PDA

View Full Version : Visiting NZ and Oz

cdnfssgal
28th Aug 2006, 01:11
Heading for NZ and OZ for the month of February. Flying in and out of Sydney, and visiting vacationing relatives on the North Island. What MUST I see?

notmyC150v2
28th Aug 2006, 01:33
To answer your question: Cruise Sydney Harbour, swim at Bondi and/or Cronulla, climb the harbour bridge (mortgage may be necessary to buy ticket), fly around the blue mountains (buzz the three sisters), have a picnic in the botanic gardens, and for dinner you can either eat at Harry's Cafe De Wheels at Wooloomooloo or lash out for seafood at Doyles Watsons Bay.

That should see one weekend anyway...:}

If you want to live past 3 minutes after landing LOOK RIGHT BEFORE CROSSING THE ROAD!!! Just a friendly reminder that we do things different hereabouts.:eek:

cdnfssgal
28th Aug 2006, 01:39
If you want to live past 3 minutes after landing LOOK RIGHT BEFORE CROSSING THE ROAD!!! Just a friendly reminder that we do things different hereabouts.:eek:

MMMM...Yes...visited Bermuda with a friend who couldn't quite grasp that, when riding our mopeds :ouch:

Thanks for the other suggestions. Obviously just starting my list of things to do and see, at this early date, but will put them on the list!

kookabat
28th Aug 2006, 02:56
fly around the blue mountains (buzz the three sisters),

Just watch out for 35kt westerlies if you're trying that one. Can make for a somewhat uncomfortable flight!!

NDB Alpha
28th Aug 2006, 07:14
If you want some REAL excitement....how about doing one of the RNAV approaches into Queenstown in IMC to minima, then wait for a blue sky day to see just where you went.:eek:

NDB Alpha
28th Aug 2006, 07:23
Actually if you want a bit of excitement then Queenstown is the place (provided you survive the approach:uhoh: )
Bungie jump, skiing, hanggliding, parasailing, base jumping, aerobatics, luging....
you name it it's probably there....and if stunning scenery is your thing then there's enough here for even the most seasoned traveller. If you're in the area then don't miss Wanaka Aerodrome, location of the Warbirds Over Wanaka airshow...take a peek in a few hangars around there...you'll find Polikapovs, Harvards, Mustangs, Kittyhawks, Lavochkin, Albatross, plus a few other types.

If volcanic activity is more you scene then don't miss Rotorua (Rotovegas to the locals), more boiling mud and geysers than you can shake your fist at. Take a helicopter ride out to White Island if you're keen on strolling round a (very) active volcano...spectacular.

Oh...just read your inital post...Queenstown is in the SOUTH Island, but Rotovega is in the North and well worth the visit!

Kickatinalong
28th Aug 2006, 11:53
Look at the ERSA re: FNA Blue Mountains first, may save some probs. later.
If you wish I'll take you and we can also do a Victor one 500' over water down past Sydney. just PM me.
Kickatinalong

cdnfssgal
29th Aug 2006, 00:25
The only flying I personally plan to do is the back with drink in hand. But thanx for all the ideas :)

hazatude
29th Aug 2006, 01:34
Keep your babies away from the dingos!

sprogette
29th Aug 2006, 03:13
If you have time in NZ, definitely get down to Queenstown or even Milford Sound on the south island... even getting the ferry from Wellington to Picton across the Cook Strait is quite beautiful and Kaikoura on the east coast of the south island (about 1.5hrs north or Christchurch) is amazing too (sealife, beach and mountains all in one hit)

if you don't have time, then the Coromandel Peninsula on the north island is beautiful, Rotorua is very interesting with its multi-coloured sulphur springs, and Mt Whakapapa (you'll laugh when you hear how its pronounced, "wh" = "ph") down the south end of the north island is meant to have some great walks. If you're into hiking NZ is the place to do it, they have an extensive trail hut system maintained by the Dept of Conservation and no cougars or bears to worry about....

Have a great time - oh yeah, February tends to be the hottest month...

ContactMeNow
29th Aug 2006, 03:49
Just watch out for 35kt westerlies if you're trying that one. Can make for a somewhat uncomfortable flight!!

Idiot...:hmm:

There is always one in a crowd...

Keep it up mate :ok:

CMN :E

jon s gull
29th Aug 2006, 05:07
Oz is big, really BIG, like Canada but warmer and flatter, especially in feb [the warmer bit that is]. Which bits are you visiting and what are your hobbies, we cater for wine buffs , beer drinkers , culture nuts, waterskiers, scuba divers , the list goes on and on so give us a clue.

cdnfssgal
30th Aug 2006, 22:31
Oz is big, really BIG, like Canada but warmer and flatter, especially in feb [the warmer bit that is]. Which bits are you visiting and what are your hobbies, we cater for wine buffs , beer drinkers , culture nuts, waterskiers, scuba divers , the list goes on and on so give us a clue.

Well, Sydney is my starting/ending point in Oz, so probably stick to the eastern side. And everything you mentioned, except waterskiing, I have been known to partake of. (Well, I have waterskied..once...wasn't pretty :ouch: ).

cdnfssgal
30th Aug 2006, 22:34
Keep your babies away from the dingos!

Haz, you KNOW I don't have babies!

troppo
30th Aug 2006, 22:42
Why would you want to go to Australia in the first place?
A simple google search with the following terms should explain why...Australia Convicts History :E
Just go straight to NZ...much nicer people from the good stock :ok:

cdnfssgal
30th Aug 2006, 22:50
Why would you want to go to Australia in the first place?
A simple google search with the following terms should explain why...Australia Convicts History :E
Just go straight to NZ...much nicer people from the good stock :ok:

LOL...well, if I'm flying that far...I figure I should see as much as I can of both! Plus the "seat sale" was to Oz, not NZ? Might as well stop while I'm there.

troppo
30th Aug 2006, 22:55
and kiwis are much better at rugby, netball, basketball, league and we've never lost the ashes to the poms :p :E

jon s gull
31st Aug 2006, 02:43
Whilst sydney is a nice enough city, has some good pubs, is near to the hunter valley wine region, one of Australia's more unique features is the Great Barrier Reef. Just a coupla thousand kays up the coast more or less, and some of the best sailing , scuba , and drinking spots in the region. Feb is a bit warmish up there though[not to mention the cyclones, box jellies, and tiger sharks] so the southern part, say Keppel Is , may be best. Must be someone on here from that region.
I'm inland myself so let us know if you are going west of the mountains.

cdnfssgal
31st Aug 2006, 10:57
:) Thanks for all the replies so far! There is SO much on the internet, it's great to have some suggestions from the locals to help narrow it down a bit. Keep 'em coming, please!

chief wiggum
31st Aug 2006, 23:29
hmmm ... visiting Sydney -

WHAT ABOUT A PISSUP ????????

I don't think we have had one yet, and what better excuse than to welcome a fellow pruner to our shores !

any suggestions ?

Monty77
4th Sep 2006, 09:29
Just got back from a month in NZ with a weekend in Sydney in the middle - holiday of a lifetime type thing.

In Sydney, I wouldn't do the actual walk over the top of the harbour bridge. It's very costly and takes most of the day out. Better to walk the pedestrian path next to the roadway and go up into the little museum located in the Western tower which has viewing platforms 360 degrees. Captain Cook harbour tour was good value. Had a nice lunch at the Waterside restaurant overlooking the bay and an old-fashioned sailing ship.

In NZ, you have got to go 'zorbing' at Rotorua if your family are near there. Mrs Monty and I were loaded into a giant plastic ball, several gallons of warm water were added and we were rolled 100 metres down a slope. It's called 'the wash cycle' and I haven't laughed so much in ages. Internal flights aren't too expensive, so if you can get to Queenstown, do. The Shotover River Jet boat ride was a must - really skilled drivers whizz you inches past the canyon walls and do neat little 360 degree turns. Don't bother with the Lake boat ride - tame by comparison. Wish we'd done the white water rafting. Novotel in Queenstown is position A - next to lake and town. Snow was the best they've had in a while so the skiing was great

The Kiwis are really nice, laid back folk. Except for that Scottish copper who did me for 75kph in a 60kph, no other traffic about. He had some sort of fiendish forward-looking radar on his car to catch oncoming traffic. Watch for that.

I know I had holiday goggles on, but it looked like a great place to live. Will definitely go back during their summer one day.

Enjoy!:)

cdnfssgal
4th Sep 2006, 21:01
Thanks Monty, for the info. Sounds like some good touristy tips :)

cdnfssgal
4th Sep 2006, 21:18
hmmm ... visiting Sydney -

WHAT ABOUT A PISSUP ????????

I don't think we have had one yet, and what better excuse than to welcome a fellow pruner to our shores !

any suggestions ?

Hmmm...I have been threatened ( perhaps I should say "promised" :) ) with a pissup already by an e-friend from a Canadian aviation forum who is Sydney based. See if we can roll those into one...or not :p

But I agree: great excuse (I can't believe you Sydney ppruners haven't had a bash yet!).

P.S.: Though I am a newish ppruner if you're going by my membership date, I have been reading it for years. (Hate to be thought of as some newbie instigator! http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/icons/mpangel.gif )

ju7ez
5th Sep 2006, 03:11
I realise that you said that you wouldn't be doing any of the flying personally but i found this one day and thought it was a great way for visiting pilots to see the south island Flyinn NZ (http://flyinn.co.nz/). South Island is a must!

c100driver
5th Sep 2006, 05:48
If you are visiting New Zealand and planning on flying here is a free site built by a couple of aviation nuts for the enjoyment of fellow pilots.

http://www.flythisweekend.co.nz/

Cheers

Monty77
5th Sep 2006, 16:20
That hukajet package looks good. I was like a kid in a sweetshop - so much to do, so little time. Personally, I shied away from bungy jumps. Not because I'm scared - obviously. I just don't like heights...er no, detached retinas.

I used tripadvisor.com as a very informative source on which you could get tips from backpackers ranging to millionaires on what to see and do based on your budget.

I had intended to splurge on a flight from Queenstown to Milford Sound, do the boat trip with lunch and fly back. Highly decadent, but when will you do it again? Sadly for me, it didn't work out.....one day.

One trap to avoid: do not attempt to 'do' NZ in a car and see all the sights. It can't be done. If you want to spend 10 hours a day in a car save yourself the money and set off round the M25 London orbital on a Friday afternoon.

Pick a few places and spend 3-4 days there. Use internal flights - it beats 7 hour drives.

Some folk also try to save money by camper-vanning it. Others contend it is better to get a hire car and stay at the motels where you can get a good shower and bed, without the restriction of driving a bus. Apparently it works out the same. Again, tripadvisor has many viewpoints.

NZ has a lot going for it.:ok:

cdnfssgal
5th Sep 2006, 23:42
c100driver, sir.pratt, and Monty (again), some great ideas and tips.

The flyinn looks interesting, but I talk on the radio from the other end of the conversation (Air Traffic Services), and still unsure if my "private" pilot will be able to join me on the trip. (DO they have twins? I'm 90% sure he will NOT fly anything with one engine? Disregard-just dug further into the website and see it's 172's and 206)

Some of those hukajet packages look great! Will do some more research on that for sure, as the North Island is my prime destination in NZ.

Hadn't checked tripadvisor yet, Monty. I usually do check out hotels on there before booking , but have a month or three before I was going to do that. Didn't realise they also had "what to do/see" advice as well. Thanks for the tip!

barit1
6th Sep 2006, 18:15
My NZ tour was 6 years ago but the natural beauty of the place is the BIG attraction. A flight to one of the glaciers (via fixed or rotary wing) will be unforgettable. Milford Sound is just plain awesome, and Queenstown is full of many activities (jet boats, hang gliding...) to enjoy.

Also got a huge kick from a farm show near Rotorua - the sheepdogs are really remarkable!

...and I got the T-shirt:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b78/barit1/NZ-T2.jpg

ju7ez
7th Sep 2006, 03:35
That is a great T shirt, I've never seen one of those.
So very true.

cdnfssgal
9th Sep 2006, 04:36
Great T-shirt Barit!

I have a similar one about weather in my part of Canada. I'll have to dig it out and post it.

cdnfssgal
29th Sep 2006, 22:53
OK...I finally found said t-shirt...WAY too much profanity for a lady like me :p to scan and post (true tho the wx references may be).

So, I am still looking for more great hints on what to see and do in NZ and western Australia.