PDA

View Full Version : Australia - Honolulu: what is the truth?

Mel Bourne
18th Aug 2006, 09:46
Earlier this week, Jetstar announced that it would start flying to Honolulu. The Jetstar CEO is his press statement said
1. they would operate Sydney-Honolulu (3 per week) and Melbourne-Honolulu (2 per week) services initially with a fleet of 303 seat Airbus A330-200 - subject to regulatory approval blah blah blah.
2. “Qantas will continue to operate 3 times weekly Sydney-Honolulu services upon Jetstar’s start-up of 5 weekly services split across both Sydney and Melbourne markets,”.

Is point 2 true, or is it spin pending the successful application for full ETOPS by Jetstar? It would appear that Jetstar will be operating YSSY-PHNL on the same days as Qantas with only a couple of hours between their flights. The Jetstar flight numbers seen are exactly the same as those used by Qantas.

Also, Jetstar will be offering an additional 1,515 seats a week between Australia and PHNL. How can the outbound market support a significant increase like this without a bloodbath and as a consequence, a couple of players will take their bats and balls home?

Are we being told the whole truth? What else is news I s'pose if the opposite is the case?

Ron & Edna Johns
18th Aug 2006, 12:20
F**k knows what's going on. A 767 mate of mine told me tonight that he's got to get a US visa since they start HNL flying in November. So, Classic out, and B767 + Jetstar in? :confused:

puff
18th Aug 2006, 13:31
Do flightcrew require a visa for USA? AFAIK aussies travelling to the US with a machine readable passport operate on the visa waiver, but that could differ for flightcrew.

Buster Hyman
18th Aug 2006, 14:04
Hmmm 767 eh? Reduce QF capacity on the route and force the punters onto Jetstar...

"I have a cunning plan M'Lord...":hmm:

ozskipper
18th Aug 2006, 17:39
Yes, you do need a visa... a C1/D which is a crew visa. The visa waiver program is for holiday makers / short business trips only.

Ron & Edna Johns
18th Aug 2006, 22:56
Correct re the crew visa. And from what I understand the process of getting the visa from the US Consulates is extremely frustrating - courtesy of American paranoia and xenophobia in this brave new world. And whilst Aussie holiday-makers are exempt and don't need to go through the process, those untrustworthy crew do.

The Yanks should just ban foreign pilots from being on the flight-decks of aircraft flying into the States. Be simpler and "safer". but I really shouldn't speak my mind out loud - some one might take that idea up......

Trashed Aviator
19th Aug 2006, 07:17
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5946593973848835726

Watch this and ask why the yanks are paranoid, seems like they should only fear themselves.....

murgatroid
19th Aug 2006, 07:34
They will simply code share on the route.

You buy a Qantas ticket and turn up to fly on J*

Make sure you bring some change for the pillow and blanket. Remember, the F/A's are on commission, so the cabin temp will be set cold.

Led Zep
19th Aug 2006, 09:47
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5946593973848835726

Watch this and ask why the yanks are paranoid, seems like they should only fear themselves.....

Don't want to send this thread OT, but that video is a good watch. Takes a while to load however. Makes you wonder. :uhoh:

Chimbu chuckles
19th Aug 2006, 12:37
Hey Mel you're not the real Mel Bourne are you?

The real 'Mel Bourne' is a mate of mine and also an airline pilot...having used that 'stage name' to put himself through flying school...I drove Taxis...I think his idea was better:E

Callicutt Kid
20th Aug 2006, 17:16
Heard a rumour that Qf are going to run the 767 to HNL so inreality the spruking of addtional seats to the aloha state is really a bit misleading.two airline policy owned by going offshore.you be pissed off to rock up to qf flight be be on *star and forgot ya pillow and thermos.!!OH yeh Chimbu the man known as Mel Bourne still operating in the old country for the national carrier now a skipper on the dash .
lukim

the kid