PDA

View Full Version : mobile phone question

beana
23rd Aug 2006, 14:36
Recently, I boarded a well known low-cost airline to fly a 1 hour journey back to Stansted Airport in Essex. Once everybody was buckled up and ready to go, the Captain announced that there was now a half hour delay until take off, then explained that as a result we would end up circling around the airport for another half hour as Stansted closed at midnight for 30mins, so instead of circling, we would wait another half hour. So basically we were about to sit in the plane for 1 hour. So i decided to send a quick text message to my friend who was due to pick me up, and let her know not to leave yet, otherwise we would have a massive car park bill..
But the FA came along and told me to switch the phone off, so i explained that i intended to switch it off but due to the delay, needed to inform my friend quickly before she left home, otherwise the parking bill will be ridiculous, but she snapped 'you can text once we have landed at Stansted'. Im not one to argue and be difficult and i appreciate that she must get obnoxious people on their phones all the time, but i had to then answer that it would be far too late and pointless by then as she would already be at the airport, but she then replied 'tough, its the rule, all mobiles switched off, we are about to take off' and i said 'ok but we are about to sit here for another hour arnt we?' and she replied 'no we are about to take off so switch it off now or i will have to take action' so i apologised and switched it off.
The engines didnt start and we didnt take off until an hour later, as the Captain had told us, and on leaving the carpark the bill was £18...just what i predicted would happen due to not being able to let my friend know.:ugh:
So i just wondered (as the FA obviously wasnt prepared to tell me) what harm would i have done in just sending that quick text message?

A passenger nearby shouted at the FA 'miserable jobsworth', which is not the attitude i have, i knew there must be a good reason.
Again, im not being thick or difficult - i know FA's are there for our safety and i wouldnt ever try and cause problems for them, I just havnt got a clue what problems my 1 text would have caused in that hour and if someone could tell me then it will put my mind at rest...

Thanks

-curious pax http://www.airlinecrew.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/smile.gif

EZYJET2006
23rd Aug 2006, 14:53
They do always say not to turn on or use your mobile until you are inside the terminal building.:)

robbic
23rd Aug 2006, 15:17
Always a tricky one!

Following the rule as such, yes mobile phones should stay switched off, however, in my experience if there is a lengthy delay, as the in-charge, I would tend to ask the Capt permission that mobile phones can be used. With my airline, some Capt say yes, some say no, but at the end of the day its his aircraft and what he says goes.:)

Getoutofmygalley
23rd Aug 2006, 17:04
Beana

You haven't said if the aircraft engines were running. Basically, if they were running then the FA is right to say 'switch it off' as all phones must be switched off when the engines have started.

However, if the engines are off, the FA could have asked the flight crew if it is possible for pax to use their phones.

Most Captains will allow pax to use their phones on the ground when the engines are off and you are experiencing a delay (subject to local airport rules :8 )

A and C
23rd Aug 2006, 17:20
As one from the pointy end I will always let the pax use there phones if we are delayed providing the aircraft is not about to move.

There is a whole load of rubbish spouted about mobile phones being a risk in terms of induced EMF being a fire hazard, I find it hard to swallow that the 0.25W UHF TX from a mobile being a hazard when most airliners have 5 DME units putting out 200W UHF TX whenever the radio bus is powerd.

In my opinion most of the regulations have been writen by cabin crew management who take the stance that if they don't understand it they ban it !.

sinala1
23rd Aug 2006, 22:09
Following the rule as such, yes mobile phones should stay switched off, however, in my experience if there is a lengthy delay, as the in-charge, I would tend to ask the Capt permission that mobile phones can be used.

I too am the same Robbic - if there is a delay, or we have been diverted, I always try to get captains permission for pax to sms/call their loved ones.

goodgirl
23rd Aug 2006, 23:14
Not all airlines state that a mobile phone must not be used until inside the terminal building. Some including the worlds favourite let you use it until aircraft doors have closed or engines are not running on arrival.In most instances as mentioned above, the captain will say yes. sounds like the hostie on this occassion had a bad day :*

chandlers dad
24th Aug 2006, 01:52
As one from the pointy end I will always let the pax use there phones if we are delayed providing the aircraft is not about to move.
There is a whole load of rubbish spouted about mobile phones being a risk in terms of induced EMF being a fire hazard, I find it hard to swallow that the 0.25W UHF TX from a mobile being a hazard when most airliners have 5 DME units putting out 200W UHF TX whenever the radio bus is powerd.
In my opinion most of the regulations have been writen by cabin crew management who take the stance that if they don't understand it they ban it !.

Correct and many people making these rules do not think a whole lot about it beforehand. Boeing, McDonnell Douglas and Airbus all have airplanes in use by various military forces around the world.

Every one of them have been tested by beaming radiation of various forms at the airframe/airplane from inside and outside to make sure that they are ok to fly in a battlefield environment. Every one of the airplanes that is flying today in military colours has already passed this test.

Anyone who thinks that the radiation from one or even 50 cell phones inside the plane will cause damage or make a plane go off course might want to rethink this. Yes, the old analog phones with a leaky filter would cause problems when making a call near the wiring bundles of the plane. As well most pilots have at one time or another forgotten to turn their cell off, and heard some feedback in the cockpit speakers at times. I have worked for and flown with two of the three companies listed above, and part of my flights were doing these acceptance flights for various aircraft. We usually had a mobile phone with us and they were usually left on as we knew that it was not an issue.

Sitting on the ground with the doors open or closed, engines running or not, its not a safety issue to make a call or txt message. Most Captains allow pax to do this but unfortunately some like to be difficult then threads like this pop up.

cokecropduster
24th Aug 2006, 02:17
As long as the seat belt sign was turned on and there were no stairs attached to the plane with the door open, then you should have been able to use the phone. (according to my airline)

Hostee
24th Aug 2006, 06:30
Ermm.. the airline i work for, you can use your phone until we close doors. Then you can use them again, once we have landed and are on the taxiway... so yes, with engines still running and plane moving.

beana
24th Aug 2006, 10:35
Thanks for your replies guys, no the engines were not running, they didnt start until an hour later!! :rolleyes:

BMED LHR
24th Aug 2006, 11:18
Mobile phones and personal electronic equipment

The CAA has conducted research which provided evidence that a mobile phone transmission on-board an aircraft may interfere with equipment including communications, navigation and flight control systems. There is circumstantial evidence that portable electronic devices such as CD players and computer games can also cause interference. As a result there is a requirement that:
The use of mobile phones on board is prohibited once all of the aircraft doors are closed.
In addition, the use of personal electronic equipment by passengers, such as laptop computers, electronic games, calculators, CD players, cassette players, radios, TVs, video cameras and remote controlled toys, is prohibited during take-off and landing phases, when the passenger seat belt sign is on, and whenever the aircraft commander suspects that their use may be the cause of interference.
Hope This Helps !! www.caa.co.uk (http://www.caa.co.uk)

sukigirl
24th Aug 2006, 12:56
Not wanting to open a whole can of worms here but your friend could have found out you were delayed by checking your flight info on the internet, on the phone or by teletext. Thats why the info is available, its a much more sensible way of informing people who are picking you up of your arrival time. My husband checks my arrival time every time im due to fly home in case of any unforeseen delays and to prevent him from worrying.

I appreciate that one call or text is quite unlikely to interfere with equipment but once you let one person use their phone you will have everyone using theirs as you cant have one rule for one and a different rule for another. It was my understanding that once the doors are closed the flight crew are in constant communication with the tower and the caa would not be at all happy about a planeful of pax on their mobiles. At the end of the day we are just doing our job and following the procedures we were taught in training.

beana
24th Aug 2006, 13:40
Thanks sukigirl, i understand exactly what you are saying.
I would never normally want to use my mobile once on the plane, but just before boarding, everything was on time-which i texted to my friend, then as soon as we had sat down, a 1 hour delay was announced. And i just knew there was no way she would have a reason to check for delays by then and was probably about to leave... Anyway i guess its just one of those things that happen sometimes, i should be grateful the FA was alert and doing her job and we all got home safely, regardless of a parking bill!
:ok:

sukigirl
24th Aug 2006, 14:10
Thanks for that response beana, I see your point about your friend not being aware of your last minute delay to check airline info.

BMED i clicked on that link but couldnt navigate to the mobile phone regs. I know that gadgets such as furbys and psp's (if they are being used in connection with another handheld) are not to be used in flight. However have heard that some airlines are begginning to allow the use of mobiles in flight as some a/c are being fitted with certain equipment to stop the interference. can anyone shed some light on this?

Octopussy2
24th Aug 2006, 14:34
I was on a BA flight a couple of months ago which had finished boarding but was going to be delayed for about half an hour because they were finalising some minor repairs to the aircraft; the Captain announced that we would be delayed for a while and said that we were free to use our mobiles, on the understanding that we would turn them off again as soon as he said so; it seemed to work fine.

Seems to me that Beana got someone who was having a bad day and was keen to spread the misery around (or, more charitably, perhaps was inexperienced and applying the Company's rules rigidly, without using her discretion to ask the flight deck to give permission).

BMED LHR
24th Aug 2006, 15:09
Thanks for that response beana, I see your point about your friend not being aware of your last minute delay to check airline info.

BMED i clicked on that link but couldnt navigate to the mobile phone regs. I know that gadgets such as furbys and psp's (if they are being used in connection with another handheld) are not to be used in flight. However have heard that some airlines are begginning to allow the use of mobiles in flight as some a/c are being fitted with certain equipment to stop the interference. can anyone shed some light on this?

Furbys :) , Lol ...
I went on the CAA website and just put in mobile phones on the search section .Also there are some mobile phones that have flight safe mode , This is allowed DURING FLIGHT ONLY, NOT TAKE-OFF/LANDING .But to be honest I don't really know much about them and when I ask passenger's if the mobile is in flight safe mode , When they have there mobile's on during flight , I just smile and hope it is !! The CAA website is very good , As it has loads of info and you can see that the crew are just doing there job by the way SEP procedures tell us .

And on that note I have left my mobile switched on loads of flights by mistake ..oop's I know naughty , This subject is really GREY . But when I was at Virgin Atlantic one of the Girls a crew member was reported to the captain on a British Airways flight by another crew member and he returned the aircraft to the gate and had her taken off the the flight for texting during taxi and and for that silly mistake , but she should of known better ,She can now only commute on BMI . So just keep your mobile off to be safe .:ok:

Piltdown Man
24th Aug 2006, 21:30
You had a "jobsworth" on that flight. You should write a snot-o-gram to he airline and complain. Unfortunately, there are a lot of morons in cabin crew management and they like nothing better than trying to wind up passengers be enforcing pointless rules which these idiots try and explain "are for safety". To be honest, I don't know what the risks are to the aircraft with mobile phone useage in flight, but I do know that it is very irritating to hear phones "hunting" for a signal when in flight. As for my flights, I tell my passengers that they may use their phones during a ground delay and that they may walk around untill we are ready for departure. Also, if an extended delay is expected, we'll also arrange for water and juice to be served. In addition, I also invite any passengers with any questions to speak to me personally during the wait. But when in flight, I do expect phones to be turned off.

FD Floozy 12
24th Aug 2006, 23:19
As is quite clear with this thread, different airlines have slightly different rules regarding the use of mobile phones. The point is though that passengers can't possibly be expected to know them all, and cabin crew ought to enforce their airline's rules kindly and politely.

You poor thing Beana....sounds like your FA that day was a proper dragon! :=

xx

gib
25th Aug 2006, 05:39
a singapore airlines B747 crashed into a mountain because of a pax using a mobile phone

WE DONT MAKE UP THE RULES AS WE GO IF YOU WANT TO USE A MOBILE WHILE TRAVLING GO BY :mad: BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:*

FairlieFlyer
25th Aug 2006, 05:52
Gib, the plane was stationary and engines off (for the n'th time)

Re actual effect of phones, if there was a real risk, all phones would need to be handed in/checked they have been turned off prior to take-off.

Instead as someone above said, many passengers leave phones on while in bags throughout the whole flight without any problem (except for Gibs 747 crashing into a mountain of course)

aviate1138
25th Aug 2006, 06:39
a singapore airlines B747 crashed into a mountain because of a pax using a mobile phone
WE DONT MAKE UP THE RULES AS WE GO IF YOU WANT TO USE A MOBILE WHILE TRAVLING GO BY :mad: BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:*
Only Singapore Airlines 747 listed as crashing was one that hit runway construction machinery on take off for Los Angeles.
www.airsafe.com/events/models/boeing.htm
www.airsafe.com/events/airlines/sing.htm
Aviate1138

derekl
25th Aug 2006, 11:06
However have heard that some airlines are begginning to allow the use of mobiles in flight as some a/c are being fitted with certain equipment to stop the interference. can anyone shed some light on this?

What's proposed here is the installation of an on-board cell (base) station, known as a pico-cell.

The transmitter power used by a mobile phone is related to its distance from the base station. As the base station detects the signal from the phone weakening, it instructs the phone to turn up its transmitter power. This is primarily to manage battery life.

On board an aircraft, the pico cell would be so close that the phone's power would almost always be minimal, so minimising any chance of interference with aircraft systems. Another effect, arguably less desirable, would be the maximising of "talk time" from the phone's battery charge. :E

Aircraft undergoing test and certification are frequently flown stuffed with electronic equipment and a complement of engineers, many of whom have cellphones stuck to their ears as they talk to colleagues on the ground. The aircraft fly on and get certified.

The laws of physics don't change when a PAX uses a phone.

Naturally, when a PAX, I obey all the rules that are imposed on me, even though I know that it would be safe to use a phone. It's their aircraft and their rules, not mine.

As with exploding filling stations, much of this seems to be urban myth.

Dream Land
25th Aug 2006, 11:18
by Gib What are you smoking?

beana
25th Aug 2006, 12:35
Oh Gib, i would never use a mobile phone whilst travelling by boat, it might interrupt dolphin chat...:p

DarkStar
25th Aug 2006, 12:51

Singapore Airlines flight SQ006, crashed on takeoff from Taipei's Chiang Kai Shek International Airport at 23:18 local time. The weather in the area was poor, precipitated by a typhoon,with a temperature of 69°F/21°C, pressure 29.59in./1002 hPa, wind from 020° at 37 knots, gusting to 56 knots, and visibility of 400 meters in heavy rain. Subsequent investigation of the accident confirmed that the flight crew mistakenly attempted takeoff on Runway 05R (9029x150ft), instead of the planned Runway 05L (12008x200ft). NOTAMs showed that, at the time of the accident, Runway 05R was closed for repairs, and that numerous pieces of construction equipment were parked on the runway.

So Gib - just who are you suggesting was using a mobile phone? And where is this mountain then? :ugh:

It was an appalling crash and the only one shown against SQ. :(

woolyalan
25th Aug 2006, 13:50
gib
Your theory is sunk mate, thats what you get for going off on a mindless, needless rant :)

fly1605
25th Aug 2006, 14:12
Sounds like the FA was on a power trip as is so often the case with the airline I used to work for. There is no excuse for rudeness and abruptness. I have seen it all so many times with crew shouting at pax and generally letting their naiveity and lack of people skills shine through and the mobile phone scenario is a classic case.

BMED LHR
30th Aug 2006, 14:38
Was just checking Fares on Ryan Air and to my surprise , I clicked onto this link :
http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/inpage.php?partner=MOBILE&pos=STRAP

Also Announced that BMI , Will be offering passenger's the same service in 2007 .

beana
30th Aug 2006, 15:01
LOL - nice one Ryan Air, well needed...

derekl
30th Aug 2006, 15:08
Has Ryanair finally laid to rest the argument about mobile phone safety on aircraft? (Also see my post #24 above.)

Retreats for cover . . .

LRdriver II
30th Aug 2006, 17:26

and breathe you muppet...
Wotcha gonna do if Ryanair allows mobiles in flight from next year? there goes that theory huh?..also a Boeing product. SO get off your high horse and think before transmitting

Rwy in Sight
31st Aug 2006, 06:23
Every now and then when soneone goes to creat a rule just because they can and they like to enforce it and not becasuse there is a valid reason I remember a proverb that says leadership shows the real caractere (sp) of the person.

Rwy in Sight

PS it's fun or weird how GiB has not appear since.

FLYING_HOSTIE
31st Aug 2006, 16:20
Well I had a pax yesterday texting her boyfreind at 35,000 ft! trying oh so carefully to hide it under the tray table!

THE RULES ARE THERE FOR A REASON!, We dont ask you to do things just to be awkward! :ugh:

I tend to tell the gruesome truth to those naughty passengers, like how would they like to be trodden over by 300 pax all trying to get out in an emergency, whilst they're lying on the floor after tripping over thier bag, ooh and Babies not in their extension seatbelts is my favourite! :E

Just please remember we will b*tch about you in the galley after

xx

FLYING_HOSTIE
31st Aug 2006, 16:24
PS - also have you noticed how your PC screen goes funny when you recieve a call or message on your mobile?? Imagine 300 mobile phones and what its doing to the flight decks computers!

panda-k-bear
31st Aug 2006, 16:56
Actually, F_H, it's not doing a lot to the aircraft's computers. The system Ryanair are going to be using is a product developed jointly by SITA and Airbus, called Onair (oh the irony of an Airbus product being put onto a Ryanair Boeing!).

At least one of the aircraft manufacturers has tested the effect of mobile phones on the systems of the aircraft with little effect. It has always been a case of belt and braces safety - a case of let's not risk it, just in case. Well, with pico-cell technology limiting the signal strength of the mobile phone by effectively carrying a cellphone node on the aircraft... well other than having someone shouting "I'm on the plane" into their phone, there will be no negative effect.

Onair have been working at this for a number of years and it may end up being a very successful product. I have done some work with them and the only thing which is going to be very annoying is going to be the inability for the system to turn the cellphones into silent mode (or off completely). So, expect the Fasten Seatbelt / No Smoking signs to be progressively replaced with Fasten Seatbelt / No Mobile Phone signs!

FLYING_HOSTIE
31st Aug 2006, 17:06
Panda, as you said the system RyanAir are "going" to be using.. until that day arrives I will still be following my SEP manual, and if people are incapable of following our instructions may they feel my rath! lol..

Im sure it will be a fantastic product, but its not being used yet SO SWITCH YOUR BL**DY PHONES OFF :p XXX

panda-k-bear
31st Aug 2006, 17:32
And a sad, sad day it may well turn out to be, having umpteen numpties talking into their phones at the same time. :yuk:

Still, it'll be another excuse not to put money in the charity collection, won't it (see the other thread!) :rolleyes:

If you'd seen some of the things I've done on experimental aircraft, F_H, you'd be horrified. Mobile phones? Hah! Fasten seatbelts? Hah! Sitting down for take off or landing? Hah! (just held onto the "Jesus Christ" handles, which you don't find on real aeroplanes!) Oh and the aircraft didn't have slides... just a knotted rope to climb down. :eek:

Still, I do pity you policing these blooming things when they do come into service. :rolleyes:

Biggles' Apprentice
31st Aug 2006, 18:04
I personally think the main issue here will be disharmony between unrelated SLF seated next to each other, annoyed by constant yattering.

Perhaps the solution is quiet zones, like Virgin trains if this does go ahead.

I certainly believe that air rage incidents will go up and I pity you lot who will have to deal with it....although that's your problem...all I demand is no sugar, lots of milk and don't forget the ketchup sachets with my main, otherwise the door will remain locked when that fat yank is going off on one to you :}

BMED LHR
31st Aug 2006, 18:35
Are we not taken this subject to far ...I think we all get the message and the reason I put the Ryan Air Link was so everyone can build a bridge and get over it !!

FLYING_HOSTIE
31st Aug 2006, 18:48
Biggles - Thats why we have handcuffs and restraining straps my dear! Theres nothing better than watching some idiot being carted off by the police, so its not our problem at all, its our entertainment :D .

And BMED - t'is a chat forum, thats what we're doing here, chatting my lovley... its called a conversation. Mwa Mwa x.:ok:

Biggles' Apprentice
31st Aug 2006, 18:50
Biggles - Thats why we have handcuffs and restraining straps my dear!

Really? My CSD normally takes those to the hotel with him. Never understood why.

BMED LHR
31st Aug 2006, 20:17
Biggles - Thats why we have handcuffs and restraining straps my dear! Theres nothing better than watching some idiot being carted off by the police, so its not our problem at all, its our entertainment :D .

And BMED - t'is a chat forum, thats what we're doing here, chatting my lovley... its called a conversation. Mwa Mwa x.:ok:

Lol ..Yeah you right :oh: , Sorry was little out of order !!

gib
6th Sep 2006, 12:49
ok im wrong about wich airline. i was led to beleve it was singapore however i was wrong, my mistake:*

reguardes ryanair and mobiles is this the same airline wich is going to sue the government for the security checks when a real threat was found. im getting the ferry to ireland coz if thay are that worried about otd then will thay use untrained crew to shorten the traning???!!!

doffs cap exits quietly

winging_it
13th Sep 2006, 09:32
A mobile phone causes a B747 to crash!! yeah right, know the full story first pls!!
And remember when flying low cost, you get low standard on most but not all.
:=

CHIVILCOY
13th Sep 2006, 10:15
I've accidentally left my mobile phone on inflight lots of times as have countless others no doubt on any given flight without any problems.
I of course go by the rules and would never dream of using it but in this case I would have been sorely tempted to just because of the FA's attitude.
What intrigues me more is that she didn't know about the hour's delay.:confused:

riya_nea
13th Sep 2006, 13:10
i really appreciate the FA, she had done a good job...

13th Sep 2006, 13:31
From a CAA flight safety circular, issued to all "G" registered helicopter operators.
On the 29th April 2004, a Super Puma L2 (helicopter) was returning from offshore. As it was on the approach to it’s destination airport, a passenger used his mobile ‘phone. This resulted in the loss of all flight and navigation information on both pilot’s Integrated Flight Display System screens lasting one second during this critical phase of flight.
The UK Civil Aviation Authority carried out tests on two parked aircraft to find out the potential dangers of mobile ‘phone use. It found evidence that they produced interference levels which could disrupt aircraft systems. Faults attributed to mobile ‘phones include false cockpit warnings, malfunctioning of aircraft systems, interference in pilot’s headsets – all distracting the crew from their primary task.

beana
13th Sep 2006, 14:49
Thanks for all your comments guys, its been a while now since this happened. After reading through this whole thread and thinking back to when it happened, i feel -what with the aircraft doors wide open, engines off and an hour wait ahead of us -as told by the Captain for ALL to hear- and not one mention to switch phones off, the FA was having a bad day (WE ALL GET THEM) and jumped at the chance to berate someone. Sending a quick text would not have put anybody in danger!!

FLYING_HOSTIE
14th Sep 2006, 08:54
Sorry guys but unless your Crew you really have no say in the matter.
If we say to do something on a flight wether the doors are open, closed, were in the air or whatever, we are just doing our jobs! Please respect that and do as we ask.

We have had intense training and however much evidence you find to the contrary we are asking you to switch your mobile off, put your seatbelt on, open the window blinds etc for a reason. And believe it or not the reason is not to just annoy you!

As stupid as these things sound we do not make up the rules, the CAA/FAA do, and the airlines may have their own variations! And until these rules change Im affraid its tough :mad: .

FD Floozy 12
14th Sep 2006, 11:56
Sorry guys but unless your Crew you really have no say in the matter.
If we say to do something on a flight wether the doors are open, closed, were in the air or whatever, we are just doing our jobs! Please respect that and do as we ask.

We have had intense training and however much evidence you find to the contrary we are asking you to switch your mobile off, put your seatbelt on, open the window blinds etc for a reason. And believe it or not the reason is not to just annoy you!

As stupid as these things sound we do not make up the rules, the CAA/FAA do, and the airlines may have their own variations! And until these rules change Im affraid its tough :mad: .

And did your intense training not teach you to handle other human beings respectfully? :hmm:

gib
14th Sep 2006, 12:00
let me outline the rules as in the ANO (no verbatim but in outline)

The capitain has the power of law on board

this power is delegated down thru the crew

as a pasenger you are legaly obliged to obay any instructions from the crew

so wether you agree or not is besides the point if the crew tell you to switch it off please just do it.:ok:

FLYING_HOSTIE
14th Sep 2006, 12:14
And did your intense training not teach you to handle other human beings respectfully? :hmm:

FD - Floozy : where in my post did it say I didnt treat human beings respectfully??????!! Read the post before trying to get all high and mighty, because you end up looking stupid.

Respect would be accepting the laws and doing as we ask, not arguing the fact..

beana
14th Sep 2006, 13:07
Hi
Just to clarify things, i DID switch my phone off when the FA told me, even though she did speak to me like trash, which is totally unprofessional and unnecessary:= - but i rose above it:)

I have no argument with following an FA's instruction. (Even though nobody else on their phones were told to switch off) And i know rules are there for a reason which is why i didnt cause a fuss.
I just wanted to know what problems a text message would have caused.
Was just curious.. you know- just out of interest - why is that rule in place? I felt uncomfortable asking the FA as she was not particularly approachable..

But anyway - loads of you have answered my question, technical interference. So now i know- Ta very much!

It was odd though, that even after the Captain announced a 1 hour delay, the FA insisted we were 'about to take off'.. nevermind, no harm done.

:ok:

FD Floozy 12
14th Sep 2006, 23:45
FD - Floozy : where in my post did it say I didnt treat human beings respectfully??????!! Read the post before trying to get all high and mighty, because you end up looking stupid.

Respect would be accepting the laws and doing as we ask, not arguing the fact..

Not trying to be high and mighty......look at your own post!!!!!! If you'd read this thread properly from the beginning, and understood it, you'd get where I was coming from.

Always_broken_in_wilts
15th Sep 2006, 00:26
Having read thru from start to finish I am left wondering if Flying_Hostie is actually the FA that Beana is referring to:rolleyes:

It strikes me that in the circumstances Beana mentions, and you don't need the brains of a rocket scientist to reach this conclusion, the FA should have asked him to stop using his phone until she had picked up her "phone" and asked the Captain, in light of the open doors, engines not running and an already announced 1 hour delay if it was OK for the Pax to use their phones to let folks know of their situation. If the Captain says NO then he's the bad guy, the FA looks as if he/she has tried their best and and all is love and kisses in the cabin.

No brainer really:rolleyes:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

FLYING_HOSTIE
15th Sep 2006, 08:03
How many of you actually are Cabin Crew? Because its only ever the people who dont understand that want to complain, and if your not crew then why are you on this website?..

If a policeman had asked you then would this have been such a big deal?

I seem to recall that all airlines do make a PA saying that Mobile phones are not to be used.

Im very sorry if you were spoken to like you were stupid Beana :-s , But maybe you were the 5th person in a row the CC had to tell to switch off thier phone and you were unaware of the others who were asked aswell so felt like you were being victimised.

FD- Floozy, if you read YOUR post my dear, the word "you" reffers to someone personally, if you had meant Cabin Crew being trained to treat people with respect then maybe you should have used the correct wording!

As 419 has already stated :
The UK Civil Aviation Authority carried out tests on two parked aircraft to find out the potential dangers of mobile ‘phone use. It found evidence that they produced interference levels which could disrupt aircraft systems. Faults attributed to mobile ‘phones include false cockpit warnings, malfunctioning of aircraft systems, interference in pilot’s headsets – all distracting the crew from their primary task.

So FD Floozy - I have no problem with you using your phone, so much so that if we have an emergency and you want to finish that text you started, I'd gladley leave you behind to finish it! :ok:

beana
15th Sep 2006, 08:48
:eek: ARRGHHHH!! I was only asking a question!! Was not complaining atall, was not arguing, was not disrespecting cabin crews- i love them!! Tis my chosen career eventually...
Was just curious about the rule, didnt disobey it!!:ugh:

And yes, even if the law had asked me with the same horrid attitude, i would still have been curious... and hoped his day got better!!

Honestly, its not such a big deal to me, i just thought i'd ask my question and add my story to go with it...
My gosh i didnt mean to get people sniping at eachother!

Thanks for all your theories, now i know ;)

FD Floozy 12
15th Sep 2006, 09:03
So FD Floozy - I have no problem with you using your phone, so much so that if we have an emergency and you want to finish that text you started, I'd gladley leave you behind to finish it! :ok:[/quote]

Flying Hostie......If you'd read my original post you'd see I agree that crew must enforce their airline's regulations. My point was simply that crew should also be polite, and it sounds like the FA dealing with Beana wasn't. What harm would a 10 second explanation to Beana of why she should have her phone off have done? I fly as single crew, and therefore my attitude very much sets the tone on my flights.......:p

MNBluestater
16th Sep 2006, 07:01

Other situations: There were many times on climbout when the seat belt sign was on and someone got up to use the lav because they were about to burst , and I let them, but politely asked them to use caution... I could never understand why flight attendants learn the rules and then run around like little dictators with their "power." Rules can be bent now and then, certainly the flight attendant could have called the cockpit and asked...

MNBluestater
16th Sep 2006, 07:06
Thanks for all your comments guys, its been a while now since this happened. After reading through this whole thread and thinking back to when it happened, i feel -what with the aircraft doors wide open, engines off and an hour wait ahead of us -as told by the Captain for ALL to hear- and not one mention to switch phones off, the FA was having a bad day (WE ALL GET THEM) and jumped at the chance to berate someone. Sending a quick text would not have put anybody in danger!!

You may have gotten another answer. I know that puts the burden on you and airlines should be consistent in their procedure, but some cc act like tyrants and some are human...

whateva
17th Sep 2006, 04:29
I have been in this situation many times, due to fog, air trafic, weather, runway closers, medical assistance and the list goes on. The amount of time given by the Cptn is only a estimate, it is possible to leave earlier in which case it takes time to get passengers to do what is asked. also for a delay of an hour there may be the need to refuel the aircraft as it was not taken into consideration in the flight plan. During the refuling stage it is purely a safety thing. I understand the frustration by you the passengers, but remember we as crew are also to abide by these rules. we dont get there any faster than you! Its very frustraiting when passengers simply decide to do things on their own. There is another good reason, during "non standard" situations passengers call local radio stations who get on to the media and blow the situation way out of control. this has happened to me once before, and it wasn't a plesant experience with news cameras watching our every move during the ordeal.

beana
18th Sep 2006, 10:34
Cheers people, wow this is sucha hot topic-probably due to my story behind it, i should have just asked the question alone-'Why the rule'?!

Cant believe people would think to call radio stations etc.. :uhoh:

I totally understand the need to have the cabin ready incase of a sudden earlier slot becoming available.. it all makes sense now, cheers x
___________________________:ok: _______________________________