PDA

View Full Version : Low time pilot looking for work in Tanzania.

jc.bank
23rd Aug 2006, 05:28
I just finished training here in Canada... I have CPL/Multi-IFR, 250hrs TT. I want to work in Tanzania but the problem is the companies that i've been in contact with (ZanAir and KiliAir) require 1000hrs TT. I'm trying to find companies over there that are willing to hire low time pilots, so far no luck. If there are, please let me know those companies names, and I would welcome any comments about what i should expect about working in Tanzania.

later.

iamanaussiemavrick
23rd Aug 2006, 06:32
you are a citizen of tanzania???

captain69
23rd Aug 2006, 09:06
Buy a ticket and get over there. Knock on doors and oh yeah, dont forget your berrocca.

flyingmasai
23rd Aug 2006, 10:56
I think you need 1000 hrs tt to be able to convert your licence with Tanzanian caa. (you need to pass 6 written test).

jc.bank
23rd Aug 2006, 14:26
you are a citizen of tanzania???
no i'm not a tanzanian citizen although i have been there a few times because my mother is from there and i have cousins that still live over there.

jc.bank
23rd Aug 2006, 14:50
I think you need 1000 hrs tt to be able to convert your licence with Tanzanian caa. (you need to pass 6 written test).
Really, that's very different from what i've heard before. 1000hrs and 6 written tests? what kind of written tests are those if you don't mind me asking. I thought I only need to write an air law exam and a flight test to get the conversion. If you're right that could be trouble for me because i'm no where near 1000 hrs, I have only 250 hrs.

Soap Box Cowboy
23rd Aug 2006, 16:20
Never heard of this "1000 hour and six exams" As far as I know it's Air law only. At 250 hours you will struggle along with many others to get in. What were really missing out here is guys with 1500+ hours.

Your best and I think only bet is to come down here and start knocking on doors, though I think no one will offer you a job unless you have the Tanzanian liscence in hand when you do the knocking.

Good luck :ok:

RICCARDOVOLANTE
23rd Aug 2006, 17:16
What were really missing out here is guys with 1500+ hours.

Wow and guess why?because nobody wanna work for those Tanzanian operators.
Sincerely
Riccardo Volante

cpt hamna sheeda
23rd Aug 2006, 19:28
It used to be ´´officially´´ 1000hrs, or less hrs and some money for mr Mwakuliku of the TCAA.:eek:

flyingmasai
24th Aug 2006, 10:56
When I did my conversion overthere I had to take 6 exams, that was in 1995, Maybe it is no longer the case. No flight test involve.

vanraider
26th Aug 2006, 19:21
you only need 200 hours to convert your licence....
just show up at TCAA and pay the fee and sit the exam the following week. it's a computer based multiple choice mostly on ppl stuff like met, airlaw etc...(get your result straight away...if the system hasn't crashed...)then do a medical again.
then have to do GFT with a designated examiner and a IR exam too.
probably a TTR for the type you want to fly

vanraider

6-String
26th Aug 2006, 20:20
Now that sounds like Africa..! :ok:

Rude Boy
27th Aug 2006, 11:59
If the hours are your problem for getting employed in Tanzania, why don't you go down to Botswana and fly round the delta for a season or two before heading north. I know of a handful of guys who've done that in the last couple of years. The companies there are more than happy to hire low time guys and you'll probably score some multi or turbine time while you're there as well.

pilotezulu
28th Aug 2006, 11:47
The companies there are more than happy to hire low time guys and you'll probably score some multi or turbine time while you're there as well.

awesome :) ... any names come to mind?

Rude Boy
29th Aug 2006, 07:41
If you're wondering about Botswana operators for entry level flying why don't you try Safari Air, Mack Air, Moremi Air or Sefofane Air Charters. I'm sure a web search will provide more info. They're all fairly reputable companies operating Cessna piston singles, C208's and/or Islanders. It's solid hours and the guys have a good time.

170'
30th Aug 2006, 10:41
Conversion fee´s

Here´s what I was told by a local operator when they offered me a job a few months ago. I think it was around April or May

CPL conversion USD 375.00
Type rating fee USD 60.00
Lic Issue fee USD 50.00
IR issue fee USD 50.00
IR examiners fee USD 100.00

Plane for IR test (Seneca) around 500 bucks an hour.

Plus accomodation, living expenses and transport...Exams are in Dar of course...

Sorry, I don´t have more info! as I declined the job offer..

It´s Africa so check it hasn´t changed already..Good luck!

jc.bank
31st Aug 2006, 01:59
Thanks for all of your information and advices....Tanzania is my first option because i have relatives there but i have to admit Maun is a very good place as well. i checked out the sefofane website, it looks like a very good company... i think i will have an experience of a lifetime whichever way i decide to go.

later.

jc.bank
31st Aug 2006, 02:41
does anybody know how hard or easy is the conversion to a Botswana CPL? How many written exams and flight tests? how long does it usually take to complete the conversion process. I'm asking in case i decide to go there i want to make sure that i have the conversion finished by the time they start hiring next january. I'm trying to get a job with sefofane so if anybody has any advice about that company, feel free to let me know. One more thing, if i go to Botswana i will most likely start on a Cessna 206 which i don't have a check out for yet, i don't know whether i should get it before i leave Canada or if i should wait and get it in Botswana since they are going to train me on it anyways. What do you think?

Solid Rust Twotter
31st Aug 2006, 07:30
Might be to your advantage to appear in Bots with C206 and BN2 experience as you'll be competing with a number of other pilots for a limited number of jobs. Any advantage will help you stand out from the crowd.

Baron Von Mildred
22nd Sep 2006, 14:53
Soap box cowboy
'Never heard of this "1000 hour and six exams" As far as I know it's Air law only. At 250 hours you will struggle along with many others to get in. What were really missing out here is guys with 1500+ hours.'

Perhaps you can offer a bit of advice then. As a pilot approaching 2500 hours with experience on most bush aircraft types, C206 C210 C401, Pa23 etc, would it be worth my while moving back then? I was last flying in Africa in '99. What would I realisticly earn now? Back them I was lucky to make $1000 a month before housing etc.

Soap Box Cowboy
22nd Sep 2006, 17:31
Baron. With your hours you should be able to get a job on a C402, 404 or PA-31. There might also be some van jobs. You will deffinetly be making more than 1500 a month, should be at least 2000 for the twins menitoned.

Though most likely you will need to pay for your conversion, though perhaps not for the IR ride if a company accepts you.

Check at Auric Air in Mwanza, Air Excell and Regional in Arusha. Zan Air in Zanzibar. Coastal, Zantas and Tanzanair in Dar Es Salaam.

Baron Von Mildred
22nd Sep 2006, 20:31
Soap Box Cowboy

Thanks for the reply. I presume the work over there is seasonal, so would I be looking at arriving there around May, or are things more desperate?

I gather the conversion is more straightforward than when I was there in '97 (I had an interview with Tanzanair, they said: not enough experience ...1200hrs then).

How is pay structured there, is it a fixed salary or per km/nm basis or what?

Soap Box Cowboy
24th Sep 2006, 17:40
The workload is seasonal, and the pay is usually monthly, Though some companies do KM/Mile. There is a demand for pilots even during low season since that is the time everyone is on leave, and it is the time the most training gets done.

With the shortage of experienced pilots here you will most likely find a job now. I've know guys that have taken 3-4 months to get their liscences sorted and get online with enough hours on type for the insurance, So it's best to come a couple of months before the season starts and before the influx of newbies.

MSEK
18th Oct 2011, 07:49
Hi, can I have details of the companies who can recruit the CPL with 260 hrs as am desperate for a job. I am Tanzanian. Thanks