PDA

View Full Version : What are sectors?

Bart_Man
20th Aug 2006, 16:03
Hi Fellas,

Just wondering: the word "sector" gets used quite often on this site and I don't know what it means. I'm talking about "sector pay", "logging hours in empty sectors" etc...

Anyone care to explain?

Thanks,
BartMan

buttline
20th Aug 2006, 16:18
1 Sector = 1 T/O and 1 Landing - eg London to Rome

1 Rotation = there and back - eg London to Rome to London

Sector pay is based on the scheduled block time for the sector not the actual time it takes (so we don't deliberately delay to get more cash).

I'm not sure what is meant by empty sectors. It could be what's called positioning maybe? i.e. flying with no load (pax or cargo) to a destination in order to pickup a load or take the aircraft to maintenance. It's still loggable as flight duty time as normal.

Block time = off block time to on block time

Duty pay is an hourly rate received for each hour you are on duty regardless of what you are doing.

cheers

AWYRCYMRY
21st Aug 2006, 23:36
1 sector/ glasgow - cardiff
2 sector/ cardiff - cork
3 sector/ cork - prestwick

Hope this helps, a sector means when you have left one airport and arived at another that is known as 1 sector you do any more than that and then as you can see it is known as 2 sectors and so on, the amount of sectors you do will mount up till your shift has finished. EXAMPLE , "today i did six sectors and tomoro i have got another 4 so by the time i have finished i will be nakered".

DAN:cool: :cool: :cool: :ok:

Desert Budgie
22nd Aug 2006, 14:48
All explained above. Duty time normally calculated from when you enter the office (on the ground) to when you leave. Our company says we must be at briefing 1 hour before departure. The way they calculate it is no matter if you arrive 2 hours before or 30 minutes before, for the paperwork they will block you in at 1 hour before departure. Our duty ends 1 hour after arrival, even if we are in the hotel 40 minutes after we land. I believe a lot of companies are like this as rosters are calculated with very little time to spare, especially in multi sector flying. No airline wants to have an aircraft left stranded because the keen first officer decided to start his duty an hour early, ending up out of hours for the last sector home!

DB:ok:

Bart_Man
22nd Aug 2006, 15:08
Okay thanks a lot guys, that's pretty clear :)

cavortingcheetah
22nd Aug 2006, 16:43
:hmm:

The discussion raises the interesting point that a diversion is not a sector.
This can become quite important when arguing the finer points of flight duty/ sector limitations with crewing. But that's another story!:ugh:

scroggs
22nd Aug 2006, 17:03
A diversion is not a sector, but the recovery from the diversion airport to the destination is. That has significant ramifications for FTLs, especially in longhaul flying.

Scroggs