PDA

View Full Version : DX Tuners

colmac747
20th Aug 2006, 15:25
Received an email earlier from DX Tuners http://www.dxtuners.com/

We are inviting all DXTuner users to try the global DXTuner network free-to-air for a limited time.
As a valued member, you will be able to access all our radios even without a subscription.

Just spend sometime listening to Gatwick Radar:ok:

Jamie-Southend
20th Aug 2006, 16:45
Sounds great, but i cant get that link working ?:uhoh:

colmac747
20th Aug 2006, 16:52
It's definetly the correct link. I can't get the link working either now!:uhoh:
I presume the site is taking massive amount of hits at the moment (as it's free)!

colmac747
20th Aug 2006, 19:44
Link or site seems to be up and running again.:ok:

The Gatwick Radar VHF radio is busy at the mo...

http://www.dxtuners.com/servlet/IBMainServlet/?ib_page=69&radioindex=13&iw_language=en&idega_session_id=BE3FDCB669EE5601BB47CC8BBE8372BD

you'll need to register to listen in

m5dnd
20th Aug 2006, 23:32
You will have to pay also :-(

It does not say anywhere that You can listen for a limited time free ..

What gives ??..

Thanks anyway Colmac..

M5DND

Groundloop
21st Aug 2006, 08:37
By re-broadcasting ATC transmissions in the UK surely this site is breaking UK law?

colmac747
21st Aug 2006, 11:01
Late last night, the free "listening in" seemed to come to an end..haven't checked the site out today, but i guess it was just a taster for some of us who may want to pay in future.

By re-broadcasting ATC transmissions in the UK surely this site is breaking UK law?

Probably, but i'd add that 99.9& of listeners do it for fun/pleasure and are hardly deemed criminals. The phrase "turning a blind eye" is often used when airband eavesdropping:hmm:

Edit: The free offer is still there

Groundloop
21st Aug 2006, 12:35
Probably, but i'd add that 99.9& of listeners do it for fun/pleasure and are hardly deemed criminals. The phrase "turning a blind eye" is often used when airband eavesdropping:hmm:

It is one thing to listen in to an airband receiver yourself, it is completely different to re-broadcast. The law states you cannot pass on details of what you hear - surely this is what this site does - and charges for it!

MAN777
21st Aug 2006, 14:00
Live ATC has been tried before in the UK but doesnt normally stay live for long presumably due to the HO regs. However this site appears to be operating from scandinavia using NODES from all over the world, if the supplier or NODE operator can stay anon then i think the Home office would find it difficult to shut it down.

I might add that I dont support such illiegal acts. !

colmac747
21st Aug 2006, 15:22
From the horses mouth:

We often get the question if the DX-Tuner concept is legal. And it is. We are allowed to put up a scanner in any country where scanners are allowed. Site operators present their scanners to the public "un-intentionally" for a non specific frequency. As the streaming is "not intentional" of a fixed service, the site operator is not viable for any copyrights or telegraph-acts as the tuning and listening is done by others and without his knowledge.

It is merely up to the listener to take responsibility of its actions. It is the "telegraph act" in each country that applies. Almost all Telegraph acts have the same basic rule: You may not forward any messages heard on scanners to a third party.

It is one thing to listen in to an airband receiver yourself, it is completely different to re-broadcast. The law states you cannot pass on details of what you hear - surely this is what this site does - and charges for it!

Can you not recognise, that while the law is being broken, albeit, it's hardly the scale of murder, the website in question is a valuable aid to people like me (and believe me, the site has many, many members) who are generally interested in hearing Gatwick radar or Johannesburg ATC when they wouldn't otherwise be able to?

Groundloop
22nd Aug 2006, 08:19
Can you not recognise, that while the law is being broken, albeit, it's hardly the scale of murder,

Okay, so it's all right to break some laws then! Where do you draw the line as to which laws can be broken and which can't?

colmac747
22nd Aug 2006, 11:00
Considering i'm not a law graduate, judge or anything at all legal, i'd personally say it was better to airband eavesdrop (via the 'net or PC) than to commit murder...isn't that what i was already angling at?

One would suspect you are a law abiding citizen, clearly i'm not because i listen in:rolleyes:

Oh well. You carry on looking down on us mere listeners. I truly hope you don't get your kicks out of belittling people. This topic was purely posted as a good intention to fellow, likewise hobbyists, not for a hawk to pounce on it and generally berate the subject in hand..

I could have, of course, picked up the wrong end of the stick!

Groundloop
22nd Aug 2006, 12:34
I am an airband listener but I have my own scanner and don't pass on what I listen to. What I am saying is that this site DOES pass on (by rebroadcasting) and THAT is what makes it illegal.

terrain safe
22nd Aug 2006, 19:44
Please read this sticky in the ATC forums... http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=206063 . (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=206063)

It may help.