PDA

View Full Version : Aero/vk/arik Nigeria

jagunmolu
23rd Aug 2006, 11:56
Gentlemen,I once predicted that pilots availability will depend on what takes him home vis a vis the current salary/welfare structures in place.Have you all heard that AERO has finally moved in on its supposed competition salaries are not only in dollars but have crossed the 10,000usd mark for captains this is so because they not only want more pilots they have to keep what they have.ARIK is presently at the bottom of this rung no wonder they have become the last chice in the industry,Methinks that considering the amount that is currently been spent on infrastructure and new airplanes,enough i mean a lot still has to be spent on the crew that need to maintain thier standards anyway all roads lead to AERO,VK is constantly reviewing its emoluments and welfare packages which is a good sign however the pace has been set so lets see how the fight will go..........:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :ok:

18left
24th Aug 2006, 18:44
10k dollars
hmmmm
i seriously doubt this figure and am sure if accurate the whole airport will be in aeros human resources dept

dejidip
18th Sep 2006, 18:37
This sounds vlike fiction 2 me.I know this is a rumour network but but this is going 2 far anyway concerning ARIK they will get what they deserve i remember someone said recently IF U PAY PEANUTS YOU,LL END UP WITH MONKEYS. I hope it wont get to that,why do start ups always start with some discriminatory tendencies i hear if you want to get well paid in A..K you may need to apply from wherever but not naija to get very juicy pay.11tons usd to be exact na wa o.Hope is not lost, we are watching and we shall not change our NATIONALITY 4 Bread...:mad: :ok: :{

dejidip
18th Sep 2006, 18:42
This sounds very much like fiction 2 me.I know this is a rumour network but this is going 2 far anyway concerning ARIK they will get what they deserve i remember someone said recently IF U PAY PEANUTS YOU,LL END UP WITH MONKEYS. I hope it wont get to that,why do start ups always start with some discriminatory tendencies i hear if you want to get well paid in A..K you may need to apply from wherever but not naija to get very juicy pay.11tons usd to be exact na wa o.Hope is not lost, we are watching and we shall not change our dermis and NATIONALITY 4 Bread...:mad: :ok: :{

oba_idan_amani
18th Sep 2006, 20:21
I heard F/Os now take close to $5K a month after tax in Aero. I heard its about the same in Bellview and that the pay has just been jacked up. Heard its about N420,000 ($3K) in VK after tax is. I also heard everything is taxed in VK, heard the pilots are even taxed for taking a leak :}. About N320,000 ($2.3K) in Arik for the CRJ drivers. Different pay scale exist for the B733, N420,000 ($3k), but the tax is much better.
Arik I believe are offering $10K for captains and $6K for F/O for the B733 drivers (non Nigerians that is. I guess they fly it better than Nigerians). They will also provide accomadations for non Nigerians, for more information check and contact www.avionco.com (http://www.avionco.com)
The ARIK pilot are assessed by GECAT (UK), the same company that did VK pilots assessments. I dont think VK pilots are monkeys, so Arik pilots shouldn't be.

Oba Idan Amani

biggie
18th Sep 2006, 20:43
i spoke to a guy in spain,i guess he is one of the guys coming to fly for arik as a captain,they offered him $11tons and accomodation and also 2 months on,one month off.Can u image that,while the naija captains are on $4500 a month,and one month off in a year....... na wa o.i think all roads leads to AERO.:ok:

18left
20th Sep 2006, 04:52
I heard F/Os now take close to $5K a month after tax in Aero. I heard its about the same in Bellview and that the pay has just been jacked up. Heard its about N420,000 ($3K) in VK after tax is. I also heard everything is taxed in VK, heard the pilots are even taxed for taking a leak :}.
Oba Idan Amani
I CAN AUTHORITATIVELY SAY YOUR FIGURES ARE VERY WRONG,FOR AERO AND VK AND BLUETAIL YOUR SOURCES ARE NOT TELLING YOU THE TRUTH, TELL THEM TO BRING THIER BANK STATEMENTS VK IS HIGHER AERO IS LOWER AND BLUETAIL IS LOWER THAN FIGURES QUOTED

dejidip
21st Sep 2006, 20:01
You need to get into this outfits to know the real truth about welfare packages et al,guys are never really forthcoming with the truth,these coys are all still recruiting; take the plunge and enjoy the benefits therein,Bread;- Is good consideration but not everything;its definitely a good starting point u might also try buying some skin toning creams,you can neva tell it might increase your prospects of more Bread:D :O :O:D

oba_idan_amani
22nd Sep 2006, 07:34
18left,
If you can "AUTHORITATIVELY SAY YOUR FIGURES ARE VERY WRONG", why not quote the actual figures ? :confused:

Oba Idan Amani

18left
23rd Sep 2006, 15:11
chachangi roughly $7000 b/4 tax for captains
vk/aero/bluetail roughly $6000-$6500 b/4tax for captains
bristow/mobil roughly $8000-$8500 b/4 tax for captains
arik is offering about $3000 for f/o's
figures may vary dependent on seniority/hours flown/fleet e.t.c

f/o's are noramally 60-70% of captains

dejidip
26th Sep 2006, 08:19
So much about dough,why is it no one is hustling to CHACHANGI.According to the last post it should be an airline of choice,GUYS,its all about perception , selfworth,and prospects where do you see yourself in 3yrs.DONT GET ME WRONG.Its the total package that tells the whole story:confused:

Rani
26th Sep 2006, 08:41
I would bet that in 3 years, the chances of Chanchangi still being around are very slim. IMO VK, Arik, Bellview, Aero, and maybe ADC have better prospects as an employer. Chanchangi is still a tokunbo carrier showing no signs of evolving.

dejidip
26th Sep 2006, 08:52
Is that not rather harsh a statement to make about CHACHANGI methinks a glorified AGBERO TRAVEL AGENCY is more appropriate.No offence :{ :{

jagunmolu
26th Sep 2006, 11:12
We all have friends that work for this outfit and would not find it funny if they find out that thier esteemed airline is being refered to as TOKUNBO TRAVEL AGENCIES.As long as the TOKUNBO aeroplanes are in good condition i dont think they should worry however their mgt i understand is not really different from the trailer consortium the so called investor also owns,The company is basically a holding company for JATAIRLINES a Yugoslav concern using Naijas to further thier nest and provide jobs for their likes=STILL TOKUNBO-Ibeg to agree oopppps:uhoh: :uhoh:

biggie
27th Sep 2006, 23:53
i really dont think vk crew will leave for arik, its the other way around, ariks pay is ****..............i know for a fact that arik will be a training ground for pilots,mostly on the 737-3, the guys will leave for vk or aero.dont blame the guys.all road leads to aero for now.:ok:

mgustavson2
7th Sep 2007, 18:26
Avionco is a rip off. they still owe me over $5000 USD. Other Pilots in Lagos were also ripped off. They do not put you up at the Sheraton Lagos...You do not want to stay anywhere else! Too dangerous! I had to jump seat home.
They are slow to pay if they do pay, and the promised ticket home for holiday/leave periods are either slow coming or do not appear at all. Please call or email if you have any questions.
The Nigerian pilots will reluctantly let you fly right seat after they check your qualifications and haze you for a month. Hey, my fellow Americans, how about we lobby our government to prevent foreign pilots from working in the U.S.?
Or, we could hassle them like the Saudis and Nigerians, after they invite you there.:mad:. Maybe we could train only Americans at our flight training facilities. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

jagunmolu
8th Sep 2007, 09:49
HMN HMN HMN, THE BEAT GOES ON ,DOES THIS SITUATION STILL EXIST,I DONT WANT TO BELIEVE SO HMN HMN HMN:confused: LEST I SAY MORE.:sad:

harriewillem
8th Sep 2007, 09:55
:ugh::ugh:

Guys,

What I know:

VK --> their 767's (Lithuanian) and F50 (Dutch) are leased incl. crew, so they dont pay those crew.

Arik--> same story on the F50 and Dash8 (both Dutch) so tey dont pay those crew also.

Most Nigerian airlines are starting to work with contractors (avianco, brookfield etc.) And they don't pay that kind of amounts.

But please think if they realy would pay 10.000 US DOLLAR á month.. Hell everybody was willing to fly...

I think it just remours and that when your 10 years with oneof those airlines working 24/7 then you would make 10.000.

LongJohnThomas
13th Sep 2007, 10:47
mgustavson2,
You know, it's statements like yours that provoke a riot?:ugh:
I take it that you want to take the national role of "we americans", eh?
Well, here's some news. If you stopped evreyone, like you're already doing, from entering the United States, i bet you lot would be broke and a third world nation in ten years tops!:rolleyes:
You guys enjoy stirring up trouble, don't you? You're in Iraq looking for oil in the name of ICBM's, killing innocent kids, mothers, uncles, cousins etc.
Your country is broke as hell! Bill Clinton tried to bring you guys out, but NO! He's playing with chicks, impeach him! That was more important. You take one day forward and ten years back.:D
Keep your Flying to yourselves! Simulators and airplanes must be sold. Boeing dies, and there goes your economy. We'll have to give you aid eventually!
Currently, Boeing is singing Nigeria's praises cos they're getting the much needed business from it.
By the way, what the hell were you doing all the way out there in AFRICA? Long way from home i presume? I'm sure you don't see Nigerian pilot's in the U.S. looking for work, do you?:=
Lock your doors mate! You'll open them yourselves eventually, just to eat!
Cheers.:ok:

harriewillem
13th Sep 2007, 14:24
LJT,

Normally I agree on your statements, I as non-Nigerian, but this time you react a bit over the top!

Nigeria needs expats... sorry but you need to agree on that!

But the expats need to no that Nigeria can do without them... that's the differnce..

Expats who want to come are welcome, if you don't want to come, dont do it... and if you want to leave ---> leave...

Cheers..

Flying Touareg
13th Sep 2007, 14:53
Harrie, i support LJT. Maybe you should try to re read mgustavson2 post which i partly quote:

Hey, my fellow Americans, how about we lobby our government to prevent foreign pilots from working in the U.S.?
Or, we could hassle them like the Saudis and Nigerians, after they invite you there.:mad:. Maybe we could train only Americans at our flight training facilities. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Now that was really over the top.

LongJohnThomas
13th Sep 2007, 19:33
harriewillem,
I agree with you completely.:D
FT, nice one there mate!:D
:ok:

chileno 777
13th Sep 2007, 19:38
have found the following on the internet: http://www.pilotcareercentre.com/UpdateDetail.asp?UpdateID=2194

PCC AVNEWS CLIP: 9/12/2007

Arik Air announces new B737, 777, and 787 orders
Arik Air Expands Fleet with Boeing 787s, 737s and Additional 777-300ER

Wednesday September 12, 1:08 pm ET

- Nigerian carrier latest African airline to opt for Boeing airplanes for fleet growth

SEATTLE, Sept. 12 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Boeing and Arik Air, Nigeria's newest commercial carrier, today announced an order for 10 Next-Generation 737-800s, four 787-9s and one 777-300ER (Extended Range). The order is valued at approximately $1.8 billion at list prices.
ADVERTISEMENT

The 777-300ER was previously booked as unidentified on Boeing's Orders & Deliveries website. Arik's 10 737-800s and four 787-9s will be added at the next scheduled website update.

In April, Arik Air took delivery of two 737-700s and announced an order for two 777-200LRs (Longer Range), two 777-300ERs and three 787-9s to initiate the largest and most aggressive fleet modernization program in Nigeria's aviation history.

"This additional order for Boeing jets demonstrates our commitment and a purposeful strategy to establish world-class commercial aviation service in Nigeria," said Arik's Managing Director Mike McTighe. "Our selection of a mix of Boeing products to serve our customers regionally and internationally is founded on thorough analysis to conduct the most economic and profitable operations, while providing unmatched comfort and safety for our passengers."

Arik Air is the second African airline to select both the 787 and 777 families of twin-aisle jetliners. The airplanes' design and operational commonality allows airlines more choices and less risk in structuring the most economic, efficient and profitable route planning. Boeing is also working with the airline to help Nigeria achieve U.S. FAA Category 1 status, which would allow Arik Air to fly directly to and from the U.S.

"Arik truly understands the dynamics of airplane economics and fleet planning," said Lee Monson, Boeing Commercial Airplanes vice president of Sales for the Middle East and Africa. "With a modern, mixed fleet of Boeing jets, the airline will serve its customers well and enhance its capability for growth and success that contributes directly to Nigeria's economic development."
Arik Air is Nigeria's fastest-growing privately owned airline and serves over 11 domestic routes with a fleet of 16 airplanes. The airline also is playing a pivotal role in the improvement of Nigeria's aviation infrastructure.

Rgds.

LongJohnThomas
13th Sep 2007, 19:59
http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2007/q3/070912c_nr.html

Arik Air Expands Fleet with Boeing 787s, 737s and additional 777-300ER
Nigerian carrier latest African airline to opt for Boeing airplanes for fleet growth

Click image to view Photo Release.
These images are available for editorial use by news media on: boeingmedia.com
SEATTLE, Sept. 12, 2007 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] and Arik Air, Nigeria's newest commercial carrier, today announced an order for 10 Next-Generation 737-800s, four 787-9s and one 777-300ER (Extended Range). The order is valued at approximately $1.8 billion at list prices.

The 777-300ER was previously booked as unidentified on Boeing's Orders & Deliveries website. Arik's 10 737-800s and four 787-9s will be added at the next scheduled website update.

In April, Arik Air took delivery of two 737-700s and announced an order for two 777-200LRs (Longer Range), two 777-300ERs and three 787-9s to initiate the largest and most aggressive fleet modernization program in Nigeria's aviation history.

"This additional order for Boeing jets demonstrates our commitment and a purposeful strategy to establish world-class commercial aviation service in Nigeria," said Arik's Managing Director Mike McTighe. "Our selection of a mix of Boeing products to serve our customers regionally and internationally is founded on thorough analysis to conduct the most economic and profitable operations, while providing unmatched comfort and safety for our passengers."

Arik Air is the second African airline to select both the 787 and 777 families of twin-aisle jetliners. The airplanes' design and operational commonality allows airlines more choices and less risk in structuring the most economic, efficient and profitable route planning. Boeing is also working with the airline to help Nigeria achieve U.S. FAA Category 1 status, which would allow Arik Air to fly directly to and from the U.S.

"Arik truly understands the dynamics of airplane economics and fleet planning," said Lee Monson, Boeing Commercial Airplanes vice president of Sales for the Middle East and Africa. "With a modern, mixed fleet of Boeing jets, the airline will serve its customers well and enhance its capability for growth and success that contributes directly to Nigeria's economic development."

Arik Air is Nigeria's fastest-growing privately owned airline and serves over 11 domestic routes with a fleet of 16 airplanes. The airline also is playing a pivotal role in the improvement of Nigeria's aviation infrastructure.

Additional Information:
The 737-800 is the most popular member of the Next-Generation 737 family, with more than 2,300 airplanes ordered. The 737-800's market success is confirmed by air finance investors, who consistently rank it as the most preferred airplane due to its wide market base, superior performance efficiency and lowest operating costs in its class.

The 777 family of airplanes is popular with passengers and airlines because of its fuel-efficient twin-engine design, high reliability, low operating costs, and comfortable and spacious interior. The 777-300ER is the world's largest long-range twin-engine jetliner capable of carrying 365 passengers up to 7,930 nautical miles (14,685 kilometers). With its twin-engine efficiency, the 777-300ER reduces fuel consumption by more than 20 percent per seat compared to its closest competitor, therefore reducing CO2 emissions by more than 20 percent. To date, Boeing has won 1,004 orders for the 777 from 52 customers worldwide.

The Boeing 787 Dreamliner, scheduled for delivery beginning in 2008, provides passengers with a better flying experience and operators with a more efficient commercial jetliner. Using 20 percent less fuel per passenger than similarly sized airplanes, the 787 is designed for the environment with lower emissions and quieter takeoffs and landings. Inside the airplane, passengers will find cleaner air, bigger windows, more stowage space and improved lighting. Forty-eight airlines have logged 710 orders since the 787 launch in April 2004, making the Dreamliner the most successful commercial airplane launch in history.

###
Contact Info:

Brian Walker
Boeing Commercial Airplanes
Middle East & Africa Communications
206-766-2929
Vicki Ray
737 Program
Communications
425-965-9382
Adam Morgan
787 Program
Communications
425-294-6103
Chuck Cadena
777 Program
Communications
425-294-6105
Site Terms | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Copyright
Copyright 1995 - 2006 Boeing. All Rights Reserved.

ZAZOO
14th Sep 2007, 10:22
Looks like we moving on up in Nigeria :cool: Why not... About time o jare;)

Zaz
Geneva

chuks
14th Sep 2007, 11:04
I was privileged to witness the rise and fall of Nigeria Airways, upgrading to the Hairbrush 310 from the no-good Boeing 737 and Fokker F-28. We all know how that story ended!

Is it not so that the basic problem is that the Nigerian market simply cannot support very many airlines using new equipment? Yours is, sorry to say, basically a poor, Third-World country. Full of big talk, yes, but, "Fine words butter no parsnips." Just where is the Return on Investment going to come from to pay for $1.8 billion worth of new aircraft? Come to that, just where did the money come from in the first place? A shoe-box under the Chairman's bed; I see....

I was just watching the news this morning. "Boeing advises that some of the orders for new aircraft from small airlines may not result in deliveries." (BBC News of the World.) I wonder what they meant by that?

HavingSaidThat
14th Sep 2007, 14:15
a purposeful strategy to establish world-class commercial aviation service in Nigeria," said Arik's Managing Director Mike McTighe.

For McTighe to achieve that he should be concerned about how to get all the pilots he needs for such an operation. They have been able to scrape together a handful of flyers for their 73 fleet, so far. Hardly any, according to the rumours, on the CRJ. As a matter of fact, their CRJ contract pilots are sliding out the back door faster than they can fill up what they need.

I read adverts online saying something about an attractive rotation plan of 8 weeks on duty followed by 4 weeks off duty. That's not attractive in todays market. Another advert mentioned Excellent accommodation (including free meals). Add a salary below what you can get elsewhere and you can all see that McTighe will have to ask the top man for permission to lift his package drastically.

I do agree with the one saying something about a modern fleet. But you can not have a modern fleet parked on the tarmac without sending them flying. That must be bad for the income side of Arik Air. Chuks made an interesting comment in his last post: Just where is the Return on Investment going to come from to pay for $1.8 billion worth of new aircraft? Come to that, just where did the money come from in the first place? A shoe-box under the Chairman's bed; I see....
. Everything around Arik Air do not sound right, and it does not taste too good either.

LongJohnThomas
14th Sep 2007, 15:46
HST,
Well said!!! I agree without any compulsion for argument.:D
Cheers.:ok:

ZAZOO
16th Sep 2007, 13:21
Good point about finding crew, but then that does not affect only Arik Air. The likes of VirginNigeria Aero etc, I must say will be affected by the lack of crew also.

On the other hand we do have a good number of lads either completing their training or undergoing training as we speak. As a matter of fact, records show that for the first time in the history of aviation training here in Nigeria a record number of Nigerian pilots are undergoing training in Major establishments in the UK, USA and RSA.

Whats so exciting too about them is that the majority of them are self sponsored and are quite excited about a career back home in Nigeria.

I know five of them including a young lady who have just completed their travel arrangements and are about to leave for RSA to start training the young lady already has a ppl and is returning to complete the ab initio course.

I believe that between now and december 2008 Nigeria will be able to complement her local carriers with a good number of Nigerian pilots who will be readily available for employment.

Also the recent interest shown by pilots from south america in Nigeria is also a welcome developement, they are quite a few around now from Peru and Argentina flying with the local carriers and are an excellent bunch of guys with tons of experience.

So even saying things like being basically a poor, Third-World country. Full of big talk, yes, but, "Fine words butter no parsnips." might just be too far fetched right now, the fact is our aviation industry is growing and rapidly too and will require a good number of trained professionals and we must be able to encourage the new guys coming in by assimilating them and providing the resources and infrastructure they require to become highly proficient pilots, engineers and the likes.

I must also add that its quite encouraging to see that a good number of our local airlines are picking up these youngsters and doing their type ratings, advanced training etc... as they return home, this is good and should be applauded, I wish I had found that when I returned back home in 1995 fresh from training :{

Lets all be enthusiastic about this sudden and breathtaking surge in our industry and embrace it with open arms and encourage each other.

Let me also add that I also witnessed the rise and fall of Nigeria Airways, but let me categoricaly state that this is not the same scenario or playing ground as it was then, during the times of Airways, believe me, and I thank God for that too.

With the fresh bloods been introduced into the industry and the help of right thinking people in the industry both local and foreign will be able to manage it.

I'll just end now by paying tribute to a young Nigerian pilot and his instructor at the 43 Air School in RSA who sadly lost their lives when their helicopter crashed during a final preparation flight for his HCPL checkride in RSA. Olumide Omojeni was 26yrs old.

HavingSaidThat
16th Sep 2007, 15:43
ZAZOO,

I agree with you all the way when you talk about the young pilots trying to get afoot hold in this business. But what I tried to focus on in my last post was the need for experienced pilots ready to take command and lead the pack in an expansion like the one Arik is facing. Those pilots are not going to surface unless the Arik top two persones come to terms with the fact that international aviation can offer better terms these days than they are willing to. Fancy new 737-700, 800 and 777s will in itself be attractive, but not for any cost.

Ok, so you will see some guys and girls sliding over from other carriers in Nigeria in order to get away from the older tyupes of aircrafts. But by far enough to cover the expansion in the next 2-3 years. And if too many leave VN and Aero, these carriers will face the same problem as Arik. What it boils down to is willingness and the ability to face the reality. Otherwise, I am afraid the Arik Chairman will run out of funds at some stage.

It's pretty amaing how history repeats itself. This time through Arik Air. Buying/leasing aircrafts and opening up new routes without having enough staff to care of business :ouch:

BALEWA
17th Sep 2007, 00:07
"Those pilots are not going to surface unless the Arik top two persones come to terms with the fact that international aviation can offer better terms these days than they are willing to. Fancy new 737-700, 800 and 777s will in itself be attractive, but not for any cost."

I believe Zazoo understood your post HavingSaidThat, but if I may, I would like to contribute my own thoughts here.

Nigeria has experienced pilots ready to take command and lead the pack in the current growth and expansion we are experiencing right now. Locally we can source out these pilots. They are here, VirginNigeria and Aero are definetly on course when it comes to that and are looking into the future as regards the current growth and expansion here in Nigeria.

Agreed there are companies with better packages out there, but 90% of the lads working in Nigeria are not interested in working outside Nigeria. The fact is they do not have the right to work in those countries I believe you are referring to as having better packages.

Secondly even if they hsd the right to work in those so called countries the packages offered here in Lagos in comparison to leaving in a foreign land away from family and friends is just fine for our nationals here with regards to the standard of living in our beloved Nigeria, actualy its a good deal.

Those planes will fly with or without foreign crew, Bellviw airlines B767 are crewed and captained by fine Nigerian pilots flying under Nigerian Packages and so far they have done a fine job. There are many many more men and women out there who are highly experienced pilots and ready to take command and lead the pack in Nigeria, check out the town (Lagos) and see the lads who are returning from DAS AIR, Saudi etc... :D

Also with regards to all this talk concerning help from experienced foreign crew to make things work in our industry, well, I personaly consider my Ghanaian, Guinean, Togolese and South African colleagues as foreign and very welcomed to fly here too.

B

Flying Touareg
17th Sep 2007, 00:36
Balewa, i guess there is no where like home, our dear Nigeria.:D

Anybody come across Rani and Surely Not?:confused:

surely not
17th Sep 2007, 07:00
Hi FT, not sure what your question re has anyone come across me is about? There are a few people on here who can vouch for the reality of my existence :}

I am currently working in the Middle East, but would welcome the chance to return to Nigeria if the right opporunity arose.

ZAZOO
17th Sep 2007, 13:40
Regarding flightcrew, I know we can handle it, we have a good number of professional, experienced and right thinking Nigerian Pilots around now.

And also with the interest currently shown by our West African colleagues who have always been part of our industry it will not be a problem. With good effort I believe it can be done.

Thanks for the B767 compliment Balewa and by the way, Bellview just completed the line training of another Nigerian Captain and F/O on the B767 after their training at American Airlines in Dallas, both have been released and are flying online today. Both flew the B737 before upgrade. Fine colleagues of mine too and happy for them. :D

Bonjour Sn, how now. ;)

Zaz

Rani
17th Sep 2007, 21:02
How heartening to ask about me FT :)
You'd be glad to know that im still lurking around - albeit as observer, due to major commitments in academia and the workplace.
How are things with you, are you in Kano?

NaijaNinja
18th Sep 2007, 02:24
Right, you lot can moan about the good things that Mr Johnson is trying to slowly put in place, we can't be classified as humans if we don't moan. You know what we will be? Aliens as the yanks call foreigners! Which leads me to a Yank who decided to commit Pprune Suicide on 7th September 2007 at exactly 19:26. Well that was the time the Pprune doctors noted for his time of attempted suicide!

Letter to the suicidal Mr mgustavson2:

Hey Mister mgustavson2,

So sorry to have read your suicidal comments on Pprune. It must have been hard getting chucked out of Naija and with no job from Uncle Sam, so you thought you will bash the land of the Green and White and Green!

Don't even go there because you will be opening up a gigantic CAN OF WORMS about your imperialist and protectionist United States of America.

One thing you Americans don't realise is that there are too many qualified US pilots for too little available jobs in the US. So you tell me, how many foreigners (or Aliens as you guys refer to other Human Beings) get to sniff the smell of an airliner seat on a US carrier's fleet?

Answer that question with aplomb and I will acclaim you to know what you are moaning about, OTHERWISE, go to Arizona and get some sunburn! You don't need to go to Lagos for it.

Bear in mind that I am not defending ArikAir but the image of you using ArikAir to define Nigeria, we don't want to hear that at all, mister! You must have seen a big FISH in Lagos for you to have ventured onto that green land! Don't be a Yankee cat who lost his fish and started crying miaow, miaow!

Earnestly awaiting your interesting response to all of us!

NaijaNinja doesn't let anyone bite the Nigerian Pizza and then throw it back on the plate, no way Mr mgustavson2! You try it, i will show you some Ninja style action!

chuks
18th Sep 2007, 07:45
To "bite the pizza and then throw it back on the plate..." Perhaps I need to get out more but that is a new one to me and very appropriate. Well said!

I have no problems with the quality of Nigerian pilots and Nigerians in general. Not that I would let the average Lagosian hold my wallet while I go swimming at Tarkwa Bay, but.... The problems I saw were with the regulators and the operators for the most part and I do NOT think those problems have gone away.

I flew with some very impressive airmen, especially considering the way they could bear up under very hard conditions that could and did cause many expats to freak out and lose their tiny minds. Many of the best Nigerians have left, however and not a few of the rest have "gone west" in various stupidly obvious accidents down to working for some pretty sleazy companies.

Not least, here we have a company, Arik, run by visibly dodgy characters who have conjured up $1.8 billion out of thin air. Please do not think this is a serious operation. Of course Boeing is happy to book the orders and take the deposits but where is the business plan to make all of this work?

HavingSaidThat
18th Sep 2007, 09:16
chucks,

You make a couple of statements that I would like you to elaborate around. Not because I disagree with you, but for the sake of all of us interested in, and following what's going on in Nigeria. Many of us, locals included have a tendency to "not seeing the forest for all the trees". Read: fancy new aircrafts, it must be good. If you're on to something I suggest we all make an effort to see the Arik expansion from a slightly different angle.

but.... The problems I saw were with the regulators and the operators for the most part and I do NOT think those problems have gone away.

Do I read that you see a too close cooperation between the regulators and the operators. Also called politics? Or does your observation go in atotally different direction?

Not least, here we have a company, Arik, run by visibly dodgy characters who have conjured up $1.8 billion out of thin air. Please do not think this is a serious operation.

I am not going to ask you if you ever worked for the outfit. That would only create a lot of posts saying you're trying to get back on the management for one reason or another, when you're probably trying to shed an objective, and different from most on this thread, viewpoint. But "run by visibly dodgy characters" and "do not think this is a serious operation" must have a foothold somewhere. I am looking forward to your next post.

GlobalFlyer
18th Sep 2007, 10:44
I could agree with the above post concerning Arik Air's 'dodgy characters', but I would have to disagree on the alleged lack of seriousness.

If this were so, Arik would not have appointed renowned international consultants to intricately put together a business plan including a route and fleet optimization strategy.

If this is a money laundering scheme, then the owners have done a good job in cleaning the money REAL well because Arik has somehow revolutionized Nigeria's air transport system for the better. It is difficult to imagine the industry with Virgin Nigeria and Aero going at it alone.

Hopefully professional start-ups like Dana Air can provide needed capacity in the event Arik folds following legal proceedings against it.

Cheers

ZAZOO
18th Sep 2007, 12:36
"Not least, here we have a company, Arik, run by visibly dodgy characters who have conjured up $1.8 billion out of thin air."

chuks, thanks for the compliment but tell me Sir, whats your beef with Arik man, why not enlighten us on this whole thing about Arik $1,8 billion and the dodgy characters running the show you keep talking about. Is you got some personal vendetta with Arik, did you loose out on I dunno a contract or pouf ...just let it out:ugh:

Many of us, locals included have a tendency to "not seeing the forest for all the trees".

aw com on HavingSaidThat give it a break will you;) we get your point.

By the way lads just out of interest I felt I should tell you this, I counted not less than 45 Expat pilots from Arik at the Hotel in Opebi yesterday.

alghaita ganga
18th Sep 2007, 12:41
I will not fly Arik, I do not trust them and their check-in is chaos :ugh:

Dodgy characters? Well EFCC thought it so. Allegations of money from dubios sources from Obasanjo, and Odili to mention some. Ask about Arumemi Johnson and the Port Harcourt power genration plant fiasco.

ZAZOO
18th Sep 2007, 12:51
$1.8Billion Dollars splashed out for everyone to see in the papers, folks running the whole shabang known to be doggy characters with Odili and Obasanjo known to be big investors in the airline and the EFCC is busy running around Kalu, Nnamani and co. :rolleyes:

Talk to ya'll later, have to go fly some big iron this morning, wish me luck eh.

NaijaNinja
18th Sep 2007, 12:58
Zazoo, you are Topgun! You will come good with the Chunky Iron!

Come back and give us any funny story you encounter!

chuks
18th Sep 2007, 14:53
is what I read in the newspapers. Will Rogers said that but perhaps he had been thinking of Arik at the time.

I have been away from Nigeria since late 2005 but I do see the odd tid-bit in the news about the place. I noted with interest the usual sort of financial scandal about one of the leading lights in the "new" airline scene, which reminded me not a little bit of the old airline scene I knew and appreciated.

All of you tight young studs blowing off steam about how it is all going to be onward and upwards from here on in, well, all I can say is, "Good luck!" You still have as close to a totally corrupt (Last time I checked Nigeria was third from the bottom in that international survey of corruption - this is not just some bigoted notion of mine.) system ruling your country as makes no difference; do you really believe, somehow, that aviation is going to be squeaky-clean and properly run in that environment?

That many individuals do their level best, well, yes! Not least, you can just have a think about some of the guys who are no longer with us after shaving corners. But as long as Nigeria is long on dodgy funds and short on accountability, aviation there is going to be about like everything else.

What became of the EFCC investigation of your Arik man then? It seems to have stalled. Funny thing, that. And if this so-called airline ever does get off the ground, let us see what becomes of it after just a few years. Want to bet it collapses in a welter of unpaid creditors and seized aircraft, just another flying elephant?

I have moved on, as it happens. I ate all my pizza, paid the bill in full and have gone over to cous-cous for now. Good luck with the developments in your local airline scene but don't lose touch with reality.

BALEWA
18th Sep 2007, 15:04
Thanks very much, got the point chuks and do us a favor will ya.

Do not come back := I know you aint coming back though :D

Alpha Bravo Bravo
18th Sep 2007, 15:39
Chuks et al,

Jobs, yes we have good jobs now as Nigerian Pilots. We have never been this happy, and we will try to make sure it is sustained.That will be our quota towards rebuilding the sector. Whether it will be for a shortwhile, that is left to fate.

Talking about morality on the source of funds, we are not politicians. As long as we are not flying drugs, arms or stolen diamonds,we are ethically doing the right thing by flying the machines. Maybe the Pax should refuse to buy Arik tickets because the money used in buying the planes are alleged to be looted:rolleyes: But hey, the money has been ploughed back into the economy, which is a new development, and not stashed to rot in accounts in Germany, Swiss, London, etc. And the developed world, where Chuks comes from, is no longer happy that their banks have lost 1.8billion USD as deposits, which they will lend out the money eventually to their multinationals, and as a result a continuous exploitation of the third world thrives.

But hey guys, nobody has proven Arik guilty. Go back to the basics, Innocent till proven guilty. Arik as a company is an individual different and SEPARATE from the Arik's Chairman.

Change is fast happening in Nigeria. We are marching towards becoming a large economy,and some people are not happy about it. Scared, yes perhaps, because those that know us, no our potentials.:ok:

HavingSaidThat
18th Sep 2007, 16:45
ABB,

Arik as a company is an individual different and SEPARATE from the Arik's Chairman.

If you're part of Arik, which you're probably not, you should know that Arik as a company is not at all SEPARATE from the Arik's Chairman. Arik is the Chairman.

How much power do you think the management of that airline has? From Managing Director and down. Not much, according to what's being filtered out through doors, windows and gates around the office building. And truly, if you would be the one sitting of top of an investment like we hear and read about, would you not make sure that you are in total control of the happenings? Of course you would. So in that respect you can sort of understand the main man.

The interesting question thou is how these expat managers can endure being "driven over", or deluted from power and made into figures on a piece of paper.

NDB17
18th Sep 2007, 18:29
Fellas,

I have no beef with Arik, but like some commentators here have said, it is not an organization that inspires much confidence.
We cannot separate the Chairman from the company considering his role in the Power Generating fiasco in Rivers State. Also, using alleged "misappropriated" funds to build a company does not create a level playing field with others who are investing legitimate funds.
As an observer, I keep thinking who in his right mind will park aircrafts for months considering the financial implications, particularly for a startup.
Even if the govt was funding the airline, their actions are not the most financially sound and reflects poor management decisions.
You would think with the crew situation, they would slow down and consolidate before launching out. But they seem to be operating on the principle of "Jack of all trades, master of none"

Just my 2cents

chuks
19th Sep 2007, 08:28
Just another of my fans checking in there, I suppose.... You ever see me again at dear old Murtala Muhammed Airport, just pop over and give me your message in person, when I shall be happy to see you again. Otherwise, stop by and see me at my new home, when the mint teas shall be on me.

If you do not like "fair comment," well, sorry for you! Any particular place has its problems, even the ever-so-wonderful US of A. What is under discussion here is a rather strange start-up "airline," Nigerian-style, that seems to be using looted funds and no particular business plan. Does this make life hard for serious, professionally-run local operators such as Aero Contractors? Probably! So in the context of the local airline scene improving I think that Arik is a real step backwards.

I was kept pretty busy in Nigeria during the time of Okada Airlines, once the self-styled "largest airline in Africa." Well, they had 16 clapped-out BAC 1-11s on their roster, and never mind how many were parked as wrecks here and there.

You learned pretty quickly to wait to give your DME distance if you had an Okada anywhere near. If I had said, "DME 18," Okada would give "DME 16" and get cleared Number One for the approach at Abuja. Strange thing then how this faster jet would arrive over the VOR three minutes behind my little Cessna, as if the crew had been lying or something. So one would just say, "Uh, stand by; I'm not picking it up," and wait for Okada to speak first from 10 miles back.

The amazing luck of Nigerians would come into play so that the crummy operating standards shown in this sort of way were usually just an annoyance. But then the fun stopped when it started raining airplanes and rather large numbers of people died.

Right here, right now you are having a bit of emphasis on fleet improvement and actually operating to proper standards. I agree that this must be a good opportunity for many young pilots to finally get the experience they deserve, rather than just being sat in the right seat of a Twin Otter waiting for an upgrade that somehow never came, since the minimums for command always seemed to be just a bit higher than whatever one had.

That said, I sure do remember some rather amazing local pilots, including at least one who must have come out of the NAF with a faked licence, since he really could hardly fly at all and certainly not to his stated level of ability. You sure do have the full range there.

I just get a bit impatient to see comments here that Arik is a good thing overall, when it is really just the old way of doing "business as usual." To go on a course, get a type-rating and some valuable experience, well, yes, go for it! But to think it represents an improvement in the notorious way Nigerians do business is just wishful thinking.

It is rather interesting to work up here in North Africa and mention Nigeria. No one really wants to know about it, like the lunatic auntie locked up in the attic of the west wing of the family mansion. My present company will not even consider bidding on a contract there; the guy in charge told me not to even bother him talking about it. They operate in such beauty spots as Angola and the Sudan but they don't want to know about Nigeria; there is the image of your country for you, I guess. When I mention how long I spent there they just give me THE LOOK.

NaijaNinja
19th Sep 2007, 08:48
Scary Chucky or Chukwuma, which one is it?

Look old sage, you've said some valid things before now but ....... Angola, Sudan.....

Please leave the lunatic Aunty alone and enjoy your cous cous!

If i put you up with my Angolan friends desperate to work in Lagos as recently as last sunday, you will think twice of your barbed comments, NaijaNinja doesn't want to be wound up by people who think they know it all about Naija!

If you continue, then you may not like the idea of cous cous for long!

alghaita ganga
19th Sep 2007, 09:14
There is no doubt that Chuks may have pick some poor compoarison as Angola rated equal 142/163 alongside Nigeria and Sudan rated equal 156. However, the “Corruption traps millions in poverty,” said Transparency International Chair Huguette Labelle. Transparency International also says the vast majority of the people are only victims of corruption. Corruption by a limited number of powerful individuals, and failure of leaders and institutions to control or prevent corruption, does not imply that a country or its people are most corrupt.
However, I will nevr fly an airline like Arik. They are stealing business from legitimate companies and are not recycling money back into the poorest part of economy. This is money which should have been spend on schools, water, hospitals.
Even a prominent Ijaw leader, Chief Edwin Clark claims there are more than 103 cult group in Rivers State and that the leaders, financiers and the patrons of this cult groups are politicians both in government and outside government. He says that some of the financiers were cultists expelled from their universities in their days as students with some being indicted by the State Security Service (SSS) in November 2006. Now who are this politicians?
Here is what the World Economic Forum have to say about Nigeria's economy:
Geneva, Switzerland 27 September 2006 - Despite its tremendous oil wealth and competitive potential, Nigeria this year recorded a very steep fall in its competitiveness, ranking only 101st worldwide, down 18 places from last year in the World Economic Forum’s Global Competitiveness Index (GCI) rankings for2006-07. Moreover, it lost 34 places (falling to rank 112) in the basic requirements sub-index, which highlights the fundamentals for achieving sustained growth, namely strong institutions, adequate infrastructure, a supportive macroeconomic
environment, and good basic health and education. By contrast, the country did better on innovation (52), improving its position vis-à-vis last year by 12 places by raising its rankings for company spending on R&D and university/industry research collaboration. Nigeria has also boosted its technological readiness, especially in the areas of FDI and technology transfer and firm-level technology absorption.
“To boost the country’s growth potential, Nigerian policy-makers must focus on getting the basic priorities right. While most other oil exporters saw their rankings soar for their macroeconomy, Nigeria slipped 35 places as it struggled to contain double-digit inflation and a widening of interest rate spreads, reflecting distortions in the financial system. There are also serious gaps in the quality of its institutions – especially public ones – as the country remains afflicted by perceived graft and security problems, as well as insufficient protection of property rights. As in other developing
countries, infrastructure has not received sufficient policy prioritization and school enrolment rates are very low by international standards. Finally, more needs to be done to reduce trade barriers, to increase competition, improve labour-employer relations and counter the loss of human capital through brain drain,” noted Augusto Lopez-Claros, Chief Economist and Head of the World Economic Forum’s Global Competitiveness Network.

NaijaNinja
19th Sep 2007, 09:30
Correct me if i am wrong but were you not the same guy few months ago who made a big deal about Oil company Audits and airlines in Nigeria?

Moving on.....

Can we please stop condemning people if we don't have a factual basis to do so. You seem to have joined the bandwagon of those who think Arik's money is dirty. Do you have proof of that? I don't want to hear what someone told you, i want your own proof otherwise, don't insinuate that Arumemi Johnson's money is ill-gotten.

Its just like me saying Dick Cheney should build toilets, kitchens and bathrooms in IRAQ using the money that Halliburton made from all the contracts the US government gave to Halliburton since they manufactured the war in Iraq.

Even though the Halliburton story checks out as its so obvious that they have a huge presence in Iraq, do you have anything other than hearsay to prove that Johnson's money is dubious? If you do, tell us, otherwise, stop acting all righteous!

HavingSaidThat
19th Sep 2007, 10:39
Ninja,

I understand that one should not claim that Johnson's money i dubious (your word) or whatever they are, without having proof. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can read, neither chuk nor alghaita ganga have done so. I would love to get an insight in where these billions of USD comes from, how they are routed before they end up on a Boeing or any other bank account. But in the end of the day it's none of my business. Having said that, it will, if the billions are dubious (your word again), be Johnson's, his Board of Director's and his Accountable Manager's
headache.

This quote you made in an answer to chuk:

If you continue, then you may not like the idea of cous cous for long!

What do you mean by that? It sound like a threat to me, but you are better to explain that.

Instead of trying to defend almost everything that's going on in Arik and Nigerian aviation, how about giving us your viewpoint on how brilliant it is to have all these Arik flying machines parked in Lagos. And if you don't mind, round it off with a couple of sentences on why it is difficult for Arik to get the number of pilots they obviously need to fly these machines.

chukc said something like: do not lose track of reality. Probably a good advice to both the Arik top floor and some of the posters on this thread.

And cous cous tastes good :). Right chuk ;)

NaijaNinja
19th Sep 2007, 20:15
First things first, NaijaNinja doesn't do threats! So that wasn't a threat.

That line was meant to imply that if Chuks continues to act like a Naija expert/prophet of doom, the couscous he enjoys where he is now based will not taste that good for long because he will simply rile Nigerians to the point that unnecessary words will fly on this thread!

HST, I suggest you properly read the previous posts by those two you mentioned and you will pick up statements reflecting their belief/wealth-of-knowledge of the source of Arik's funds.

I am not going to join the debate about where the money comes from because i don't have a clue where they come from, what i find unsettling is people making comments without facts except hearsay. Someone played the Devil's advocate within the last 24 hours, saying if it is dodgy/dubious/ill-gotten money, they have laundered it well to a good cause. So this 'stolen money' from the People of Nigeria is being used to serve Nigerians, let's face it, with all Arik's expenses, profit making is a long way off the agenda! If the business packs up, just rebrand it Nigeria Airways or something and use FG funds to operate it like some African airlines run by National Governments.

Concerning the Pilots issue you made a quip about, someone on this thread claimed to have seen in the region of 45 Arik expats in Lagos 2/3 days ago. So maybe there are serious activities going on behind the scenes that we are not all privy to. One thing i do know is that those planes will not have an AOG status forever and i hope they will be operated by a Nigerian firm as opposed to anywhere else.

Finally, I am pleased you mentioned reality. Well, reality works hand-in-hand with facts and a lot of the sceptical comments about Arik are not factual, so think about it and accept reality as what you see, not people's hearsay. Reality is Arik is committed to buying some a/c, reality is we are not privy to their business plans nor the methodology/timeframe involved in these plans.

We should only appreciate what's happening and hope for better things and stop being negative y'all or those of you who derive pleasure in doing so!

HavingSaidThat
20th Sep 2007, 07:45
Ninja,
Concerning the Pilots issue you made a quip about, someone on this thread claimed to have seen in the region of 45 Arik expats in Lagos 2/3 days ago. So maybe there are serious activities going on behind the scenes that we are not all privy to. One thing i do know is that those planes will not have an AOG status forever and i hope they will be operated by a Nigerian firm as opposed to anywhere else.

I cannot say this for sure, but there are no 45 expat pilots in Arik. May be if you add expat managers and expat technical staff you will reach such a number, but I doubt it. These planes do not carry an AOG label. That is a technical term, and I would think you know that. These planes are on ground for the reason we have covered from every side by now, they are not capable of getting the pilots they need :rolleyes: That is a fact. And if they do not get off the ground pretty soon, the income side in Johnson's books will have serious dark red figures. And one sunny morning you will see that some of these flying machines will be operated by other airlines. Reality Ninja, reality ;)

Finally, I am pleased you mentioned reality. Well, reality works hand-in-hand with facts and a lot of the sceptical comments about Arik are not factual, so think about it and accept reality as what you see, not people's hearsay. Reality is Arik is committed to buying some a/c, reality is we are not privy to their business plans nor the methodology/timeframe involved in these plans.

Yes, I did mention reality. And I did it again, because fact is that they are ordering new planes like they are afraid the shop is going to be empty tomorrow, and expanding with new routes before they have pilots to fly the routes they started with. That is fact and reality. Committed to buying some a/c? Matter of definition, is it not. This is "a house build on sand", unfortunately for the employees :{ Businessplan? It looks like part of it is to buy a bunch of aircraft and park them on the tarmac.

chuks
20th Sep 2007, 08:58
My points are pretty simple:

1. The image of Nigeria is so bad that places such as Angola and the Sudan are okay to operate in but Nigeria is a no-go area, at least for this one Swiss operator. That the reality might not be so bad, well, after so many years of mis-management, much of the rest of the world just doesn't want to know. Nigeria = fraud, corruption, violence, danger, etcetera. (I blame colonialism of course and slavery too for this state of affairs.)

2. As I stated, all I know about Arik is what I read in the papers.

Any properly-run airline has finances that are a matter of public record. This is part of the requirements for an AOC, is it not? Here we have one that is the usual Nigerian Black Hole. If you want to cover up that uncomfortable fact with bluster about how I know nothing about Arik's finances, be my guest since that was more or less my point! Too, if you need to point out that I do not know very much about Nigeria, that is really not going to hurt my feelings either. I always felt that I was far ahead of many of my fellow ex-pats by knowing, at least, how little I really knew about your country.

Very often in Nigeria I would hear one particular thing whenever some local had made a complete and utter fool of himself.

That was, "This is my country!" I used to get that, for instance, when I had to point out that my Twin Otter, on the right, had right-of-way over some locally-flown DC-9 on the left after the local crew had been screaming on the Tower frequency about me "cutting them off" by passing 200 metres in front on my way to Link 2 at DNMM. What, the DC-9 crew thought they were driving a Molue down Agege Motor Road? There the larger vehicle has right-of-way, of course but's that's not ICAO.

Here we can read something similar, I think, as a reply to some justified scepticism about whatever Arik is up to. Time will tell how this one plays out but I think the smart money is on big talk followed by sudden collapse followed by financial scandal followed by, uh... nothing much.

Don't spill your noodles down the front of your agbada there, Mr Ninja. Just chill out and wait to see if the Arik doubters have to eat their words. It wouldn't be the first time I have made a mistake.

ZAZOO
20th Sep 2007, 12:56
I think we have all made our points clear on this thread, so lets not overeact and start using words I feel are not befitting from the gentlemen we consider ourselves to be.

Please.

Zaz

NaijaNinja
20th Sep 2007, 13:20
HST, we all know tht AOG is a technical term, try to be flexible with your thoughts!

The 45 expats i mentioned was a quote from someone's sighting few days ago on this same thread!

Whether those machines work now or few months later, one thing is sure, those red figures are common to most airline startups, so that won't be a first!

Maybe you amongst other people don't realise that most of the Boeing orders that Arik have are at vastly reduced prices. They have taken advantage of a good deal because the options they have now were for a different operator who sold them onto Arik at reduced prices! Do some work on that and maybe you will see a smart business move there.

At least they are not like VK putting me in an old banger of a 767 making me watch a big screen from LGW to LOS and back to LGW. I am switching back to VS until W3 plies the British Isles.

The crew issue is something that won't be forever and i just detect people are making a big deal of it probably because they haven't made it into W3!

NaijaNinja
20th Sep 2007, 13:28
Hmmn, having read Chukwuma's thoughts and Zazoo's words of wisdom, i shall go with Zazoo and let the wrong people admit how wrong they have been in the future!

alghaita ganga
20th Sep 2007, 14:38
Is interesting that Aero which seem to have a sound business strategy and bring in aircraft when it has researched routes and yields, has just opened a new route to Gabon. It seems the exact opposite of arik - slow and steady, but every aircraft working from the moment it arrives, which is probably why Aero is making profit and have a good name with passengers such as me. Today's Daily Trust says:

Aerocontractors Airline has increased its international routes to seven within a week, as it begins operations to Central African city of Libreville in Gabon on Saturday.

The Managing Director of the airline, Mr. Koen Neven said 'the need to fill a yawning gap in the transportation requirement in the Central African zone prompted the operation of flights to Libreville, Gabon.'

Mr. Neven who was represented at the inaugural flight by the Marketing Manager of the airline, Mr. Theodore Chikelu noted that 'Libreville is like a hub in the Central Africa where passengers can connect different parts of the world, especially West Africa.

'It is very important to us when we recognize that we have already been granted the approval by our government to operate to Congo-Kinshasa, Windhoek, and down to Luanda.

'Libreville therefore is like a concentration for passengers to move to West Africa, North Africa and even connect Europe and America from Lagos, Nigeria,' he stated.

According to him, 'we shall be operating two frequencies for now every Tuesday and Saturday, with a plan to increasing it as soon as possible.'

Also speaking at the inaugural flight, the General Sales Agent for Aero in Libreville, Mr. Amoua Adamu said 'many Nigerians in Gabon are glad with the coming of Aero to Libreville. It will afford them the opportunity of easily doing their business between Nigeria and Gabon and at the same time travelling home for visits.

'They all knew about the airline in while in Nigeria and are proud that one of the well recommended airlines from their country is now operating to Libreville,' he added.

Aero recently commenced operation to Monrovia, Liberia, adding to other international routes operated which include Accra, Ghana; Abidjan, Cote D' Voire; Bamako, Mali; Malabo, Equatorial Guinea; and Sao Tome.

I wonder if they have thoughts of starting intercontinental flights? Is good they know that it is best to walk before running.

It will be interesting to an outside observer like me to also see if this story from BBC will have any outcomes with any local business:

The Nigerian president has ordered an investigation into alleged links between government officials in the Niger Delta and violent criminal gangs.
Rivers State officials - including the Deputy Governor - are accused of being secretly in control of the gangs. Turf wars between rival gangs in the state capital, Port Harcourt, last month left around 40 people dead. The city has been under night curfew since 17 August and last week the army sent in troops and helicopter gunships.

Leaders of the Delta's ethnic Ijaw residents met President Yar'Adua to spell out their complaints about the links between the gangs, or "cults", and named senior politicians. The president asked them to fully document their allegations and promised that corrupt officials would be brought to justice.

On his election in April, President Yar'Adua promised to tackle escalating crime in the Delta. The army operation launched last week is seen as part of a new policy to crush the region's powerful armed gangs and impose law and order.

Yar'Adua was elected on a pledge to bring corrupt officials to justice but civil rights activists say it is an open secret that politicians and gangs have had a long, close relationship, with politicians paying the criminals to rig elections and intimidate opponents. They say if the government is serious about destroying the gangs, it will also have to go after their political sponsors - and that could prove an embarassment to the ruling party.

Reality is what reality turns out to be. The truth does not always come out, but the next few years is going to be intersting to see which companies will still be there in Nigeria. I have my money with Bellview, VN and Aero staying the course, but have often lost money on bets in the past :}.

alghaita ganga
20th Sep 2007, 17:54
I have just read another thread here about EFCC interim report on Odili and Arumemi-Johnson. The words are not mine, but there seem to be evidence of a link between the two and the disappearance of large sum of money;
Interim EFCC Report (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=293013)
xiv. It was further established that Rockson Engineering Company Limited transferred over $120million through JM/JEM Air and one Thomas Eggar, a lawyer in the UK, to various bank accounts overseas. Over GBP2million and EURO 1million were also transferred overseas in the same manner. These transfers were done between January and November 2006.
It is important to note that all the naira denomination of these transfers were direct lodgements originating from Rivers state Government accounts.
xv. It has also been established that Mr Arumemi-Ikhide the business partner of the Rivers State Governor, is the owner of ARIK AIR LIMITED. He used monies received from the Rivers state Government to acquire all the assets and aircrafts of the company estimated to be worth over =N= 25billion.
xvi. The Political and business relationship between Dr. Odili and Mr Arumemi-Ikhide has become more obvious since the former's declaration to run for the Presidency. Investigation conducted at various hotels such as Transcorp Hilton, le Meridien, Sheraton etc in Abuja revealed that the Odili campaign organization made bookings worth =N=130 million through his campaign management team. The money came directly from the accounts of Arik Air Ltd. The origin of the money is linked directly to Mr. Arumemi-Ikhide for Dr. Odili's campaign.

What comment now from Naija Ninja?

Alpha Bravo Bravo
20th Sep 2007, 23:06
Arik may acquire two additional 737-700. This is apart from the previous orders.:confused:

NaijaNinja
21st Sep 2007, 03:49
Naija Ninja is not a betting man either but Ninja hopes the good guys last long and not die young like one of my lyrical heroes said. I am just not a fan of hearsay especially when serious accusations and defamation of individuals are involved. In those cases, I would rather deal with facts (such as authentic EFCC documents) and not hearsay even from the Press.

AERO has been and will always be the benchmark for Nigerian Aviation, an airline with a rich long history that has no match in Nigeria. To list Virgin Nigeria and Bellview alongside AERO is somewhat disrespectful to AERO, me thinks! But I do get your point!

I concur, its a shame they don't operate beyond the African shores, their livery would have been appreciated worldwide.

Having digested the EFCC document and without verifying its authenticity or the source of the document, all I have to say to those allegations is: Nigeria is a democratically governed nation, there's a rule of law, arrest the culprits (if they haven't already escaped in women's clothing!), charge them, give them the right to defend themselves in a court of law, let the justice system do its job, if found guilty, punish them according to the law.

Finally, for our (Aviators') sakes, transfer ownership of Arik Air to the Rivers State Government. Will that shut up the mouths of those making all these noises? I hope so!

Fine the money would have been best spent taking care of problems in River State, so an alternative solution like I already suggested in one of my previous posts is for the Federal Government to buy Arik off Rivers State Government and then make it a PLC, issue share options and make it a company owned by Nigerians!

Now, that's what I'm talking about!

NaijaNinja
21st Sep 2007, 05:37
http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200709210565081

Now that you've read the article, I am curious to know from those moaning about Arik's aircraft lying on the ground doing nothing, how many aircraft are we talking about here?

hotmj43
21st Sep 2007, 12:02
dejidip
what has hapened to Surely Not? i bet he could shed some light on things here,he was very much in the know a few years back,and had a lot of insider infor on the VK developments.......:cool:We should ask him formally to spill the truth on the 10k usd trip

BALEWA
21st Sep 2007, 15:20
Just heard from a friend Zaz has quit B3. :sad:

Any truth in this, hey Zazoo, shed some light.....

Eagle2007
21st Sep 2007, 15:38
:) Jagunmolu they will all learn It's nice to have a beautiful building but buildings don't fly airplanes that's a job for well paid pilot.

jagunmolu
22nd Sep 2007, 08:16
Gentlemen,the beat goes on,its begining to get clearer and clearer we shall soon know the whole truth and it shall set us all free,quite an interesting debate and revelations,those in glass houses should not throw stones,what goes around comes around,as per bread thats what we are in bussiness for,but we should stay legal,not chalking up 180 hours a month at the behest of your employer,but run the risk of losing your beloved license,all operators are the same,something happens and you are disowned bigtime,guys beware theres also a new bill that sends you to jail if anything happens think about it,as for me WILL FLY FOR FOOD with SENSE.All that glitters is not GOLD:cool::cool::eek:

HavingSaidThat
22nd Sep 2007, 21:22
jagunmolu,

but we should stay legal,not chalking up 180 hours a month at the behest of your employer,but run the risk of losing your beloved license,

Where do you get a figure like 180 hrs a month from? I would like to believe you know something that amounts to pilots flying over the Duty Time Regulations. If so, I am not surprised, but we can come to that that later. Would you say this is fact/close to the truth/or just something you believe is happening?

Flying Touareg
22nd Sep 2007, 21:30
Gentlemen,the beat goes on,its begining to get clearer and clearer we shall soon know the whole truth and it shall set us all free,quite an interesting debate and revelations,those in glass houses should not throw stones,what goes around comes around,as per bread thats what we are in bussiness for,but we should stay legal,not chalking up 180 hours a month at the behest of your employer,but run the risk of losing your beloved license,all operators are the same,something happens and you are disowned bigtime,guys beware theres also a new bill that sends you to jail if anything happens think about it,as for me WILL FLY FOR FOOD with SENSE.All that glitters is not GOLD:cool::cool::eek:

I thot flying past duty time was a thing of the past since the bluetail incidence. Any reason jagunmolu why u made this post?:hmm:

jagunmolu
23rd Sep 2007, 07:42
Guys,this is not hearsay or a spritly gist i know for a fact that the bluetail accident has not taught a lot of us anything,PILOTS are still willingly or out of ignorance going over and above the legal limits.its not personal guys,if you are a culprit, its time to look in wards and change,please dont take this PERSONAL, its a safety issue.Recently there was a CRASH in PHUKET want to know what caused it?MINIMUM REST,MULTIPLE SECTORS,SIMPLYFATIGUE, bigtime,theres no need to spoil for a fight becos that is not what is intended,just awareness so we do not fall victims,should an accident or incident occur,the facts always come to the fore.May we not be used as examples for the wrong reasons.lets all have a change of attitude and put our EGO,S aside for once , you old and bold ones that are above mistakes i wish you all well,a word is enough for ........................:D:cool:

dejidip
23rd Sep 2007, 14:24
I KNOW GOOD ADVICE WHEN I SEE OR HEAR ONE.GENTLEMEN LETS ACT RESPONSIBLY AND STAY LEGAL.WE OWE OURSELVES THAT.YOU DONT BELIEVE YOU NEED TO CONFORM?TRY AN INCIDENT,AND IT BECOMES VERY CLEAR INDEED.HOSSANA TODAY/HANG HIM TOMORROW SYNDROME.STAY SAFE AND LEGAL.
:cool::cool::cool:

hotmj43
23rd Sep 2007, 14:45
My Brother very true,and good advise from you,what i know of you has always been as an Officer and gentleman from the M 27 days, Alpha days .....
and up into the commercial world. hotmj43
Peace always South of LG:D

LongJohnThomas
25th Sep 2007, 14:31
Tell me about it guys.:ugh:
You cant really blame anyone here or criticize until you actually find yourself in the shoes they wear.
If the tin gods do it, how in heavens name do you think a rookie could possibly complain or even attempt to refuse being rostered to overfly.:suspect::ouch::eek:
The bosses do it, the management encourages it, the regulatory authority pretends it does'nt happen, what do you expect??!!!!:mad:
Our country shall remain a mess until we all rise up to fight for what's right, fair and justifiable.:D
Surely Not my friend seems to be quite busy now in BM; SN, my best regards.:ok:
HMJ we dey fight? PM me.

jagunmolu
26th Sep 2007, 09:12
Yeah right TIN GODS/SUPER PILOTS/UNTOUCHABLES..............Its all crap,WHATS WRONG IS WRONG,And incidents and or accidents dont have any respect for tin gods that have no respect for rules and regulations,remember TENERIFE?PHUKET Most recently?My broda no operator repeat no operator will force you to do what is wrong, dont get me wrong ,they will use instruments of coercion et al to get you going.But the decision to stay alive is always yours to make,Do not allow those with ulterior motives(MANAGEMENT/MY BOY SYNDROME) pull you down with them......I repeat they will disown you if youre unlucky to be alive,May this not be our portion.It takes a great deal of courage in the face of this guys to say it as it is,but the choices is always ours to make;remember that;For the regulators that turn a blind eye,Every dog has its day;;;:E:E:E:E

Flying Touareg
27th Sep 2007, 01:34
My question is what are we really doing about CRM in Nigeria at this age? I am hundred percent sure that both the pilots that exceed duty time as stipulated by regulations, the 'Tingods' and airline managements have been part of a CRM training somehow,and from the tales we continue to hear, it seems some people just attend these trainings to get per diem without benefiting from the trainings.Gentlemen, we are not leaving in the past anymore.

I personally will not work for any airline that does not take CRM seriously.And those that work for such airlines never cease to amaze me:confused: There is always an option people.

BALEWA
30th Oct 2007, 22:32
Whats up in Aero these days guys, are they recruiting for 737, Dash8 positions.

I know Bellview, Arik, and Virgin are looking!

Thanks.

Balewa

Flying Touareg
1st Nov 2007, 01:35
Arik air has finally applied to the US DOT to start operating flights to USA. However, they are also requesting an exemption to disclose their destination.

Arik Air requests that the United States destination city not be made public. Specifically, the requested exemption would authorize Arik Air to provide nonstop scheduled air transportation of persons, cargo and mail three times per week between Lagos, Nigeria and ............, United States, with all flights being operated under wet lease by an appropriately-qualified U.S. or foreign air carrier using its crew and Airbus A-340-500 aircraft configured at 282 seats.

Arik Air's planned nonstopscheduled services to....... , United States will begin with the initial flight departing Lagos no earlier than January 15, 2008. Arik Air will notify the Department once the start date has been finalized. Arik Air will offer three Lagos, Nigeria - , United States roundtrip flights per week, using wet-leased A340-500 wide-body aircraft configured in two-class seating (228 Economy, 54 Premium)

jagunmolu
1st Nov 2007, 22:56
BIG SECRET,BIG MASQUERADE,NON DISCLOSURE;VERY LAUGHABLE,THIS MUST INDEED BE A JOKE,I BET THATS A MILLENIUM STRATEGY, UP BLACKFACE :eek: THE BEAT SURELY GOES ON,WE AWAIT THE DEPARTURE TO SECRET DESTINATIONS WITH SECRET PASSENGERS.............................:hmm:

HavingSaidThat
2nd Nov 2007, 06:42
Oil producing country to oil producing country. Or shall we say oil producing area of the USA. How difficult can that be ;)

AVSEC
2nd Nov 2007, 10:23
weeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.Thats gotta be original innit?

outofhereoyibo
3rd Nov 2007, 07:46
Houston we have a problem.

hotmj43
3rd Nov 2007, 07:51
Return to the Cape, if you can !!!! if not Ditch in the Pond

hotmj43
3rd Nov 2007, 07:56
Last i heard Aero are looking for type rated 733,if you have a 732 they will look at you,for a differences course in SA......Dash 8 they always want pilots so they can move guys up to the 733.

hotmj43
3rd Nov 2007, 08:03
Jag......they have to be mindful of the competition, some who have been trying to get to the US for years.......I guess if they can apply to the DOT without naming dest,why not, more so if the DOT have that provision.....at application stage......Good one Arik i say:D

outofhereoyibo
4th Nov 2007, 03:19
I say again, HOUSTON we have a problem. Key word being HOUSTON TX, USA

hotmj43
6th Nov 2007, 16:08
Haba got that......Plenty Nijas in Texas:ok:

hotmj43
6th Nov 2007, 16:11
B3 are looking to catch the midnight train to Atlanta GA i gather.

outofhereoyibo
9th Nov 2007, 19:13
Plenty of oil buisness in texas:)
hmm............ pay seems a low. good luck. here is the info for anyone that needs it.
Arik Air commenced operations with their inaugural flight on the 30
th
October
2006 using one of their three newly delivered CRJ900 aircraft. Since
October 2006 the airline has already increased their fleet size by introducing
2 x B737-300, 2 x B737-700, CRJ900 and Hawker800 aircraft. At present
their current fleet provides scheduled domestic passenger services as well
as ad hoc executive services. In August 2007 Arik Air will commence log
haul international services using two wet leased B747-400 aircraft. Further to
this the airline expects delivery of their first 777 aircraft in 2010 which will
facilitate the airlines international expansion.
In consideration of the airlines fast expanding operations they are currently
seeking applications from qualified flight crew personnel for permanent
positions with an operating base in Nigeria. Knowing that successful
candidates will originate from various locations worldwide the airline has
implemented a well structured schedule allowing crew members return home
for four consecutive weeks at a time after eight weeks of service.
Opportunities with Arik Air will offer successful candidates very positive and
attractive long term career prospects with the possibility of command
upgrades and even further possibilities to move on to larger aircraft
types as the airline continues to grow.
CRJ200/900 Instructor
CRJ200/900
Line Captains
CRJ200/900
First Officers
Client airline will pay tax free salaries on a monthly basis at the following
rates
USD8, 500 per month
USD7, 500 per month
USD 3, 000- USD 5,000 per month (dependant on candidate experience)
Per Diem
Crewmembers will be paid a per diem of NGN 10,000 (Approx USD80) per
day at layovers and outstations.
Operating Base
Crewmembers shall be based in Lagos, Nigeria.
Accommodation
Crewmembers will be provided by the client airline with fully furnished
apartments in a newly developed secure complex. Onsite facilities include NOT BUILT! YOU WILL STAY AT A GUEST HOUSE.:= WHICH HAS SEEN BETTER DAYS. BRING TONS OF MOSQUITO REPELENT.

restaurant which allows crewmembers dine for free (gym facilities currently
being installed).??????
Client airline will provide suitable hotel accommodations at layovers and out
stations.
Travel
-
Client airline will provide crewmembers with positive airline tickets from
the crewmembers base of operations to their operating base. At the
commencement and completion of the crew members employment.
-
Client airline will provide crewmembers with positive return airline
tickets for each 4 weeks off duty from base of operations to home base.
-
Crew members will be provided with a 24 hr on call driver service at the
operating base for use during duty and non duty periods.
NEVER SAW IT! WAS PROMISED BUT NEVER HAPPEND.
-
Crew members immediate family members will be eligible to access the
airlines route network as per local policies and procedures.
Medical Insurance
Client airline will provide crewmembers with local medical coverage for the
duration of the assignment period.
Page 3
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Minimum Requirements
Client airline requests candidates with following minimum requirements:
-
Valid ICAO / JAA / FAA ATPL/CPL
-
Current First Class Medical Certificate pertinent to the license held
-
Type Rating the CRJ900
-
Recency on CRJ900 (ideally 3 take off and landings within the last
90 days, candidates will be considered without recency as long as
they are willing to finance recurrent training)
-
Minimum of 100 hours on type (Captains and First Officers)
-
Instructors – Ideally 500-1000 hours on type
-
Captain - Total of 4000 hours flying time on all aircraft type
-
First Officers – Total of 500-1000 hours flying time on all aircraft type
-
Fluency in English both written and spoken
-
No history of accidents or incidents
-
No criminal record
DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED / APPLICATION PROCESS
Documentation Required
& Application Process
Candidates meeting the above minimum requirements should submit the
following documentation in order for there application to be processed:
-
License
-
Medical
-
Passport
-
Passport Photo
-
Copy of last proficiency check report
-
Certificate from licensing aviation authority confirming no accidents
or incidents
-
Last page of Logbook
-

MamaPut
20th Nov 2007, 20:36
NAF Base was very interesting for a while this morning when an Arik Dash 8 who was given clearance for a visual approach (as is standard as there are no approved IFR arrivals in NAF Base) failed to find the field! He'd obviously slowed down trying to locate it and the aircraft behind was catching up. The tower made things even worse by issuing conflicting instructions as he had the aircraft visual and at one stage all aircraft were told to hold position (presumably all helicopters were expected to hover!) and the Arik was told to climb to 2000 feet and return to the POT VOR and contact Port Harcourt approach to get a new clearance. The NAF Tower controller then got furious when the Arik wouldn't reply to his queries as to his position (as he'd complied with instructions and changed to Port Harcourt approach). I guess it was one of the aircraft leased from Denim Air. Do their pilots get any route training before being released to fly here?

soggyboxers
20th Nov 2007, 20:48
I was there, and it was a potentially dangerous situation. Thank goodness the weather was good so most other aircraft could see him. If this had happened later in the day when there was a heavy thunderstorm at NAF Base, things could well have turned out very badly. I certainly hope their pilots have proper route training. It's very noticeable that in the last few years the standard of local knowledge and procedures has deteriorated in Port Harcourt as aircraft numbers have increased, more new pilots arrive and commercial pressure is put on to release them to the line with borderline area knowledge sometimes by training staff who may be very experienced but have limited borderline knowledge themselves. With Harmattan due soon, it is to be hoped that all the companies operating out here will ensure that their crews have adequate training for and knowledge of the routes they are going to operate.

hotmj43
20th Nov 2007, 20:54
Well they should get a brief from the crew they have just taken over from on the rotation,and if they are green,they normally get a third pilot on the jump seat to show them the ropes,i guess VFR with the Harmattan haze can be a bit of a bother.... Around the NAF base.....i guess no water tanks to act as markers like the old Warri strip,the Aero guys used to use in the good old days.Hmmmm it can happen uncertain of your position

soggyboxers
20th Nov 2007, 21:12
hotmj,

All aircraft operating out here are required to have a GPS fitted, there was no Harmattan haze at all this morning (visibility at the time was well in excess of 5 nm) and one thing that NAF has which the old warri airstrip didn't, is around 6000 feet of tarmac not 600 metres!!

Actually on the old Warri strip we used to use the sports stadium and new bright shiny house roofs (especially when they started using either red or blue aluminium in addition to wiggly tin :}).

BALEWA
21st Nov 2007, 01:05
soggyboxers is spot on, and yeah what ere the dash 8 crew navigating with!!!

The NAF base approach kindda looks straight forward to me (come over the POT Vor and then uuuuhhhh..... someone help.....) so what ere they doing?

I use the NAF Base service quite often and once jumped with the crew to lagos, boy was not very impressed with their navi savvy!!!!

B
PS: SOGGY WHATS THE APPROACH PROCEDURE INTO THE NAF BASE FROM OVER POT VOR, THANKS.

hotmj43
21st Nov 2007, 05:18
SoggyBoxer,i stand corrected,Navigation was the problem,it appears they did not get to the tarmac,at the time let alone use it :ugh: So Runway length was not an issue.:=

MamaPut
21st Nov 2007, 19:43
Seems it's not just Arik. Something happened today with a Virgin F50, also flown by Denim Air. He was holding over the POT VOR as the weather at NAF Base was 1500 metres visibility and asking the NAF Tower what the SVFR limits were into NAF for his company! The last bit of the final approach looked pretty amazing as it's not often you see even a small airliner using around 30 degrees of bank below 500 feet to get lined up on a runway when there's no wind! I hope they'll have improved when the Harmattan arrives because if not there's something bad blowing in the wind :mad:

ZAZOO
21st Nov 2007, 19:49
You all scaring me now :sad: !!! looks like its owerri for me this christmas.

Zazoo

anjouan
21st Nov 2007, 20:11
ZAZ,

Aero still looking good - may cost slightly more, but you get what you pay for :ok:

Engine Noise
21st Nov 2007, 23:42
Guys,i wonder if the NAF Base has an IAP?
Except if for security reasons none is published?

MamaPut
22nd Nov 2007, 04:35
Nothing to do with security. There is no approved IAP for NAF Base, Port Harcourt. It has no navaids. There is an NDB but it has only worked intermittently for the last year and is currently unserviceable. The procedure for a VFR arrival for fixed wing is based on arrival overhead the POT VOR, let down on a radial from that, then right turn to line up for a VMC approach to runway 22.

18left
22nd Nov 2007, 13:42
me thinks its a straightforward approach,but i think DENIM might have faulty route trng.
The dash 8 and f50 are well equipped with gps based fmcs so why get lost?
Controllers dont help though,as most of this guys are not used to the local accents.
Someone pls explain to them that when passed to 127.3 from 124.7,they dont need SOB,endurance,reg aicraft type,ONLY estimates.
They cause a lot of frequency congestion not knowing when and when not to pass this info

AlternativeProcedure
22nd Nov 2007, 17:42
I was flying a dash-8 en route to PH Mil when the incident with the Virgin Nigeria aircraft occured, we had slowed down hoping for improvements at the NAF base. About 3 miles to POSAD we made the decision to divert to Osubi. That VK aircraft really should have diverted and not carried out that approach. The horizontal visibility was well below minimus. Just before he landed, the PNF was transmitting and we could hear GPWS warnings in the back ground (Pull Up,Pull up). People on the ground say they saw some spectacular manouvers from the aircraft prior to touch down, anyway NAF tower immidiately requested that the Captain come to the tower.

Flying Touareg
3rd Dec 2007, 18:26
Arik Now Niger Republic’s National Carrier

Nigeria ’s domestic airline, Arik Air, is now the national carrier of Niger Republic , which will now be operating both local and international flights from that country.
This was made known at the weekend by the Chairman of the airline, Sir Joseph Arumemi-Johnson, while delivering a speech to commemorate the arrival of another new aircraft for the airline, Boeing 737-700NG, at the Arik Aviation Centre, Murtala Mohammed Airport , Lagos .
Arumemi-Johnson also said that the airline is talking with Economic Community of West Africa (ECOWAS) to see that the airline operates in all the member countries and that the governments of Senegal and Cameroon have endorsed the airline to start operating from both nations.

BALEWA
3rd Dec 2007, 20:11
Not bad! Hopefuly more routes more revenue and more Jobs in the Nigerian Aviation Industry.

Lets keep it together.

Balewa:ok:

jnignon
4th Dec 2007, 13:58
good news. hopefully they will base some maintenance engineers in Niger

jagunmolu
25th Feb 2008, 07:44
Maybe the whole crew should start inquiring about accomodation availability in ACCRA,TAMALE AND TAKORADI.Ghanians are real nice people and they love Nigerians and their businesses,might actually not be a bad idea to move ARIK OPS to Accra with so many routes abound and millions to be airlifted,KUDOS to HON Mr ARARUME- JOHNSON for his brillant idea,more grease to his elbows for such wonderful business sense.Goodluck:cool:

skygod
25th Feb 2008, 08:13
Big DIP,
I Guess this is starting to sound like another SLOK AIR, not the greatest idea to move the airplanes to Accra. ACCRANIANS are cool people though.....!!!!!! :-)

Good Luck

Phone Wind
4th May 2008, 15:10
One thing nobody seems to have mentioned, although it's been talked of in a few helicopter threads, is what's happening with Aero as CHC and the Ibru family seem to have some pretty major differences of opinion and there has been talk of CHC pulling out of Nigeria. I think they'd find it's not that easy as they have a substantial investment in aircraft (both fixed and rotary) here and if they try and pull out unilaterally they'd have considerable problems de-registering the aircraft to move them out (unless they think they can just steal them :E).

I've heard that there have been high level discussions between the management of the 2 companies, but haven't heard if anything has been settled as yet. There have been threads about CHC pulling out of Africa, the new owners of CHC wanting to break up the company and sell it off. Are they likely to sell off the CHC stake in Nigeria to Aero, and could Aero actually afford to buy it? If they did that do you think that Aero would be able to continue to operate to the standard they have all these years? It would be sad to see that something started over 50 years ago by Bob Schreiner was finished. Bob started his Schreiner company even before Hancke Morten, Carl Agar and Alan Bristow started the companies which have now become absorbed into these huge, amorphous, characterless, accountant-led amorphous conglomerates.

Actually in many ways, maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing. After all, Chief Michael Ibru who is CEO of Aero, is married to Cecilia Ibru, one of Africa's most powerful women and CEO of one of Nigeria's largest banks, Oceanic.

The Ibru Group, started in 1966 with the establishment of a trading company, Laibru limited. The first and most significant step in the organization’s evolution came in 1957 when the founder and chief executive, Michael Ibru pioneered the marketing of frozen fish in Nigeria to alleviate the acute shortage of animal protein in the average Nigerian’s diet. Amongst other things it now owns: Ibru Sea Foods Limited, Aero Contractors Nigeria Limited, Ibache (Ibafon Chemicals) Limited, Ibafon Oil Limited, Ibron Nigeria Ltd; Ikeja Hotels Plc. (Lagos Sheraton and Federal Palace Hotels); Oceanic Bank Int’l. Plc, Aquamarine Finance and Securities Limited, Queens Petroleum Company of (Nig.) Limited, Guardian Newspaper Limited; Minet Nigeria Limited (insurance brokers).

AeroContractors, Nigeria's oldest airline, was formed in 1959 and registered in Nigeria in 1960 as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Schreiner Airways. In 1973 it had a 40% Nigerian holding, then in 1976 a 60% Nigerian holding because of the government's indigenisation decree. It's reported that Bob Schreiner enjoyed a cordial relationship with the Ibru family, especially Olorogun Michael Ibru and maybe that's why they still enjoy a good relationship with Koen Neven and have not allowed CHC to replace him with their own arrogant, know-it-all Canadian managers who have brought the company to this present crisis. At least Koen has spent enough of his life in Africa to understand the continent and it people and to empathise with them and know how to work with them. In a shrewd move, the Ibrus have also brought Nabil Haqui out of retirement, reportedly as GM of the whole Aero group. He's another shrewd old fox, well liked by the Ibrus and well versed in the ways of Africa. For Aero, a split or partial split from CHC could even turn out to be a very good thing in the long term.

ZAZOO
4th May 2008, 19:19
Very interesting and lots of info Phone Wind, thanks for that.

Hopefully if the split occurs it would be in the interest of both parties and the Ibrus try to put in the extra effort to keep Aero going strong. I believe they can with the right kind of people in strategic positions !!!

Caught sight of Nabil Haqui the other day and you can tell his a man back here in Lagos on a mission and he looks prepared and ready to go, but he cant do it on his own he has to put together a formidable team around him.

I'll hold back any accolades I may have for him for now, lets wait and see.

Fingers Crossed :ok:

AVSEC
5th May 2008, 02:21
wow.informative stuff.Looks like pprune is back.
With ARIK and VK going through certain challenges RE MMA2 and preserved routes,its great to see a wholly owned African aviation company making great strides with its NON African partners and finding compromise despite strategic interests of each partner.Well done Aero and CHC.:D

Tokunbo
6th May 2008, 11:54
Yes Nabil is back and he's General Manager, Ops for both the fixed and rotary wing divisions of Aero. As Zazoo says, he can't turn things around on his own and will need to get rid of some of those (senior) managers who have almost brought the company down and replace them with people who know both aviation and Nigeria. To have been appointed to the position he's now in, he must have the backing of the Ibrus and Koen Neven, so he should be able to get the people he needs and get rid of those brought in by CHC who aren't capable of doing the job or understanding Africa :ugh:

Capt Tobias Wilcock
11th May 2008, 19:28
Dear Bros,
talking from the outside, it ia great news to see that think:ok::ok:s are moving in your country and the aviation industry, good to hear about all the increase in pay being a sign of recognition of your worth and professionalisim, to whom a lot is given a lot is expected, you need to close your ranks and position together as a professional body(not neccesarily a trade union), you need to adress
professional issues
comportment
respect
self improvement of your skills
passing on knowledge etc
Off particular mention is AERO, being the oldest of the lot.
We look forward to some of the airlines becoming real natonal carriers and vehicle of national prominence to the nationals,.
We look forward to airline totally run both technical and top level management to be Nigerians, At this times and age the Africans are capable of doing anything, including ruling a world power country( hopefully Obama has made a point already) you guys need to stop saying never for your sake and does of your kids where ever in the world you might think they are comfortabe (still serious race issues all over)
God's speed ( pardon my english, french carabian):ok: