PDA

View Full Version : I'm a big fan of Slow Cooking......

Rollingthunder
16th Aug 2006, 08:40
But is there any good, really good fast food? Fish and Chips perhaps from a good chippie.

Parapunter
16th Aug 2006, 08:42
The search function is your...oh never mind.

Black pudding. Grilled in five minutes & stuffed in a buttery toasted sandwich with lashings of ketchup. I was put here to eat them.

got banned
16th Aug 2006, 08:44
I've got one of those slow-cooker things- but all the food tastes a bit watery- how are you meant to thicken up the sauce ?

Good fast food- can't wack a bit of cheese on toast.

Rollingthunder
16th Aug 2006, 08:46
Noted.

But on the high street, needing a quick lunch, going through the damned airport etc? Food on the run. Even the Cornish Pastie Co. serves up dry pastry thingies.

green granite
16th Aug 2006, 08:48
I've got one of those slow-cooker things- but all the food tastes a bit watery- how are you meant to thicken up the sauce ?

Try stiring in some roux just before it finishes cooking :ok:

got banned
16th Aug 2006, 09:05
Cheers gg I'll try that.

Really good fast food- find a proper kebab parlour- with a tandori oven and proper meat/chicken. (Non of this hospital waste processed reclaimed rubbish).

Freshly made nan, salad, squeeze of lemon juice. Tasty and pretty healthy.

May I recommend the Caspian in Altrincham, about 10 mins away from EGCC.

Failing that, a meatball mariner 12" on wheat from the Subway is an alternative.

GuppyEng.com
16th Aug 2006, 09:57
Find a nice pie and mash shop.
Failing that a greasy donor with lashings of chilli sauce.

Farrell
16th Aug 2006, 10:33
There really is nothing in the world to take the place of the good old Bristish caf.

Liver and onions with gravy, peas and mashed potatoes, slices of buttered bread and a steaming mug of tea........

.....oh I have to get back there now!!

phnuff
16th Aug 2006, 10:47
I always regard stuff cooked in a wok as fast food, after all if you are frying in one, things cook PDQ and even using it for boiling seems to get fast results. Therefor I nominate most of the Chinese/Thai etc. food available in the UK and of course a damned good Balti or similar :D

Burgers on the other hand :yuk:

G-CPTN
16th Aug 2006, 12:47
Pizza.
And for desert? Another pizza.
(I'm talking about genuine pizza-oven pizza, NOT the 'fast-food' outlets serving soggy bread discs.)

djk
16th Aug 2006, 13:22
My sister once bought me a slow cooker, great thing it was. I could cook a lasagne in 5 hours :rolleyes:

G-CPTN
16th Aug 2006, 13:31
The benefit(s) of a slow cooker:-
It uses low-wattage electricity and cooks slowly (good for making poor quality meat tender).
It can be set to (safely) cook a meal whilst you are out at work. A lamb hot-pot is ideal.

Howard Hughes
16th Aug 2006, 14:20
Try stirring in some roux just before it finishes cooking :ok:
Don't all good sauces start with a roux? Surely this is arse about?:E

G-CPTN
16th Aug 2006, 14:24
In slow-cooking you start with little fluid, relying on the juices sweating out of the meat and vegetables.

got banned
16th Aug 2006, 14:28
'scuse my ignorance, but isn't a roux a white sauce made from flour and butter? If so, doesn't the liquid have to boil in order for the flour molecules to expand ?

LongWayHome
16th Aug 2006, 15:01
Hey Got Banned!

Give cornstarch or arrowroot a try (1 Tbsp of dry to 1 Tbsp of water), no lumps, or alternately you can thicken with a splash of cream.

Hope this helps.

Bill

got banned
16th Aug 2006, 15:06
cheers long way I;ll give it a go

green granite
16th Aug 2006, 15:42
A roux is mearly a mixture of flour and fat (usually butter) that is added to a liquid to thicken it, that liquid can be what ever you want to use to make your sauce/gravy with, basically it just stops the flour from going lumpy which it can do if you add it to the liquid in its powder form.:ok:

Blacksheep
16th Aug 2006, 15:57
Good fast food? Proper noodles. Can't beat it.

Soften some rice vermicelli in boiling water. While it softens, stir fry (in peanut oil) a handful of chopped shallots, some garlic, a couple of slices of ginger. Add some shredded chicken and shrimps (best if the tail shells are left on). Season with salt and pepper to taste and toss the mixture together, until the shrimps are done, add a good dash of soy sauce then add the vermicelli, some bean sprouts and a handful of chopped spring onions. Stir together to mix the noodles with the filling and Bob's your uncle - or more likely, Ah Tan's your uncle - Mee Hoon Goreng in four minutes. Serve with some chopped chillies soaked in soy sauce.

Kuey Teow - wet or dry, "Flied Lice", "Scurry" - all done within less than five minutes of reaching the kitchen, every one delicious, cheap and healthy. :ok:

phnuff
16th Aug 2006, 16:21
I suspect that rather than a roux, what is meant is "beurre marnie" which is a cold equal mixture of butter and flour which is added to sauces at the end and which apart from thickening, adds a wonderfull shine to the finished product. It's loved by television chefs

The roux is the heated stuff used as a starting point for so many sauces

madherb
16th Aug 2006, 18:02
Definition: A roux is a mixture of butter and flour, cooked until bubbly. It can be browned very deeply, then used as the basis for etouffe and brown sauce. If not browned at all, it is the base of bechamel, veloute, or white sauce. By cooking the flour in the butter, the starch granules in the flour begin to break. Then when liquid is added, the granules absorb the liquid, thickening the sauce.

Pronunciation: roo • (noun) (as in KANGA)

And it's French!! (Ducks back into air-raid cellar with bottle of Dom) :ok:

G-CPTN
16th Aug 2006, 18:21
"Flied Lice", "Scurry" - all done within less than five minutes of reaching the kitchen, every one delicious, cheap and healthy. :ok:
Doesn't 'fried rice' have to be boiled FIRST?

Capn Notarious
16th Aug 2006, 18:26
How many links can we make between Slow Cooking and Aviation
Yer could switch it on in the morning, do a there and back to The Canary Islands: hours later Roberta is yer Aunt and dinner ready.

LongWayHome
16th Aug 2006, 18:32
You are 100 % correct! {Don't forget (cold rice), much better for stir fry, et al...}

Cook up a batch, bring it down to temp, place in fridge. Next day, your ready to rock...

I apologize for the food science, starch combine business (honestly I knew it for the test!!) Don't fool with something that works...

Bill

Rollingthunder
16th Aug 2006, 18:36
Minor correction. Slow cookers are great but what I should have said was SLOW FOOD.

"Founded by Carlo Petrini in Italy in 1986, Slow Food is an international association that promotes food and wine culture, but also defends food and agricultural biodiversity worldwide.

It opposes the standardisation of taste, defends the need for consumer information, protects cultural identities tied to food and gastronomic traditions, safeguards foods and cultivation and processing techniques inherited from tradition and defend domestic and wild animal and vegetable species.

Slow Food boasts 83,000 members worldwide and offices (in order of creation) in Italy, Germany, Switzerland, the USA, France, Japan, and Great Britain."

LongWayHome
16th Aug 2006, 18:53
Hey Rolling Thunder,

I'll give you a couple examples of "slow food".

1./ I cook a meal for my parents (both almost eighty), what you and I might accomplish in an hour, takes four. Factor in my Mom's story telling, tea breaks , etc...

2./ I present seven courses at my restaurant... flip that table in two...

Go figure... all organic (when I'm able), almost always...

Make fish cakes, tea biscuits, scones, homemade beans or something as simple as "KD".

End result, food made with love

I fully understand your thread start, but some of my fondest food memories were because I had shared with friends...

Take Yur Time and have fun.... that's the essence of slow cooking

Bill

tilewood
16th Aug 2006, 19:00
Goes back to wartime days, and possibly before, when the 'poor' people'
took their crockpots full of of veggies and cheap cuts of meat to the
bakers who put them in their ovens after they had finished baking.

The residual heat would cook the meat slowly over the hours until
the bakers were ready to start baking again. The locals would then
come and collect their pots, cooked and nutritious, before the breadshops stoked up their ovens ready for the next day's baking.

A wonderful system that benefited everyone.

G-CPTN
16th Aug 2006, 19:05
We have a medieval communal oven in our village. Although it's been unused for quite some time (uncertain how long) the concept was that the peasants would bring along their haunches to be cooked. Or something like that. Fire was probably licensed and could only be handled by the clerics.

Blacksheep
17th Aug 2006, 10:02
Doesn't 'fried rice' have to be boiled FIRST?Yeah, but we always have some cold rice hanging about in the fridge. We also usually have bits of cold chicken or other stuff you can chuck in to give it a bit of body. :)

Of course there's always the ultimate in fast food. Take one slice of bread and one can of baked beans... ;)

G-CPTN
17th Aug 2006, 10:05
Of course there's always the ultimate in fast food. Take one slice of bread and one can of baked beans... ;)
And they don't HAVE to be heated either. Cold baked beans (and the tinned sauce) have a certain je ne sais quoi.

GuppyEng.com
17th Aug 2006, 10:56
Of course there's always the ultimate in fast food. Take one slice of bread and one can of baked beans... ;)[/QUOTE]

People say you are what you eat?
Obviously Fast, Cheap and Easy!

Foss
17th Aug 2006, 11:46
Fast food
For the blokes - a packet of crisps
For the girls - a bar of chocolate

Otherwise, scrambled eggs with soy sauce, chillies, tabasco and onions. With or without toast.

Slow food
A pizza delivery, because the pimple faced twit doing the driving has no idea where your house is.
Any kind off joint because you're convinced it's overdone, underdone or that you've just made a horlix of it.
Fos

madherb
17th Aug 2006, 11:55
Any kind off joint
Fos
Hey mon - bin slow cookin' ma joint all day mon - none of da fast stuff here!!! :E :E

Foss
17th Aug 2006, 13:07
You've paid hundreds of pounds for your romantic five hour drive away country cottage holiday, even though you live in the bloody country anyway.
The you find it's got a romantic Aga.
Time to light it, bought half an hour.
Time to boil an egg, bought three hours.
'When's dinner ready?' says your beloved. 'About three in the morning at this [email protected]@king rate - stupid bloody idea of yours'.
But at least you have the glares and huffs from a woman shouted at to pass the time of the slow cooking.

Fos

frostbite
17th Aug 2006, 14:43
I'm a big fan of someone else doing the cooking.

green granite
17th Aug 2006, 15:15
Fast food
For the blokes - a packet of crisps
For the girls - a bar of chocolate

Really? in my house it's crisps for Mrs GG and chocolate for me ( can't stand crisps)

Foss
17th Aug 2006, 18:33
Green
I would go for dark chocolate, no problem. But you can't beat Tayto cheese'n onion. (Wait for Standard Noise to bite on that one.)

Or a poached egg. Boil water, spin it around aka Delia, drop in egg, and watch a yellow golf ball swirl round surrounded by wallpaper paste. :{

I can cook, honest.
I once got verrry, verrry drunk and made tagliat.. tagliatelli.. taglliatellia?.. the flat pasta from scratch and it was great. The kitchen wasn't. When you wash flour off worktops, it turns into dough. Good for grouting the tiles. Slow cooking, but a quick learning curve.

There's a lot to be said for sobriety and Monster Munch.
Fos
chefs hat on

reynoldsno1
18th Aug 2006, 01:12
Just about any street in any town in SE Asia has great "fast" food cooked from scratch in front of you......