PDA

View Full Version : Guildford = Castlemaine (YCAL)

UnderneathTheRadar
28th Aug 2006, 01:50
Can anyone tell me if Guildford strip (south of Bendigo) shown on the Hamilton WAC is the same strip listed in the AOPA airfield directory as Castlemaine (YCAL) - 5NM SSE of Castlemaine? Guildford doesn't get mentioned anywhere else I can find.

I have vague memories of planning a trip to Guildford years ago as a PPl nav but we must have diverted elsewhere.

Does anyone know of any other strips in the Maldon area I could get a Lance into?

Thanks,

UTR.

Di_Vosh
28th Aug 2006, 02:43
ERSA mentions both YGUI and YCAL. The "Guildford" on the Hamilton WAC is the same one as "Castlemaine" in my VIC/TAS Country airstrip guide (haven't got the AOPA one).

I've flown into there twice on CPL training flights; Once was in an Arrow IV (T-tail) and I can say that the drop off at the end of 09 came up pretty fast while I was trying to get airborne. :ooh:

Maybe Maryborough is the next best?

DIVOSH!

Love Monkey
29th Aug 2006, 00:12
The Guildford strip is the closest ALA to Castlemaine/Maldon, followed by Bendigo and Kyneton. There are 2 strips, from memory 09/27 900m and 18/36 600m. The airfield sits on a local plateau (1100' elevation) and has 500' cliffs off the southern and eastern thresholds.
Have operated a Baron from the airfield (09/27) with no problems, though I remember needing most of 36 to get airborne on a 37 degree day in a 172' a few years ago. There was a landing fee of $1 for singles and $2 for twins to be pushed through a coin slot in the hangar (nice touch!).

The strip is good for CPL Navs as it requires a bit of purist navigating to locate, and there is an abandoned WWII strip in the paddock immediately to the north east which can cause a bit of confusion, though this is verydelapidated and hard to spot.

The field is only 3km from Guildford and about 8 from Caslemaine CBD. The pub at Guildford does a great counter meal, and you used to be able to get bacon and eggs and a jug of beer for $8.50 between 7 -9 am, a bargain in anyones book, and good to relax the CPL student for the trip home.

UnderneathTheRadar
4th Sep 2006, 00:01
Thanks all for the advice. Went in yesterday with no problems.

Anyone planning to use in the future, watch out for the hidden concrete lighting stands hidden just off the gravel centre by weeds/grass etc.

Regards,

UTR.

podbreak
4th Sep 2006, 06:45
what a freakin awesome strip. Was in there last year in a B58, the runway was only as wide as the gear and the grass either was waist high! And that drop off! FUN!!!!