PDA

View Full Version : How to Start Career in Airport Ops or Airline Ops?

Brian21156
21st Aug 2006, 17:26
I am looking for some advice on a possible career change. I am currently in IT Support, I have a degree, 2 yrs work experience and Microsoft exams. At the moment my career seems to be going nowhere and I have lost interest in IT. I am considering leaving IT and looking for something in aviation. I have had an interest in aviation for some time. I cannot become a pilot so has anybody got any ideas on how to get Airport Operations or Airline Operations jobs? I am open to any suggestions. I have no problem if I have to start at the bottom and work my way up. I am currently based in Ireland but have no commitments so I can move if necessary. Would it be worthwhile doing a Masters in Airport Management and Planning at Cranfield University first or should I get some experience before I do a Masters.

LOOP2STAND1
21st Aug 2006, 17:57
Airfield Operations is a great job. I did around 2 years at London City Airport while studying for my fATPL. Generally all OPS positions were recruited from within the company however, on ocasion we took direct entry external aplicants. I started at City as a part-time security officer and then applied for an ops position when one became available. LCY use REED employment for new hires.

http://www.londoncityairport.com/index.php?page=recruitment

WindSheer
22nd Aug 2006, 13:19
Getting a job as a dispatcher or similar is not the most difficult, but a job wihin an actual airline ops dept is a bit more hard to come by.

It comes down to the old two tips, who you know and being in the right place at the right time!

All the best!

Wodka
23rd Aug 2006, 20:24
I suggest go in as cabin crew ... gets you in the door and once your in you can make contacts and find out about internal jobs easily.

plus it looks good when going for another job - ie you know the setup, routes and you have been on the line

OpsSix
25th Aug 2006, 08:12
It comes down to the old two tips, who you know and being in the right place at the right time!

All the best!

Couldn't agree more. The above quote has helped me in at least 3 positions including a 6 month stint in Airfield Ops @ LCY.

Maybe look at going into a PSA job, then into Dispatch and then into Ops. That seems to be the typical route.

FormerFlake
29th Aug 2006, 11:43
You could also join the RAF either as at the bottom (rank wise, not capability) as Trade Group 9 or try for a commission into the Ops Support (Flt Ops) specialization. You could serve as little as 7 years and will learn a lot.

howflytrg
29th Aug 2006, 17:47
You could do what i did, and join as a trolley pusher. Within 2 years I had gone up the chain into the terminal control room. Others went to airfield ops. :ok: The world is ones oyster......... (card)........or at least red-ken thinks so......mmmm.:}

LHR_777
5th Sep 2006, 23:11
If you're looking for a ground-based role, I'd suggest working in Passenger Services as a starter, as opposed to crew. If you're on the ground, you have a much better idea of the 'big picture' regarding the ground operation. If you're crew, you don't really get to actually see much of the ground ops.

I've been at a major airline for less that two years and in that time i've gone from Customer Service Agent to Senior Customer Service Agent and i've just been hired for a position in Operations (Load Control).

SwissportSFB
7th Sep 2006, 20:10
SEND ME YOUR RESUME, YOU CAN HAVE MY JOB! :ok:

Negative Backtrack
29th Feb 2008, 06:37
For anyone who is unsure of what airfield / airside operations does, this sums it up really well. “From the glass of the departure lounge all the way outside is airfield / airside operations – safety on the ground complements safety in the air and they have a very experienced team to ensure that they deliver in that respect.”

This link may explain some more

http://www.airsideoperations.com/index.php/about-us/overview (http://www.airsideoperations.com/)

dada
1st Mar 2008, 08:26
dont bother.

call100
1st Mar 2008, 15:30
The two jobs are poles apart. Look at the site suggested by Negative Backtrack. See if its Airfield Ops you want......Personally don't think you can beat it.
I think those that are offering their jobs up are Airline Ops.:uhoh:

blue monday
2nd Mar 2008, 15:42
Good Luck - i left the RAF 3 years ago last month, i was a FOA/AATC (RAF flight operations/Assistant air traffic trade group) and have not found an ops job and i live near Manchester Airport.

OpsMan38
3rd Mar 2008, 15:51
Are you willing to relocate to Stansted???:ok:

blue monday
4th Mar 2008, 11:01
Are you willing to relocate to Stansted???:ok:

LoL - Thanks for the offer but thats way too far South. :)

BY752
4th Mar 2008, 16:48
Are there any jobs going in Stansted at the moment?

Ballymoss
4th Mar 2008, 20:25
dadas response............Good bit of advice, well worth considering:(

Rgds
The Moss:ok:

Ricoffy
5th Mar 2008, 05:00
How do I get into loadcontrol in Europe. I have 28 years experience in WAB with various systems such as ATRAXIS, KIRISKOM, CODECO, BABS, GABRIEL. I am looking to emigrate out of South Africa.

Current on DGR as well.

Any suggesions
Regards

blue monday
5th Mar 2008, 18:56
Originally Posted by WindSheer

All the best!

Thats very true, after three years away from aviation i have got my first civie flt ops job, wasn't looking but thankfully it found me:)