PDA

View Full Version : WestJet - looking for information

FourGreens
17th Aug 2006, 13:15
Hello PPrune'rs,

I would like some information on WestJet as to how the schedules are, what pay to expect, social life, time to upgrade, basing policy, and anything else you think is wirth mentioning - good or bad. If anybody would care to point me in a different direction, don't hesitate either.

I am looking to convert my JAA ATPL to a Canadian one in order to be able to apply over there, but before I start all that again, I would like to know if there is a good chance that it will work out. Current on EMB145 and B737 CL/NG. So, any info would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

FourGreens

20driver
17th Aug 2006, 14:02
Suggest you review and post this in the Canadian forum. The big issue is getting the legal right to work in Canada. If you not born with it or marry it it is very tough to get.
Good luck
20driver

royalterrace
17th Aug 2006, 14:24
FourGreens
Crew base is Calgary. Having said that we are in the process of employing a "port system" which essentially allows you to start your pairings in either Vancouver or Toronto. Pairings are anywhere from a 1day -5day with the majority being 4days. Guaranteed 14 days off this year going to 15 next year.
Time to upgrade...always tricky but I would guess 5yrs right now. We have almost 700 pilots and should be up to 1000 by 2009. The pay issue is even trickier...it is composed of base pay , profit share , stock plan and options. I have been here almost 7 yrs and have made between 80k and 220k.
Best company I have ever worked for. The best way to sum it up...instead of no we can't do that...it's let's find a way. We have hired pilots from all over the world. Nationality would be a non issue.

FourGreens
22nd Aug 2006, 15:49
20Driver:
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I checked with immigration - should not be that much of a problem - if I can get a permanent job offer. That's usually where the catch22 is.

RoyalTerrace:
Thanks for the positive angle provided. Seems like a good company. Time to upgrade seems OK to me - for me now looks like 8 years, and then to EMB145 or Q400... Not the best prospect. I'll geive them a call, see what they say about the immigration thing. Thanks.