View Full Version : Instrument Rating

Wanderin_dave
18th Aug 2006, 03:14
So it's now coming up to the time for me to go to the bank man and beg for the money to do my IREX and MECIR.
Just got a couple of quick questions. Are there any mobs out there (Direct Air at Essendon in mind with all the places they fly up north) that will give work to a capable pilot at the end of the course?
Does anyone have any experience of good places to do it? Melb preferably, but anywhere east coast.
Any tips on a/c to go for? I would guess C310 or Baron would be the way to go, Seneca?

Aussie
18th Aug 2006, 03:56
Ive heard great things from mates who did there IFR training at Johnstons Aviation at Port Macquarie... they do it on a Baron!

Aussie

Di_Vosh
18th Aug 2006, 05:14
They are based in Hamilton, Victoria.

You can do your MECIR, plus a Chieftain endo, plus some ICUS. Unlikely you'll get a job, but you'll get good Chieftain time (i.e. lots of instrument approaches, due to our FANTASTIC victorian weather).

DIVOSH!

Mr.Buzzy
18th Aug 2006, 05:19
Hi Wanderin Dave,
there is a myth floating about that says that you need to do your MECIR entirely in a twin engined aeroplane. There are plenty of pimply faced instructors at city aero clubs that are in no hurry to inform you otherwise; after all, more multi hours in their logbook or in the more senior instructors logbook and the closer they all get to the "nirvana of airlines"

Do your homework. Know the CAO's regarding requirements for the issue of the MECIR and shop about KNOWING what you want.
Don't wander into a school and be told that "this is how we do things here" Thats bollox! You are the customer, so politely outline your requirements.

Ask for short, high workload flights. Whats the point in belting out IFR to West NSW when there are plenty of NDBs close to Sydney? Im sure some instructors will tell you that long legs are a great opportunity to discuss the finer points of the IFR, once again remind them politely that so is a briefing room and you are more than willing to pay for briefing time if required.

Remember that some of your rating can be done in a synthetic trainer, so get onto a good trainer and get busy in the box before you start burning fuel.

When you are ready to go flying, go flying in a single! Get your "ducks in a row" then do your last few exercises in the big buck machine. ie twin.

Sorry to say it but there is f*&kall training going on at present so it really is a customers market. Unless you have wads of money to hand out, I'd be going against the grain a little but at least showing the initiative to take your training as "your training"

regards
Buzzy

bbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzz

Capt. Crocodile
18th Aug 2006, 07:53
I got stuffed around a lot at Bankstown by various operators. I've heard good things about Johnston Aviation in Coffs as well but haven't been there. Baron's a good plane to know as a few operators use them. I haven't heard of anyone that offers a job after you do an instrument rating with them.

Wingsfalloff
18th Aug 2006, 10:27
Ready to leave the bay already Dave?

Ratshit
18th Aug 2006, 11:01
1) Personally I would rather do IF in an aeroplane than a box any day - once you have learned what you are trying to do

2) Easier to IF in a Baron than a C172 - cause the Baron stays where you put it and is much less affected by lumps and bumps.

Tried to do a renewal in a C172 once - had to give it the flick and go get a Baron

3) I did my IR in a Baron - but have done a couple of renewals in a Duchess. Flys like a Beech - OK if you fly it right - good training and cheaper

4) Make sure you get some real-time IF with an experienced instructor - quite different from sitting under a hood on a nice day

5) 310 is a good workhorse but not as friendly to a pilot on an IR test as the Baron

R:cool:

Wanderin_dave
19th Aug 2006, 00:18
Thanks for the info everyone, as always on here some great info in there.
Sent you a PM Wingsfalloff.

Schmoostyler
20th Aug 2006, 09:47
I did my MECIR in a seminole. Not the most widley used aircraft in GA. It was a brand new one at MFS. Had a fantastic time, the flying school, and the instructors there are great. Even now, living in Darwin, *if* i get the opportunity I'd go back and do my renewals with them.

Flying out of MB, even whilst doing navexs, I think, in the 25 hours I did in the seminole, I sat in the cruise with not much to do, only once, and for 5 minutes. They keep the workload up, and keep you on your toes.

It's a pretty big workload, when you're new to it, getting airborne at MB on a day just on takeoff minimums (which happens a lot in winter, in melbourne, which was great for training when i did it) and a few minutes later your at Plenty going down the EN ILS.

I also got to know the Wonthaggi and LaTrobe valley VOR and NDBs really well. The point is, that there is no need to do any cruise flight, travelling from one place to another for any great length of time.

Having said that, it was one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. It's a shame I'm not current on anything any more, having only done the rating 4 months ago. Ohhhhh wellllllll :)

Riding the Goat
11th Sep 2006, 10:13
Dave and all you other new CPL's. Don't bother with the MECIR yet, it'll cost about 12 grand and with only 150-200 hrs in the log won't help you one bit in getting a job. Most operators won't let you touch their twins with less then 500 TT due to insurance reasons and they want you to have some experience. Secondly you'll probably then need to fork out more cash to keep it current or let it lapse and have to sit a renewal some time down the track. Personal opinion get out there, get a job in a single, build some hours, pay off some debt, get a feel and some contacts in the industry then in 12-18 months when your looking for a twin job get your MECIR.

As for NAT, personal experience, steer clear!!! Reasons being 1, only had 1 duchess that had a tendency to break (for long periods) 2, very ad hoc and random syllabus (read as no planning, idea of what was next) 3, attitude of give us your money first then we might give you some training and 4, realy bad vibe amongst instructors. This was about 6 months ago so may have changed. Have heard good things from people that have attended Johnston Aviation and also Ad Astral (Perth, WA).

It has been done to death on this site but please don't fall into the trap of thinking that because you part with large amounts of cash to get ICUS time on a twin you will get a job at the end of it. Have known several people that sat in Darwin at Direct Air not getting any ICUS for a long time (plus no income) and no prospect of a job at the end of it. So buyer beware.