PDA

View Full Version : Air NZ 5x 737 grounded

dudduddud
24th Aug 2006, 23:00
http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/default.asp?id=65198
Air NZ temporarily grounds 737s
400 passengers have flights delayed as Air New Zealand grounds five 737 aircraft to inspect components
24 August 2006
A number of Air New Zealand domestic flights have been delayed tonight as Air New Zealand engineers inspect five aircraft.
An airline spokesman says the inspections are on components on Boeing 737s, at the request of the Seattle-based plane maker.
The airline has complied with their request.
All passengers are being advised that they will still make their destination at some stage tonight, though that may be possibly later than planned.
Around 400 passengers have been affected.
Air New Zealand owns five 737s and leases another nine aircraft. The aircraft have an average age of between eight and nine years old.
© 2006 NZCity, NewsTalkZB
------------------------------------------
any news?

rottenlungs
25th Aug 2006, 01:06
Does this relate to parts made by Parker-Hannefin? (total conjecture on my part)

Casper
25th Aug 2006, 02:32
Nothing wrong with Parker Hannifin parts. That was a political finding.

Hanz Blix
25th Aug 2006, 05:13
Think it was eight grounded not 5

haughtney1
25th Aug 2006, 05:42
Nothing wrong with Parker Hannifin parts. That was a political finding.

Care to elaborate? Thats a pretty bold statement, considering the NTSB's position

Pete Conrad
25th Aug 2006, 07:18
Unless the attachment bolts for the PCU where they connect onto the frame are made by Parker Hannifin, then no, it aint got anything to do with them.

I believe only jets that havent had the RSEP done are the ones needing to be checked. The problem has nothing to do with the internal workings of the PCU.

rottenlungs
25th Aug 2006, 10:18
Unless the attachment bolts for the PCU where they connect onto the frame are made by Parker Hannifin, then no, it aint got anything to do with them.
I believe only jets that havent had the RSEP done are the ones needing to be checked. The problem has nothing to do with the internal workings of the PCU.
Hi Thx for the info.
So the issue is with the attachment of pcu to the structure of the a/c, rather than the pcu operation itself?
How many of ANZ 733`s have been RSEP`d? I understand the rsep was supposed to be applied to all US registered fleet by 2006?
Cheers
James

Pete Conrad
25th Aug 2006, 23:57
rottenlungs, that is correct, the internal section of the PCU is not the problem. No idea as to how many AIR NZ jets hadn't had the RSEP.

Not sure about the 2006 FAA AD requirement. I was under the impression that the AD issued by Boeing, that airlines had up to 9 years to carry out the AD. That may be a seperate issue though.

Anything regarding Boeing 737 rudders causes a major twitch amonsgt Boeing and the airlines. The PCU problem that caused the 2 fatals in the USA still has not been identified.

mattyj
27th Aug 2006, 09:14
None of the Qantas NZ fleet seem to be affected..even though they are maintained in the same hangers by the same engineers??!!

indigo duck
27th Aug 2006, 09:57
not true mattyj .....

Jetconnect had 2 of their -300's being inspected in Wellington at the same time as Air New Zealand.