PDA

View Full Version : The "Old" Stig.. where has he gone??

Pan Pan Splash
16th Aug 2006, 09:14
Found him, gotta say though, the job is a step down...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/Flytest/Stig.jpg

Barkly1992
16th Aug 2006, 11:48
As an avid fan of Top Gear - watching both on Oz Tv old programs and BBC World current ones, I like everyone else wants to speculate on who is the STIG.

My offer is Damon Hill.

:confused:

ronnie3585
16th Aug 2006, 11:49
Lord Lucan:confused:

Buster Hyman
16th Aug 2006, 11:51
Cilla Black?

G-CPTN
16th Aug 2006, 12:04
"The Stig" (whose real identity was revealed in a News of the World sting to be Bob Willis)
http://www.sfxsports.co.uk/biogs_other.asp?BiogID=202
Apparently, the Daily Express has revealed the identity of 'The Stig' from Top Gear. They claim it to be ex Formula 1/BTCC racing driverJulian Bailey.
In the first 21 episodes, it was former F1 driver Perry McCarthy, and the latest is probably the very legendary Nigel Mansell.
As recently as the last season of Top Gear (2005) Stig was Ben Collins, although they may have replaced him for this current series

Pan Pan Splash
16th Aug 2006, 12:31
I'm reliably informed there are several (as many as 5 "Stig's")

Julian Bailley, Ben Collins and Allan McNish to name but 3. Damon has also been seen regularly down at Dunsfold, so he is another possibilty. McNish apparently was brought in initially to pedal the F1 cars as Renault F1 wouldn't allow a "lesser" qualified pilot loose in their pride and joy. Bailley and Collins are both regular test drivers for various TV shows and magazines.

This one has been done before, but in short, Top Gear decided to have several Stigs since Mr McCarthy developed a bit of a following and tried to cash in on it. Its the old adage, make more of them, and the value drops!!

Mr Lexx
16th Aug 2006, 12:49
McNish apparently was brought in initially to pedal the F1 cars

Ah, one did wonder why the speeds seem to be dropping in F1, nothing to do with the tyres then?

I Am Not The One
16th Aug 2006, 12:52
There may well be five STIG's, but if one reverses the letters of their names.... perhaps they are just a bunch of "GITS?" ;)

jindabyne
16th Aug 2006, 12:53
Stig was the first guy to fly Gripen -----

G-CPTN
16th Aug 2006, 12:57
Whilst I appreciate that choice of tyres is important, I'm dismayed that current races seem to be being lost (or won) almost entirely by the choice of tyres. Shouldn't they all be running on a 'standard' compound (Dunlop R5? ;-) rather than super-special experimental mixes of which they have several flavours for each race/circuit? Why limit engine development, yet still allow unlimited tyre experimentation?

G-CPTN
16th Aug 2006, 13:00
Isn't 'Stig' a popular Swedish forename?

Halfbaked_Boy
16th Aug 2006, 13:13
The current Stig actually comes round ours for dinner on occasions and is a good friend of the family. Nobody here has mentioned him yet ;)

Cheers, Jack.

Flip Flop Flyer
16th Aug 2006, 14:30
Jinda

Kudos there mate:

1988 December
The 9th December sees Gripen’s first flight. The test pilot was Stig Holmström.

G-TN

Indeed, a rather common name. And not unheard of in motor racing either, Stig Blomquist drove rather fast in various rally cars.

patdavies
16th Aug 2006, 15:52
"and the latest is probably the very legendary Nigel Mansell.

Nah, the current Stig is too thin to be Nigel Mansell - and he doesn't moan enough

Paranoid Parrot
16th Aug 2006, 16:44
The latest Stig is unlikely to be a formula 1 driver. Whenever an F1 driver drives the 'reasonably priced' car they follow a completely different line to the Stig. He is more likely to be a rally driver.

Mercenary Pilot
16th Aug 2006, 16:56
Shouldn't they all be running on a 'standard' compound
They will all be running on standard supplied Bridgestone compounds next year. :ok:

MadsDad
16th Aug 2006, 17:22

He was also one of the first people to fly a road-going SAAB.

The legendary Mr. Blomqvist.

G-CPTN
16th Aug 2006, 19:30
But it was Carlsson (not he of the Flying Enterprise) who did a 360 degree barrel roll (continuing unhindered) in the SAAB 95.

MadsDad
16th Aug 2006, 20:39
But Carlsson's not a Stig.

And Stig got pulled for doing 70 in a 3-wheeler SAAB on the A1. (He'd had a front tire flat on the stage and they weren't carrying a spare so they just took the flat front tire off, lobbed it into the bushes, put one of the back tires on the front, finished the stage and headed off to service a few miles down the A1. The copper let them go with the words "I wouldn't mind so much except you were driving more safely than the rest of the idiots out there").

Gouabafla
16th Aug 2006, 20:47
Did someone tidy up the dump?