PDA

View Full Version : Delta/continental Airlines,are They Comming Into Nigeria Or Not?

AVSEC
22nd Aug 2006, 13:12
Dont know if anyone here has any info as to if Delta and Continental airlines are actually comming into Nigeria or not?
So many rumours floating around.Political issues led to Continental not starting up.What have you heard?

nomoneynowek
22nd Aug 2006, 13:36
Delta service to Jnb via Dakar starting Dec 5th I think. Was some talk of Accra, but not too sure. Havben't heard anything about Nigeria though from Delta.

Rani
22nd Aug 2006, 13:48
Why should Delta and CO be given approval to fly to LOS if Virgin Nigeria's USDoT application to serve JFK is collecting dust since February? :confused:
Bellview and Arik were recently given "approval" to fly to Newark and Atlanta, respectively. In light of Nigeria's ongoing CAT 3 status I don't see the Americans giving their blessing for the Nigerians.
Politically the only way out is USDoT reciprocating the Nigerian's govt. clearance of North American Airlines by allowing VK to operate to New York, with wet-leased equipment, until Nigeria attains CAT 1. Otherwise CO, DL, B3, and Arik can keep dreaming.
Sorry for being cynical, but unless the Americans give up their cowboy aeropolitics, the status quo will remain, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Nigerians revoked North American's route right.

OPEN SKIES - Got to love them !!!!

AVSEC
22nd Aug 2006, 15:03
That fits in with whats being heard here.Arik is not supposed to begin operations until next year anyway.Dont know about Bellview.But there seems to be some consensus as to things not getting any easier for VK and VS once present political regime leaves or there is a change in government.
Appears that CAT 1 status may be attained as FAAN have sacked another 840 personnel on monday and are begining training of aviation fire officers in Cameroun soon.
All appears aimed at passing IOSA audit on Nigerian airports later this year.Airconditioning within airport,emergency lighting,generators are all working now,and NAMA has financial backing for installation of communication and VSAT equipment to link all 22 airports.

Personally,for our business,North American airlines or the new world airlines phase 2 is not what Nigeria needs.We need the heavy hitters like Continental and Delta.As long as two Nigerian airlines can ply the route,I dont care if VK is not one of them.

Rani
22nd Aug 2006, 15:23
AVSEC,

..."I dont care if VK is not one of them."

But VK is the flag carrier of Nigeria! VS technical partners were selected transparently, since only 2 bids were received by FGN, and they include SAA's proposal which left much to be desired (just look at how they flew Air Tanzania into a brick wall).

It's not a matter of pride for me either! I don't doubt Arik's potentials, but I have serious concerns about Bellview who have a track record of abandoning routes (Amsterdam, Rio, etc.).

Flying Touareg
22nd Aug 2006, 15:54
VK ceased to be the national carrier along time since when the aviation minister became pro-arik!:confused:
VK ceased to be the national carrier since when the government reneged on the routes exclusivity agreemnet it had with VK:confused:

gen3
22nd Aug 2006, 16:57
At least, Delta has been putting ads out for a CEO and other staff postions in Accra. Its all been more of rumours until now. :bored:

No firm dates on commencement of operations yet.

surely not
22nd Aug 2006, 18:54
VK was NEVER the NATIONAL carrier........................

A Natonal carrier is defined as one which is State owned and run, none of which applies to Virgin Nigeria.

VK is a nominated Flag Carrier for Nigeria.

How true though that the latest aviation minister is not overly 'onside' with the original plan. I'm surprised that the EFCC haven't had a look at this person and his subsidised trips with a new airline on the block, and his very pro attitude towards them at the expense of his governments choice.

Rani
22nd Aug 2006, 20:51
IMO The Government never breached the exclusivity agreement it signed with VK.

The text of the agreement stipulated VK rights exclusivity on the CITIES of New York, London, Dubai, Jeddah, etc.

Newark is not New York. It's not even in the same state (NJ is not NY). Sure it's not far from New York, but nobody can argue that Newark city belongs to New York as defined by the latter's municipal boundaries.

Also, Birmingham is not London (duh!) nor is Atlanta in any way mentioned in that exclusivity paragraph.

Call me ignorant Flying Touareg, but please shed some light on how the government dishonoured the agreement ir signed?

I'm not against VK, in fact I've supported them 100% even before they started, but I think the yard is big enough for everyone to play. Besides, who needs a flag carrier anyway, as long as a few strong and well-capitalized carriers carry the Nigerian flag.

And for the record I do believe Babalola Borishade is a crook. As the aviation minister he is supposed to be impartial, providing a level playing field. But it seems he's too busy collecting "dash" and free tickets from <name withheld>. The very fact that such a clown is in charge of the aviation portfolio puts the Obasansjo administration in a bad, bad light. Increasingly EFCC "appears" to be his political whip used against his opponents i.e. Atiku A, etc.

rick1128
23rd Aug 2006, 02:54
Newark is not New York. It's not even in the same state (NJ is not NY). Sure it's not far from New York, but nobody can argue that Newark city belongs to New York as defined by the latter's municipal boundaries.

KEWR is run by the same idiots that run KJFK and KLGA. The Port Authority of NY and NJ. And EWR was the offiicial airport for NY long before there was a klga or KJFK airports.

AVSEC
23rd Aug 2006, 13:07
Professional colleagues,all I mean is that if VK gets the USA route,then fine.If not I couldnt care less as long as a Nigerian based airline gets it.Aero is there,Arik is there,Bellview is there,Afrijet has been mentioned but no one knows whats happening with it,the mirage of transatlantic airlines exiisted before it dissapeared.
But not an airline that will embarrass us on CNN,or not meet its obligations in regard to scheduled operating times.