PDA

View Full Version : PPL Re-issue pickle

pipergirl
21st Aug 2006, 11:35
I am just making plans for my CPL+ME/IR course at the mo..have to split the two courses due to annual leave in work, so was looking at doing my ME/IR and my night rating at the start of October...and then the CPL later in November.

In the midst of this, I just realised that my PPL is due for reissue on 12th November..which throws in a bit of a complication to say the least.

First off, what is the best way to pay the CAA as little as possible? lol
Secondly, when I send off the required bits for my PPL reissue, how long does the whole process take to receive the licence back?

Am I just better off sending the PPL off now and getting a re-issue, rather than it complicating matters for me down the road when doing CPL etc?

Thanks in advance :)

Lucifer
21st Aug 2006, 11:51
Re-Issue? Do you mean it has been beyond the 2 year period with insufficient hours? If so, re-validating examiner signs. If based on hours, show logbook to the above and again receive signature from them.

Or do you mean you are beyond the 5 year renewal period?

pipergirl
21st Aug 2006, 12:43
Sorry, wrong terminology...

I meant it is due for the 5 year renewal in November

BEagle
21st Aug 2006, 14:48
You were right the first time - it is a 're-issue'. Unfortunately some incompetent at the CAA used the wrong word (renewal) :rolleyes: , so that is where the confusion arose.

In Part IX, it will state: Validity: This licence is to be re-issued not later than......

Lucifer
21st Aug 2006, 16:29
Can you not complete the required hours before then as part of your training instead, and have it signed off as per normal?

pipergirl
21st Aug 2006, 22:15
Lucifer-
it's not that I need to do required hours etc...the licence itself has to be sent for reissue to the CAA as it's coming up to the end of the 5 year period

BigGrecian
22nd Aug 2006, 02:49
I think you'll find your stumped finicially either way - just add the ME/IR and re-validate your PPL. Then convert it to a CPL a few months later.
Other way of doing it CPL first to replace PPL then IR/ME after? I'm not going to add the figures up - I'll leave that to you - but doubt there's much in it, in the grand scheme of things.

BEagle
22nd Aug 2006, 07:56
pipergirl, unless you want to fly with passengers between Nov 12 and the date you receive your CPL, why bother to have it re-issued? The re-issue fee is £63 which seems a bit of a waste given that you will also be completing 3 expensive courses over the same period.

Your SEP Class Rating should be transferred to your CPL when you get it.

Check with the CAA, but the cheapest option might well be to let the PPL lapse on Nov 12, then send off your night, ME, IR and CPL applications together - rather than having the night, ME and IR entered in your PPL (before or after its re-issue point)....and later applying for your CPL.

Good luck with the courses!

FlyingForFun
22nd Aug 2006, 20:05
Why bother to have it re-issued? ... The cheapest option might well be to let the PPL lapse on Nov 12, then send off your night, ME, IR and CPL applications together
BEagle, that was my initial thought.

But is there a requirement to hold a PPL before starting a CPL course? LASORS says:The holder of a PPL(A) issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 (excluding the NPPL) with at least 150 hours flight time as a pilot, may commence an approved JAR CPL(A) Modular Course consisting of...
which suggests to me that if Pipergirl were to let her PPL lapse, she wouldn't be allowed to start her CPL course?

If she could get it in writing from the CAA that this is not the case, I'd agree with you that this is the way to go.

FFF
----------------

pipergirl
4th Sep 2006, 10:58
Right, so if I do my CPL course firstly (in October) and have the course/skills test completed (and passed!)...
where does this leave me in regards to doing the IR, saying I just leave the PPL to lapse..
Like, can I then start my IR course with the CPL course completed and passed, but with no PPL.
I hope that question makes sense!!!:8

pipergirl
4th Sep 2006, 11:14
I can answer my own question now!!!

I'm just going to get the bloody thing renewed to save any hassle..lady in the CAA said that the fact that I have passed the CPL course and have evidence of passing the test is not sufficient...I need to have the PPL licence in my hand (or CPL for that matter) for me to start the IR..!:rolleyes: