PDA

View Full Version : World's shortest scheduled flight

dontpickit
23rd Aug 2006, 21:01
Found on Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pBXjAQX7W8&mode=related&search=

This is one of Loganair's island hopper BN Islanders in the Orkney Islands, aka 'the tractor'. Turn up your volume to 'deafening' for the ultimate realism! The hard runways are a recent innovation!

Jinkster
23rd Aug 2006, 21:57
Brilliant - did read in an old pilot magazine about that. any ideas where its from and to?

Jinkster

matt_hooks
23rd Aug 2006, 21:59
I love the termianl building, sorry, shack! The minibus is bigger then it!

That's REAL flying!

G-CPTN
23rd Aug 2006, 22:01
IFR? :confused:

error_401
23rd Aug 2006, 22:04
Great.

Personal shortest scheduled flight: 8 min. Jersey - Guernsey

How about everybody else: SHORTEST SCHEDULED FLIGHTS measured in airborne time not block time.

G-CPTN
23rd Aug 2006, 22:08
What's the check-in reporting time?

ormus55
23rd Aug 2006, 22:12
mine is blackpool to douglas IOM.
30 minutes.

Ascend Charlie
23rd Aug 2006, 22:16
In Sydney, there was a scheduled helicopter service, the Helishuttle, with a leg distance of 10nm, taking less than 7 minutes.

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Aug 2006, 22:31
Westray-Papa Westray IIRC.

dontpickit
23rd Aug 2006, 22:55
Correct S R Twotter,

EGEW to EGEP, Orkney Islands, North Scotland, approx 59N 3W.

Some more info here:

http://www.alanmoar.flyer.co.uk/orkney/Shortestflight/shortest.htm

EGEP from FL370:

http://www.orkneycommunities.co.uk/imagelibrary/picture/number1489.asp

ormus55
23rd Aug 2006, 23:12
http://www.alanmoar.flyer.co.uk/orkney/Orkney2/007.htm

they have the cutest names oop the far north.

G-CPTN
23rd Aug 2006, 23:22
Do you think the RAF pulled-out of Twatt?
There's another Twatt in Shetland.

spitfires rule
23rd Aug 2006, 23:24
Wow your sure to pick up alot of time doing that route :}

Loose rivets
23rd Aug 2006, 23:46
Oooo........me log books are in the UK:ugh:

I guess that my shortest time on a 'proper' flight (scheduled and Perf A) was between Jersey and Guernsey. Wonder if I beat 8mins. HP7 F27 and ATR

Used to go into Alderney in a Heron....erm, twas 45 years ago, cant remember how long it took.

I flew round Fairisle etc with the stalwart Allan. must have been going to pick up a DC3 or sumink. Seems impossible to think that he has retired. He would suddenly make a turn at some point when you could only see grey grey water. I asked how he new when to turn. "There's an eddy coming off......" (some little spit or another), he knew the shape of the water!:D

Conan the Librarian
24th Aug 2006, 00:12
Think LoganAir used to hold the record on a beneficially windy day of 53 seconds, somewhere up in the islands of NW Scotland. And this, in an Islander!

Memory dims so don't count on this as Gospel.

Conan

con-pilot
24th Aug 2006, 00:20
I may be mistaken and at my age it is entirely possible, however, was not the airplane used for years for the Orkney Islands run a Ford Tri Motor?

PLovett
24th Aug 2006, 00:24
Personal shortest flight was about 1 minute. Takeoff runway 30 at Hobart and landed runway 24 at Cambridge.

Could have been shorter if Hobart Tower would have let you use runway 27 at Cambridge but it would have meant flying past their tower at an uncomfortably close distance. :eek: :}

For those now wondering, it was in Tasmania Australia and many years ago when they would let you have some fun. :ok:

pigboat
24th Aug 2006, 02:31
Old Fort Bay (YFT) to St. Paul's River (YSP), 7 statute miles with an Otter on floats. Or skis, depending on the season. Took about 4 minutes. :p

Connie that Tri-motor sched wasn't Port Clinton OH to some island in Lake Erie up near Sandusky, was it? They ran that with a Tri-motor well into the 1970's I believe.

seacue
24th Aug 2006, 02:55
Very short international flights are between Sint Maarten SXM and Saint Barths SBH and between SXM and Anguilla AXA. They are about 15 minutes. Operated by Twotter or Islander or .....

Sultan Ismail
24th Aug 2006, 04:02
I am informed by No.1 son that he was in the jump seat of a SWISSAIR MD-11 from Brazzaville to Kinshasa, when the block time was recorded at 9 minutes. The Capt. claimed a record for this, which required getting the right runway out of Brazzaville and lobbing directly into Kinshasa. Runway headings are within 10 deg of each other and the crow flies 14 nms.

I enjoyed the original posting of the LoganAir flight, however it brought back to me the reason I live just a couple of degrees above the Equator, the cold seemed to radiate from that Islander cockpit, and onto my lap(top)

TopBunk
24th Aug 2006, 04:43
Malmo-Copenhagen in a 737 - about 6 minutes.

MMX Tower Clearance was "Spdbrd xxx, clear take 0ff, climb 2500ft heading 270, clear for ILS runway 30, contact Copenhagen Twr on xxx.xx"

Have known guys shave about 30 secs off the flight time by reaching 350 kts!

Romeo Delta
24th Aug 2006, 04:51
Personal shortest flight: Sacramento-San Francisco. 12 minutes in the Brasilia.

Read an article in one of the Airline mags a couple years ago about a positioning flight of an AA 727 from LGA to JFK. Took 2 minutes, if I recall.

AA SLF
24th Aug 2006, 05:00
****e - RD - that was a positioning flight. . . How about FTW to LOV less than five mins in a BN 707 . . . This would have been back before most of the readers on this thread were even born ! ! ! . . . . . . :p

John Eacott
24th Aug 2006, 06:41
We run scheduled flights in winter between Mt Hotham Ski Resort and Falls Creek Ski Resort, flight time 6 minutes :)

Our tenth season of operations, we usually operate for about 10 weeks each season,and we've carried about 35,000 passengers to date. Because it's to a schedule we have to have Charter Equivalence approval, requiring the JetRanger to be operated and maintained to Transport Class A: a bit of a PITA, but then we do get to operate to Australia's highest helipads at 6000ft :ok:

And have a ski on days off :cool:

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Aug 2006, 06:55
Lesotho has some airfields in the mountains in sight of each other but impossible to access by road. A C206 used to do the sched with a takeoff at the upper field, basically getting airborne, cutting power, nosing over and lowering flap to land at the lower after a turn down the valley.

We flew relief workers and supplies between two fields on opposite sides of a flooded area around 200-300m apart. The few seconds logged almost didn't seem worth the effort.

flugholm
24th Aug 2006, 07:39
My old pax flight log shows the following:
28 Mar 1980 MIA-FLL EA177 B727-200 N869EA
That's 21nm. Can't have taken very long...!

A few very short scheduled flights are offered from the German mainland to the Frisian islands by LFH (from Harle to Wangerooge, Langeoog, Baltrum, Norderney, Juist, Borkum) and Frisia (from Norddeich-Norden to Juist (and the other islands on request). That's Islander hub-and-spoke traffic! :D

con-pilot
24th Aug 2006, 18:32
Connie that Tri-motor sched wasn't Port Clinton OH to some island in Lake Erie up near Sandusky, was it? They ran that with a Tri-motor well into the 1970's I believe.

Yes, I do believe that was it, thanks.:ok:

rawmac
28th Aug 2006, 20:59
That Loganair video was shot on a flight from Papay (Papa Westray) to Westray and was relatively long because of the wind direction. I know 'cos I was piloting it. Weird to see it on the net. Weather's been lovely and sunny this last week!

J.O.
29th Aug 2006, 00:08
My old pax flight log shows the following:
28 Mar 1980 MIA-FLL EA177 B727-200 N869EA
That's 21nm. Can't have taken very long...!

Unless things have changed in Miami's airspace, that flight probably took at least 20 minutes! The flight from Moosonee to Moose Factory is about 2 minutes in a KingAir 100.

G-CPTN
29th Aug 2006, 00:13
The flight from Moosonee to Moose Factory is about 2 minutes in a KingAir 100.
The take-off roll at Frankfurt is (was) longer than THAT!

GLS 62
29th Aug 2006, 02:15
I remember TTA published schedule from KDAL to KGSW was 15 minutes gate to gate. This was a DC3 in the 60's. There was also a KDAL to KELP daily flight with 9 stops (same schedule)

Devils Martini
29th Aug 2006, 03:53
Great video, my pushback yesterday took longer than that...

Visited Fair Isle in my hardcore GA days and had a chat with the Islander chap that landed while we were there. Procedure for finding Fair Isle in crap weather - fly along the sea at 100 ft till you see the cliffs, find a cliff you recognise, climb to airfield level and land!

Nice.

Loose rivets
29th Aug 2006, 04:59
Yep, often the only way going to Sumbrough. I used to hold the Dak at some height between the waves and the cloud-base. The only problem was being careful not to get salt spray on the airframe. More often than not the viz under the cloud was good, and if I could see Fairisle at a good distance, I would be happy to go on to the lead in lights that curved round Sumbrough Head hotel.

With poor the aids of the time, once up in the cloud, most times there was little chance of a successful procedure to get down.

BA got seriously ticked-off by the independents getting in while they circled overhead.

Charlie Foxtrot India
29th Aug 2006, 06:11
Wow that brings back memories of living in JER!

Gotta love that Acoustic Lift Technology

prospector
29th Aug 2006, 08:34
rawmac,
Must be the 300hp version to lift all that gold bar:ok:

spittingimage
29th Aug 2006, 09:53
Loganair's Westray - Papa Westray ? Been there, done that, accompanied by Mrs SI and the two SI Jnrs. We were the only pax !

Also done Loganair's Tingwall - Papa Stour in Shetland. Probably about 10 mins duration; 15 nm ? Not too sure.

rawmac, you must have one of the best jobs in the world !

The SSK
29th Aug 2006, 09:53
I've done Brussels-Antwerp a few times, 7min30 in an F27, 12min in a Dakota. And since Brussels had no facilities for domestic flights, got a stamp in the passport as well.

I also once had to make an urgent trip by road between the same two airports. It was marginally cheaper to hire a car than to take a taxi, so that's what I did. So I wonder if I hold the record for the shortest ever one-way car hire - 25 minutes.

G-CPTN
29th Aug 2006, 10:11
Whatever happened to passport stamps?
In the 60s/70s they seemed to be regular, then in the 80s they faded out. Too busy? I was also aware (in the 80s) that you could LEAVE a Country without a glance at your passport. I suppose things have changed now (I HOPE so). Yes, I KNOW they have, because AIRLINES now check them to see whether they might be liable for the cost(s) of repatriation.

YAT
29th Aug 2006, 12:39
shortest one on the Dash....YFA to ZKE. Block of 0.2 and 4 minutes air time. Two reserves 5 miles apart! Lot's of fun wheeling the bird around low!;)

barit1
29th Aug 2006, 13:19
I once worked for an ex-TWA F/E who told me of a L-749 Cptn. who was assigned to ferry a ship from KC Muni to Fairfax (2 miles away across the Missouri River).

He got tired of waiting for the F/O & F/E to show up so he did it solo! :=

WHBM
29th Aug 2006, 14:54
The schedule time for this Loganair hop is 2 minutes, but I've wondered what that actually comprises not having done the route.

If it's start moving to stop moving, can't see it being achieved in the time. If it's wheels up to wheels down then it seems not the way schedules are normally shown.

And it must vary by wind. Into wind you should make a very straight and short hop, with wind you presumably have to circle round both islands.

If doing it direct, do you really have the time/space to make a stabilised approach ?

G-CPTN
29th Aug 2006, 14:59
And what about the safety-briefing and the duty-frees?

If doing it direct, do you really have the time/space to make a stabilised approach ?
Just treat it like an aborted take-off . . .

flybywire
29th Aug 2006, 15:05
Impressive!! :eek: That looks more like a go around than a flight from A to B! With the difference that it is shorter ;)

dontpickit
30th Aug 2006, 17:35

The sector has been flown (roughly speaking) 5 times a week for the past 39 years, thats around 9-10,000 times with no notable incidents, of course not all of these will have been the shortest route (about 2km between runway ends).

The schedule time for this Loganair hop is 2 minutes, but I've wondered what that actually comprises not having done the route.

It's listed in the Guinness Book of Records as 'shortest scheduled' at 2 minutes which ties in with the current timetable, and adds that Capt Andy Alsop once accomplished it in 58 seconds (time airborne?). Time from doors closed to doors open is probably on average 4-5 minutes.

A quick perusal of the current timetable shows that rawmac does up to 21 take offs and 21 landings per day - not much chance of 'reading in the cruise'.

MyData
30th Aug 2006, 18:12
In days gone by I flew regularly around the UK with AirUK. I recall my two shortest hops as Bristol->Cardiff, and Exeter->Newquay. But they probably don't qualify for this thread as Exeter->Newquay was probably getting into double digit minutes.

BALIX
30th Aug 2006, 18:20
Air UK (RIP) used to fly from Glasgow and Edinburgh to Stansted. One of the daily flights was combined. I once recorded a flight of seven minutes from take off from Rwy 25 at EDI to touch down on Rwy 23 at GLA. Oh, and it counted as a scheduled service as you could buy a ticket between the two airports though I don't think many people did.

longarm
30th Aug 2006, 18:40
Doubt it still operates but United used to operate between San Francisco and Oakland, California. When operated by 727 this 12 mile journey averaged 5 mins. It operated 3 times a day. (source: Guiness book of records 1992).

effortless
30th Aug 2006, 19:07
Used to do Plymouth St Mawgan three or four times a week with Brymon. that was about five mins airtime as I remember.

Alistair
30th Aug 2006, 19:32
Shortest scheduled flight by an IATA registered airline is in the Kabwum Valley region of the Huon Peninsula in Papua New Guinea by North Coast Aviation. From one one-way strip (Indagen, 400m ish long at 4000 ft) to another at right angles across the valley (forgotten the name, need to dig up the old logbooks, 400 m ish long at 4200 ft) took about 25 seconds in an Islander. The alternative journey was around 3 days by foot, one to go down and 2 to go up (for a local!) Plenty of short trips around that part of the world, in excess of 30 sectors in a day was not unusual.

Also done the Guernsey 09 to Jersey 09 thing in a SAAB 340 at 250 KIAS. Positively long haul by comparison :ok:

compressor stall
31st Aug 2006, 02:50
Plovett,

I have also done Hobart rwy 30 to Cambridge rwy 27 and it was in a twin turbine transport cat aircraft. After takeoff checks "flaps landing!!!!"

0.86nm treshold to threshold from Google Earth :E

dontpickit
31st Aug 2006, 09:54
Shortest scheduled flight by an IATA registered airline is in the Kabwum Valley region of the Huon Peninsula in Papua New Guinea by North Coast Aviation. From one one-way strip (Indagen, 400m ish long at 4000 ft) to another at right angles across the valley (forgotten the name, need to dig up the old logbooks, 400 m ish long at 4200 ft) took about 25 seconds in an Islander.

Great post here, from 2003:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90595

Lon More
31st Aug 2006, 17:24
G-CPTN In Europe probably because of the Schengen agreement. Computerised passports mean there is probably a record of your movements anyway,
I remember doing a ELLX-EBOS flight back in the 1970s.
Luxembourg Customs had stamped my passport, On arrival in Oostende the customs bloke saw, carefully flattened the passport, selected the largest stamp he could find, inked it, breathed on it, inked it again and then SLAMMED it down on top of the Lux. stamp. The indentation went through about 4 pages

PLovett
1st Sep 2006, 00:34
Stallie,

I'm impressed. I could never get the tower to clear me to 27 at Cambridge. I think they thought they were in too much danger. :eek:

Perchance the twin turbine transport cat aircraft was one of the thingies being used now way down south. I seem to recall that one was flown into Cambridge for an open day there.:ok:

compressor stall
1st Sep 2006, 00:47
PLovett,

Very well guessed! T'was I and, yes, t'was the occasion!

That open day was absolutely wonderful. The crowd were fantastic, we let kids into the cockpit and sit in the seat, they were fascinated and not once during the entire day did I have to tell them not to touch anything.

Avalon a week later was a different story. After an hour of repeatedly telling manic kids and fathers not to push and pull on controls, we stopped anybody visiting the cockpit.

The crowd difference was poles apart (no pun intended :p ).

Did we meet that day? I was the younger of the crew. :E

PLovett
1st Sep 2006, 01:37
Stallie,

Unfortunately no. I had not long before that open day left the blessed climes of Tasmania for parts further north. :(

I heard about the open day from the aero club there, of which I am still a member :ok: and they were very impressed with your aircraft. The club has held a number of open days and they are usually great fun with good crowds.

I bet the return trip to Hobart gave you a bit more time to relax and enjoy the view. :ok:

brain fade
1st Sep 2006, 02:18
Allegedly, Loganair has done the 2min Westray- papa stour service backwards. ie take off into strong HWC. Reduce power, let a/c get blown downwind, wait til you get to (whatever it's called, in reverse), land.

Is it true? I think we should be told:ok:

Max Steel
1st Sep 2006, 18:34
Been There, Done that! Personal record 67secs. Capt Mike syed record 25Mins (Westery to Papi) Backwards in very strong wind allegedly. But great memories of flying around the western Isles, Orkney Isles and the Shetlands (my personal Favorite) in the best aircraft for the job, the ISLANDER:ok:

Heatseeker
2nd Sep 2006, 12:26
Makes my Hervey Bay to Maryborough in a shed positively longhaul.

H

Mungo Man
18th Apr 2007, 23:12
I found this snippet of info on Wikepedia:

Northwest Airlines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Airlines) holds the record for the shortest scheduled A319 service from Bishop International Airport (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_International_Airport) in Flint, MI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint%2C_MI) to Detroit's Detroit Metro Airport (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Metro_Airport), a distance of about 57 miles (91 km).

- which got me thinking, what is the absolute shortest airline service in operation today that uses a jet?

I can't beleive that it is environmentally friendly using a jet to fly 57 miles, thats like flying from Heathrow to Southampton...:bored:

Edited to say that I know about the Papa Westray to Westray Loganair flights that operate in the Orkneys but thats is with a tiny Islander plus they are separated by the sea.

longarm
19th Apr 2007, 13:13
United used to fly San Francisco to Oakland on a DC9. Distance 11 miles.

The SSK
19th Apr 2007, 13:33
I've flown as a fare paying passenger on a BEA One-Eleven the 43 miles between Manchester and Blackpool.

But I'm sure there are much shorter than that.

BA will have routinely positioned aircraft between LHR and LGW, probably as a schedule in their operating timetable, but there's no way they would have sold seats on it.

Dave Gittins
19th Apr 2007, 13:51
The shortest one I ever remember was in the late sixties and was from Chester (Hawarden) to Liverpool. Took about 4 minutes on a British Eagle 1-11 and was charged out at (I think) ten shillings.

PaperTiger
19th Apr 2007, 15:57
5:40am Depart Victoria BC CA (YYJ) Arrive Vancouver BC CA (YVR) 6:10am Air Canada 230 0h30m Airbus 320 Daily

39nm.

Manual Reversion
19th Apr 2007, 19:23
I've just seen an old plan for last week on my desk: Tobago - Grenada in a 747......76 miles
32 min block

JW411
19th Apr 2007, 20:02
We used to do Malmo - Copenhagen. I did it once in 7 minutes (took off from 17 at Malmo and joined right base for 30 at Kastrup).

Golf Charlie Charlie
19th Apr 2007, 20:24
""The shortest one I ever remember was in the late sixties and was from Chester (Hawarden) to Liverpool. Took about 4 minutes on a British Eagle 1-11 and was charged out at (I think) ten shillings.""

I think these flights were flown by Viscounts. British Eagle did, however, fly LPL-MAN-FRA for a while, though I am not sure if you could book for just the first sector.

A few years back Saudia and Gulf Air flew 737s from Dhahran to Bahrain, before the fixed link causeway. That was only about 10-15 minutes depending on routing, generally at just a few thousand feet.

Regular Cappuccino
19th Apr 2007, 22:12
"A few years back Saudia and Gulf Air flew 737s from Dhahran to Bahrain, before the fixed link causeway. That was only about 10-15 minutes depending on routing, generally at just a few thousand feet."

Distance about 22miles & usually at 2500ft (1970's when I worked Bahrain Tower & Bahrain Centre). The Saudia equipment was 737s. The GF services were charters for Brown & Root if I remember correctly and were usually either FK27s or Beech Queen Airs. Dhahran - Bahrain was also a VC10 sector for BOAC en-route from London. I flew on it once, but don't recall where it went after Bahrain.
RC

jollypilot
21st Apr 2007, 10:32
Flybe use 146s Jersey to Guernsey

Technically its not a schedule because it is/was a triangle route and i dont think people got on in Jersey to fly to Guernsey.

Pretty damn short though!

Voodoo 3
21st Apr 2007, 10:41
Our company regularly flies to Skiathos (JSI) during the summer and due to the short runway there we have to stop en-route and re-fuel to make home. Our stop is Volos (VOL) and the record that I have heard is 10 minutes airborne but the usual is just shy of 20. V3

loubylou
21st Apr 2007, 22:55
Midland used to run a service from Heathrow to Birmingham in the early 90's, but I don't think it ran for long, and I think Easyjet still do a Luton to Liverpool.

louby

pyote
22nd Apr 2007, 01:40
Scheduled service between Zanzibar and Dar es Salaam- Happens daily

40NM they use a 737-200, there also uesd to be a company that used a F-28to do the same run.

Load Toad
22nd Apr 2007, 02:09
Cebu to Bacolod is a very short flight - it seemed that air time was about 20 minutes.

The Cebu-Bacolod flight, using CEB’s brand-new Airbus aircraft, leaves Cebu at 7:55am to arrive in Bacolod at 8:30am, and leaves Bacolod at 9am to arrive back in Cebu at 9:35am.

I don't know what the distance is but the alternate to air travel is to take a ferry.

Avman
22nd Apr 2007, 08:40
Back in 1976 I flew on a scheduled Eastern Airlines DC-9 flight from Fort Lauderdale to Miami. Just over 22 miles. Was airborne for 9 minutes. Earlier in the day I'd done MIA-FLL on a DC-3 in 10 minutes.

Midland 331
22nd Apr 2007, 16:35
Circa 1984, Dan Air used to operate BRS-CWL (IIRC), with the 146.

The full diagram was (deep breath)

NCL-MME-AMS-BRS-CWL-JER-GCI-CWL-BRS-AMS-MME-NCL

r

Kestrel_909
22nd Apr 2007, 17:11
By no means the shortest in the world, but Ryanair Prestwick-City of Derry is 93nm.

barit1
23rd Apr 2007, 01:30
Piedmont Airlines once operated a Martin 404 on a leg KORF-KPHF (Norfolk to Newport News - 20 nm).

FA's advised the SLF that this was a nonstop flight. :}

Seloco
23rd Apr 2007, 10:53
JW411:
We used to do Malmo - Copenhagen. I did it once in 7 minutes (took off from 17 at Malmo and joined right base for 30 at Kastrup).

And, of course, Kastrup is actually considerably closer to the city of Malmo than Malmo airport is - and quicker too with the new(ish) bridge and train service.

It doesn't count of course because not fare-paying, but the first flights of the glorious Vickers hardware out of Weybridge to Wisley for subsequent kit-out and testing was less a flight, more a ballistic lob - just under 2.5 nautical miles from lift-off to touchdown! I was lucky to have witnessed a couple of RAF VC10s doing that with water injection to get them off the very short Weybridge runway - rather fun and certainly a challenge for the ears.....

RonYoung
25th Apr 2007, 12:00
Hi,

I've only just found this site due to doing a search about the Westray/Papa Westray flight. I remember doing it on a very wet day over 26 years ago - in the days when the runway was grass - and there were other hazards in the form of grazing cows if my memory serves me correctly. I've even got my ticket stashed away somewhere.

That's my shortest flight - the longest I've made has been Moscow (Sheremyentovo) to Khabarovsk in what was at the time the Soviet Far East. 6 hours without seeing the sea. It was in an IL-62.

Ron

seacue
25th Apr 2007, 12:27
US Airways 1833 737-400 BWI to PHL, 89 miles. 16 minutes in the air on 24 Apr 2007. That is probably an error, since today's flight took 25 minutes and FlightAware shows it took about the best routing possible. Flown at 9000 ft altitude.

Recent days were reported at between 16 and 31 minutes.

The flight continues from PHL to Nassau, Bahamas.

WHBM
25th Apr 2007, 12:46
the first flights of the glorious Vickers hardware out of Weybridge to Wisley for subsequent kit-out and testing was less a flight, more a ballistic lob - just under 2.5 nautical miles from lift-off to touchdown!
A bit more of a flight than that as the runway at Weybridge is north/south whereas Wisley is east/west, so an interesting ballistic track surely :)

In passing, most weeks there is a return-to-departure-point of some sort at Heathrow, where a 27L departure say returns to 27R, total distance achieved about 1 mile, with pax on board. Not that they knew it when they departed.

ContractFlyGal
27th Apr 2007, 01:21
FLL-FXE on Bimini Island Air

pyote
30th Apr 2007, 10:12
Sydney to LAX,

technicaly you land in LAX before you took off in Sydney...

evansb
30th Apr 2007, 13:22
What is the distance from FLL to FXE? What type of aircraft is used?

As for size of jet and distance, I always thought Air Canada's use of DC-9s between Vancouver and Victoria, a distance of 35 nautical miles, was in the top three of the world's shortest jet routes.

arem
30th Apr 2007, 17:51
BA - I did LHR-LGW and vice-versa in an airborne time of 11mins - that in both a 747-200 and a 747-400, it took us that long 'cos ATC restricted us to 250kts!

On a 707 freighter we used to do AUH-DXB I think in a block time of 20 mins or so - airborne - not a lot - and that was scheduled, as was a BAH-DHA sector. UVF-BGI was always good fun in both the 707 and the747/744

memories!!

misd-agin
1st May 2007, 05:23
Wings(?) airport in Blue Bell Pennsylvania to KPHL. I think the distance was 7 miles. Flown in Islanders by Wings (?) Airways. Late 1970's early 1980's.

Airport had a road crossing the runway. Someone would drive out and put the pole down to stop traffic.

Havana had a railroad crossing the runway. Landed there in October 1981 and saw smoke from a train off our left. Laughing, we said it looked like he was waiting for us. Then we taxied over the railroad track....

GK430
1st May 2007, 08:29
misd-agin,
HAVANA - not with your current airline.......unless:=

You have to expand on that one, or can I Google it:ok:

Schroedinger
1st May 2007, 09:25
Before the days of the white elephant (Dammam International), the shortest flying time from Dhahran to Manama via GF that I timed was 6 minutes and 15 seconds from wheels off to touchdown. Is there one faster?

misd-agin
3rd May 2007, 14:10
GK 430,

Flew there as corporate pilot back in 1981. Politician on junket, perhaps on mission to met with Castro.

Castro did meet us for scuba diving. The two of us, both pilots, weren't scuba certified so we just snorkled off the dive boat.

That trip, and multiple visits to East Germany, caused lots of eyebrows when applying for military security clearances. It wasn't typical to have U.S. citizens with numerous visits to Communist countries.

Island Jockey
3rd May 2007, 16:33
Loganair Orkney Islands Westray to Papa Westray - Schedule time 2 minutes.

smith
4th May 2007, 10:08
Flown GLA-EDI on a 737 of fly Globespan. probably no higher than 3,000ft.

QWERTY9
4th May 2007, 16:20
AA used to fly a DC-10 MIA - FLL. Scheduled flight time was 11 mins i believe.

seacue
4th May 2007, 22:37
In 1973 I was pax on UA flight from Omaha to Lincoln, Nebraska, 55 miles. That's in the land of tall TV transmitting towers and it almost seemed that we were looking up at them.

The flight was a continuation of DCA-MDW-OMA-Lincoln 737-200 service. Yes, UA was using MDW for a few flights at the time.

barit1
5th May 2007, 01:35
About the time the DC-9-80 was on the drawing boards, some wag posted a cartoon of one superimposed on the state of CA.

The nose was on the ground in LAX and pax were boarding via the front stairs.

The aft stairs were on the SFO scene and pax were disembarking there.

:cool: