View Full Version : Your Opinions Is Required Please

wannabe-aviator
27th Aug 2006, 01:02
Hello All

I am wondering what is the justifications of some companies in Eastern Europe and increasingly in Western Europe and Africa operating Cargo Aircraft that have a maximum 2000 kilogram payload the LET410 and the Caravans come to mind most.

How can they make money on such small rates and how do they find the clients in order to operate these Aircraft, I know the Caravan is a single Pilot ops Aircraft as for the Let and Perhaps even the Metro 3 are these Aircaft single or 2 pilot ops.

Thinking of Western Europe I believe Air Atlantic over in Coventry in the UK had a metro 3 that they recently sold why did they do so did the small Plane not make them enough money and did they operate it on a single or 2 pilot basis, I would very much like to hear from my fellow ppruners with regards to these questions.

Regards
WA

SM82
28th Aug 2006, 03:13
The Metro operates with 2 crew. Was unaware that AAG sold their Metro cant understand why as it seemed to be a busy aircraft. Shame really because we used to charter it alot.

Crossbleed
28th Aug 2006, 10:58
Metro III's operate in Australia single -pilot freight only ops.:eek:
The boffins tell me it's hard to find a replacement that is cheap and carries an honest tonne for a few hours?? At better than Caravan speed anyway...

ebt
29th Aug 2006, 02:17
wannabe-aviator, there are some cargoes which are worth paying a lot of money to move around quickly, even if they are small payloads. Car parts are a great example. Many small operators around the world pick up small loads of parts as many manufacturers operate on small amounts of 'just-in-time' inventory. The cost of air freighting them in so that they can be 'just in time' is offset by not having to have large amounts of storage, and the accounting charges that would incur.

There are many other types of cargo that are light, sometimes a little bulky but are time-critical and many operators around the world make a niche out of carrying them. While it may seem insane to send some things by air (read the 'Strangest Freight' thread), for some it makes sense and they are willing to pay for the privilege.