PDA

View Full Version : TRUCE

radarman
19th Aug 2006, 11:34
Colleague of mine recently back from a Union bash says he was chatting to someone from a major NATS unit, who said that they didn't bother with TRUCE as they were too busy. As LCE I can't see how they can get away with this, as it is mandated in the CAP 744, and annual competency checks require the LCE to confirm the date TRUCE was completed. It was probably a misunderstanding, but I would be interested to hear how other units approach TRUCE. Is it spread throughout the year on an opportunity basis, or is a specific week set aside? How thorough is it? Any comments please.

360BakTrak
19th Aug 2006, 14:46
Ours is spread through out the year......I don't believe SRG like it being crammed in to one week before competency. I suppose it kind of defeats the object if your a bit rusty for the 9 months leading up to a TRUCE week!

happ1ness
19th Aug 2006, 18:20
Surely TRUCE isn't all done during operational duties?
Table top exercises, Liaison visits, can all be done away from the operational position. Surely no matter how busy a unit is TRUCE is a requirement for all?

Standard Noise
21st Aug 2006, 05:25
The only point to TRUCE visits is going off down the rub-a-dub after for a nice bit of nosh (on the exes, natch). Lovely chaps at Exeter and Cardiff sent us to nice little hostelries. Marvellous! As for Swanwick, you lot need to brush up on yer 'hostess with the mostess' bit or I'm not doing a TRUCE to your place again. Starbucks my a**e!
Lyneham and Yeovilton take note, yer on my 2006/07 fixture list!

AlanM
21st Aug 2006, 07:41
Liasion visits??!? Lucky you.

I Can't even get visits to the airfields that I put planes on the ILS for.

:ugh: :*

Beetlejuice
21st Aug 2006, 09:27
Colleague of mine recently back from a Union bash says he was chatting to someone from a major NATS unit, who said that they didn't bother with TRUCE as they were too busy. As LCE I can't see how they can get away with this, as it is mandated in the CAP 744, and annual competency checks require the LCE to confirm the date TRUCE was completed.

Wouldn't be the first time "accommodations" were made to suit "a major NATS Unit" !

tribekey
21st Aug 2006, 18:50
Interesting this, at our unit Truce is largely done as and when staff are available and is fully documented and checked during the annual inspection by s.r.g. with a very fine tooth comb! Yet, i have also heard from a few Nats controllers that they 'don't bother' or 'nobody checks'. Now maybe there's a certain amount of bluff going on but it does seem the rules are not uniformly enforced.
As for how we do it, the non assessed truce(minimum of two hours annually) usually comprises lliason visits,video documentaries, annual A.F.S exercises etc.
The assessed truce (another two hours minimum) is achieved with table top exercises, simulated emergencies by pilots(e.g. practicing speechless procedures or pilot incapacitation)or simulated equipment failure.

Spitoon
21st Aug 2006, 19:58
......... it does seem the rules are not uniformly enforced.
No, surely not!

airac
21st Aug 2006, 21:17
Christ ,Thats unusual Can i log it?:ok:

Standard Noise
21st Aug 2006, 21:43
Liasion visits??!? Lucky you.
I Can't even get visits to the airfields that I put planes on the ILS for.
:ugh: :*

Ah, yer obviously sh**gin' the wrong people!:}

Gonzo
21st Aug 2006, 22:09
And yet you blag a week at LF. During show week. And the odd egg whisk flight. Methinks you're not doing too bad, Mossman!:cool:

AlanM
21st Aug 2006, 23:13
:= Gonzo.... you stalking me again?!?!

SN - too true mate

Gonzo
22nd Aug 2006, 05:52
Again? Never stopped mate.......:suspect:

AlanM
22nd Aug 2006, 06:51
I am now very scared. (or was seeing Bomber back over at the coalface more scarey??!?!) :)

SN - I am working on alternatives mate.

Talkdownman
22nd Aug 2006, 18:49
it does seem the rules are not uniformly enforced.It doesn't just 'seem'. They are most certainly not uniformly enforced. I think I'll come with you Alan......:ugh:

PPRuNe Radar
23rd Aug 2006, 00:26
Before we wander off down other roads ... liaison visits, fam flights, etc, are not TRUCE ;)

Standard Noise
23rd Aug 2006, 07:18
Before we wander off down other roads ... liaison visits, fam flights, etc, are not TRUCE ;)

Actually PPRuNe, in the UK, you are allowed to count one liason visit towards your TRUCE training each year, as long as the visit is relevant to your unit. If you manage to get a free lunch out of it, well all the better. If you con the unit training officer into counting two liasons a year toward your total, then you're laughing.

Beetlejuice
23rd Aug 2006, 10:10
I agree with you, Noise. Good God! You've got to get your four hours in somehow and having a cup of coffee with the airline for a couple of hours at least satisfies the requirement!

PPRuNe Radar
23rd Aug 2006, 12:30
OK, I'll buy it that a liaison visit can provide some of the reference and training material for TRUCE (the CAA's own words ;) ), but you still have to carry out some practical training in recognising and handling unusual and emergency situations which is assessed (again, according to the CAA).

The TRUCE you receive should include at least 4 hours of training dedicated to improving technique or practical skills. This must include either the use of simulators, practice drills, or simulated aircraft emergencies.

If units are claiming to get this through liaison visits alone, then their SRG Inspectors aren't up to much (particularly as they will have to have approved the TRUCE training plan in the first place) :ok:

Standard Noise
25th Aug 2006, 13:24
Aah, I see where you have become confused PPRuNe, we actually complete an average of 10 hours a year each at Bristol, comprised of all the elements you mentioned, but that doesn't stop us knobbing off round the other units to get the hours up.