PDA

View Full Version : Immigration Strike

JetPark
28th Aug 2006, 11:44
It seems sure that the threatened strike by Immigration Officials is set to proceed. People, this is going to cause untold chaos at our Ports of Entry. I am amazed at Government's lack of sensitivity to this issue. This is not good news at all for us. Let's hope it can be avoided and that the situation is being closely monitored by the role players. We have enough bad press overseas, we need no more.

JG1
28th Aug 2006, 12:02
Their demands are not being met, so they blackmail the country. Immigration should not be allowed to strike, it's like the Police, its an essential job.

I wonder if they get paid more they will be capable of offering a bit more than a surly grunt as they process your passport at a speed just between dead slow and stopped. I mean, they make a paraplegic sloth look fast:oh:

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Aug 2006, 13:56
ACSA will have to start looking at hooking up life support in their cubicles. The day is coming when they won't be able to get their huge sedentary arses out of there.:ooh:

JetPark
28th Aug 2006, 14:02
I don't think our Immigration Officers are any more surly than what I have experienced abroad myself. I was looking at them on a recent trip through LHR and I guess facing a few hundred miserable overnight long haul pax is also not the most exciting thing to do at 6am in the morning. It is difficult to motivate any Government worker - unless they are one of the fat cats of course :rolleyes:

putt for dough
28th Aug 2006, 15:21
ACSA will have to start looking at hooking up life support in their cubicles. The day is coming when they won't be able to get their huge sedentary arses out of there.:ooh:

LOL:D :D :D

fearfullflyer
29th Aug 2006, 01:24
Does anyone know how this is likely to affect travellers coming through JIA next week? Will we be allowed in? I have no doubt that as in the past queues will go on forever (if we are allowed off the aircraft) and most of us will miss our connexions!!!!! (I have 2 hours between planes).:{

About time that the SA immigration service actually showed that they could do the job before asking for more money. If this was a commercial company it would be a sound failure!!! :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

JetPark
29th Aug 2006, 05:57
Word has it that strike will commence 1st September.

Let's hope that Government wakes up before then and problem is resolved.

GULF69
29th Aug 2006, 07:05
I totally agree that this strike will definitely cause huge disruptions at the country's ports of entry, however, working closely with immigration officials (and the guys on the floor) I can totally understand why they are striking, and although the strike will even cause problems for myself, I am actually glad they are finally doing something about their situation.

Now before I get shot for saying that let me explain myself...
Having worked closely with immigration for the past say 10 years, I have a fairly good idea of what's going on, and where the shortfalls are. Clearly the Dept of home affairs is to blame. Most of the airports are understaffed with immigration officers, and due to this the ones that are working are often working very long hours, with no overtime! What's worse is that temporary immigration officers are brought in (who often don’t pitch for work), earning approx. R6000 per month! That is far more than the permanent officers get. They work for a few months then they are moved to another location. Can you imagine being a permanent immigration official, working 18 hour shifts, without any overtime, for a very low salary, dealing with grumpy passengers coming of long haul flights all day, and seeing these "temps" come in earning 6g's a month? I'd also be upset! Furthermore countless requests have gone to Home Affairs (specifically referring to CPT) for more staff members, but to no avail. CPT is supposed to have approx 60 immigration officials. I think they have around 20 at the moment!

They have some valid gripes, but the strike could have been avoided if Home Affairs listened to their problems long ago, and not just let their comments fall on deaf ears.

My 2c worth.

JetPark
30th Aug 2006, 05:40
Guys, here is the latest press release ex-NowMedia:

30 August 2006
SA immigration strike update

DISCUSSIONS are underway to avert a "crippling" SA immigration officials’ strike due to begin on September 1.
The Department of Home Affairs has submitted a proposal to the Public Servants Association (PSA), which represents these officials and this is being reviewed, says the Association’s Manie de Clerq.
An announcement will be made by tomorrow afternoon (Aug 31) on whether or not the strike will be called off.
The strike threat is a result of failed negotiations on an outstanding salary dispute between the officials and Home Affairs.
Says the Board of Airline Representatives ceo, June Crawford: “Barsa has issued a call on the Department of Home Affairs, as well as the Ministry, to urgently communicate the status of the planned strike by latest Thursday morning as airlines will need to cancel international flights by Thursday evening to prevent their passengers from being impacted – a decision which will negatively impact tourism and international tourists’ perception of the country.”

putt for dough
30th Aug 2006, 05:49
Whats the bet that this strike won't be called off.
Since when have you heard in our bright and colourful
pasts of strikes being cancelled?

Brace yourselves :suspect:

cavortingcheetah
30th Aug 2006, 06:27
:hmm:

Not to worry!

By some amazing good chance of fortune June Crawford is a speech and drama associate of Trinity College, London, a qualification which, I feel sure, most ably prepares her for her role ahead in the development BARSA, the Board of Airline Representatives of South Africa.:ugh: ?

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Aug 2006, 06:42
Wonder if FIFA is having second thoughts yet?:suspect:

Those ivory towers must be prime real estate with the wonderful view they have which obscures all the crap.:}

FUG
30th Aug 2006, 08:17
The unofficial story starting to come out after this mornings meeting is that the strike will not go ahead. Evidently there is still 1 small union that has not withdrawn their notice to strike.

This may mean 2 officials instead of 3 on arrival on Friday morning.

JetPark
30th Aug 2006, 13:23
No, it's not the train that's on its way to hit us, latest information is that the Union will make an announcement in the next hour. It appears as if agreement may have been reached :ok:

putt for dough
31st Aug 2006, 09:29
Hi everybody

Whats the latest to this story? Are they or aint they?

Or are they leaving it till the last possible moment to let
the public know?:ugh:

Cheers

JetPark
31st Aug 2006, 09:34
From what I have been able to gather this morning, when they said "an announcement would be made within the next hour" seems they meant the same time the next day :{ Maybe we'll hear today? My ears are close to the ground.

putt for dough
31st Aug 2006, 10:35
Thanks mate!:ok:

My bro is getting on a flight from LHR in a few
hours so I would like to give him a heads up if thats
possible, depends on whether the union would be
so kind as to let us know of their impending decision.

JetPark
31st Aug 2006, 12:16
Well, looks like we're gonna be ok :ok:

THE Public Servants Association (PSA) has called off the immigration official strike, on account of the Department of Home Affairs agreeing to meet a “significant” percentage of the union’s requirements. “We took the decision to suspend the strike action, as it did not seem necessary to cripple the country’s economy on account of 15% to 20% of the issues that were not met by the department,” says the PSA’s Manie De Clerq.
Discussions between the department and the PSA will continue in an attempt to address the remaining issues, which are mostly administrative in nature.

Breaking news from NowMedia

putt for dough
31st Aug 2006, 12:57
:) Sweet bud, thanks for that!

GULF69
31st Aug 2006, 13:30
"business as usual" then........ whether that's good or bad is a different story'!!