View Full Version : ADS-B info

Flogged Horse
18th Aug 2006, 07:17
Gidday all,

First post here, however have been having a read here and there for around 2 years.

I'm doing a B ********and have to produce a final thiesis on any topic of my choice. I have chosen ADS-B and its implementation in Australia. My knowledge of this topic is poor however after speaking to a few lecturers they have had mixed emotions about this technology. Basically I'm after as much info as possible regarding the technology itself, its implementation and what that means in terms of traffic control procedures, any personal comments to help me see as many sides to this story as possible. I'm of course going through the journals however, if you have seen a good article somewhere about anything ADS-B if you could throw a link onto this thread. Also if anyone is personally part of a program that is ADS-B related i would love to hear from you in a PM or email.

Thanks for all your help,

FH

Soulman
18th Aug 2006, 07:41
This (http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/pilotcentre/projects/adsb/default.asp) should get you started. :ok:

Soulman.

Bob Murphie
18th Aug 2006, 10:29
I think you may be flogging a dead horse, and I also think low level ADSB, as a subject, has been sent to the low level Aussie cleaners for the time being.

You may be better advised to concentrate on the mating habits of the Banded Morwong of which I and a few others could give you some pointers.

Notwithstanding this, I am sure someone will give you some "good advice".

Woomera
29th Aug 2006, 07:54
Returned thread.

Sunny Woomera

Shitsu_Tonka
29th Aug 2006, 11:57
Putting the political arguments aside (and there are very big stakes in those camps), and focussing on the technical sides, go to www.civilair.asn.au and log on to the public forums. You will find a few very well informed controllers who have been charged with implementing this very complex system in to the airspace model.

In fact most of them also post and view here - but are probably reluctant to post for the likelihood of getting hijacked by the 'politicians' who hang out here.

It is pretty obvious that ADS-Broadcast is a great system, especially for a country the size of Australia and our spread out air traffic. Like any large infrastructure proposal the cost-benefit analysis (and who does it) will decide, however, where and to whom it is implemented. Airlines are large organisations with high budget lobbying power. GA is relatively small - and poor.

This is where the politics comes in - and it appears to be responsibile for the apparent shift of vision from a 'radar-like' low level countrywide coverage, to something now being prioritised at the higher bands of airspace - and those that live there!

The arguments you hear about 'security concerns' emit from, and belong on, the periphery, in my view. They are a smokescreen hiding another agenda - even if a confused one.

Flogged Horse
29th Aug 2006, 12:16
Thanks to all for giving me a start. Both links are exactly what I'm after. I don't know enough about the system, the way it will be implemented or any other political agendas involved. My report is purely technical and is aiming at finding how this tech will fit into the current airspace model.

If anyone else has anymore sources or could offer any other info, please post here or PM me if you have reservations about commenting in a public forum.

Thanks again,

FH

Tacan400
29th Aug 2006, 22:16
****su

the cost benefit study WAS done and done very well- go to www.astra.aero (http://www.astra.aero) and follow the ABIT links.

Just goes to show you can have all your ducks in a row and someone can come and shoot them, will we ever be rid of the b*****d?

Aviation policy/DOTARS is a complete laughing stock (if you've got past the tears) in Canberra.

Flogged Horse, Australia was putting in place a world-leading (oh but isn't that risky, not) system until the highest politics got in the way.

And now that DOTARS is setting themselves up to control airspace policy, it will never be done the way it needs to be.