on taking a bottle of Gin and some Tonic to keep the malaria at bay :ok:

TP

uplock
28th Aug 2006, 18:11
Dont break out into a sweat Kieth, if you put the Mozzie Repelant with DEET (Diethyltoluamide) on you will be right. Remember you have to be mighty unlucky to get bitten by a Female Mozzie that has just bitten some one with malaria then decided to come and feast on you in the early morning or around dusk.

Had Malaria a few times myself and felt like a cold most times with back and kidney pains the first symptons however once or twice it knocked me off my feet with chills and fever and felt like **** but the tablets did not prevent me getting malaria , only lessoned the symptons and I felt my vision effected so I stopped taking them.

I would not take the tablets and if you do have any thing that resembles a cold after you do a trip get a blood test for malaria.

I also believe the clinic must have had more cases than they have let on.
Best prevention is not to get bitten.
http://imageblast.com/ibport/hirez/FUN4.JPG