PDA

View Full Version : Passenger DEFO upgrade

Mach75
28th Aug 2006, 06:17
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering: for the new DEFO's that are expected to be hired onto the passenger fleet for North American bases, when the time comes for them to be upgraded to captain are they going to be expected to take a Hong Kong base for a period of time - like the current passenger F/O's do when they upgrade?

Also, with CX expecting to hire so many of these DEFO's for North American bases, will this reduce the number of available positions in these bases if an F/O who is currently Hong Kong-based wanted to take a North American basing sometime in the future?

Thanks.

404 Titan
28th Aug 2006, 09:05
Mach75

In answer to your first question “yes”. Just like existing FO’s that upgrade on the pax fleet, you must return to HK for your upgrade. If you want to return onto the base after your time in HK you can reapply for a base as a captain but it will be awarded in seniority order. So there is a very good chance you may have to wait a while.

In response to your second question, I don’t think the number of slots that will be eventually put aside for North American DEFO bases will be as many as you think. The current number the company is talking about for Sydney and Melbourne is 45. Sydney is currently a triple daily service and Melbourne is almost double daily. The number of slots that will be available will be subject to the frequency of the service and the number of slots left over after existing FO’s have bid for the bases.

And finally regarding your last question, yes it will effect current FO’s that want to take a North American and Australian base. The company has just admitted that they must offer all the bases to existing FO’s before the first DEFO can be employed by the company on the pax fleet. It’s in our conditions of service.

psy clops
28th Aug 2006, 09:44
The company has just admitted that they must offer all the bases to existing FO’s before the first DEFO can be employed by the company on the pax fleet.And 'suitably qualified' SO's

404 Titan
28th Aug 2006, 10:33
psy clops

Yes my mistake, and 'suitably qualified' SO's

Mach75
28th Aug 2006, 11:28
Thanks for the reply 404 TITAN, great post.
Just wondering: what about S/O's who get hired after the North American slots have all been filled by the new-hire DEFO's? Will this essentially close the possibility of F/O's being able to take basings outside of Hong Kong or will it continue to work like a "revolving door" where, as qualifying F/O's return to Hong Kong for their captain upgrade, new openings for are continuously becoming available?

I'mbatman
28th Aug 2006, 16:19
So a JFK DEFO can't wait to upgrade to JFK Captain? You MUST go to HK to upgrade?

Kane Toed
29th Aug 2006, 06:57
I'mbatman wrote:
You MUST go to HK to upgrade?What a nightmare! Joining a Hong Kong airline and having to live IN Hong Kong for a while. What's THAT all about?
:*