PDA

View Full Version : Qantas 744 IFE

harry_jukutakukis
27th Aug 2006, 01:31
Hey,
Anyone know how many 744's have been updated with the new Q system? I am flying to the UK ex sydney in october with QF and want to know if I'll have AVOD. Also just on that note is the system as unreliable as everyone states, hope not.
Toodle-Hoofen!
Thanks
Harry

Aussie
27th Aug 2006, 01:40
Mate, i dont know how many have it on demand, but i flew on a QF 744 from HK in June, and it didnt have video on demand. Bit behind the times if you ask me :confused:

Aussie

BHMvictim
27th Aug 2006, 03:04
The question should not be "how many have AVOD fitted", rather
"How many aircraft have AVOD that is not unserviceable".
:ok:

Redstone
27th Aug 2006, 03:40
Flew to the east coast U.S. couple of months ago QF and had AVOD all the way, works great.

404 Titan
27th Aug 2006, 05:05
The times I have flown QF where it was installed it seems it works about 50% of the time. I’m sure just like our IFES all the bugs will be ironed out just when it is time to upgrade to the next best thing on the market.

lead_struggler
27th Aug 2006, 11:48
The following a/c have AVOD:

744RR's OJB,E,G,I,J,K,P,S,U

744GE's OEB,D,E,F

Of those only OJG,K,P,S,U will operate to London as the other OJ's fitted with AVOD are only 2 class a/c and ops to FRA and BNE-LAX

You could also get one of the GE powered 744's although the mainly stay on the LA route... but as you know anything can happen!

Enjoy your trip:O

Shlonghaul
27th Aug 2006, 12:27
Harry J
Sorry to disappoint you but IFES on QF aircraft stands for Inflight Failure Entertainment System. :E I'm sick of apologising to our long suffering customers....err I mean passengers for the repeated breakdowns despite managements repeated assurances that all will be fixed. Suggest you bring along a laptop with plenty of dvds......if you can get it through security and the battery does'nt burst into flames!! :ok:

Aussie
28th Aug 2006, 00:44
GD would rather the PAX go without the IFE and save the shareholders $$$

Aussie

Squawk7700
28th Aug 2006, 01:17
Mate of mine saved $100 and travelled on China Eastern to London. There was absolutely NO in flight entertainment whatsoever and the button to retract his seat was pushed in so at 6'3" he couldn't put his seat back for the whole time!

Mud Skipper
28th Aug 2006, 05:39
All QF International A330's have Video on Demand, reliability seems to have settled down and there are now very few failures from my experience.

Earlier problems have either been fixed or gone away and operator (CSM) technique/familiarity has improved resulting in fewer failures and cleaner resets. :D