PDA

View Full Version : Sky's the limit as Qantas takes off (Robert Gottliebsen)

Wirraway
25th Aug 2006, 17:30
Sat "Weekend Australian"

Sky's the limit as Qantas takes off
Chief executive Geoff Dixon plans a massive reorganisation and expansion of the Flying Kangaroo writes Robert Gottliebsen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
August 26, 2006

"YOU won't recognise Qantas in four years time," says chief executive Geoff Dixon. And then he details his incredible plan for the airline up to 2010 - one of the biggest reorganisations to be attempted in recent years by a prosperous Australian company.
And what makes it even more remarkable is that it is being undertaken by a 66-year-old chief executive in his sixth year in office.

Probably the nearest match to the Qantas revolution was the dramatic change that took place at BHP under chairman Don Argus and chief executive Paul Anderson. It is no coincidence that Paul Anderson is now on the Qantas board, along with another BHP director, John Schubert.

Among the changes Dixon is looking at make at Qantas by 2010 are:

* A dramatic widening of its freight operation with a view to responding to the Toll/Patrick merger. He has already had talks with Lindsay Fox and his Linfox land transport and logistics operation, while the K&S group would be another possible target. By 2010 Qantas freight will be a separate public company.

* Jetstar will expand fourfold or fivefold. While there is no concrete plan to float it as a separate public company, the option has not been ruled out.

* The base Qantas international and domestic airline business will be substantially reorganised to meet two enormous challenges.

* The engineering business is looking to expand and take on more non-Qantas work.

* Qantas Link will be expanded and could float.

* Longer term, the airline will deal with its service providers, including catering and airport handling, on the basis that in time it can go to another provider if the old Qantas business is not competitive.

In its heartland business - passenger airlines - the company plans to spend $20 billion on new aircraft between now and 2016, led by the Airbus A380 and the Boeing Dreamliner. The new aircraft will substantially lower costs.

Much of that investment will be financed via aircraft leases, leaving Qantas with the opportunity to allocate some of its substantial cash flow to the planned thrust into freight, where negotiations are taking place to form a group that "can provide a degree of competition with Toll", Dixon says. "Toll, with the takeover of Patrick, has established an incredibly strong position," he adds.

One problem Qantas faces in extending its air freight business into the wider transport arena in competition with Toll is that freight businesses are now selling at very high prices, as was shown by the Linfox acquisition of FCL.

Nevertheless, perhaps encouraged by former Patrick boss Chris Corrigan, Dixon is focusing on the plan.

"We are talking to Lindsay Fox every week and will continue to talk to him. Obviously we would like to be in general freight," Dixon says.

Asked if he would buy Linfox, Dixon says: "It is possible."

Asked whether he could put the two businesses together, Dixon says: "Over a good bottle of red - and he (Fox) has a wonderful cellar - we have discussed those sorts of things."

Of course, adding an extra dimension is Toll's stake in the airline business via its interest in Virgin.

Dixon says: "The Virgin business would have to change dramatically for it to be any sort of player in freight. Low-cost airlines are not freight carriers."

Dixon admits that at the moment Qantas doesn't have the management skills to run a large general freight business, but "we certainly have a lot of assets" and it is one of the real diversification opportunities for Qantas.

Two or three years ago the base Qantas international airline business was globally competitive but three dramatic changes have left the Australian airline with a cost base that is now too high.

First, a series of international airline mergers and/or realignments, including KLM and Air France and Cathay and Dragon Air, have lowered the costs of several major players.

Second, in the US most of the airlines have gone into Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which has enabled them to substantially cut their costs.

Third, governments are pouring money into airlines, where they have a substantial equity, often promoting the continuation of sub-economic activities. These moves have left Qantas in a position of having higher costs than many of its global competitors.

The latest reorganisation of Qantas is the equivalent of a prosperous company making the sorts of changes that a bankrupt American airline might do using Chapter 11. It won't be easy to achieve the proposed gains.

Qantas plans to only travel on international routes where it is competitive. Jetstar will often take over the routes where the conventional airline can't match the costs.

Dixon stresses that Qantas will not withdraw from any air route where it can meet its competition. But he sees Jetstar as not only flying a series of Asian routes, but taking the group back into some of the European destinations that Qantas previously abandoned. Jetstar will fly to most Australian destinations. Dixon says that the low-cost airline model has not been used in long-haul routes by any other carrier, but he believes that the Dreamliner aircraft will make this very successful. Domestically, Jetstar has costs that are about 10 per cent lower than Virgin but Virgin costs are 20 per cent below Qantas.

Qantas does well domestically because it can sell its tickets at a 35 per cent premium over Virgin, but Dixon admits that the Virgin thrust into the business markets is a serious threat.

In a message partly for Virgin chief executive Brett Godfrey, Dixon says: "I think that taking on Qantas in the corporate market is a hard road for them. History will show whether I am right or wrong.

"Obviously if they got it right Qantas would have to make a lot of moves because, if they were able to gain a large slice of the corporate market with a cost base that is significantly less than Qantas, we would have a real problem.

"The restructuring is aimed to narrow the difference. We will never be able to get down to their costs, allowing for the product differential, but I don't believe the union movement or anybody can sit there with two airlines - Virgin and Jetstar - with substantially lower wages and conditions for doing the same work as the other airline.

"I hope that by 2010 Virgin and Qantas costs would be very much aligned. That would come not just from Qantas slashing its costs. Virgin costs are increasing at a considerably higher rate than Qantas and there is a convergence happening," Dixon says.

At the moment Qantas is regarded by most domestic investors as an income stock. Geoff Dixon clearly believes that overseas investors understand that it has considerable growth potential, which is why he wants the limit on overseas investment removed.

The key to the future of the base Qantas business is to be able to develop a competitively costed airline that can compete in the premium product business.

Globalisation depends on aviation and Qantas has one of the top brands and images in this arena. But if Qantas is to emerge as a growth stock, it will become a holding company for a series of transport businesses, many of which will be floated.

If Dixon only pulls off three-quarters of what he plans to do, then the current Qantas operation will have been transformed.

================================================

Redstone
25th Aug 2006, 21:30
* The engineering business is looking to expand and take on more non-Qantas work.

One would have to assume that Mr Cox will be applying for quite a few "guest worker visas" to get the arms and legs over here to do this extra work, no apprentices taken on this year and although they still have 4 years to run on the lease the apprentice training school has been closed. Where are all the engineers going to come from?????????????????????

Sunfish
25th Aug 2006, 21:43
Dear Old Breathless Robert Gottliebsen.........Words fail me.

Hooray for Lindsay Fox! I hope he sells Linfox to Qantas for zillions! perhaps he can then do a Packer-like buyback of both Qantas and Linfox in a few years time after GD & Co. screw it up.

Rail is not air transport. Road transport is not air transport. Sea transport is not air transport. There are extremely limited synergies between air transport and anything else, unless Qantas has plans to fly aircraft that can carry sixty foot, forty tonne shipping containers.

I was once questioned very severely about airline operations a very long time ago by the founders of Toll. For various reasons, they chose not to start their own. I've also worked with Linfox on a project or two. I have the deepest respect for the intelligence and integrity of the management and professionalism of both companies.

I also remember a very detailed briefing by McKinsey's about why companies succeed and others fail that has informed my share buying ever since.

Basically what happens when companies straddle a number of different industries is that over time the Board is required to decide on competing investment priorities from within the group, and they invariably get it wrong, because they cannot focus enough on the components of the group to get the governance right. In other words, they ask the wrong questions of the various CEO's.

If you want an example, look at BHP's purchase of Magma Copper. The "Old " BHP was across steel production, non ferrous metals (gold, copper etc.), coal mining, iron ore mining and sales as well as oil and gas. They eventually had to chop it up for the reason I enumerated. The whole was much less than the sum of its parts.

Another good example is Jetstar Asia.

I am waiting for the release of the document that says how Qantas is going to "leverage all the synergies and the economies of scale".

Watch the share price fall as the wiser heads run for the exits.

Aussie
26th Aug 2006, 00:33
He forgot to mention outsourcing work O/S! :sad:

Aussie

7378FE
26th Aug 2006, 02:33
"Dixon says that the low-cost airline model has not been used in long-haul routes by any other carrier"

Hasn't GD heard of Laker?

Eagleman
26th Aug 2006, 05:12
Sat "Weekend Australian"

Asked whether he could put the two businesses together, Dixon says: "Over a good bottle of red - and he (Fox) has a wonderful cellar - we have discussed those sorts of things."

Who were you drinking with Geoff? LFox is a non drinker!

Hope you weren't too p!ssed, 'cause even sober that man will screw you real good.

Aussie
26th Aug 2006, 05:16
Who were you drinking with Geoff? LFox is a non drinker!

Hope you weren't too p!ssed, 'cause even sober that man will screw you real good.

It'd be funny 2 c :)

Aussie

B772
26th Aug 2006, 05:17
"Dixon says that the low-cost airline model has not been used in long-haul routes by any other carrier"

Hasn't GD heard of Laker?

I think GD may have heard of Laker Skytrain as any meals on Laker were added cost. (Jetstar)

And what about People Express who introduced US$149 one way fares on the B747-200 from Newark to Gatwick in 1981. Overall service was so bad it was often referred to as Air Bulgaria. They charged for coffee (Virgin and Jetstar) and checked baggage (Note BG and AJ)

404 Titan
26th Aug 2006, 07:23
It’s also worth noting that Laker and People Express went broke. I wonder if the same will happen to any other company that tries to start a low cost long haul airline? There is a very good reason why other airlines haven’t followed suite? It’s because it doesn’t work. Dixon mustn’t have learnt from history.

QFinsider
26th Aug 2006, 07:44
Most tyrants don't learn from history, and sadly for them they all end the same way in the end! :E

ditzyboy
26th Aug 2006, 14:56
Dixon says that the low-cost airline model has not been used in long-haul routes by any other carrier

Flyglobespan have been operating long haul 767 routes ex the UK in almost indentical format to the proposed JQI operation.

The british charter airlines traditionally offered a product similar to what Jetstar is proposing (a single meal included with other drinks/snacks/IFE paid for).

As a point of information Air Canada has been selling pillows and blankets on short haul flights for over a year now.

There is little earth shattering developments regarding JQI... Most of what is proposed has been done before.

Wed Webbing Woop
27th Aug 2006, 01:25
Woke this morning........turned on the Tele.....tuned into Business Sunday ( Channel 9 -PBL flagship). It happened to be its final program , so the program was looking back at the last 20 years.

So they had The Bulletin ( PBL owned ) ......{stay with me on this one.... the crunch is a coming !!!!!} and Business Sunday doing a Top 20 CEO's/Business Leaders/Influential Leaders in the last 20 years.

We had Keating, Lowey, Gerry Harvey, Don Argus, Alan Bond , Packer ( of course ! ) etc etc....then you guessed it.........= Mr Geoff Dixon.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THE MEDIA IN THIS COUNTRY??????

This bloke is on the bloody PBL board, of course he would make the f---in list of Top 20 .

I can only hope I'm around to see the Top 20 list in 2026.

I'll bet my ball-bearings that Darth will be in the Top 20 list of "stooges" for the Howard ( long gone and best forgotten ) camp.

PS: Now I'm no radical feminist hugger, but in the interest of diversity, there was only 1 female who made the list, who still had to share her spot with a bloke. And guess what I've already forgotten her name-doh!