PDA

View Full Version : Fun and games at Hamilton Island

Binoculars
20th Aug 2006, 02:18
Gather round kiddies, while Uncle Binos tells a tale.

A certain island resort has race week for the grotty yachties every year about this time, and odd things are occasionally known to happen. Allegedly. This year Audi were a major sponsor and had a couple of dozen cars plastered all over the island.

And it came to pass that a certain V8 Supercar driver named, err, make it **** ***** happened to be on the island, and under cover of darkness and unknown to the airport owner, it was allegedly decided to test the capabilities of the high performance version on the 1760m runway. It was further allegedly discovered that the tyre pressures were a little wrong for the level of braking which allegedly occurred, but this discovery was made only at the time of applying the brakes from a speed in excess of 230kph, resulting in two blown front tyres.

Attached (I hope) is the alleged photographic evidence of what would have been an interesting ride. The skid marks start 225m from the runway end, another 30m across the sealed RESA, across the grass and the gravel road, and there is red paint on the rocks at the top of the rock wall into the sea. I suspect ****s may have been trumps. :ooh:

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/ferret53/Skid%20marks/

J430
20th Aug 2006, 02:54
Binos,

how about a clue, with the number of asterisks could it be a pilot and v8 driver.....maybe TK?

Must have been a funny thing at the time for someone:}

Cheers
J:ok:

Binoculars
20th Aug 2006, 03:13
My lips are sealed! (But it's not TK) :uhoh:

Hugh Jarse
20th Aug 2006, 03:18
Bino's it must have been either a bargain-basement model Audi, or the ABS failed to work :} :}

Either way, laughing my arse off:8 :}

J430
20th Aug 2006, 03:43
Binos mate,

This is a rumour site after all. Now I have another guess, BJ, may have even been an Audi Guest, remember the old days. Or DC or RK. Cant get the number of letters to match any others.

Mind you another pilot/V8 driver is dumb enough to have done it, but he has one more letter in his name.:E

Might as well let a bit slip, sooner or latter someone will know.

Ejector
20th Aug 2006, 04:32
I wonder if he had an ASIC and will now be charged with terrorism laws?

Binoculars
20th Aug 2006, 04:37
Jarse, that is a mystery I grant you, but 280 metres of skid marks tell their own tale.

J430, I repeat; I know nothing...nooo..thinnggg. I shall have to ask my good friends Bernie James, Brian Johnson, Bob Jane, Bill Jensen and Bobby Jawolski if they have any idea. Sorry I can't help you. :8

bushy
20th Aug 2006, 04:54
I think it was an italian racing driver. His name is Benzino Gasolini.

tobzalp
20th Aug 2006, 11:08
http://users.bigpond.net.au/plazbot/rfdh.jpg

Buster Hyman
20th Aug 2006, 11:23
...I get the impression that the skid marks were not limited to the tarmac!:hmm:

Howard Hughes
20th Aug 2006, 11:36
Initials MS fit the asterisks just nicely!
What about TK, RK or BJ...:ooh:

J430
20th Aug 2006, 12:17
Hi there Howard,

Skaife is 6 letters not 5. MS is a bit more sensible than that. The one I expect to be that silly is a Queenslander who cant drive out of sight on a dark night, begins with P ****** but my guess earlier might just be the one I mentioned earlier who also has an old affiliation with Audi (as did the aforementioned Qlder) His name fits the bill, just I thought he was older and smarter than that.

He might need some BOC bucks to pay for it!!!!

Really would like old Uncle Bino's to share some of his knowlege with us.

Cheers

B A Lert
20th Aug 2006, 12:23
Might the driver have been AG, a Queenslander to boot? And not the Attorney-General!

J430
20th Aug 2006, 12:30
If Bino's would confirm the numebr of letters we might have a chance but AG is a 4 letter surname.

Come on Bino's......throw us a crumb!

B A Lert
20th Aug 2006, 12:38
..... AG is a 4 letter surname......

Not the AG I have in mind: fiirst name four letters, surname five. BTW, this AG's a retired V8 driver.

Howard Hughes
20th Aug 2006, 18:58
Skaife is 6 letters not 5.
Good point!!;)
Spelling and counting don't seem to be my strong points!!:hmm:

Sunfish
20th Aug 2006, 23:13
This behaviour sounds consistent with the usual tone of Hammy Island Race week. Done the series myself. My liver has refused to let me do another one.

Pappa Smurf
20th Aug 2006, 23:17
Being an Audi,and if it wasnt knocked off by someone else ,i would put my money on BJ

BEACH KING
21st Aug 2006, 01:07
Ah yes. Its all starting to fit....

BJ was missing from the BigPond Panelbeaters show last week.

Wonder where he was?

TinDriver
21st Aug 2006, 01:42
I've been watching this thread and wondered:
Hasn't Bino's "already told us" the name anyway??? Maybe not using the actual name per se, but with his reference to asking his mates all with the strikingly similar initials :} ..............Bernie James, Brian Johnson, Bob Jane, Bill Jensen and Bobby Jawolski.
Seems to me, we sometimes can't see the forest for the tree's.......or is that the other way around?:rolleyes:

Binoculars
21st Aug 2006, 02:31
At last! I thought you guys were supposed to be smart? sheesh!

Woomera
21st Aug 2006, 02:48
From the look of the skid marks, he was running Bob Jane All Rounder tyres!!

:}

TinDriver
21st Aug 2006, 02:50
Smart???

You're kidding right? That's why I became a pylut...........:}

J430
21st Aug 2006, 03:22
Well Uncle Bino,

I was pretty sure I was on the money, all you had to confirm where the *** were the correct count. So were you there???? Did you see the car??? And one wonders what the ABS was doing, unless that was one really long Handbrakey!!!!:} Maybe something else failed and that was the handbrake jammed on.:eek:

I was at QR one day (private day) and CL put a road going Betta Electrical promo car off the end of the back straight, through the gravel trap and up the bank at the end. car was not so good! And all the handbrake did was slow the crash speed a little.

someone must have some pics

Cheers

PS B A Lert: old Gricey would never do such a thing:}

gaunty
21st Aug 2006, 03:55
Well if I'd a bin around I would have checked all the Audis driver seats for pucker marks. They would have been impressive since it is clear the driver et al would not have been sure that they weren't going for a bit of a swim until quite late in the exercise, given that once off the runway their Cgrip or -delta 'a' would have been >= 0:E

Sunfish
21st Aug 2006, 04:37
I wonder if all those airbags would keep it afloat?

J430
21st Aug 2006, 09:54
Well I wonder if good old BJ manage to land it on its roof.

He ha done that to a Ozemail and BOC liveried Falcon on a few occassions before.:}

Surely Bino's has some photo's, someone must......come on fess up!

TruBlu351
26th Aug 2006, 14:30
I just had a look at those skid marks the other day. I'm sure they're not the only set he created either!! :}

When you see just how close he camed to launching off the rocks into the water....he's one LUCKY person.

Not a handbrake problem as towards the end, it's all 4 wheels locking up.

Sunfish
27th Aug 2006, 00:39
I've made enquiries and an acquaintance in the V8 racing world is going to get the details. Also various folk are returning from Hammy this week. I'll post what I find out.

gyro
27th Aug 2006, 03:45
Interesting pics Bino...... as are some of the other ones on bucket. Like the camel.

Jet Jockey
27th Aug 2006, 06:19
Just spoke to my folks up on Hammo racing and they tell me. Professional driver was racing a helicopter down the rwy for a car commercial and wrote the car off on end of rwy.

Binoculars
27th Aug 2006, 10:06
Your friends in "Hammo racing" whatever that is, speak with forked tongue. My information, and I did not see the car myself, is that there was minimal damage to the car, as would be expected from sliding slowly on to one rock leaving a few specks of red paint.
The "official" shooting of the ad the next evening with the helicopter was by all accounts a dud, especially since the replacement car was black. :)

Edited to add, Thanks for your input in the following post Woomera. I decided it wasn't worthy of a response.

ur2
27th Aug 2006, 21:17
I think he means they were there for the Hammo race week.

Errrm raceing (sic), is spelt without the "e", yatchs (sic) :rolleyes: and it is not necessary to call Bino's an "idiot". Please thimk carfully before you post. :) Woomera.

BEACH KING
28th Aug 2006, 02:59
Just heard from a mate who was on the Island at the time. The big brake lockup was (according to him) due to the grooved runway surface. Seems like the ABS system couldn't cop it and started "bunny hopping" on the grooves and flat spotted the tyres until they burst.
He said it looked pretty spectacular with smoke, sparks, noise and other good stuff like that