PDA

View Full Version : Air Mauritius ab-initio program 2006/2007

raviMK
24th Aug 2006, 18:40
Air Mauritius is launching its next ab-initio program in the coming weeks..

The selected candidates will be short-listed and sent most probably to 43 Air School since Air Mauritius will be assisted by that said school to shorten the duration of the selection exercise..

Rumours are that 15 cadets will be chosen this time..

The selection exercise will be more rigourous and intense..but nothing is yet finalised as Air Mauritius top management is having two conflicting groups in deciding whether or not to send 2006/2007 cadets to 43 Air School and maintain the 1 year contract..

But from my sources in Paille-en-Queue Court,top floor management have hinted that the final decision to send the 2006/2007 cadets to the school will largely depend on the views of the existing cadets at the 43 Air School..

Air Mauritius is running short of pilots and vacancies are increasing..The fleet as well as the market is expanding..Air Mauritius urgently wants to expand and remain a world class airline..High standard trained pilots will be needed to contribute in this expansion..

Therefore,the ultimate contributing factor as to where the next batch will be sent for training will be largely dependent on whether an Air School will form mauritian pilots on time to realise the expansion of Air Mauritius..

LocaliserAlive
24th Aug 2006, 18:54
Do you mean they will train ab-initios into A340 captains and F/Os within a year?
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

EI-Shamrock
24th Aug 2006, 20:49
Found your post on another forum:

Air Mauritius had advertised for the recruitment of ab-initio trainee pilots (mauritian nationals only) around April 2005..It consisted of :
1. Aptitude and Reasoning Tests
2. Psychometric Tests
3. Group Exercises and Technical Tests
4. Final Panel interview

Mauritian nationals only? :sad: Well, it is understandable.

sicky
25th Aug 2006, 01:24
There's an application form on their website, but no requirements listed. It is dated 2004 aswell!!

mk943
27th Aug 2006, 03:39
Thanks for the info raviMK.
cheers,
mk943

barkingboris
28th Aug 2006, 15:38
I worked there for 6 years as cockpit crew and the expats are world class and a few locals but as for MK management and the rest and that includes the airline as a whole ,they are so far from being world class its scary.
Happiest day of my life when i left.One would think after being in a country and company for 6 years that upon leaving there might be a tinge of sadness ,well not so.

raviMK
6th Sep 2006, 15:21
Thank you readers for the numerous PMs..

It is interesting to see that a highly known Aviation Institution in Australia is sending interesting proposals for the next batch of Air Mauritius cadets..

Air Mauritius is exploring new and potential avenues for its trainee pilots..

Compared to the contract/agreement Air Mauritius and the 43 Air School signed for a year,it is worth considering..

Air Mauritius is currently going through a 'pilot drain' due to growing demand of pilots in the gulf..and this is expected to continue for the next 8 years..

Air Mauritius needs pilots..mostly Mauritian pilots..and very quickly..

And the way things are going,it will not be surprising in the coming months if MK management selects a second air school to train its cadets..

Only time will tell where the next batch will head to and it's very likely that 43 Air School will not be the only destination..

Will keep thread updated when decisions are about to be made..

Keep reading..
RaviMK..

UAU242
6th Sep 2006, 20:09
I understand that schools in Australia don't do the JAA license, only Australian ones...will seriously annoy me if they do choose this option as they insisted I spend considerably more money and do the JAA!

ALTCRUISE
6th Sep 2006, 21:19
Dear RaviMK

Just to CORRECT a paragraph of yours.......!!!!!!!

Pilots are not leaving Air Mauritius because of VACANCIES in the GULF,....rather, they are leaving because they are not appreciated by AIR MAURITIUS.

As you and others are well aware, there is a "Court Appearence" set for today, the 7th....and one other date later this month.

(already the Air Mauritius legal team is asking for a POSTPONEMENT....surprise....surprise !!!!)

This is not to have a "tea party"....but to try and RESOLVE many outstanding issues relating to pay and working conditions that have been ongoing for close to TWO YEARS now.

Many attempts were made in the mean time, to try and RESOLVE these issues WITHOUT going to COURT. Many items are just "common sense" and very "fixable".....if ony we had managers who are able to MANAGE

There is absolutely ZERO goodwill in this company`s management towards it`s expat workforce.....yet the expat Pilot group continue with thier task to the highest standards....and for that, I salute them....as they DO have honour and integrity and a VERY HIGH work ethic.

But the price the company is paying, is the huge and unecessary loss of very experienced Pilots,....who over time could have transfered thier knowledge to the locals, and have built the "Air Mauritius" this goverment wants to see in the future.

There seems to be a very short-sighted "power game" going on here...and it is going to cause furthar and significant damage to the good name of this airline....the writing is on the wall !!!

barkingboris
7th Sep 2006, 03:12
I agree fully with the above post.
MK management are doing a fine job of fiddling while it all goes up in smoke.Most of those twits have been promoted way above what they are capable of and yes the pilots are leaving .I did 4 flights the other day which involved flying over Africa and i heard various MK flights on 126.9 and enquired who was on board.Not surprising that out of a potential 12 crew on those 4 flights they were all new and i did not know one of them.MK is a tiny airline and cannot afford to lose its expat staff.
RaviMK sit up and take note son ,management are considered a joke.

raviMK
7th Sep 2006, 19:33
Dear Readers..

Thank you for responding and thank you dedicated mates for all the PMs..

Just want the people who made the last two postings on my thread to know that they are not sticking to the point here..

The theme of my thread is about Mauritian ab-initio pilots and not the frustration that expats have or will experience..If you guys are willing to vent your frustration on Air Mauritius,you are at the wrong place and I kindly suggest that you open your own thread and make your points there..

Sorry to be rude but there are thousands of wannabees worldwide who are more interested to know about the ab-initio scheme rather than reading the unsatisfied demands of x-pilots from Air Mauritius..

Thank you..Comments much appreciated..

RaviMK

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Sep 2006, 20:03
Your thread?

It's a public forum, boet....:rolleyes:

UAU242
8th Sep 2006, 19:17
Inaccurate posts ought to be corrected, even if it does mean going off-piste!
Should I be surprised that mk told me to do JAA and then possibly decide to send cadets to Australia? From what I've heard from others, probably not!
Also, where are all these keen interested-in-aviation-type cadets who are currently at 43? Do they even know this site exists?? Please someone tell them so we can get some first hand feedback.

barkingboris
11th Sep 2006, 05:12
RaviMk bought the thread for Rs 10.
Lekker bly op die kak eisland

LocaliserAlive
12th Sep 2006, 05:00
Lekker bly op die kak eisland

:= Would you please share your thoughts instead of hiding cowardly behind your 'kak' language from your 'kak' country?:yuk:

Loc

VS1g
12th Sep 2006, 08:45
Judging by LOC's previous postings he is not a happy chappy on Ravi's island, much like Barkingboris was. Maybe someone should help with a translation for LOC. Can anyone help?

barkingboris
12th Sep 2006, 14:41
Hi Loc
To translate for you the phrase i posted.
Keep in mind that the kak language is my second language.
It means " Live or stay nicely on the **** island"
Take a chill pill and dont get bent out of shape.
I do hope that you do not side with MK management as they have shafted you guys and i hope that you all get your day in court with those twits.
Good luck ;) ;)

LocaliserAlive
12th Sep 2006, 19:48
Thanks for the translation! Everybody has his reasons for leaving a company or a country and I have mine for not being happy and wanting to leave too. But I am just sick of guys that were happy to find a job and get a rating on heavy jet to turn back and point fingers at their ex-colleagues. Air Mauritius is very far from being 'World Class' (whatever that means) and the island is definitely not first world (Africa with a mix of India), but don't forget that it gave a lot of you (not all) guys the chance to get an airline job and move from there.

Don't take the previous comment personnaly BBoris, I have maybe met you and flown with you before (I don't know if I had a tinge of sadness when you left):{. But please do not criticise all Mauritians and put everybody in the same basket! You have probably stayed in your expat corner and not bothered to meet other interesting people like a lot of expats do!

BTW, I am not with MK management

Cheers,

Loc :ok:

barkingboris
13th Sep 2006, 03:41
Thanks for the reply.
I was not having a crack at the expats or your average Mauritian who was very pleasant but solely at the MK management who have scant regard for the pilots.
I did a 12 hour layover the other day and when we popped out of the clouds at about 6 miles it all seemed so green ,blue and colourful and was a very stark contrast to Dubai.From that aspect it was nice but still i had no mixed feelings.
As you said it did give me 3000 hours on a 340 which have set me up nicely and it could be an awesome job if one had basings and sensible management.
Cheers
;) ;) ;)

LocaliserAlive
13th Sep 2006, 06:43
We all agree on that. It could have been a great place to work if only for the (mis)management and the diving Rupee! Anyway, time to move on now. Good luck in the sand dunes! It's a small world, we might meet again sometime.

Cheers,

Loc:ok:

4HolerPoler
14th Sep 2006, 13:58
and it could be an awesome job if one had basings and sensible management

Sounds like you're living the frying pan/fire life Boris - it isn't much better in the sandpit is it? ;)

4HP

barkingboris
23rd Sep 2006, 14:45
Yes we have no grass here ,we have lousy management ,no basings etc etc BUT there is stuff to do at least.
Mauritius was very limited in activities and general recreation.
Hey ,at least the heat has been switched down to simmer as winter is on its way.
I dont regret my decision to leave M but i might regret my decision to come here when the 1000 hr annual limit is rubber stamped.That is going to be a nightmare of biblical proportions as we are all exhausted now ,how are we going to feel then.NO GREASE WILL BE ISSUED.Take it like men...
I always try and stay positive and my lower lip is still stiff but i do anticipate a quiver shortly. ha ha

ginopino
23rd Sep 2006, 15:04
Does anybody know the average salary in AirMauritius ? Are they looking for pilots Airbus rated ?
Thank you !!!:O :O

UAU242
28th Sep 2006, 21:29
Good post a320 F/O, for all the young Mauritians hoping to fly for the airline one day i think a reality check was much needed!

raviMK
30th Sep 2006, 16:03
Thank you guys for the PMs and postings..

It's always nice to meet quality wannabees all the time here..
MK's top floor management had been going through a reshuffling since some time and it's only a few days back that some of it was reflected in the press..

One thing for sure,the ab-initio scheme has been delayed because of the existing conflicts inside the board..

The actual state of the company hasn't been bright due to lousy decisions and delayed planning..But anyways,the upcoming team will work on various pending issues..

As far as I know and investigated,the much awaited ab-initio sheme is on its way..and from what I see around me inside management,MK is definitely not going to concentrate it's cadets in only one air school due to it's needs..

Will keep thread updated..
RaviMK..

Patrick_AUSTRIAN
1st Oct 2006, 20:28
HI everybody,

I have one question, I am 19years old and from Austria. I will finish my education end of 2006. Is it possible to join the cadet ab inito program of AIR MAURITIUS as a english speaking foreign student?

If you have more informations about the program, please send me a PM.

best regards,
Patrick

UAU242
16th Oct 2006, 17:20
Danny Thau please check your PMs

raviMK
16th Nov 2006, 16:42
Dear ppruners..

Thank you mates for the numerous replies and PMs..

MK is gradually going through restructuring..Anyways,it's nothing new as the actual team had too many internal conflicts and it was about time..

Unfortunately,the ab-initio scheme had been delayed because of lousy decisions and unprecedented events within the management..
Now,the games are set and the race will soon start..It's interesting to see this time that applications are already coming in although the scheme itself hasn't been launched..
And the number of qualified self-sponsored Mauritian pilots is increasing in the pool of applicants..

Rumours inside management is that the next scheme shall be launched either on August 2007 or December 2007..It's highly possible that the selection exercise shall start as from August 2007 itself..

Also,fact is that the current Air Mauritius cadets at the 43 Air School in South Africa will complete their training sometimes by the end of year 2007..
..and to maintain a flow in cockpit crew intakes,the next batch of MK cadets should start training by the end of 2007..

RaviMK..

UAU242
17th Nov 2006, 16:37
Interesting stuff. Ab-initio applications coming in even though selection might not be til next August! What about self-sponsered students finishing training before then? Do they have to wait until August and possibly December??!
I recently spoke to 43 who said they were expecting the next batch early next year, but agreed that with Air Mauritius you never know. Its good that 43 will be conducting the next selection, whenever that may be.

raviMK
19th Nov 2006, 16:09
Thanks mate for the reply..

Just too bad but that's the latest news inside MK..
It's not always essential for an airline to plan its intake according to some student pilots course completion..Wish it was that way but it isn't..

I know quite of lot of guys in MK who waited for years before being accepted in the ab-initio program and it is really frustrating to a point..

But anyway,it is happening next year and at least,all wannabees can prepare themselves well in advance..

The selection exercise is going to be done and conducted by MK..
43 or another designated Air School might just bring some assistance if necessary as the previous screening and selection exercises were successful..

RaviMK

UAU242
20th Nov 2006, 21:52
Cheers for the news Ravi. August next year suits me just fine so i'm happy!

I understood that 43 will have a major say in providing assistance for the selecting, which I personally think would be a good thing. 3 drop-outs after less than 25hrs (ish) is not what I consider to be a successful selection process!!!

Might the other school be Western Australia Aviation College by any chance?? I understand they provide JAR training now.

Also, does anyone know what the implications of the up-and-coming MPL license will be?? Time and money wasted on the fATPL? Hopefully the MPL is still a few years away!

PilotVD
26th Nov 2006, 08:04
Hi all,
can someone give some details about the process of joining the Cadeship scheme at Air Mauritius with a CPL license already. Is an ATPL frozen essential?
would be great if one of the 2006/2007 cadets who recently joined AirMtius with a CPL elaborate on this please.
cheers
VD

kush
27th Nov 2006, 00:38
Hi GUYS!!

ANyone knw' wen is z next intake for mk? Whts the requirements for new Casa CPL holders??

I think mk should try sending cadets to BAE (Adle..) or General flying services (Mel).

Keep posting!!! Best of luck to all new applicants..:ok:

Regards,
Kush

Mexis
27th Nov 2006, 09:23
Dear all,

I hold a JAA CPL with a current ATR Type Rating and have been looking for a F/O position for the last 7 months without success...

Does anyone knows which person to contact at Air Mauritius ? I have applied several times to different persons but have never got a reply from anyone...

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Vincent
www.geocities.com/vincent.mexis (http://www.geocities.com/vincent.mexis)

UAU242
27th Nov 2006, 17:02
kush, your guess is as good as anyone's. But take the time to read the earlier posts by ravimk and you might get some idea! And its "the" not "Z2!!! sorry its a pet hate of mine.i know this forum is not for grammar correction.
May I ask why you did a CASA license?

UAU242
3rd Feb 2007, 11:01
Tay19, apply and see what happens! Or speak to them and let them know the situation.
Going to check the website now....

UAU242
4th Feb 2007, 14:14
does anyone know what the requirements are this time for the ab-initio positions?

raviMK
4th Feb 2007, 15:04
Thank you guys for all the PMs and enquiries..

Indeed it is happening and it is going to be faster this time..The Scheme was official as from Friday itself and like it's been happening all the time,potential mauritian pilots will converge from all parts of the world and participate in this exercise..

It is estimated that the selection exercise will be completed within 6 months and the potential cadets will be sent to 43 Air School for training..
The school will be maintained as the standards are high and the actual cadets over there are keeping track with Air Mauritius standards..

There was quite some lobby from an Aeronautical institution but management remained conservative over the offers..

Rumours inside management is that by September,the new batch will already be there and a 25hr assessment will be subjected to each of them..basically,the same conditions like on the previous batch..

Air Mauritius will double the number of cadets this time though it remains to be confirmed..With the ongoing drain of expats in the company,this ab-initio scheme is just a beggining..and it is expected in 5 years time..with the growing fleet..80% of the flight deck crew will be local pilots..

Good luck to all the guys and girls out there willing to join this scheme..
Cheers..
RaviMK..

UAU242
4th Feb 2007, 16:27
Air mauritius doubling the number of cadets? I hope thats the case, I also hope that means we stand a better chance this time round!

UAU242
5th Feb 2007, 16:28
The advert mentions testimonials, does anyone know if that applies to ab-initio's??? If so, how many?
UAU

UAU242
5th Feb 2007, 16:48
but it already says that you need photocopies of your educational certificates, I thought testimonials referred to references....I guess it would have said References if that was what they were looking for. I assume testimonials refers to photocopies of your CPL or IR licence...
No worries.
UAU

PilotVD
5th Feb 2007, 16:57
I guess that testimonials are not essential for the abinitio scheme. unless( for instance) u have been at uni and been involved in extra curricular activities or student union and u've been praised for ur contribution to uni life. hence the organisation can recommend ur invaluable asset to any department.
I got 2 from the student union at the university and I'll attach them to cv.
Also in the application form, they ask u to give a candid about ur strengths and weaknesses, how much(long) r u guys writing?
cheers
VD

UAU242
5th Feb 2007, 17:14
i'm applying for ab-initio so can't answer that one, sorry. But I would say write as much as you feel is neccessary, but not too much! I'd say an extra half-page at most!

ATPLwhoops
5th Feb 2007, 20:56
I applied in December, so i should be in the pile. I'm looking into Self Sponser aswell. What type of license do you get in Mauritius is it JAR type?

ATPLWhoops

ATPLwhoops
6th Feb 2007, 11:00
Hi im not going to be going to FTE, i dont justify the costings. I will be taking there aptitude testing in the coming the months however. I have applied to the Western Australian Aviation College, for my JAR Integrated Course. I have my interview in the next coming days.
If im sucessful i will press ahead for self sponsered approach. Still not forgetting Air Mauritius. I will wait on Air Mauritius for there response on my application. Though in the meantime i must press ahead with doing my training. If im sucessful at the WAAC i would aim to start in July.
If this route is followed i will reapproach Air Mauritius, to see if they will be interested in taking me after my training is finished.

Thanks

ATPLWhoops

UAU242
6th Feb 2007, 21:13
I'm also skeptical about Air Mauritius doubling the number of cadets. I've been told that they've been recommended to slow down because they won't have the capacity to line train them all when the type rating is done. The fleet is too small!

ATPLWhoops, Mk advised me to train for the JAA license and I understand WAAC do that. FTE is too expensive, you can train for half the price by going modular! But WAAC is quite good value I hear, and I also know for sure that they have some excellent ground instructors - I was taught by one of them! Mk do take most licences for interview as far as I know, but they will make you do the JAA license if you get a job with them, that means all 14 ground exams! Also be weary, with an Australian license you will only be able to work in Australia! Anywhere else and you will have to do a conversion!

Take a look at Egnatia in Greece, I hear they do a very competitive JAA integrated course. If I was you I'd also factor in the cost of doing an instructor rating, you might have to build hours if you don't get a reply from Air Mauritius!
UAU

7th Feb 2007, 10:54
Presumably after the CPL/IR MK will line train you on the ATR42 as FO, or do you go as second officers, not quite sure what there policy is.

Good luck everyone

ATPLwhoops
7th Feb 2007, 13:42
UAU242,

At the WAAC if sucessful, i will be doing a CAA JAR Integrated ATPL Course. My aim is to have a JAR license, it's one of the cheapest integrated route (correct me if im wrong). Is it possible with your fATPL to be taken by MK to do a type rating etc???
In otherwords do they take low houred guys (200h)

ATPLWhoops

UAU242
7th Feb 2007, 17:50
hi ATPLWhoops,

Yes, thats what the Aircraft Pilot recruitment running in conjunction with the Cadet Pilot recruitment is for. If you have looked at the requirements you'll see they don't specify any hours, hence they're looking for minimum (200hrs).
This by no means guarantees you a job, there are guys who applied last year and who didn't get through! Thats why I suggested the instructor rating afterwards.
I understand that WAAC is one of the cheapest around., the USA is possibly cheaper. Not sure.
UAU

mk943
8th Feb 2007, 05:13
Hey danythau
I've heard that usually, cadets start on the ATR til they reach 1000hrs tt(sometimes more) and then move on to the A319 or A340. Those having more than that [>1000 hrs and applying for direct entry(mru pilots)] will probably skip the turbine and jump straight on to the airbus. I'm not totally sure but I think that's the only way to reach the "80% local pilots in 5 years time".

PilotVD
8th Feb 2007, 09:45
hey all,
hope u r all doing well and busy sending ur application forms.
how's the preparation for the aptitude test going?

n yes Tay, our current fleet:
on the airmauritius website, under company then in our fleet.

cheers
VD

PilotVD
8th Feb 2007, 14:06
hey Tay,
the list has already been updated, we no longer have any Boeing.
cheers
VD

UAU242
8th Feb 2007, 20:55
Does anyone have any idea about when they might start calling people for aptitude test?

PilotVD
9th Feb 2007, 04:27
hey UAU,
Ravimk mentioned in early post that the selection process would be faster this time. On the above note, one would speculate that they would be starting to call candidates for aptitude test within 2-3 weeks after the closing date of the application.
PS: on the assumption that MK decides to go full throttle on the selection process.

btw Tay, preparation going slowly but surely with reading hints how to tackle psychometric tests.

Cheers
VD

UAU242
9th Feb 2007, 16:57
yeah thats what you would expect, but in my experience Mk take much longer than that!! I'd expect no less than a month! so maybe around end of march - beginning april? does anyone know for sure?

UAU242
10th Feb 2007, 13:16
the amount of time they take is of huge importance to me. I need to work to pay for my licence, last time i lost 6 months waiting for Air Mauritius! Also i'm not in Mauritius and I'm trying to find out when to come back!

PilotVD
12th Feb 2007, 04:26
Hey all, hope u r all keeping well.
ok for those who aren't aware of this, please be advised that the closing date for Cadet pilot and Aircraft pilots positions has been amended and is is now due on the 23rd Feb 2007.
this is due to fact that candidates with glasses and/or contact lenses MAY also apply provided that they meet the requirements for a JAA class 1 medical.

Good luck!

mk943
13th Feb 2007, 03:37
Does anyone know what the job reference for aircraft pilot(direct entry) is? I think it was on the newspaper when they advertised.
Cheers

PilotVD
13th Feb 2007, 16:29
hey mk943,
there's not ref number for the direct entry pilot.
Your ref. should only be "Aircraft Pilot" or "Cadet Aircraft Pilot" depending in which category one is applying?
U can also check the vacancy notice on the Air Mauritius website in "note 2".
http://www.airmauritius.com/careers/hr/pilot.pdf

Cheers
VD

Foxtrot_Lima_Mike
19th Feb 2007, 00:18
G'day people....
Any of you guys...pilots/trainee around the Perth scenery? Would love to catch up....
PM me...
All the best,
FLM.

UAU242
24th Feb 2007, 11:16
i re-iterate tay19, i will certainly let everyone know if i get a reply. Mk don't respond to unsuccessful applications. Hopefully we'll hear something in the next 2 to 3 weeks.
Cheers

UAU242
28th Feb 2007, 16:17
Does anybody know if the recent cyclone Gamede will delay the selection by much?

PilotVD
4th Mar 2007, 14:43
hey UAU,
I called HR the day before yesterday n was advised that they don't know when the selection process will start. I presume that it's time consuming process to go through all the applications to see if criteria were met to offer a selection test to candidates. IB did not have any idea of a time frame.
hang in there mate!

VD

UAU242
4th Mar 2007, 15:31
thanks pilotvd, i tried to get in touch with him but with no success!

UAU242
11th Mar 2007, 17:51
nothing received on my side...i don't expect replies for at least 4 weeks though!

PilotVD
12th Mar 2007, 16:00
From sources, application forms have not been looked at all and they won't be until 2 more weeks as ops has been tied up with lots of work, especially with the passage of the cyclone.

As UAU mentioned, I'd speculate 4 weeks too.

Cheers
VD

mk943
15th Mar 2007, 09:36
At least 6 months!

SkYARRoW
16th Mar 2007, 17:32
Hey wassup guys? When is the selection process starting? any news?

stephan2009
20th Mar 2007, 10:33
nearly 4 weeks and still nothing!!!!!!!!!!! nobody got an idea..when the selection process will start????? :(

VS1g
21st Mar 2007, 04:16
Wake up and smell the roses and welcome to the (in)efficiency of the MK.

To all you wannabees IB is not your salvation in life - he may however think so. You had better believe that there are more pressing (survival) issues within MK at the moment, besides cadet recruitment.

It is sad to see your enthusiasm crushed by a bunch of incompetants before you even join MK.

Foxtrot_Lima_Mike
30th Mar 2007, 15:58
Any1 been called yet?

FLM

UAU242
30th Mar 2007, 17:53
Hi all,

Just to let everyone know that I got the call from Air Mauritius today! Has anyone else got the letter or phonecall?

UAU242

stephan2009
31st Mar 2007, 04:52
Snif!!!! Nothing receive at this time for me!!!:ugh: ...I think i must wait another 2 years!! :(

stephan2009
31st Mar 2007, 14:51
anybody can give us more informations plz????????

UAU242
1st Apr 2007, 12:09
hi there

It was an email, and also a phonecall. I think if you are in mauritius you will receive a letter. If you havent received it just wait a few days!

shakeel1st
2nd Apr 2007, 08:34
Hi All,

Just checked with the Air Mauritius HR and all the interview letters have been put in post on SATURDAY 31st MARCH 2007.

So expect your letters as from today and during this week.

Good Luck to all

PilotVD
2nd Apr 2007, 12:47
hey guys,
I've received my letter too.
the aptitude test is scheduled on the 09 April 07 at Royal Curepipe College at 0900 for a duration of 1hr45.
The Psychometric Tests is on the 11 April 07 at the same venue. HR Dept will call postulants to advise them if they've passed the 1st set of test and the attend the next phase of the selection.
they've requested that we have our phone numbers updated as they will be contacting during the period 10th to 17th April 07.

Cheers and Good Luck
VD

PS: Letters were dispatched from SSR Int, Registered post on the 31/03/07.

stephan2009
2nd Apr 2007, 17:22
Hi guys! i`ve received my letter too...Anybody know where i can get some aptitude tests to practice plz!?
Thanks in advance..
Good luck to all of you!!!

simplifire
4th Apr 2007, 16:46
Hi guys…

Got mine 2day!!
Aptitude test is scheduled at 1400 on the 9th of April at the Royal College in Curepipe. So I believe there will be more than one batch for the Aptitude test. Things will go fast this time. In fact, those who succeed on Monday will be called on Wednesday of the same week for the next step of the selection exercise.

It is mentioned that the other steps of the selection exercise will consist of the Psychometric tests and Interviews. I have been through the last selection exercise back in 2005 and it consisted of the Aptitude test, the Psychometric test, the Group exercise, an interview and technical tests, etc as mentioned in the 1st letter.

Does anyone have any info whether this selection exercise will consist ONLY of the Aptitude test, the Psychometric tests and Interviews as mentioned in the letter?

Gudluck 2all of U guys :cool: N get ready .. only 4days now!!

PilotVD
4th Apr 2007, 17:24
hey simplifire,

not too sure if this selection will consist of only psych n interviews after the aptitude test. normally they would follow the same trend. technical tests r normally designed for those who does not have a min. of flying hours in order to test their hand n eye coordination. One can also expect to have their medical test after the interview.

how far did u progress in last time selection process? how did u find the aptitude test?
thx n Good luck to u too!
cheers VD

simplifire
5th Apr 2007, 04:40
Hi everyone,

I have been able to get through the Aptitude tests and Psychometric tests in 2005. Found the group exercise a bit difficult though … in fact, got 10 guys to do the group exercise, which last for 30mins only. The one who talks keep talking and others keep listening :bored: . Wasn’t selected for the next step … how about you VD?

Aptitude test was OK for me … didn’t prepare myself before the test yet was fine. But I read in this thread only that this time might be tough so may be got to do some preparation.

Tay19 if you are 19years old this might explain why you didn’t get your letter … but better wait till Saturday … your letter might be on it’s way :)

Anyone aware how many potential candidates have applied for this year’s selection exercise?

PilotVD
5th Apr 2007, 06:00
hi guys,
i don't want u guys to keep ur hopes up for those who have not received their letters (due to not meeting the criteria). normally for a registered letter u shd have received it by yesterday as the whole lot was posted on Sat.
Especially Tay u were 1 week short in meeting the age requirement, what i've got to say mate is that "never lose sight of ur dreams... no matter what.."
seriously this scheme will go for a while up to the next 4 yrs... i'm sure someone like u, will lots of enthusiasm n determination will make it through.
i hope i make it through this time n will be able to let everyone know the process in detail.

last time i did not even get through the aptitude test (normally i'm good at those kind of tests, back in Australia I've got an IQ of 130 which is not that bad! i do agree that aptitude test n IQ test r not the same, i'm not too sure how can i improve. last time i think i had some issues in tackling the verbal bit, the passages kept increasing in length n had to choose 2 true statement out of 4 answers.

anyway I'll do my best on Monday n will let u guys know if i receive the phone call on Tuesday.

btw simplifire, what did the group exercise consist of, any specific topic to talk on or any problem solving?
i guess the psych test was before the group exercise, again how was this one?

shakeel1st
5th Apr 2007, 06:29
Hi guys,

Just like to know. For guys who have not succeeded, Can they just pay for their course to 43 Air School and follow the same program as the ab-initio? If yes, you people think that MK will consider their application in priority next time?

Anyone knows the answer?

simplifire
5th Apr 2007, 15:38
Hi Guys

Indeed the psych test comes after the aptitude test.

For the group exercise, you are given a scenario where you are asked to make decision … all the candidates are given around 10 mins to read the text and the group gets 20 mins to discuss about the possible solutions. In the end the group should come with a solution agreed by everyone in the group.

Now get 10 guys in a room and each of them trying to convey their ideas … you can imagine the scene … complete chaos :bored: !!! I read somewhere that normally groups of 3 candidates are selected for this exercise … wonder why air mru chose 10 candidates in a group.

Tay19 I was in the same situation like you some years back … no worries dude!! Hopefully this scheme will come again :)

Shakeel1st you definitely can apply directly to 43 Air School. However, this doesn’t guarantee you a job with mk. Cost a lot as well dude … if you got over Rs1.5 million to spend you can make it!!

Anyone aware how many candidates applied for this year's selection exercise??

PilotVD
5th Apr 2007, 18:27
thx danythau,
every piece of advice is so helpful!
will let u guys updated.
just to estimate how many got the call for the aptitude test
my surname starts with "D" index number is 60 n i know someone else with surname "K" n has index number around the 90's. I'm guessing around 250 postulants.

Cheers
VD

raviMK
5th Apr 2007, 20:16
Hi Mates..
Many thanks for your continuous PMs,questions and contributions to this forum dedicated for potential MK Mauritian pilots..

Indeed,the selection exercise will be much more faster this time and it will be an ongoing process for other batches in the near future..Lots of efforts have been made after the reshuffling in MK management..

The new team is very dynamic and results will reflect in the coming years..It is very encouraging to see this forum where young and dedicated people are contributing valuable,informative and very accurate information at this stage..

MK management wants to double the number of cadets this time and discussions with 43 Air School will be made..it remains to be finalised..

The selection exercise itself is highly competitive..Over the years,I found that most of the cadidates who had a high IQ did not necessarily make it to MK..There are more qualities that MK needs apart 'A' Grades or 1 units results..A high calibre personality,a versatile character,excellent communication skills,teamwork spirit and passion for flying are the main qualities that MK looks for..

So,it's not just results and hard work that will help..There is much more required to succeed..As far up till the psychometric test,most candidates can do extremely well..

In fact the psychometric test is already a clear indication to the selection board on choosing the ideal candidate..But the main downfall is the group exercise..Over the years,I have observed that most candidates who overshadow all team members in their distinct group have been rejected straight away although they could had been good leaders..

A perfect leader and a perfect pilot will be one who thinks for the team,work for the team and promote his team members..Remember this guys and girls..You are not called in the group exercise to prove that you are a good leader..rather,you just have to show how well you can work with a team and stand as a leader..

To give you a precise idea,in a group of 10 candidates,only two will be chosen..and you should really stand out in all qualities..In fact,last time,there were 12 groups,each consisting of 10 candidates..and from each,2 were selected..before the panel interview whereby,after, only 13 candidates were confirmed..This gives you an idea on how competitive this stage might be..

This posting answers most of the questions I have received and I will keep the thread updated..Wish you guys and girls all the best and hope to meet you all in the flight deck..

All the best..
RaviMK..

UAU242
5th Apr 2007, 20:23
Thanks for everyone's comments.
Don't want to scare you shakeel but air mauritius are very picky and paying for your course at 43 will, and i re-iterate danny, not guarantee you a job with them. Even getting through the selection is a big investment, don't forget that its NOT a sponsorship, mk facilitate a loan with SBM and if you fail any part of the course its up to you to pay it back!
Group excercises are nothing to be worried about, trust me! the hard part will be the psychometric tests, these you cannot prepare for!
Cheers
UAU

shakeel1st
7th Apr 2007, 07:47
Hi Tay,

Know what you mean!! Got the same letter, the same day and saying EXACTLY THE SME THING:E

Shakeel

mk943
7th Apr 2007, 11:24
Got the bad news as well. Was not too sure why. I have around 2000 hrs with 750 multi. Hope to get in one day.
All the best to the selected one,
cheers,
Mk943

PilotVD
7th Apr 2007, 13:22
hey mk943,
I'm quite stunned! with all those hours n not being selected.
have u got an IR? n which scheme did u apply for?
why don't do try another airline with these kind of hours? i know it's not that easy, anyway i wish u all the best mate.

take care
VD

simplifire
7th Apr 2007, 15:52
Helo guyz!

Just like VD I’m quite stunned mk943 was not selected! I believe mk has reasons to accept application only from those who are 20-25 for the cadet scheme
- maturity of applicants?
- condition imposed by 43 school or SBM?
but seems like this yr's selection exercise is going to be tough.

Concerning the group exercise selecting only 2 out of 10 for each distinct group doesn’t seem to be fair. It could be that for a given group A, 4 of the candidates have been to the level while the 2 best candidates in, say group C, have been less convincing compared to the 4 best candidates in group A. This would mean mk’s selection exercise is kind of bias.

I would like to have your views about a sensitive issue. I have always and still hear that bribery is current at mk. Heard that for the last selection exercise many influential persons had their relatives offered the place for cadet pilot. How far you think this might be true because if it is the case, it’s very discouraging!!

Btw VD my surname starts with M and index in the 110s … so should be around 250 applicants as you said.

PilotVD
7th Apr 2007, 19:06
hey Tay,
firstly i would like to say if some was chosen for the selection process n not attaining 20 yrs of age before or on the closing date, it's just unfair!! it says clearly on the vacancy notice of the age requirement!

where did u get all that passing marks from n where do they do the flying, it would be just too foolish to take them all the way to SAfrica n return them if they don't perform to certain std(i mean flying skills), that's what i did mention in early post that AirMtius shd incorporate "hand&eye coordination tests" such as the WOMBAT test to screen for trainee pilots.

n Simplifire the issue of bribery in taking pilots if a very delicate one, i think they'd be careful with this particular job as the responsibility involved with a pilot is too much to gamble with the safety records of an airline.

btw anyone one knows if the set aptitude test on Monday will be of the same format as the last one. i think last time AirMtius used an overseas Test publisher n Supplier (it was from London form memory).

Cheers
VD

raviMK
8th Apr 2007, 02:09
Dear Mates..

Thank you very much for all your PMs and emails..Will try to answer all your questions and clear doubts..

Indeed,many of you do under-estimate the importance of the group exercise..I would like to highlight it again if necessary..The figure that I gave in my previous posting is accurate..Only two candidates get selected per group..There is equal chances and I see it's quite fair enough as all groups get the same situation and are expected to have common reactions with other groups..So,even if a group does extremely well,only the best two candidates are selected out of it..I also think it is unfair to mention here that a group will have more 'better' candidates than another..this has never been the case..

In fact,all candidates who make it up to the group exercise have scored above 80% in the psychometric tests..So they get equal chances like all other other groups to present themselves,work with the group they have been assigned and succeed to the next stage of the selection exercise..

For your references,I do have very accurate figures..The top 13 candidates scored above 95% in all the stages of the previous selection exercise..No wonder,most of them are overqualified with postgraduate degrees for this job..

I think it is very unprofessional to question their performance and their success..The thing called 'backing' where some of you here have politely highlighted it as 'bribery' is existent within the company for senior positions and all general recruitments but in the selection of flight deck members,this has never been the case..

After exhaustive research and enquiries,I found out that the 3 candidates who were removed from the course was simply because they would take more time to adapt to the course and they did not satisfy the 25hr requirements of the test..

It is very incorrect to question their failure and generalise this as a defect in the system..In fact,all airlines do reject some candidates even after they are confirmed in the training..So,it is nothing new here..

Also,i know a couple of guys with thousands of hours and who have not made it up till now to MK..it is certainly depressing but they always need to keep on trying..Much more is required apart licenses,hours,and interesting grades..

And a very important point to be noted for candidates who have not been invited for this selection exercise..Most pilots who joined MK have not made it in the first attempt..So,whenever a new chance will arise in the near future,you should try harder..

Hope this answers the questions I received..
Wish you guys and girls all the best in your forthcoming tests..
Cheers..
RaviMK..

ATPLwhoops
9th Apr 2007, 09:59
Gd luck to all, i wish you all the very best for this chance with Air Mauritius.
I was not selected either, i guess i was stupid to not re-submit my application when they started advertising. Whilst on holiday in Mauritius in December Mr Balgobin advised me to send in my application as soon as possible. So thats what i did, i regret not resubmitting this Febuaury.
Anyway, thats done now i will be going off to Australia to start my JAA CAA Integrated course in July. Unfortunately self-sponsored so i got all that money to pay back :bored: . I hope that once i am finished that i will be given the chance to enter Air Mauritius in the RHS.
Good luck to all once again.

ATPLWhoops

UAU242
9th Apr 2007, 11:41
ok guys, looks like i'm the first to get back so i'll start with the comments.

Firstly, that was tough!! I found the comprehension test quite easy, a couple of tricky ones in there, especially the last one. my first language is english and even i didnt have a clue a about what they meant with "east of the sun and west of the ,moon". Maybe someone else knows!

Maths questions got very very hard towards the end, i went for estimation as opposed to calculating them all. Actually i'd be very impressed if someone can do those on paper and without a calculator. But no worries, they're designed to be impossible!

As for the "technical/science" exam, it turned out to be a chemistry/biology/physics test! its been around 10 yrs since i did those and i'm struggling to understand which aspect of our aptitudes it was supposed to be testing! If someone knows then please tell me! I can understand physics, but chemistry?? Biology??? the application requirements said nothing about needing to know those subjects!
For those who werent there, it consisted of questions such as "how many atoms/molecules does water consist of" and "when do leaves create oxygen". "what happens to the water when you sit in the bath". "what is the name of the element Pb". what is the name of the process when metal rusts" or something like that! also a question on hydroelectricity. thats all i can remember at the moment.

Good luck to all that were there!

UAU242

simplifire
9th Apr 2007, 13:49
Hi guys

Just came back from the 2nd batch test and YES it was … it was TOUGH!!! :\

As I read the instruction leaflet, the 1st difference to the previous selection exercise (2005) was that it consisted of 4 sections instead of 3. The comprehension section, mental exercise section, computational section and last, the technical section.

The comprehension section was tricky indeed. I had to read each short text twice to understand it and when answering the questions I had to return back again. :hmm: I was thus short of time to complete the last one. In all 4 short texts with 5 questions each, a total of 20 questions.

The mental one consisted of around 30 questions. Very different from the last selection exercise once again. No diagrammatic questions but related to patterns logic. I had a few problems with this section as well.

There was around 30-35 questions (can’t really remember) for the Computational section for a total of 35mins. It started with easy ones … too easy I thought but as I reached number 15, things were not that easy … by number 25 I simply had to guess the answers … why?? My brain just couldn’t do it!!! :ugh:

And the last part well, been 5years now didn’t learn anything about chemistry, biology or physics so no doubt I didn’t know many questions.

Conclusion I don’t feel like I did well this time :( … was difficult for me … time management was the main problem I believe and the technical part I didn’t expect it at all!!

How bout U guys who did the test?? Easy or Tough??

stephan2009
9th Apr 2007, 14:53
hi guys!! it was very difficult for me too!!!
i don`t think they will call me for the next test...maybe nxt year !! :(

UAU242
9th Apr 2007, 17:52
i don't remember seeing a name published on the paper, but a South African called Dr Lick (or something like that) was the guy supervising.
I really don't see how a general science test can do anything to test aptitudes. If you didnt study chemistry and biology you could be einstein and still not pass! For me it was a guessing game. Maybe MK want lucky pilots, not able ones.
Sorry, just cant get over it at the moment!

simplifire
10th Apr 2007, 04:22
Same for me! :( Can't get over it!!
No negative marking but the supervisor (Dr Lick as called by UAU242) mentioned that there will be negative marking for those giving more than 2 answers ... Dont know if he was joking or was really the case!

PilotVD
10th Apr 2007, 05:38
hey guys,
well sorry for the late feedback, wasn't in the mood yesterday after what i went through.
I also found the aptitude test tough n unfair to those who have not studied chemistry or biology at high school and for those who have done the science subjects ages ago.
personally, i have never done biology n did know the meaning of "osmosis", as for the physics bit I was kind of rusty but was lucky for chemistry as it is my favourite subject at high school,though i've not done it for 6 yrs since i last did it.

the test: reading comprehension was extract of articles from the reader's digest, the fonts were so small n the lines so close to each other that made reading a bit difficult. yeah they were tricky ones!!! luckily this time that there was only one correct answer to choose out of the four statements.

mental alertness: some sequences with numbers and "sequences" or pattern i don't how to refer them, with alphabets, i can't remember the exact example but just to give u an idea, if 'BIN' could be written as 'AHM', how would 'HOUSE' be coded as? n more stuff on this.
also there were questions like these, if if 'SOIL' is to 'EARTH' what would 'OXYGEN' is to..... 2 of the answers were GAS n ATMOSPHERE, i chose the latter.

computation(maths) which got pretty hard towards the end, some of them i had to make some educated guess. still it was not that hard but it was just the time constraint. i don't know why they've chosen this kind of numerical reasoning as one in the plane interprets charts, data or stuff like that n not evaluate complex mathematical problems!

n last bit as u've all heard already is the science n technical test.
formula of sulphuric acid, how can water be separated into hydrogen n oxygen, what happens to water when it is heated/ when it freezes does it contracts/expands /stays the same. speed of light,what do fertilizers do, meaning of galvanometer, isotope, what is a pipette, i went for a scientific measurement, the other answers were a bit weird.

yeah that's about it,

will let u guys know of the outcome, good luck.
cheers
VD

UAU242
10th Apr 2007, 15:19
Hi guys!

Got a call today around 1600 asking me to attend the psychometric test and interview tommorrow morning at Plaisance!

Did anyone else hear anything?

Cheers

UAU242

simplifire
10th Apr 2007, 15:27
No call for me! :(

Gudluck UAU242

stephan2009
10th Apr 2007, 15:31
no call for me too!! :(
good luck guys!

PilotVD
10th Apr 2007, 16:11
hi guys,
got a call too at around the same time as UAU, my session is in the afternoon.
Good Luck UAU242!

for those who have not heard anything, pls do not lose hope n keep persevering until ur dreams come true.

take care
VD

UAU242
10th Apr 2007, 16:32
cheers guys, and good luck to you too VD. Will try get some information tommorrow about whether the interviews will be over the course of a fgew days or if it just tommorrow....

UAU242
11th Apr 2007, 19:51
hi there
Psychometric tests done today, they were tricky. Had to really concentrate. Interview was good, friendly, relaxed. took on average about 45 mins I think.

Apparently next stage is final interview!

nivek
12th Apr 2007, 14:23
hi everyone...
i'm new here,same as many of u here, i did the aptitude test this week... n still waiting for an answer from air mauritius...i'm wondering if i still have a chance to get throught the next test...coz
can any1 tell me how many candidates they expect to select from the first test? any1 who already did the 2nd test alreday,can u tell me how much candidates were there???plz.

do i hv a chance of being call till monday????

simplifire
12th Apr 2007, 15:40
Hi Nivek!

When U went for the psychometric test, how many candidates were there? Multiply this number by 2 for the mornin n afternoon session n multiply by the number of days the test is going on(which unfortunately i dont know myself :bored:). Might give an estimate of how many candidates were selected for the 2nd stage.

Nivek/UAU242:
What type of questions U were asked for the interview?
Who was among the panel of interviewers?
Whats the next steps for U guys? Any date given when U might get a call for the next stage?
What happened to the group exercise??Seems like it's very different from the selection exercise 2005...

And U PilotVD how was it?

theengineer
12th Apr 2007, 16:11
Hi there..
Actually the psychometric test and interview are being done in alphabetic order of surname.
If you've not received a phone call after your aptitude test , better luck next time.

What dress code would you recommend for the interview?
What's the psychometric test and interview all about?
:sad:

theengineer
12th Apr 2007, 16:22
What dress code would you recommend?
Is it a formal interview requiring formal clothes?

thnks..:)

PilotVD
12th Apr 2007, 16:44
dress code:
at least shirt+tie. as per any other interviews.
Is ur interview tomorrow, n if i may ask, what letter does ur surname start with, just for an estimation of how many candidates r being put through,(i know it's not accurate though!!!)

Good luck

UAU242
12th Apr 2007, 21:22
theengineer, I don't mean to be sarcastic, but I hardly think going to an interview in anything but shirt and tie would be a good idea!

The pyscho tests are to find out if you really have the aptitudes, the interview is to see they would like to sit next to you for 12 hrs!

simplifire
13th Apr 2007, 04:18
Hi mate!

Finally got a call for my psychometric test n interview!
As mentioned by theengineer, think they are taking candidates in alphabetic order of surname ...!

Are the candidates for a particular day called at the same time for the psychometric test or each one is called at a specific time?

PilotVD
13th Apr 2007, 04:32
that's great simplifire,
there can be more than one candidate doing the psychometric test at once but <3 at the same time.
Good Luck.

theengineer
13th Apr 2007, 13:54
As simplifire mentioned his surname is M, as mine is well after, wanna be anonymous, won't mention it VDpilot. Sorry.. and my interview scheduled for next Monday.

simplifire when did HR call you? Coz i was called on tuesday nite..

May be you are part of a second batch if yours scheduled for tuesday..

PilotVD
13th Apr 2007, 15:57
hey Tay19, how r things dude?
yes that's right, I asked if there would be anymore test(s) to be carried out n was told that the only stage left is the final interview.
After the second stage is over, I'll let u guys know why they have done so (that is what i think though).

N for those who want to know how many candidates for the 2nd stage....
I have also been informed by one the guys from the first session, that only 60 candidates were selected for the second stage out of the 200 who sat for the aptitude tests. He was advised by one of the ladies who was present at RCC.
I guess this would be accurate information as she was helping out with the test on Monday the 09th n Wed 11th.
Nothing on how many cadets will be sent to SA.

thx for the luck, really need it nischaye!
cheers
VD

simplifire
13th Apr 2007, 16:14
'theengineer' Could you plz be more clear about what you said ... couldn't get you on this phrase ...

'as mine is well after, wanna be anonymous, won't mention it VDpilot. Sorry.. and my interview scheduled for next Monday.'

Do you mean that candidates are not being called in alphabetic order of surname as we thought is the case.

Btw PilotVD asked with which letter your surname starts to get an idea how many candidates were called for the 2nd stage ... :)

nivek
13th Apr 2007, 16:40
hey nischaye, my surname starts with R...i've got a friend who was in the 2nd batch as me n he already been called. on wednesday..
but my another friend was in the 1st batch n he was called 2 day....
so keep ur fingers crossed like me, i do hope we get throught....n good luck to all of u who already got an answer..:ok:

bye..

theengineer
13th Apr 2007, 17:27
Sorry had a slip of the finger.. HR called me on tuesday nite.
Well actually my surname starts with "W" and was called on Monday 16th. Got a friend whose surname starts with "B" and was called on Wed 11th. So it MAY BE that it's being done alphabetically..

But there's a guy who said HR called him for interview on Wed and his surname starts with "R". Maybe there are 2 groups possibly of 30 each..Not sure, unless he tells us when HR called him!?

if they are interviewing 10 per day, from this wed to next wed, then the count of 60 may be right.

Could people who says that they are in the 2nd batch tell us when did HR contact them? If they were contacted on tuesday night itself then i don't think there''s two batches...

Sylar
13th Apr 2007, 17:57
I've been reading your comments for 1 week now. Found valuable information! I was from the first batch on monday at RCC.Got my phone call the next day. I am attending the tests on Monday and my name starts with G. I don't think they are carrying tests alphabetically.Got another call this evening from MK,the operator wanted to confirm if all the details were clear and wanted to confirm my participation. Guessing that their are some people that did not attend.
This could also explain why some of us were called recently! :ok:

theengineer
16th Apr 2007, 10:24
went to interview and psychometric test
Gud luck to those who haven't done it yet..

asked them a couple of question
they said they gonna call next week, to say whether u have been successful or not..

Then there gonna be a final panel interview..

C ya

PilotVD
16th Apr 2007, 13:22
hi bombardier,
i feel for u as i went through the test as well. This interview is only a preliminary one to see if u fit in the group, the tough one is yet to come.
I believed that u've applied for "aircraft pilot" rather than ab initio considering the fact that u r 27.
I'd prefer to wait until the second stage is over to ask u what kind of questions did the panel 'bombard" u! for me the interview was much concentrated on my license n training as i already have a CPL, plus stuff on myself.
Did they take a photo of urself from their laptop?
I also asked HR on the day n was advised that only stage left is final interview.
PS: I would also imagine someone with shirt n pants would be semi formal than casual, i guess a tie would make it formal!

Cheers
VD

theengineer
16th Apr 2007, 17:02
they took my pic as well....

i've heard from a friend that one guy whose mum n dad were pilots or ex-pilots accompanied him to that psychometric test and interview.. :bored: May be his mum n dad feared he would get lost at SSR International Airport. If he's been mature enough, he wouldn't have done that, still holding mummy's hand..Grow up n be independent..:confused:

No one is a born pilot...

When MK talks about "No canvassing....." in the press ad, sometimes i have doubts.. :rolleyes: I'd love to wait for the result to see if that statement is true or not...

[p.s If you are the one am referring to and u r reading this... next time don't bring ur mum n dad with u... Grow up dude]:D

simplifire
17th Apr 2007, 09:50
Hello guyz

just been back from the tests n interview! Well i found it bit tough .. it's very different from the last selection exercise and i agree with others when they are saying that the next stage will be tough!!

well gudluk 2all of U!! N let us know as soon as U r getin calls for the next stage.

Anyone aware if MK is still plannin to double its intake for this selection exercise?

And any guess how many might be called for the next stage??

Sylar
17th Apr 2007, 14:11
yeps the fire started in an air conditoner!!!(How could this happen??)
About the damage; I've heard that a room and two civics were good for the crap!!:hmm:

UAU242
17th Apr 2007, 16:15
Hi all,
Its not my style to start arguments or be negative, but frankly bombardier I find you weird and from your posts I wouldn't look forward to sitting next to you on a flight deck! I didn't find your "joke" funny, the misleading nature of which I find hard to understand! To me it sounds like you might have a bit of an inferiority complex! Which again I find difficult to understand as actuarial science is a tough course!
No doubt you've lost all credibility on this thread!
Some words of advice, if you think MK is a crap airline, then get lost and let someone take your place. Also, please post useful stuff, i don't think anyone cares if you love Mumbai or not! Probably you should go there if you do and let us get on with it!
Agreed, its a bit strange to have parents accompanying a candidate. Mummy won't be there when your engines are on fire!!
As far as I know, it does happen that a fire starts in the AC unit, I recall that recently a BA aircraft had to land in UK due smell of fumes in the cabin and it turned out to be a problem with the AC. I only know the basics of the AC, but i'd say an electrical fault is probably likely.
So are there any more tests this week? theengineer, did they say what day they would call?
"no one is a born pilot"....i've seen some guys with a lot of natural talent though!! They moved on to Eurofighter now!

bombardier
17th Apr 2007, 16:44
I am very sorry to actually have offended people on this thread. I wish also to put out that the fire did not occur in a plane but inside a building.

Again so sorry to have criticised Air Mauritius I don`t have any right to actually do so especially on this thread as I have realised that most of you really love the airline, for me my interest is just flying independent of the airline I work with.

From now on I will not make anymore jokes on this thread.

UAU242, I myself will not want to sit next to you in a cockpit as you as a pilot should not be so blunt to your mate, this will create tension in the cockpit and later could cause problems.I wish you could make it through the interview and become a pilot some day. Insult won`t get you anywhere.

simplifire
17th Apr 2007, 16:56
Eloo guyzz

I was thinking of the same thing on my way back home!What are the alternativ ways one could make his way as a commercial pilot?

Indeed, money is a BIG problem .. any of you who can adviz ..

However, is it worth?? Because getting a CPL doesn't guarantee a job at MK. In fact, i wouldn't want to go for my CPL with a student loan and have problems financing my loan if im not offered a job.

hear frm you guyzz

UAU242
17th Apr 2007, 17:14
first of all bombardier,you're not my mate! and secondly i didn't know you were an expert on Crew Recource Management! Or maybe you're not. Or maybe you're joking! Who knows!
I don't mean to insult you, maybe you're a nice guy (with a complex). I'm just going from what i'm reading on your posts,which you have not defended!
Don't worry, i'd not be so blunt on the flight deck, but once the aircraft lands i am free to speak my mind, just like anyone else!

Hi simplifire. There are cheaper ways to becoming a commercial pilot, but its normally the long way! There are a shortage of intructors, certainly in UK, and possibly in the states and elsewhere. You don't need your IR to instruct PPL students, only a CPL and FI rating. I completed my PPL with a school in the states and they organise a visa that allows you to work as an FI for about 6 months. In that time you can build some experience and make some contacts. If you want more details then PM me...
c

UAU242
17th Apr 2007, 18:33
Tay19, as you said, this thread is a serious one for ab-initios. My problem is someone posting misleading information about themself and possibly everything else, and posting completely irrelevant information. To me this is rude, so don't call me that! When i'm annoyed with an idiot i can be blunt and honest. I don't pretend, I'm sorry for you if you do. If you are happy to let him joke and post things about his love for mumbai, then please don't call this a serious thread. I find it incredible you are defending him.

Now, can we please get back to the subject!!

zakiyyEMAMBOKUS
17th Apr 2007, 18:44
:D
:p To all of you who have to go for it!! A very good LUCK!!

zakiyyEMAMBOKUS
17th Apr 2007, 18:50
:D
:p To all of you who have to go for it!! A very good LUCK!!

zakiyyEMAMBOKUS
17th Apr 2007, 18:59
Will there be numerical questions in the PsYCHOMETRIC test?? Those who have been through the test give us some CLUES

Sylar
17th Apr 2007, 19:06
Don't be naive man!!How come we would put ourselves at a disadvantage just to give you some clues?? :suspect:
Go there and do your best!!That's the only clue you can be given!! :ok:

bombardier
17th Apr 2007, 19:17
Hello Boys,
I understand the nature of this forum is about Ab-Initio program 2007. Lately, I seems to me that this forum is going nowhere because of me so I am going to do what`s right.
UAU peace man.I am sorry that I have offended you I am no expert at judging you psychologically.Please forget about this incident.
Dan I understand your fustration, I applied for co-pilot when I was 19, I was rejected as well because of my age.I can assure you that I am indeed 24.I can`t prove it to you.If you are still unsatisfied by my answer, you`ll have to take a chill pill and move on.Don`t let frustration build up.
About taking a loan to finance your studies I am totally against it for a few reasons:
1. Mk might not select you.
2. You might not be able to pay back your loan.
3. You will be investing your time and money in something completly risky.
Dan I am actually impressed with your qualifications and also by your memory.
Small and smart airline was actually the exact terms Dr Arjoon Suddhoo said about Air Mauritius in April 2003 in an interview when there was the airline crisis.Dan having a master`s in aviation does not mean you would be selected.I once met someone in 2005 who had(or was doing) a smililar degree, he did not make it to the group exercise, guess his profile said he did not possess the right aptitude to become an airline pilot.
About the age limit, in 2005 (you might be suprised) the took 19 candidates aged between 21 to 36.
Word of advice to those selected for the interview use small and smart airline catch phrase it will help.Also remember even off the cockpit do not speak your mind "freely" might create tension whenever you are flying again with that person.

Take care,
Boys

P.S: I met some South African Pilot who flew for Air Mauritius.They said the only reason they applied was to get their A340 ratings.They complained they were paid in Rs not USd.They left Mk and are currently flying for SAA.

P.P.S:Who said I don`t form part of the MK management myself.Just kidding or am I?

zakiyyEMAMBOKUS
17th Apr 2007, 19:25
Am wondering how much who have applied + having GREAT qualifications really want to be pilot???

Well for me, i have always dream to be a PILOT....

bombardier
17th Apr 2007, 19:34
Boy,

It` a psychometric test. Pscycho - mind , metric - measurement.
I hope you get what I am trying to say.Want a major tip play video games before the test and go to bed early tonight.

Good Luck,
Brother

P.S: Do as the politicians say "Keep Cool"

UAU242
17th Apr 2007, 21:03
ok bombardier no problem, lets just keep to the subject.

bombardier
17th Apr 2007, 21:49
Good Morning Boys,

Dan I never said you do not have the profile of a pilot.I just said someone I knew was doing the same degree as you, that`s all that did not make it.I did not say that you do not possess an ideal pilot profile.I also never said you were a geek and also you don`t have to tell me that you have done all sort of profiling test and seen some Psych who all conclude you are going/is an excellent pilot for me to believe you are a good pilot, just say so and I`ll trust you.I know that on the next selection process you will surely be selected.Please don`t get me wrong I wish you well.I still wish to apologise to you man.

Anyways, does someone recall an incident happening at the airport last year with an Indian pilot?If you do please post it up I would really appreciate it.

Take care
Boys

P.S: You might be born with natural abilities to fly a plane.This does not mean you will be able to take the reponsibility of 200 passengers atleast.You are not born a leader, You become one.

Sylar
17th Apr 2007, 22:59
Yeps!!one of the military aircraft landed with its gear retracted.

simplifire
18th Apr 2007, 04:51
Quoted from Bombardier:
'About the age limit, in 2005 (you might be suprised) the took 19 candidates aged between 21 to 36.'

I thought they took 13 candidates .. well this is what was told on the news!!Any idea how many were taken in the age range 20-25 among the 19 candidates??

Btw any guess guyz how many will be shortlisted for the panel interview??

UAU242
18th Apr 2007, 08:49
I was told that if nobody meets the standard then nobody will be shortlisted. But I wasn't told what would happen if it were the reverse! With 60 candidates left, I'd estimate around 30 for final interview. But thats just a guess!

raviMK
18th Apr 2007, 13:25
Hi mates..
Thank you again for all the PMs and questions received.. and all the comments/happenings on the thread..
I am quite dissapointed to see the quality of certain postings..the ones lately made are poor and not related to the theme I have proposed to discuss..
There are better ways to compile all this rubbish in a different threads and I urge the one(s) to do it somewhere else..
Lets get back to work..

As mentioned months ago,I did tell that the selection process is gonna be really quick..The final interview is very soon and it is expected that the selected candidiates will fly to 43 Air School before September 2007..

I did get the opportunity to see some of you already and I am confident that after rigorous screening,the right candidates will be chosen..This year's papers were suprisingly easy though most candidates were rather unprepared..The general results show that school leavers and fresh college/university candidates have scored more..but it does't mean that the new group of cadets will consist mostly of them..

The psychometric test did reveal the usual behaviour patterns of regulars and on the other side,some highly motivated candidates..The panel interview will be the final stage to confirm all the compiled results..
Air Mauritius is already planning to prepare flight deck crew for the forthcoming A330s..and there is some planning which is being done so that A319 colleagues can switch over within a matter of days..The biggest shortage is on the A340s but expats are still coming in high numbers to resolve the problem for the time being.

The SBM bond will be signed after medicals.. It should be conducted within one month after the panel interviews..
I will try to get hold of the contract and see if there is anything worth mentioning here in a few weeks..
And as mentioned,there will be an assessment awaiting successful candidates once they are invited to participate in the training at the Air School..

Hope this answers and covers all the questions I received..
Wish you guys and girls all the best..See you all at the Paille en Queue Bldg and onboard very soon..
RaviMK..

theengineer
18th Apr 2007, 13:56
Keep the information flowing bro..

U seem to be our "inside man " in MK.. ;)

Guess all the psychometric test over by this time...

Do you have an idea how many they gonna call for the final panel interview? ANd from that how many will be selected to fly to SA?

cheers

simplifire
18th Apr 2007, 15:01
what RaviMK means when he wrote:

The psychometric test did reveal the usual behaviour patterns of regulars and on the other side,some highly motivated candidates

bombardier
18th Apr 2007, 15:25
Hello Boys,

RaviMk thank you kindly for the info, thought you were just going to be a reader during the selection process and will not interfere. When you say "The psychometric test did reveal the usual behaviour patterns of regulars ..." what does that suppose to mean when you speak of regulars.Do you know the previous candidates who applied since 2003?If you do how come and how do you have access to those info.These are private and confidential info accessed to some people only not your average pilot(not trying to offend you).Are you part of the panel?

Cheers
Boys

P.S: Dan, I guess that the dark side rules again at MK, DFO = Darth Bany.Join the dark side and powerful you shall become.

raviMK
18th Apr 2007, 16:59
Just replying this last posting..
Well,I'm not here to waste my time,mention my position and grade in MK and accept all kind of sarcastic comments..
I really don't need to be here anyway..but I do care for Mauritian wannabees as I have myself been one in the past..So hope this answers your question and gives you a clear idea of my motives..
The information I post all the time is very accurate and it's solely up to the anyone to use it or disregard..I don't have to prove anything here and neither it's pleasant to see names of high calibre colleagues being used in this thread under ridiculous statements..
Hope to get more intelligent questions next time..
RaviMK..

Super_Jumbo
18th Apr 2007, 19:09
Hi all,

I am new here and I also don`t really know how it works around here.I did test 2 and I found the psychometric tests very challenging.I managed to get the ball around only once I think:O and the first exercise was very hard got a little bit confused :ugh: . What are the chances you believe :confused: I might have to be called for the interview.I am actually still at Uni, do you believe Air Mauritius will take mostly people who are done with their tertiary education.Hope to get some answers soon :ok: .

Thanks a lot

UAU242
18th Apr 2007, 21:28
Hi super jumbo,

I wouldn't worry about still being at university, I suppose if they've called you for the selection then they are not worried about it. However, you might want to ask yourself if its the right timing for you. A degree could be invaluable in the future.
As for the tests, its almost impossible to get the ball round the track more than a few times without making an error, so don't worry too much about it. Sometimes you do better than you expect!

JD128
18th Apr 2007, 22:20
Hello Boys AND Girls,

I've been following the thread for some time now and I'm happy to see that many of you guys are taking an active interest in the Ab-Initio programme.

As well as the many positive and useful comments, there seems to be one individual who thinks he knows everything when in fact he hasn't got a clue.

From his postings, he only seems to care about the "Boys" which implies a sexist. Making unsubstantiated comments about his potential future boss suggests ignorance. Imitating a psychologist has only given this poor misguided fellow an illusion of grandeur.

Only a retard would behave like this and only fools would believe his posts and take the time to send "private e-mails" to him.

This "special" individual registered himself here on the 16th April 2007 and has so far managed to post an amazing 18 posts of pure rubbish in this thread.

His personal attacks on RaviMK are completely unjustified and he should carefully analyse RaviMK's previous posts to see who he's dealing with. RaviMk not only started this thread but has also been a major contributor providing as much information as he can to help future Air Mauritius pilots.

This thread is for information relating to the Ab-Initio Programme and not for company politics or for critising the DFO. There are other threads dealing with these topics and maybe he should waste his time trying to seek attention there.

I wish the rest of you the best of luck with the selection process and hope no more nonesense gets posted on this thread.

Cheers

Ps. The Dark side has definately clouded this individual's mind and be trusted he should not. :=

simplifire
19th Apr 2007, 04:24
Guyz let's get concentrated on this thread's topic. I believe we all shall appreciate if Bombardier provides us with info about MK management but like others mentioned, this is not the right thread to talk about MK management. I believe most of the members here are rather keen to know about whats going on for this year's selection process!

As i posted earlier, can anyone get me on what RaviMK means by this:
'The psychometric test did reveal the usual behaviour patterns of regulars and on the other side,some highly motivated candidates'

Couldn't get him here!

bombardier
19th Apr 2007, 10:43
Hello Boys and Girls :O,

Clearing out a few things.First of all I did not make any personal attacks on RaviMK, my attack was directed at the management only. Well, unless you think RaviMk = DFO then its something else.JD 128 you joined PPRUNE in 2004 and so far posted like 4 messages and mentioned that you`ve been following this thread for sometime (so you are perfectly aware that it is an Ab-Initio program forum).

Unless you(JD 128) have some genuine info about the current selection process please carry on being a passenger.I believe your psychological abilities(perhaps by visiting psychs daily) you acquired will be put to better use in some other forums or in a mental institution.Felt Good.You are welcome.

From now onwards I wil give info on whats going on for this year's selection process.

Simplifire, me to I don`t really understand this sentence basically the word regulars.Does it imply previous candidates?Do they still keep records on them since 2003 are those info accessible to other companies?(I mean if RaviMK had a look(??) someone else could, quite frightening.)Will the previous records be used in the current selection process?

Take care,
Boys and Girls :O

P.S:I believe men and women alike have equal opportunities of becoming excellent pilots as well as JD 128 is an excellent passenger.
P.P.S: What does JD 128 stand for anyways.Jack Daniels 1 glass, 2glass, 8 glass and I am drunk enough to post comments.Just kidding.

Sylar
19th Apr 2007, 11:15
Got my call today!!!I'm scheduled for next week. :ok:

UAU242
19th Apr 2007, 12:41
thats a shame bombardier, we'll all miss you. :rolleyes:

I got the call too. Congratulations Sylar. See you next week!

simplifire
19th Apr 2007, 16:12
Eloo Guyzz

Got my call as well! Gudluck to all of U ..

uk_flyinglady
19th Apr 2007, 20:57
Hi Peps,

I have been following this thread only recently.I wish to say I got a call for next week too.I was very suprised, I thought Air Mauritius would rather favour guys. There you go Danythau I will be the fourth female pilot. I have never been to this kind of interview could anyone help me please.Tha!

Hugs and kisses

UAU242
21st Apr 2007, 08:58
thanks guys!

Sylar
21st Apr 2007, 09:38
Thanks Tay!Wish that we could be colleagues one day!!

simplifire
21st Apr 2007, 14:46
Thx dude! gudluk to al z ozers!:)

Super_Jumbo
23rd Apr 2007, 16:11
Hello

Did anyone receive a letter from Air Mauritius?

simplifire
24th Apr 2007, 08:37
Was tough for me!! :(

dnt feel like i did well

Sylar
24th Apr 2007, 08:53
Hope for the best simplifire. I agree the questions were tricky but I`m sure we both did well!! :ok:

UAU242
24th Apr 2007, 22:59
What did you reply to those questions?
And no, the interview was nothing like any of Morpheus' speeches! You'd know that if you'd ever been for an interview before!

UAU242
25th Apr 2007, 11:42
and FYI in my post I was replying to your question!

"It always amuses me to see you respond whenever there is a post about someone not having secondary and tertiary qualification required by airline companies (except MK, makes me wonder)."

I think you're getting me mixed up with someone else!

theengineer
25th Apr 2007, 12:29
My GOD !! was that an interview? or were we on a battlefield?

I've never come across such an interview, where they "bombard" you with questions so much..

You don't have time to complete an answer, and there's another question coming from their mouth..

After the interview , am sure most of you felt how much "idiot" u are... rite?

At the end i was tempted to tell them that they really had bad manners, interrupting me, even if i've not completed my answer.. But i had to restrain myself !

They really know how to get the **** out of u...

theengineer
25th Apr 2007, 13:06
There was 4 guys.. 2 from air mauritius( a pilot and a guy frm HR) and 2 other foreigner( a pilot and the other one don't remember his job!...)

they asked bout my family background, some personal questions, n also checking out my personality (which i am sure they collected in the pshchometric test)n questions about air mauritius and a technical question about plane( which i didn't get the opportunity to answer as other questions were already "flying" in)!

simplifire
25th Apr 2007, 15:26
Bombardier u seem to be knowing a lot about mk ... any idea how many candidates they might be taking for this selection exercise?

There have been posts in the past that mk might double this year's intake compared to 2005 selection exercise.

theengineer
25th Apr 2007, 15:57
Think the last interviews were for today(wed)

7 were interviewed.
Guess approx 25 were interviewed in total..

I've read bout MK doubling the figures of recruit, think that's not true, if you consider the figure above. Last time MK recruited around 20 cadet pilot.

Thanks for those nice word "bombardier".. Yea i think u r rite, they were trying to see if we matched our psychometric profile and if we did not lie in the test.. ;)

Keeping fingers crossed..

Do you think we gonna be lucky if we selected? Got to have a look at the contract first !!

simplifire
25th Apr 2007, 16:25
8 yesterday and 8 on monday! If there were 7 candidates for 2day it comes to a total of 23 candidates.

13 were taken in 2005 selection exercise as ab-initio. (correct me if im wrong)

theengineer
25th Apr 2007, 17:14
CP*** :"Control Tower Control Tower, this is flight MK*** Can you respond? Over and Out"

CT: "Flight MK***, this is Control Tower, What is your status? Over and Out"

CP***:"Losing altitude, i repeat.. losing altitude" Over and Out"

CT: "Flight MK***, what's the problem"

CT: "Flight MK***, what's the problem, can you copy"

CT "Flight MK***, this is Control Tower, what is the problem? I repeat what is the problem"

CP***:" {pchiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii} "this is Fli {phchiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii} K**{ pchiiiiiiii}..having com{phciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii} pro{pchii}blem... {pchiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii}

CP***: "May day...{pchiiiiiiiii} day..... May{pchi} ay......

CT:"Flight MK***, can you receive?"
CT:"Flight MK***, this is Control Tower, can you copy?"

After 2-3 minutes of silence, which seem very long to the Air Traffic Controller....

CP***: "Control Tower, this is flight MK***, plane under control" I repeat "plane under control"..

That's the end of the story..

CP*** comes out successfully from the cockpit with his calm n confident look. Not a single drop of sweat can be seen. He's congratulated over by his friends. "Good Job" says one of his instructor..

simplifire
26th Apr 2007, 04:10
Quoting from Bombardier: 'About last time, approximately there were 30 candidates(AB-Initio).Group was composed mainly of degree holders.Few of those selected had no related qualification.'

Are you sure it was 30 AB-initio??

it's written 13 ab-initio from mk press release:
http://www.airmauritius.com/news%5Cpressrelease%5CPressRelease_02Jun06.pdf

it is also mentioned that mk will need 25 Mauritian pilots per year for the next 4-5years.

Super_Jumbo
26th Apr 2007, 13:05
Guys, I am out of the race.I received my letter today.
Good luck for all those still in.

gilly77
26th Apr 2007, 14:00
Hi friends, am new to pprune although I have been following this thread for quite some time. I got the reply today itself so all the best to those still waiting there is tomorrow if not today, hopefully they may even take all of us cause we are 23 in all!!

gilly77
27th Apr 2007, 09:03
THx for tay, I got the reply to go for the medicals, tht is a +ve reply to go on. I think it means that basically we're selected if we go through the meds. Don't know what'll come after that, but on the letter i received "inviting me " for the panel interview it says last selection exercise. But never know for sure!:rolleyes:

Sylar
27th Apr 2007, 12:14
I`m in too!! :ok:

theengineer
27th Apr 2007, 13:22
they are looking for mature students, last time the age range was 21 -36 years from the press release of Air Mru last year..

N the ones who says they have been selected falls in this range as well..

simplifire
27th Apr 2007, 14:54
Do U mean u hav not been called theengineer?? how old r u?

simplifire
29th Apr 2007, 05:31
Hi guys .. hope U all r fine.

Wanted to know more about the assessment that will be carried out to each of the selected candidate.

Quoting RaviMK's 2 posts

'Rumours inside management is that by September,the new batch will already be there and a 25hr assessment will be subjected to each of them..basically,the same conditions like on the previous batch..'

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=240652&page=3

'And as mentioned,there will be an assessment awaiting successful candidates once they are invited to participate in the training at the Air School.. '

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3240054#post3240054

What this assessment is about and it consists of??
Anyone knows about??

SkYARRoW
29th Apr 2007, 11:06
I wonder what's the level of the ab-initio selection exercises regarding MK? l've noticed cadets(Recent batch) with No "Aptitude" for flying at all.. with shaking hands n feet whilst being in the Air. Unfortunately these guys training have been terminated. Is that a joke from MK recruiting pannel?

UAU242
29th Apr 2007, 11:43
hi
simplifire, the 25hrs assessment would be an assessment of your flying skills after 25hrs of training. These first 25hrs are possibly the steepest learning curve and if you can't learn the basic skills on the assessment then there's not much chance you'll manage to learn the rest! Don't forget that after this there is a PPL exam, CPL exam, IR exam and 9 ground exams!

Hi skyarrow, i think this year will be better, the psychometric tests consisted of hand-eye co-ordination tests, which wasn't the case last time.

theengineer
1st May 2007, 10:38
Has anyone been called to med test?

Not having any clue..And no response from Air Mru..

Can they be so lazy to send a letter of non-selection? Or Air Mru is trying to make savings on the Rs15 postage to solve their financial crisis..?!:rolleyes:

To be more optimist, I wonder if they are keeping a waiting list ! Just in case the ones selected decide not to sign the contract after reading it ! lol.

cheers..

simplifire
1st May 2007, 11:36
Theengineer

i believ most of those who will need to go for the medicals have already been called and those who were unsuccessful will be sent a letter soon.

here is the post from XXL, who seems to know a lot from MK. Thx to Tay who had a copy of the message :cool: because XXL's posts are not to be found anymore now!!

The message follows:
"Today last day, no more candidates will be phoned.
Letters will be posted to unsuccessful guys as from monday.
Very few selected compared to popular beliefs.
To those joining MK soon, see you on the deck.
Don`t be harsh about your interviewers.
Over and out."

'message to be taken into consideration at your own risk!!' ;)

Sylar
1st May 2007, 15:12
Sorry theengineer but the letters for the med test have already been sent since last thursday...

theengineer
1st May 2007, 17:55
Thanks for the rep..

Got the info from a friend as well..who was selected for med test..

So am not in.. Congrats and Good luck to all those selected.

but sometimes i wonder if the psychometric tests about your personality is reliable.. Could have "painted a good image of myself" and i would have been in possibly..

" psychometric test is not a foolproof or altogether objective method of assessment. "

But anyways, will be flying to uk for my Masters..Possibly any one of you here will be the pilot for my flight.. lol

take care.. n keep the thread alive.. even after the selection process is over..

simplifire
4th May 2007, 12:06
Hi Tay & others...

Well today was the last day for the medical checks ...
It consisted of the ears, nose and throat check on Wednesday, Blood & Urine, Eyes, Xray, General check up and Cardio this morning.

A few days of patience for us now until the next call for those who will be selected.

13 guys made it for the medical and i heard of 2 gurls being selected for med check as well .. but cant confirm for the 2 gurls.

A final gudluck to all those selected for this year's mk cadet pilot selection exercise :)

theengineer
4th May 2007, 17:07
Article publié le Mardi 17 avril 2007.
http://www.lexpress.mu/images/5x5.gif
EDITO
Un crash annoncé

http://www.lexpress.mu/images/84594_1.jpgpar Raj Meetarbhan

Si un avion perd de l’altitude, le commandant de bord peut décider, dans un premier temps, de se débarrasser des bagages pour redresser la situation. Or, la compagnie nationale d’aviation, qui pique du nez, annonce qu’elle n’a pas l’intention de dégraisser son personnel. Les alarmes se déclenchent mais on ne voit pas venir les mesures d’urgence.

Dans l’interview qu’il nous accorde (voir p.7), Donald Payen, Executive Vice President – Communications & Corporate d’Air Mauritius donne l’impression de vouloir jouer du violon alors que le naufrage est proche. Il annonce candidement qu’“à ce stade, la compression du personnel n’est pas à l’ordre du jour” et sort des incantations (notre priorité est d’utiliser toutes nos ressources et les compétences que nous avons en interne) avant d’entonner des formules rituelles (notre objectif est d’aller vers la croissance).

Pourtant, le dernier bilan financier de la compagnie fait redouter le pire. C’est la chronique d’une catastrophe annoncée. Air Mauritius accuse des pertes de Rs 620 millions pour le premier semestre de l’année financière 2006-07. Une tendance lourde se dégage. Pour la même période de l’année précédente la perte était de Rs 265 millions. Air Mauritius ne sera pas en mesure de déclarer des dividendes pour l’année se terminant au 31 mars 2007. Et encore, ses pertes auraient pu être plus lourdes si elle n’avait bénéficié d’une conjoncture favorable grâce à la force de l’euro par rapport au dollar. Pour une compagnie qui réalise l’essentiel de ses ventes en euros et qui achète le carburant en dollars, les taux actuels représentent une manne.

Le principal problème d’Air Mauritius, ainsi que l’ont constaté les spécialistes de McKinsey, tient à ses effectifs pléthoriques. Mais, cette compagnie a beau avoir le statut juridique d’une société privée, elle reste néanmoins largement influencée par les dirigeants politiques. Les recrutements et les promotions se font souvent en fonction de critères clientélistes. Dans une chronique publiée dans “l’express” de mercredi dernier, le commentateur Eric Ng Pin Chuen parle d’une “compagnie peuplée de 2 800 employés, avec un manager pour chaque 15 personnes” et conclut que “ pour qu’Air Mauritius vole haut, il faudra l’alléger d’au moins 25 % de son personnel. Si c’est politiquement suicidaire, que ceux n’ayant pas de pouvoirs exécutifs laissent les gestionnaires gérer la compagnie…”

La compagnie attribue sa situation catastrophique au chikungunya. Mais les groupes hôteliers réalisent des bénéfices en dépit de la contraction du marché français. Le problème, c’est “la gestion bureaucratique” d’Air Mauritius. C’est avec un retard considérable, soit à partir de ce mois, qu’elle a réduit les fréquences de ses vols sur Paris.

Les administrateurs de la compagnie, actuels ou anciens, ne peuvent nier leurs responsabilités dans l’affaire. S’ils ne renoncent pas aux milliers de billets gratuits que Air Mauritius est tenue de mettre à leur disposition, leur attitude sera un révélateur supplémentaire de la gouvernance d’entreprise chez nous.
Source: http://www.lexpress.mu/display_search_result.php?news_id=84594

theengineer
4th May 2007, 17:11
Article publié le Vendredi 6 avril 2007.

Air Mauritius est en perte de vitesse. Elle réduit ses fréquences sur la France. Et le cabinet McKinsey évoque des risques de fermeture si aucune restructuration n’est accomplie.
http://www.lexpress.mu/images/83878_1.jpgUn A 330-200 viendra se joindre à la flotte d’Air Mauritius en 2007. De plus, la compagnie compte acheter d’autres avions cette année et en 2009 pour faire face aux capacités de sièges à moyen terme. Air Mauritius et son partenaire Air France ont décidé de réduire les fréquences sur la ligne Paris-Maurice. Les deux compagnies font des vols conjoints sur cette ligne. Depuis le 1er avril, elles n’opèrent plus que 11 vols. Il y a deux ans encore, durant la haute saison elles assuraient jusqu’à 17 vols.

La baisse est drastique mais elle a aussi été graduelle. Sur les 17 vols qui étaient en opération auparavant, Air Mauritius en assurait dix et Air France sept. La fréquence est passée à 16, puis 13, puis 12. Désormais, Air Mauritius assurera sept fréquences et Air France en assurera quatre.

Marc Benmergui, le délégué d’Air France à Maurice, explique cette décision. “Le taux de remplissage des avions n’était pas assez élevé. Nous avons donc décidé de réduire les fréquences. Du coup, les vols sont pleins”. Il attribue la baisse du taux de remplissage à l’ouverture de nouvelles dessertes sur la destination mais aussi à la crise liée à l’épidémie du chikungunya qui a ébranlé le marché français en 2006.

Le marché français s’est effondré en 2006 avec une baisse de plus de 17 %, sur l’année, avec des creux de 30 % à 40 % en mars et avril 2006. Dans le même temps, Corsairfly inaugurait ses vols hebdomadaires à la fin de 2006.

Le code share Air Mauritius/Air France existe depuis 1998. Il est en instance de renouvellement depuis 2003. Mais la valse des directeurs, à la tête de la compagnie mauricienne, serait à la source du retard. Quoi qu’il en soit, l’accord sera reconduit. C’est du moins le vœu d’Air France.

Pierre Decazeaux, le directeur d’Air France pour la région océan Indien, était à Maurice récemment. Il a assisté à la réunion du conseil d’administration d’Air Mauritius sur lequel siège Air France et a pu aborder la question de renouvellement du code share. “Il y a eu des discussions sur de petits détails essentiellement techniques”, indique Marc Benmergui. Mais le partenariat n’est pas remis en question.

Carburants et chikungunya…

Cette perte de parts de marché n’arrange pas les affaires d’Air Mauritius, à un moment où la compagnie mauricienne est en pleine phase de restructuration. Elle fait même face à des risques éventuels de fermeture, comme l’a clairement fait ressortir le cabinet international McKinsey, dans son rapport.

La venue en 2006 des compagnies comme Corsairfly, de Tuifly Nordic, de British Airways Comair, et de Virgin Atlantic (en novembre prochain), ne va pas arranger les affaires d’Air Mauritius. Elle “est devenue une compagnie comme les autres”, dans le petit monde local des voyages, comme le fait ressortir un voyagiste.

La compagnie a enregistré des pertes de Rs 620 millions, pour le premier semestre de l’année financière 2006-07. Dans la foulée elle a redéfini ses postes aux commandes, avec neuf vice-présidents exécutifs et un Managing Director. Et aujourd’hui elle ne pourra pas payer de dividendes…

Air Mauritius devrait s’atteler à appliquer les recommandations du rapport McKinsey, pour sa restructuration. Il y a urgence car après cinq bonnes années, la compagnie mauricienne enregistre des baisses de profits alors que la plupart des compagnies aériennes affichent de bons résultats.

La faute à qui ? Le prix des carburants, la crise du chikungunya, l’ouverture de l’accès aérien. A cela, il faudrait ajouter le manque de chambres et l’achat de nouveaux avions. Mais il y a surtout la baisse des rendements et l’augmentation des coûts. La baisse des rendements était de 4 % en 2005 et encore plus importante en 2006. La réduction des coûts n’a, elle, été que de 2 % comparée à des réductions de 5 % voire 10 % pour d’autres compagnies aériennes.

Marketing, ventes, communication : il y a 80 initiatives. La plupart d’entre elles ont été enclenchées, selon Donald Payen, vice-président exécutif Communications de la compagnie. Le plan pour les trois prochaines années a été présenté au conseil d’administration, la semaine dernière. La mobilisation des équipes est en cours pour retrouver la profitabilité, ajoute-t-il.

Si rien n’est fait, la compagnie risque une érosion de ses profits et des pertes substantielles. Cela la mènerait à la vente de ses actifs. Pire, la compagnie pourrait cesser ses opérations d’ici trois ans si rien n’est fait. Un changement drastique est donc devenu une question de survie pour Air Mauritius.

http://www.lexpress.mu/images/1x1grey.gif

BILAN FINANCIER

Les actionnaires privés de dividendes

■ Air Mauritius ne sera pas en mesure de déclarer des dividendes pour l’année financière se terminant au 31 mars 2007. Cela à cause des pertes de Rs 620 millions enregistrées pour le premier semestre de l’année financière 2006-07. Pour la même période pour l’année précédente la perte était de Rs 265 milions. L’impact négatif du chikungunya sur le tourisme, la compétition accrue à la suite de l’ouverture du ciel, le manque de chambres d’hôtels et la hausse du carburant pour avion expliquent des résultats déficitaires. Air Mauritius a acheté deux A 340-300 et un ATR 42-500. Un A 330-200 viendra se joindre à sa flotte en 2007. Elle compte acheter d’autres avions cette année et en 2009 pour faire face aux capacités de sièges à moyen terme.

Thierry CHATEAU

Source:http://www.lexpress.mu/display_search_result.php?news_id=83878

theengineer
4th May 2007, 17:16
En voulant réaliser des économies, Air Mauritius aura à en faire les... frais. En effet, le choix d’installer des sièges un peu plus étroits a généré de l’inconfort à de nombreux passagers VIP, des touristes et à Navin Ramgoolam qui s’en sont plaints. Air Mauritius n’a d’autre choix que de modifier ses fauteuils au coût de Rs 200 millions. Mais on ne sait pas encore qui va… s’asseoir sur ces dépenses ?

4HolerPoler
5th May 2007, 04:26
Sorry guys, this is an English language forum; if you want to post French articles or chat in that language then please do so on the French language forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

4HP

raviMK
5th May 2007, 17:17
Dear all..
Thank you dear readers for all your comments,postings and contribution..
Indeed,this year's scheme is over and the potential cadets will very soon fly to 43 for their training..

A usual conventional 25hr assessment is awaiting the candidates and only the very best will be chosen..All the best to the new group..

The company is facing many challenges and financially,it will not recover very soon.Rather,the losses the company went through during the last two years are due to the Chikungunya outbreak,weakening rupee,high inflation and the emergence of low cost carriers for the first time in the Mauritian market..
A new class of up-market competition is coming..More gulf airlines will operate to Mauritius in the coming years..

There is a new team working on new strategies to bring MK back in its leading position..
But till the applications are made and the strategies work out,it will take some time..
I did get many PMs and questions whether the staff will be cut down..Top floor management is kidding around with the media but according to sources,the company is going to evaluate and compress its resources
where necessary..
In fact,there are quite some flashy junior management jobs that were created by politicians and for their supporters..Though technically,they are considered as hard assets..actually..they are soft assets..
and these guys will be the first and the most to go..

As for flight operations and all crew members,nothing to worry as in fact,there will be more vacancies in the near future..MK needs more quality resources and local experties..

The Mauritian government is putting high emphasis on hiring more Mauritians in all positions..Foreign expertise is too expensive..and MK is no exception to pay more..

I guess I have nothing more to say in this 2006/2007 thread now..I am grateful to all my readers around the world who work in MK,support MK and will soon join MK..
The next ab-initio scheme will start by March 2008 and I am looking forward to help more wannabees join in..
Wish you guys and girls all the best and meet all of you onboard..Happy landings..
RaviMK..

simplifire
6th May 2007, 12:51
Hi Guyz

Hope u r all doing fine!
Just came across this link about the candidates for MK's last selection exercise. Thought many of U might be interested going thru :cool:

http://www.ilemaurice-tourisme.info/AirMauritius58.htm

Cheerzz

RED LAND ASAP
9th May 2007, 07:08
Hi Danny!

Can you be a bit more precise when you say that "some are just thinking of filling their pockets"

Because I know some expats are still flying for our National Airline for 5000 Euros a month less than what they woud have got in their home country.:=

Personally, I believe it's expensive for just the Mauritian lifestyle. Don't you think there's a bit of loyalty, integrity and sense of partnership in there?

SkYARRoW
20th May 2007, 07:25
Any idea how many new MK-Cadets have been selected in this recent batch?

Lex44
20th May 2007, 19:18
Nice thread.
All the best for the cadets heading south.
Please let us know of your experiences. Hope you carry your soccer boots.
Happy flying and enjoy your spinning lessons.

nilan
23rd May 2007, 13:13
hey guys!im new in here and i wanted to know if its possible to 'recover ' the cost of flight training?i really ,really want to be a pilot and i just wanted to know if i pay for a course on my own , and afterwards get to work for mk , will i be able to repay a loan if i take one :\??
and by the way , its really nice to know that there exist a community like this one, where i see that there's always someone to help and post the answers to every questions.... !KEEP IT UP!:ok:

simplifire
23rd May 2007, 15:59
Hi Nilan

Many of us wannabees do consider this option but it is not necessarily the best way and definitely not the right way if U dnt hav enough money to finance ur course.

1st of all if U r taking a loan U will have to take a big amount. To get this sum of money, you will need to provide enough securities (actual assets + proof of being able to pay bak once u get a job) to the Bank u'll b takin z loan. However, if money is not a problem, U can always go as a self sponsored student.

The next step is applyin to MK. Note that some self sponsored candidates are still faillin to get a job wiz MK .. havin completed ur course does nt guarantee that u getin a job wiz MK. If uve gone thru al the posts in this threads U shud hav come across some posts where these facts are stated.

This said I believ the main obstacle is money as a self sponsored student .. and this is why guys lik me hav opted for the mk cadet pilot scheme.

captainable .. i believ the ab-initio scheme is only for mauritian nationals only.

nilan
1st Jun 2007, 10:46
hey,thanks simplifire for responding to my post....well for me also its really difficult to go on by selfsponsoring .. , anyway im awaiting eagerly for the next cadet selection...but i know that i have only half a chance because im quite young and i heard that they take mostly mature candidates..:ugh:.anyway are you in this years' batch??if so , how is it going?...

ChiyaWena
16th Jun 2007, 11:28
well well well, finally you guys and girls have had the real picture shown to you. i have been following the thread and was quite surprised to see how blind you all were, wishing each other well and so excited. but it was clear that you all weren't thinking further than your nose.

what made you think that an airline would take you on, pay so much money for you when there was a chance that a lot of you would fail, and i'm afraid to say this, but a lot of the cadets will fail. that's the nature of flying. of course MK would reserve the right not to take you on, after all they are paying for everything and basically own you. not only that but some of you might be quite useless at flying and making decisions. sorry if i'm sounding blunt but fact is fact.

anyway the bottom line is that all the cadets have their flying paid for and most training costs covered, a luxury many wish for. so what if you are binded by a contract, however tight it might be. by pure virtue of the fact that some of you aren't happy with the situation tells me that maybe your heart isn't 100% into flying planes, even if you think it is. if you aren't happy about it and say that you could have taken a loan and done the training on your own, THEN DO IT!!!! show us what you got and how much it means to you. at the end of the day none of you will turn MK down, so why don't you just say thank you and get your career off to a good start. you guys aren't even pilots yet and are moaning as good as some of them.

look at the good side of it, you guys are going to learn one of the biggest lessons in aviation as soon as you start. and that lesson is that every pilot has to get screwed at some stage of his career!!!

so wind your necks in and get on with it. the sooner it's over the better.

VS1g
16th Jun 2007, 11:31
.... and so the deceipt and half truths start. Just ask some of the guys that have been there for many years! Imagine what utter rubbish is fed to an expatriate!

UAU242
16th Jun 2007, 11:37
Good point dannythau, only 2 ATR so if all were to succeed then we could be in the "holding pool", if there is one, for a while! I'm also considering my options. A South African licence and no experience on line means no chance of a job with any other airline. It certainly will be of no use in Europe as you need JAA in Europe.

I think one needs to look at the chances of getting a job after. I think Balgobin cannot ever offer a guarantee as nothing in life is guaranteed, but some kind of contract, some kind of acknowledgment that you are going to be put in a holding pool would put some people's mind at ease. MK are getting new aircraft and they will need to be crewed. That Mckenzie report gave the company 3 years, we'll be done in around 1.5 yrs. So the company should still be around. Will they still need crew? Why did they run a "recuitment" excercise if they didn't think they'd need crew??

UAU242
16th Jun 2007, 11:41
Chiyawena Air Mauritius is not paying a cent for the training, none of the "cadets" are getting their flying paid for. I think you missed that important point. This scheme is akin to going out there on your own and getting a loan for your flying.

Aks
16th Jun 2007, 13:12
:( its really sad all this. i too thought that cadets would be employed after their training. But what i've understood here is that if u pass u might b employed by MK but if u fail its normal that u would not b taken.

But how can it b that MK sends u for traning n that it does not give u the job? ... i prefer the time when MK was paying for the training n u had to sigh a bond. in this way u r sure u will b having a job n need not worry except to pass.
MK wanted to increase the number of mauritian pilots so if it does not ensure cadets of getting a job in Air mauritius then it will not b fair.

BB07
16th Jun 2007, 13:29
Can somebody shed some light on how an airline can run a cadet scheme, and not guarantee employment to the successful candidates? How does this work?

If that is the case, i think that running the scheme is pointless..

All of the people who took part in the tests and interviewing process have put in a lot of time and effort, MK should probably take this very important factor into consideration and play a fair game:=.

BB07
16th Jun 2007, 14:40
Well i think that most of us here have got the passion for flying, and really want to pursue our dreams. Fair enough, the selected candidates must by some means or the other fund their training themselves, which in itself is a big, a very big investment for most of them. But then, there must be a guarantee that they will be able to recover and fulfill the conditions of the loan. They must at least be guaranteed some type of employment:ugh:.

UAU242
17th Jun 2007, 01:42
I'm also disappointed with the specifics of the loan. I thought this "cadet scheme" would help young Mauritians to get to the flight deck. The loan certainly doesn't! In addition to having to provide security we are ALSO going to be charged INTEREST! In addition to no guarantee of a job! I think I'm going to take the risk, but i will be spending the whole of my training worrying about my future....not the best way to be going into flying training!
I agree with BB07...whats the point of running a cadet scheme if the future of the company is in doubt??!
Also, if we are not guaranteed employment then why are we forced to go to 43?? its expensive compared to other places, and the licence you come out with (and I stand corrected) is of little use when you have no experience and mauritian citizenship if you can't get something with MK!

On the plus side, chances are good that employment will follow I believe. And the basic pay is sufficient to live and pay the loan back.

VS1g
17th Jun 2007, 05:48
MK has exhausted all the possible reasons for their present precarious situation; fuel prices, hotels having insufficient beds, competition etc. The fact is that the problem lies within and this no one is prepared to accept. Until this happens things won't improve much.
There was mention made of sacking some unproductive staff; come on guys you know full well that there are outside influences that would prevent this from happening.
What you guys are experiencing right now i.e. a lack of any guarantees is exactly the way the company works with its pilots (both Mauritian and expatriate).
The company will survive, and could once again be the great airline it once was if only managers were competent, committed and willing to do what they are paid to do - manage!

..edited for spelling

BB07
18th Jun 2007, 04:35
very well said VS1g.. Lets all hope for a good recovery of the company in the near future...

raviMK
18th Jun 2007, 07:36
Hi all..
Thanks for the updates and all the questions received through the thread and PMs..I did not expect that the recent meeting with the HR guys will create so much of a debate in here..But let me now update these issues, though I closed the discussion in this thread long time back..
First,the scheme is fully sponsored by SBM and the conditions in the contract are straight to the point..Unlike the MK bond all the previous cadets had been subjected to and guaranteed a 7 years full-time employment in MK,the actual new contract dissociates itself remarkably with employment conditions..
In fact,the contract was formulated by SBM and not by MK..All the financing is done by SBM and they can impose any conditions..
I researched quite enough and you guys do not have to feel victimised since it's not a big deal with previous contracts signed with or without MK..the fact that MK is cutting down cost in all it's operations also means that training of cadets was no exception..To keep cash flow within the company,a partner like SBM came to associate itself and bring financial facilities to the company and to its potential pilots..
Now,upon reading the contract,I do understand that there is no mention of job guarantee at all..And worse,I also realise that if ever any of the cadets fails to complete the course anywhere in the program,he/she will be subjected to pay back SBM..
It's more than a loan rather than a payback package..But it must be understood that MK is not having any financial commitment with this group and it cannot guarantee any job not until the cadets get qualified..Neither can it pronounce a verbal/formal/written statement that the SBM sponsored cadets will be recruited as soon as they return with all their licenses..
So,it is indeed seen as quite of a deadlock and not much of a choice for the selected candidates..But this group of cadets will have to go through it and give up the idea that they will not be recruited as soon as they get back and successfully qualified..I can assure that the cadets who will go for it and complete the course will be recruited once they are back..Right now,no one in the company is in a position to mention it but according to fleet/crew planning,there is a high need of more Mauritian pilots in the next 8 years in MK..
And for the financial guarantees required for the contract,SBM is looking for either properties or equal bank balances..This is nothing new as all the previous groups of cadets in MK have always been asked to prove that they can provide a financial guarantee in case the candidate is unable to complete the course or if he/she quits and tries to violate the terms/conditions of the training..
And there seems to be quite some negative feelings in the general public about MK..Shareholders have lost trust due to last years bad performance,mainly to the Chikungunya outbreak..This has plummeted the MK shares market value..But there is a strong recovery and the results are expected to be much better in the next financial year..
Many think the national carrier is in danger with the opening of the Mauritian skies..But rather,this is well accepted in the team as all standards,whether being ground/overseas/onboard will definitely reach much higher standards..The Mauritian press is a very cheap and short minded one..and when it comes to character assacination..they are really good at it..
All the hard work and dedication of thousands of people inside MK is never reflected in the press..rather the mishaps,incidents and drawbacks are always presented in a very lucrative and convincing manner..
There will be more Mauritian pilots in the flight decks of MK..it is just a matter of time..
I advise you guys/girls not to be intimidated by the harsh reality of the contract as in the end,you are all going to end up working for MK..It's just that there is nothing MK can pronounce in the terms and conditions as it's SBM who made and makes the rules..
The HR guys are always open to proposals/suggestions and I suggest you all meet them and try to find some common understanding before closing the deal..
Will keep the thread updated if necessary..
Cheers..
RaviMK..

Sylar
18th Jun 2007, 15:49
I find the deal proposed by MK unacceptable!!!
I`ve seen cadet schemes from different airlines and it`s really the first time that I`ve heard one like this!!!
They don`t even give us the air tickets to SA,we`ll have to pay for them!!!
At this rate,at the end of the day MK will have more aircrafts than pilots!!:*

simplifire
18th Jun 2007, 16:50
i find this phrase from RaviMK a bit hard to digest!!
'All the financing is done by SBM and they can impose any conditions..'

:ugh:

Aladin
18th Jun 2007, 17:11
Dear RaviMK...Your optimism really kills me mate!!Is it possible for airlines to be taken over by other airlines in order to survive??...coz that's just what mk needs to: Survive!!

plocsek
18th Jun 2007, 23:49
Hello everybody,
For those who already have a pilot licence,Locals dont really get favours from his imperial majesty DFO.Last week in a mauritian newspaper there were an interview of the actual MK Managing Director ,he said that Mk is actually hiring more and more locals,But I heard that some expats are trying to get there sons on mk flight decks ,2 expats got hired as atr42 f/o 6 months ago and of course there dad are both Mk A340 captains.
Is mk really looking for mauritian pilots??? If yes, then it should have happened long time ago.There is a difference between what is said in the media and what really happens in flight ops.

Foxtrot_Lima_Mike
19th Jun 2007, 04:11
Wow...I wasn't expecting to hear that ! So basically, take a huge loan, go train, and when you get back (en cas de reussite), bring along two red candles in the hope of hearing from us again....And if you don't hear from us, well, you're on yr own (well at least you and SBM)...Pheewww !!! Geese...It's getting better and better, I thought I heard, read, saw everything....what's next?!
Mentality is the problem...And for that to change, those individuals have to go, leaving the seats to fresh, loyal, uncorrupted individuals...
My 2bucks worth....

UAU242
19th Jun 2007, 10:57
MK will pay for the type rating if you are selected, but you will be bonded.

Hi dannythau, i'm well thanks. Bournemouth controllers are friendly aren't they!

ALTCRUISE
20th Jun 2007, 01:51
Guys, having read the last few threads recently regarding the "conditions" and "lack of commitment" shown towards future MK cadets by the company,...all I can say is BE CAREFUL....BE CAREFUL....BE CAREFUL !!!!
I, just like you, would have done ALMOST ANYTHING to get my first break in aviation, but I would NEVER have commited FINANCIAL SUICIDE in order to achieve this goal! A Tiger will never change it`s stripes, and the total CONTEMPT and DISREGARD shown to present Pilots, and I am certain, for those who join down the line, will never change unless there is a significant "clean-out" of the present incompetent bunch, who I PROMISE you, hold no greater esteem towards "Local" or "EXPAT" Pilots.

Your argument should be that if the company takes all the trouble of putting you through a elaborate "screening process"...and you make it, they offer you a certain "guarantee", that all things being equal, and unless you mess up badly, you DO in fact have a job with MK.

Obviously they are trying to have thier cake AND eat it.....in a very vague and underhand kind of way....and they as a company will certainly NOT lose any sleep at night because of you being bumped off the program for some or other strange reason.

To this day, there are at least 5 or 6 MAURITIAN Pilots with either Australian or JAR "CPL`s" or higher qualification, and although they APPLY for the positions, never seem to make it past the "psycho test"...and a couple of them are still working as "cabin crew"....in other words, they are "in the system" already....oddly enough, working with +-300 passengers at a time, in flight.....but not "suitable to be a pilot, as far as thier "profile" is concerned. Ofcourse, you will never be TOLD what your profile is...so it will ALWAYS be a convenient method to stop the UNWANTED in thier tracks.

Long story short, there is a LOT of politics here, and these guys certainly DON`T play ball fairly....so once again, if you are starting from the bottom, and get offered this strange "maybe we`ll use you after training, maybe not"...get yourself a GOOD LAWYER to read through the fine print and make sure ther is an "escape clause" so that you are covered if the boys in the glass tower are having a bad day....and there will be MANY of those, I promise you! Otherwise you will end up wondering the streets with a HUGE bond and nowere to go to!

VS1g
20th Jun 2007, 04:42
Ravi, wake up and smell the roses.... oh and by the way your coffee is cold. Take off your managent blinkers and see what is really going on around you.

ChiyaWena
20th Jun 2007, 11:27
shame plocsek, you obviosly been beaten with the short end of the stick and are feeling sorry for yourself.

MK may have hired ATR f/o's a few months back that had fathers in the airline, but what about the other f/o's that they hired who were expatriate and had no links to the airline. didn't think about them did you.

the reason those pilots were hired was do to their experience. i believe they all went through the same application process and interview as any mauritians on the same intake. MK can't compare plus/minus 1500 multi eng turbine hours on an expats CV to 300 single engine hours on a mauritians CV. if you were a passenger on the aircraft or had family on it. who would you rather have flying it.

not only that but what is an airline to do when it needs crew at entry level and no locals are available. should they just not hire and start cancelling flights because they have said that they want to hire more mauritian pilots. i've also heard lately that MK have stuggled more so with one or two of their local newbee's in training than they have with some expats.

it's supply and demand mate and nothing to do with whether their daddy flies a big plane for MK. and i'm sure the guys that you are getting at wouldn't appreciate your comments. in actual fact i know of more than one expat who all had ties within the airline and didn't get offered the job because there were suitably qualified mauritians to do the job. and that is the whole point of this wierd cadet scheme, if you can call it that. is to curb the supply and demand problem and to try and get a pool of mauritans to pull from when they need to.

so take your sour grapes and sit quietly in the corner eating them by yourself whilst we watch the circus play out in front of us.

ChiyaWena
22nd Jun 2007, 08:41
First of all, no I’m not a professor, not in aviation or anything else. Just someone who’s been around long enough to see the big picture.

Dany I think you’ve kind of missed Djaffer’s point. What he’s saying is that MK isn’t the only option for a young mauritian wanting to fly. Of course all of you have the dream for flying for the national carrier, but if it isn’t the best option for you then why kill yourself figuring out how you are going to become I pilot for them.

A lot of us grow up aspiring to be an airline pilot flying a big jet, but that’s purely because as a youngster that is 99% of the aviation we are associated to. And so to us, that’s what being a pilot means, flying for an airline. But there are plenty of other types of aviation out there, and if you ask any airline pilot today, I guarantee that most of them never started in an airline straight away. what about bush flying in Africa, float planes in Canada, aid relief, survey etc etc etc……….. and from my experience any pilot who joins an airline with that sort of background, makes for a better airline pilot.

Now for those of you about to get their nice shinny license, look at all the options, and make MK just one of them. Don’t expect a job anytime soon, I know people, myself included that back in the day, walked the taxiways, hanger corridors, and airport offices, begging for a job, only to have the door slammed in your face. Even offering to fly for free. But you HAVE to get out there. Speak to people in the industry and plan your attack. No one is going to come to you.

Also remember this, MK don’t like doing favours for anyone, and I promise that if you get out there and try find work, MK management will look at it in a positive way and you’ll come across as someone with determination.

Now for those of you that haven’t started training yet, what’s the rush?? If you have cash problems, then forget about flying for a year or 2 and go work overseas and earn some money, what’s wrong with you guys, you’d all rather moan on pprune that you don’t have money :ugh:. Well newsflash guys, most people starting in aviation don’t have the finances to start, but they make it happen. Go and earn some pounds or dollars, bring it home and then pay for you flying. You aren’t going to miss out on anything, trust me there will still be planes that need pilots in 2 years time. And also keep MK as an option and not a target.

There are cheaper ways of getting your wings than the ones you guys are complaining about.

So I’ll leave you guys with this thought, across the world national airlines employ about 85% locals in their national airline, that’s an average. but more than 90 % of pilots from a particular country don’t fly for their national carrier………………. :ok:

UAU242
23rd Jun 2007, 00:58
I'd just like to throw in a few points about the previous threads.

Capt Jaffer, you can't leave out conversions in your analysis! They cost time and money, you'll soon see that 1.5 million rising and rising, especially if you don't pass everything first time! Its true that a PPL in uk is essentially the same as PPL in, say, Oz. But whats that got to do with us?? We want to be CPL pilots, not PPL-ers flying on weekends.
Its true there are jobs out there in the world, in all the areas that ChiyaWena mentionned. But there are also thousands of others looking for that job...it could take 1 month, 6 months, 1 year..to get that job. Also costing time and money..and we see that 1.5 million rising again.
Finally, I wouldn't go by whatever Rod Machado says. There are plenty of people who will train and spend the money and never ever get employed in aviation, for whatever reason. I'd say like ChiyaWena, get out there and speak to people and take these posts with a pinch of salt.
Finally, it will take more than 1 or 2 years to save up for a CPL/IR, depending on where you want to do it. Also, working visa's are not exactly a walk in the park to get. There are barriers ChiyaWena that prevent some people, don't forget these.

I don't want to sound all doom and gloom however. I believe it can be done with time and determination. To anyone wanting to embark on that journey, just make sure you get your medical done first!!!

UAU242
25th Jun 2007, 20:46
Hi jaffer, I disagree that CPL and ATPL licences are the same everywhere...,I've flown recreationally in both the UK and US and, if that was anything to go by, the flying was a bit different in each country, mainly radio procedures. but I don't have 2 different CPL licences and therefore can't advise on this (hint hint).
Also, there is encouragement and determination and there is realism. I'll eat my hat when there is a shortage of pilots in the world!! I know plenty of people who have the licence but can't get a job! If you read it somewhere its probably the flying schools trying to get people to pay for their licence! I'd say there is a shortage of experienced pilots. However once again, not qualified to say, these are only things i've been told by instructors and airline pilots. ;) i'm so pessimistic aren't i! Apologies. I'm not trying to discourage people, I just hope people know the risks as well as the positives!
Nice one with the encouragement though Jaffer :ok:

hr-man
7th Jul 2007, 08:38
anyone knows who the current hr director is in MK? or perhaps the previous one?

alwaysinverted
8th Jul 2007, 12:38
Mr. Barrenchobay I believe, is the Executive VP HR.
:ugh:

hr-man
9th Jul 2007, 08:40
thanks. They really need to change the profile on semdex i guess. It lists Ram as HR and Megh as MD.!

mkdreamliner
23rd Jul 2007, 08:59
One by one is resigning .. it's been Burrenchobay's turn last week!!
What U guys think???

let's hope MK gets better full with competent management guys!!

I heard all of the cadets are going .. but final decision depends on SBM for approval of the loan!

The decision that the futur cadets had to fund their training was taken last year itself .. future cadets need to take this into consideration.

This year's cadet will be leaving on Sunday morning the 5th of Aug.

The Saviour
24th Jul 2007, 07:34
Oui turbulent times ahead it would appear. Looking for some In Flight Relief I understand, why do they not approach those SAS guys as they did a couple of years ago? Or do they need more? Anyone know what the pay and conditions are? Im sure a few of the guys here would love to come back for some 6 months of kiting, sounds marvellous.:D
Rumours are HR guy left because he would not co-operate with the people that put him there. Now they will replace him with someone who will say "Yes". Pas Facile.:ugh:

dingduck2
31st Jul 2007, 16:46
Ejector seats for sale CHEAP!! Anybody interested?...:E:E:E

31st Jul 2007, 16:59
dingduck2,

with all due respect, why post a pointless useless comment, this does not help anybody, but creates more and more pages in this thread, the last thing people who want info on MK is to scroll through lots of pages and have to read comments like that, post something useful or show some courtesy and not post if you haven't anything useful to say.

Appreciate your understanding in advance.