PDA

View Full Version : Airline Boarding Music

flymeoutofhere
28th Aug 2006, 10:07
Usually airlines tend to go for relaxing songs whilst passangers board an aircraft. Of course, others abandon this and play anything! :)

What does your airline play whilst passangers board.

Fernando_Covas
28th Aug 2006, 10:18
I once dispatched an Easyjet where the No.1 played the theme to Benny Hill during boarding.

EI896
28th Aug 2006, 10:52
Yes when I boarded an Air France they also tended to go with relaxing songs.

But Benny Hill that's funny!!! lol:) :}

bia botal
28th Aug 2006, 11:14
"Ryanairs new balls eye baggies, Vodka, Cognac, Whiskey, Gin, Rum. buy one get one free".

Now thats relaxing "hic"

more beer.

flymeoutofhere
28th Aug 2006, 11:34
I once dispatched an Easyjet where the No.1 played the theme to Benny Hill during boarding.
LOL :)

Yes when I boarded an Air France they also tended to go with relaxing songs.
Which artists do they use, or do you know song names.

Ryanairs new balls eye baggies, Vodka, Cognac, Whiskey, Gin, Rum. buy one get one free".
Not a surprise. Maybe they just don't want to splash out on royalties.

janetplum
28th Aug 2006, 11:37
We have a wide range of boarding music at *** channel 1 the blue danube, channel 2 the cuckoo waltz channel 3 Tommy Steele having a crack at Phantom of the Opera

take-off
28th Aug 2006, 12:18
can anyone remember back when britannia used to play music when you were coming into land, used to be my fave charter airline at least back then 'royal service' meant somat, look at it now...:{ what was once a great airline. but back to music can remember landing one nite at tenerife airport to m people and when we got on plane an man it was playing we taxied to it and landed in tenerife to it , even now when i hear that song it just reminds me of that holiday and that particular flight....good times, have to be honest never been on a flight since where theres been music in cabin...,

appologies for any spelling and no puncutaton , night worker just about to fall off his perch!!!

take-off
28th Aug 2006, 12:27
just had a thort, god forbid ryanair and asda gettin together , then ud get asda fm blaring in yer ears as your taking off, they'd have the cabin crew tapping the bums every time the jingle was on!!!!!:uhoh: :uhoh: :ugh:

flymeoutofhere
28th Aug 2006, 12:44
now when i hear that song it just reminds me of that holiday and that particular flight....

Yes, sometimes a good song can do that.

just had a thort, god forbid ryanair and asda gettin together , then ud get asda fm blaring in yer ears as your taking off, they'd have the cabin crew tapping the bums every time the jingle was on!!!!!:uhoh: :uhoh: :ugh:

Please. I dont even want to imagine.

It would be even worse if they established their own station which they played on a loop constantly throughout the whole flight.

flybywire
28th Aug 2006, 18:22
We have soothing music at BA - apart from when we have a deaf Purser who plays it really loud ;) :E

I remember last 1st of april a colleague of mine got fed up with having to tell passengers to stay in their seats after landing everytime, so as soon as the seatbelt sign was off at the end of the last sector he played benny hill from his ipod via the PA - It was really hillarious seeing all these people quickly taking their bags, bumping onto each other to see who'd get out first...the song was appropriate, as their movements were twice as fast as "normal" people!! LOL:E

10secondsurvey
28th Aug 2006, 19:29
With BA, after a week of many flights with them, I find myself humming their tune (the flower duet by Delibes) everywhere I go, even if they don't play it. Do BA CC do this, as they must hear it more often than I do?

Glasgow_Flyer
28th Aug 2006, 19:41
can anyone remember back when britannia used to play music when you were coming into land, used to be my fave charter airline at least back then 'royal service' meant somat, look at it now...:{ what was once a great airline. but back to music can remember landing one nite at tenerife airport to m people and when we got on plane an man it was playing we taxied to it and landed in tenerife to it , even now when i hear that song it just reminds me of that holiday and that particular flight....good times, have to be honest never been on a flight since where theres been music in cabin...,

I remember my first flight ever which was with Britannia in 1981 (I was 5!) - they played Michael Jackson's One Day in your Life. As you stay - still remember the holiday and associate it with that song!

flybywire
28th Aug 2006, 19:43
With BA, after a week of many flights with them, I find myself humming their tune (the flower duet by Delibes) everywhere I go, even if they don't play it. Do BA CC do this, as they must hear it more often than I do?

Believe me, it's everywhere, if you call crewing and they put you on hold there it is....if you call recruitment there it is....reservations....even there...staff travel...oh my god!!!
They do have different versions of it though, some of them are very pleasant!

I do hum it sometimes, however not when I am at work as my colleagues would kill me ;)
Our boarding music is not Delibes though, it's something different that reminds me of the sound of the sea. We stopped playing delibes a couple of years ago as customers asked us to vary it!

10secondsurvey
28th Aug 2006, 20:00
Flybywire

Maybe it's in my mind from phoning them, I'm not sure? On a recent flight I'm pretty sure they either played the delibes piece or the other 'BA theme tune' by Verdi (I think), which they used in Ads quite a few years ago.

Anyway, the marketing folks must be pleased, I think of BA, and I think of the flower duet. Which is quite sad, really..

TSR2
28th Aug 2006, 20:39
Take-Off ... Spot on there. I remember many moons ago landing at Orlando International (Yes Orlando Int.) on a Britannia B767 to the Neil Diamond classic 'America'.

the_fish@blueyonder.
28th Aug 2006, 23:07
I've had Ryanair play music once on a flight back from Rome last summer. I can't remember what it was, but it was just a background tune to a song, with no words. On my last flight with them (LBC-STN) they played thier own adverts over the radio, quite loudly.

Flying with BA, I have never heard the familiar tune, but accoridng to my sister they played it when she was lanidng at Phoenix last summer. They had it continue while disembarkation took place too. They may have played it on a recent flight of mine back from BUD, but the song may have actually just been going through my head from the expectation of them playing it. :uhoh:

Bangkokeasy
29th Aug 2006, 05:34
TG often play compositions by the King of Thailand. He is quite an accomplished musician and has been known to play as well as compose. Mostly easy-listening jazz style.

As for Ryanair, I would think "Home on the range", or maybe the theme from "Rawhide", would be about their mark.

TightSlot
29th Aug 2006, 09:28
Sadly, Britannia/Thomsonfly chopped the boarding music some time ago: Bean counters advised that doing so would save approx £30-£40k p.a. in royalty payments. Now we have a boarding video, choc full of information about feature movies an onboard sales bargains, interspersed with a couple of up-to-date music vids. I'm sure this is better, but I find it worse, but then I'm getting old and cranky. Presumably the original bean counters that made the aving have now been replaced with somebody else? What goes aroundd, come around...

The SSK
29th Aug 2006, 09:40
Many years ago flew out of Rome on Sabena. The boarding music was Joe Dolce's 'Shaddapp-a you face'. Bet the Italians loved that.

ALLDAYDELI
29th Aug 2006, 09:55
Virgin used to have trendy modern music on boarding/deplaning. Do they still do it?
BMI regional/domestic shorthaul play music, not on every flight though. It lacks consistency whether they do or not.

Fernando_Covas
29th Aug 2006, 10:11
RE Britannia.

I too can remember my first flight. It was from Bristol to Cyprus. I can't remember the boarding music at Bristol but as we landed in Larnaca, The Beatles "Here comes the sun" was piped through the cabin. Can anyone remember the boiled sweets and newspapers?

But the worst I have ever heard has to be Balkan Holidays. I was dispatching one flight and I wanted to string myself up. It was really depressing Bulgarian folk music. It probably sounded happy a cheerful to the crew but not to I.

the_fish@blueyonder.
29th Aug 2006, 11:36
RE Britannia.
Can anyone remember the boiled sweets and newspapers?

I remember the boiled sweets, why are these still not handed out flights? I guess loco's want to save money, but on airlines like BA and other fulls ervice carriers, this would be a nice addition, especially for less frequent flyers who will suffer more from the pressure changes.

docash1983
29th Aug 2006, 12:44
I remember my first flight too, its was Airtours from East Midlands to Lanzarote they handed out sweets then too. They probably don't hand out the sweets anymore for the cost incured as said above, and in case some poor bugger chokes during take off, can you imagine the legal ramifications:eek: .

cheeryguy
29th Aug 2006, 14:08
landing at MIA the crew put Will Smith "Miami" over the PA system, really apt and got the cabin into a vacation mode....pure BA class!

TightSlot
29th Aug 2006, 15:28
and in case some poor bugger chokes during take off, can you imagine the legal ramifications:eek: .

Quite!! After three successful lawsuits against us for choking our customers, the boiled sweets went too...

Crowe
29th Aug 2006, 16:14
Luftie long haul used to have an instrumental version of a Dido track - all very fine and relaxing unless you'd heard the vocal version, where the chorus was "I will go down with this ship"...:eek:

Globaliser
29th Aug 2006, 16:30
Maybe it's in my mind from phoning them, I'm not sure? On a recent flight I'm pretty sure they either played the delibes piece or the other 'BA theme tune' by Verdi (I think), which they used in Ads quite a few years ago.Long haul BA sometimes has the Dvorak Serenade for Strings playing as boarding music.Luftie long haul used to have an instrumental version of a Dido track - all very fine and relaxing unless you'd heard the vocal version, where the chorus was "I will go down with this ship"...:eek:No worse than cruise ships that welcome you with versions - sometimes even the original - of My Heart Will Go On. :E

take-off
30th Aug 2006, 08:27
recently flown on monarch and first choice like previous posts all u get is a video selling u stuff , not the same as having music to relax u and take mind off the actual take off, which i think is what worries any nervous or regular passaenger somewhere at back of ur mind is will it to gett off the ground, miss the old britannia, that was a great airline , still anything that dont make money these days has to go dont it?:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: doesnt seem to matter that the passenger/ customer has an enjoyable experience which inturn cause a repeat customer, if it dont look good on paper...sorry guys drifting off subject there....

tea_please
31st Aug 2006, 10:13
No, 'take-off', First Choice still play the music on boarding and take off/landing - certainly not a video. Varies from aircraft to aircraft though. My favourite is G-OOOX (757) - you never know when the music is going to start or how loud it will be but there is only one track, I Just Can't Get Enough (Radio Edit) 3:10 Herd & Fitz featuring Abigail Bailey I Just Can't Get Enough Dance, love it - it's like being in a club - especially on a night ibiza! Also - Christina's Voice Within always seems to be present on the 767 blast off - very depressing :sad:

10secondsurvey
31st Aug 2006, 10:23
Boarding music isn't appreciated if it's too loud. It should be really unobtrusive.

BALIX
31st Aug 2006, 11:15
Here's a great idea - why not play no music whatsoever. While we are at it, ban it from shops, restaurants or anywhere else where it is piped in for the 'benefit' of the customers. It is, almost without exception, crap.

:*

flybywire
31st Aug 2006, 11:22
Here's a great idea - why not play no music whatsoever. While we are at it, ban it from shops, restaurants or anywhere else where it is piped in for the 'benefit' of the customers. It is, almost without exception, crap.
:*

I take from your words that you're no musician...;)

I remember in 1995/1996 British Airways used to play the Concertos for Violin and Orchestra by J.S.Bach. I remember it well because I was studying the one in E major the first time I heard it on board, and couldn't stop singing it for the rest of that flight. Amazingly enough I came to the UK the following year to play that concerto with a famous English orchestra.

It was a great choice of music, used to be put on upon boarding and switched off before the doors were closed, it was not loud and was proper, lovely music.

FBW

10secondsurvey
31st Aug 2006, 11:41
Balix,

I kind of agree. Muzak is used much too often.

I don't mind boarding music on flights after 9am, provided it is on really quiet, and is non obtrusive quiet music. I hate it very early in the morning- I just think why??

Unfortnately, with some airlines, I think the cc see it as an opportunity to play their favourite 'tracks' at full volume. It really should never be obtrusive, only barely audible, and stop when the doors are closed.

I can really live without it. If I want to actually listen to music, then I'd like to choose it myself on my ipod.

flybywire
31st Aug 2006, 14:33
In the good old times boarding music was there to welcome the guests, and relax those people who were a bit tense because of the flight/environment. I remember it used to work with me (I was a terrible flyer before I got my first job as cabin crew) and I remember I used to find it conforting.

If now CC play their own favourite tracks very loud I do not know. We are not allowed to play our own stuff and I do not know of anybody who does at least in my base. Amongst the other things there could be economical repercussions as the airline should pay copyrights to use certain songs, that's why some airlines have ad-hoc music, even some composed on purpose, just for them.

10secondsurvey
31st Aug 2006, 15:17
Flybywire,

I understand. When I said 'playing their favourite tracks' I was referring to the music selections they have, as on some flights, they seem to have multiple tracks available.

On some airlines, they play non-calming music overly loud, and I can only assume (but I'll admit I don't know) that the cc enjoy it nice and loud.

I agree with you, it should be soothing and calming music, and it should only really be barely audible.

BALIX
1st Sep 2006, 13:54
I take from your words that you're no musician...;)

Nope, not at all. I do appreciate music, though. Well, some music. And therein lies the problem. Music appreciation is a very subjective thing. I almost stopped going to the gym because they insisted on playing Ibiza Club Pish 1999 or suchlike. In the end I got myself an ipod and listen to the stuff I actually like, though I would still like the option of no music at all.

Had a great flight with TCX to Toronto recently but even that had some jingle playing over and over again until we got airborne. That wasn't even real music...

I can't abide piped music of any kind, even if it is the stuff I actually like. You can't effectively close your ears :\

gorgeous spotter
1st Sep 2006, 20:20
recently flown on monarch and first choice like previous posts all u get is a video selling u stuff , not the same as having music to relax u and take mind off the actual take off, which i think is what worries any nervous or regular passaenger somewhere at back of ur mind is will it to gett off the ground, miss the old britannia, that was a great airline , still anything that dont make money these days has to go dont it?:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: doesnt seem to matter that the passenger/ customer has an enjoyable experience which inturn cause a repeat customer, if it dont look good on paper...sorry guys drifting off subject there....

I remember flying back from Malaga with Monarch in 96 and before taxing for take off they were playing George Micheal's 'Jesus to A Child', a lovely relaxing slow song. I remember getting caught up in the moment, (because George was big then, before any scandals...:cool: .) and it totally let me relax and forget about about the subsequent storm up the runway. Brilliant! Sadly though, no more.

flybywire
1st Sep 2006, 20:41
I almost stopped going to the gym because they insisted on playing Ibiza Club Pish 1999 or suchlike.

I agree, and wouldn't call that Music at all....it's just bad quality noise!! :yuk:

I'd rather listen to the sound of the engines then, some really have something musical about them :E

take-off
2nd Sep 2006, 07:38
No, 'take-off', First Choice still play the music on boarding and take off/landing - certainly not a video. Varies from aircraft to aircraft though. My favourite is G-OOOX (757) - you never know when the music is going to start or how loud it will be but there is only one track, I Just Can't Get Enough (Radio Edit) 3:10 Herd & Fitz featuring Abigail Bailey I Just Can't Get Enough Dance, love it - it's like being in a club - especially on a night ibiza! Also - Christina's Voice Within always seems to be present on the 767 blast off - very depressing :sad:

fight we had last year to tenerfe had no music was a badly dubbed video showing 'highlights' of the inflight entertainment, the usual old slop of one foot in the grave, keeping up apperences , only fools and horse...etc... i know piped music can be a pain but for some pax especially on charter flight they rarely flying , the rite music can be calming and get u seettled and in the mood, i agree music bangin away doesnt help, some easy listening/popish middle of the road is best, and not too loud, just so u can hear it .

*Zwitter*
2nd Sep 2006, 10:40
I boarded a malaysian 747 once and they were playing the 'romantic' music from Airplane!

had me in stitches!

redsnail
2nd Sep 2006, 16:54
I believe Slasher used to insist his CC play "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC. :E

aviatordom
22nd Dec 2008, 21:07
Sorry to bump up this thread, it's over 2 years old, but anyway...

on my last EZY flight back in April i heard a catchy piece of instrumental boarding music. Would really appreciate it if any EZY crew here could direct me on to where i could find the name of this piece of music or who produced it....

If it helps, the a/c was an A319.

MarlboroLite
23rd Dec 2008, 00:20
I seem to remember that back in the 1980's Brittania used to play a Jean Michelle Jarre tune on boarding and taxi. I think the same music was used for Dr Mirriam Stoppards programme on ITV too.

Tango and Cash
23rd Dec 2008, 01:05
Distinctly remember boarding a USAir flight from Philadelpia to Germany (Munich?--memory a little hazy) to the Celiene Dion theme song from the movie Titanic, which was still in theaters at the time. I found this rather ironic, but several nervous flyers in the group found it less amusing.

Can't say I recall hearing boarding music on a flight since...

Tango

OFSO
25th Dec 2008, 10:10
'Remember boarding a Philipine Airlines DC-10 in Paris and listening to Imelda Marcos singing "One Fine Day" from Madam Butterfly. Great.

I see nobody has mentioned the "Landing Ahead of Schedule" music on a certain well-known loco. Sure beats the pathetic applause you get landing on Condor flights-to-the-sun.

R

28th Dec 2008, 16:20
The much-loved (well by those of us who got used to its foibles) Loganair once played 'Ghost Riders in the Sky' on a Shorts 360 prior to departing MAN for EDI - without a trace of irony.

Sir Lee B´stard
2nd Jan 2009, 13:39
Further to the post above mentioning the theme to Titanic, about 10 years ago during a very difficult and turbulent approach into Belfast Aldergrove the No 1 noticed a number of pax looking anxious - it was very unpleasant - and started the tape player only to hear the said theme! (Titanic was built in Belfast) Apparently the whole cabin erupted into laughter.:D End of anxiety.

BaronChotzinoff
2nd Jan 2009, 19:04
For Ryanair, something by E J Moeran (http://www.moeran.com/MusicVocal.html#)?

For EJ, something by Nikolaos Skalkottas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolaos_Skalkottas).

For BA, something by Edward Elgar. This would do for Deutsche BA too as Elgar was greatly influenced by the works of Richard Wagner. (Very important to make that point.)

PAXboy
3rd Jan 2009, 15:00
I think you will find that dba was sold and then through various stages until merged into it's (eventual) new parent, Air Berlin.

Twinstar2007
11th Dec 2010, 10:59
What about Emirates

Coquelet
11th Dec 2010, 16:33
Boarding music at Ryanair is an extract from "Eine kleine Nachtmusik", by Mozart (KV 525).

SLF3
18th Dec 2010, 13:13
Discussed music on planes with an industrial psychiatrist friend who told me 'they play music when they think you should be scared.....'