PDA

View Full Version : NASA revives hopes for Woomera

Buster Hyman
21st Aug 2006, 07:30
August 21, 2006 - 4:44PM

A deal between NASA and a US-based company has revived hopes that Woomera will be the launch site for rockets to supply and maintain the International Space Station (ISS).
The company, Rocketplane Kistler, announced it had secured a $272 million NASA contract to launch rockets from Woomera, in South Australia's far north.
Kistler first announced plans to use Woomera to operate re-useable rockets almost a decade ago, saying test flights were scheduled to begin in 1998. However, financial delays meant the project never got off the ground, despite Kistler's insistence it was still committed to the launches.
Kistler now intends to launch its K-1 rocket from Woomera in late 2008.
The K-1 rocket, which has not yet flown, is being designed to transport both cargo and crew to the ISS, as well as items from the outpost back to Earth.
"Our contractors are all lined up, ready to go," said Kistler spokesman Will Trafton. "We begin work on September 1."
If the project proceeds, it will give a much needed boost to Woomera, which was the scene of Australia's space industry in the 1960s and 70s.
More recently, the township became associated with the controversial Woomera detention centre, which was the scene of mass hunger strikes, protests and breakouts before it closed in 2003.
Woomera is home to about 200 residents.
It is still used for weapons trials, as well as for the launch of scientific research rockets.
NASA awarded a similar contract to US company SpaceX.
© 2006 AAP (http://www.theage.com.au/notebn/aap.html)

Woomera
21st Aug 2006, 07:57
Oh yeah!!! :}

And I thought our very own nasa was reviving hopes for Woomera........

Don't think anything could revive hope for our nasa ... or some Woomera!!

:}

Sunny Woomera

P.S. Buster. I think you made that story up! Naughty! := :=

Buster Hyman
21st Aug 2006, 08:22
WTF!:suspect:

In the highest traditions of Australian Journalistic integrity, I resemble that remark!!:suspect:

Mr. Boeing
21st Aug 2006, 10:56
I was under the impresson that Woomera's latitude was too far south for these sort of missions and that was why Cape York was being pushed. Something to do with the gravitational pull of the earth. Obviously the information that I had was incorrect.

OpsNormal
21st Aug 2006, 11:49
Oh yeah!!! :}
And I thought our very own nasa was reviving hopes for Woomera........
Don't think anything could revive hope for our nasa ... or some Woomera!!
:}
Sunny Woomera
P.S. Buster. I think you made that story up! Naughty! := :=

Nah, the mentioned contributing member of Proon is out of direct contact at the moment.... Wish he'd answer his phone!;)

Capn Bloggs
21st Aug 2006, 14:17
Kistler are a bunch of dreamers. They announced a similar hoo-har at least two years back when I started listening to NewsRadio. Stuart Garry was raving about them. Nothing happened.

Besides, there's nothing that could revive our Woomera(s)! :}

Woomera
21st Aug 2006, 17:40
Yer right Bloggs. Some of us Woomera are definately beyond redemption!! :}

The Voice
21st Aug 2006, 22:41
Woomera are definately beyond redemption

I'd attest to that! :E

Atlas Shrugged
21st Aug 2006, 23:05
Journalistic integrity

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~thesme/mypic139.gif

Pinky the pilot
22nd Aug 2006, 11:02
Besides, there's nothing that could revive our Woomera(s)!

Err, I dunno about that! I have heard it said that a glass of a good Malt Scotch/Red Wine/Beer (delete where applicable) waved under the noses of our Woomera(s) would definitely revive them!:ok: :E

Pass-A-Frozo
22nd Aug 2006, 11:09
Kistler are a bunch of dreamers. They announced a similar hoo-har at least two years back when I started listening to NewsRadio. Stuart Garry was raving about them. Nothing happened.
Besides, there's nothing that could revive our Woomera(s)! :}

Good man! Another Newsradio listener!
I'd suggest a NASA contract has a bit more substance to it though. Good luck I say. You have to admit, it would be pretty cool to fly into Woomera (pretty cool to fly into the place too :} ) and see a rocket blast off into space.