PDA

View Full Version : Canberra remains on Filton Airfield.

MReyn24050
26th Aug 2006, 12:48
Forgive me if this has been posted before but does anyone have any information concerning the remains of a Canberra Aircraft that I noted when viewing an aerial photograph of Filton Airfield? See attached link.
This aircraft appears also on Google Earth along with other components at 51 Degrees 31' 17"N 2 Degrees 35'18"W. Other aerial photographs in the local area of Filton showing the Stoke Gifford are recent as they include a shot of my house and car which I only purchased last year.
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=skm639gshvh3&style=o&lvl=2&scene=4242781

Kieron Kirk
26th Aug 2006, 13:01
WH665/J Canberra T.17 ex 8736M Cosford, 360 Sqdn.

MReyn24050
26th Aug 2006, 13:04
Thanks Kieron
That was quick, any idea about the other fuselage that appears in the aerial shot but not in the "bird's eye" view?
Mel

Kieron Kirk
26th Aug 2006, 13:21
Must mention W&R (must buy the 20th edition-keep up the good work Ken Ellis !).

Beech B80 Queen Air G-AVDS very close to the Canberra (the stbd. wing of which is from T.4 Q497, not delivered to the Indian AF ).

Big chunk of wing close to the Queen Air-any offers as to what it is ?(Airbus of sorts ?).

Go right from the Canberra, there are the dismantled remains of a Sea Devon C.20 XK896/G-RNAS.

MReyn24050
26th Aug 2006, 14:13
Thanks again Kieron. I hate to think of the number of times I have driven past that dump on my way to the M5 or to Cribbs Causeway and never knew they were there. I was using the Window's Live and Local site following Heathrow Director's to it on the "Airfield near Weybridge" thread. I too must treat myself to the Wrecks and Relics Book.
Mel

mrloop
26th Aug 2006, 23:02
A lot of the wrecks have been removed over the last year or so. The Filton Enthuisiast's website reports that the Canberra is due to be moved to Chepstow and sunk in the diving centre :

English Electric Canberra T Mk.17 WH665
Sits on the dump (also known as Palm Beach), which is north of the main runway. The airframe is a composite, and includes the starboard wing of Q497, an undelivered Indian Air Force T Mk.4. It had arrived from Salmesbury by the end of 1988.
It is expected to go to the National Diving Centre at Chepstow in 2006, and will be submerged in its flooded quarry.

Jamie-Southend
27th Aug 2006, 19:47
Excellent quality from Local Live, it maybe more dated than Google Earth, but the quality is always far better.

Southends Vulcan is not present on the airfield though, must have been on circuits when pics were taken :eek: