PDA

View Full Version : Cube Test

gconatyuk
23rd Aug 2006, 16:35
Ive got my Stage One tests to take in a couple of weeks and have been doing quite a bit of preperation for it trying to bruch up on my maths skills etc, however, im having real difficulty on the spatial reaosning examples. I just cant seem to do any of them which is going to be a real problem. Are there any other ATCOs or candidates who have taken these testd and also found them difficult or should i just face up to the fact that if i cant get my head around these then i might be doomed before i even start.

SM4 Pirate
23rd Aug 2006, 23:00
Buddy, you are doomed, this is something you have or you don't; you can't "learn it" in time for a test, it's about the way the brain processes stuff.

My guess is nobody has got through recruiting that can't do well on the spacial reasoning tests.

It's supposed to be about turning the 2D picture (or no picture in procedural land) into a 3D image in your head so you can control it. Although it seems more likely that the picture is more about the numbers nowadays, which means I've seen plenty of people have no picutre but a good numerical/task completion process.

pikman
23rd Aug 2006, 23:47
Me personally, I guessed the whole lot as I am completely inept at those puzzles. BTW I am a fully valid ATCO now so maybe the tests are not totally conclusive.

SM4 Pirate
24th Aug 2006, 01:09
Pikman, maybe you guessed right...? The spacial reasoning tests are an indicator to be able to manage left and right regardless of disposition on the radar screen; also about mental processing, good tetris players are probably good ATCs.

But I agree with your comment about not being conclusive; we think we know what we want, cause that's what we've got, therefore we try to identify that in these tests... When was the last time real ATCs did these tests to set a benchmark...? Would that be a true reflection of those individuals at time of recruiting, or what they have learnt over the years...

But there is some validation, based on recruits getting through... Is that a true test, maybe anyone can get through if trained right...? I have seen plenty of hopeless trainees that did get through the tests and thus were recruited, but were never going to make it, well maybe if you had a 5 years training program, so what does it highlight, my bad training skills or bad recruiting tests and processes...?

Courtenay
24th Aug 2006, 12:46
When I applied 4ish years ago I failed on the cube test.

I re-took it a couple of months ago and passed.

If you can't get it AT ALL, then you are on a bit of a loser.

However if you can see some tests and look at the answers and then work out why that one is the right answer, you may find you understand it. Most of the tests are easy to grasp, IMHO, very quickly, however the cube one takes a bit of getting used to... Problem is almost all the ATC tests are dead easy *IF* you have unlimited time to do them in... The problem is you don't, it is a constant race against the clock (obviously that is the idea!) and therefore it is important that you can grasp what you have to do, and understand it in double quick time.

Cheers,

James.

marmotte
24th Aug 2006, 13:06
If you can't find any examples in books (IQ test books normally have them) try making some yourself on bits of paper and folding them until you get a concept of which sides meet which.. May sound daft but its worth a try. If after this you're still struggling just go in and give it your best shot regardless.

I believe it is possible to increase your competency in these tests with practice. I practiced them from books for a week or so before my tests and actually found this to be the easiest section, though there was a few examples that i had not seen before.

The key in all these initial tests is not to panic. You will be put under a lot of time pressure and will not answer all the questions. The idea is accuracy, not quantity. Above all try to relax and enjoy the day, it actually is quite good fun!

Good Luck :ok:

gconatyuk
24th Aug 2006, 14:17
Ive spent the past few days concentrating on getting my head around these tests and im glad to say im beginning to get the idea of it. As mentioned ive made some examples myself as well as trying the examples on the tiscali site, which, on one of the examples im almost 100% sure there are two folded cubes which could be the correct answer and only one is listed.

Thanks for the advice.

soontobeATCO
24th Aug 2006, 16:31
I confirm what others have said.

Its nice to have a feeling of what you need to do for the tests, but I wouldnt advise spendings hours practicing or trying to 'force' yourself to learn the techniques. In the end you either can or cant do it!!

BTW, i came away from the cube test thinking id done really badly (almost a universal feeling i think), but obviously not.

So good luck!

Quokka
26th Aug 2006, 03:18
Good luck in the tests but don't worry if you don't get past the cubes... it's a cognitive skill that you either have or you don't... familiarity with the questions will make you more relaxed and allow your brain to work on it without the distraction from stress... it won't make you "better" at solving them because that just comes down to how your brain is hard-wired (the structure of your brain as it's developed from childhood and your genes).

...although, I did read an article last week about exercising your brain during your life... so maybe people can improve the structure and performance of their brain over time... a long time I suspect.

gconatyuk
26th Aug 2006, 09:56
Ive found that by making a cube and taking the time to understand how it folds and then practicing with varying patterns and rotations has actually helped me to find this a lot easier than i did initially.

begbie
8th Sep 2006, 08:54
BTW, i came away from the cube test thinking id done really badly (almost a universal feeling i think), but obviously not.

I thought they were pretty easy, it should be bread and butter if your goin to make a good radar atco...

Good luck tho..