PDA

View Full Version : Why are there so many Rastafarians in the Israeli army?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
15th Aug 2006, 22:30
I keep seeing pictures of guys in uniform with what looks like uniform issue rasta-man hats on. Of course they're not in red and yellow cos it would clash with the camoflague, but what's the explaination?

colmac747
16th Aug 2006, 11:26
I'll reply my erudite friend;) seeing as how a whole thread dedicated to you mysteriously disappeared overnight:*

During the conflict, i was amazed at the laid back approach some of these soldiers displayed.

So, in theory...laid back = ganja = Rastafarianism:hmm:

:}

Rossian
16th Aug 2006, 11:48
No. Much more likely to be Orthodox Jews who cultivate these "ringlets" (there's probably a proper name for them and no doubt Mr D will supply the right word)
The Ancient Mariner

G-CPTN
16th Aug 2006, 12:18
Following a Biblical commandment not to shave the sides of one's face, male members of some Hasidic groups wear long, uncut sideburns called payoth (Ashkenazi Hebrew payos, Yiddish peyes).

Blacksheep
16th Aug 2006, 14:19
Yeah man, we know all about the long sideburns, and how smoking joints an' all makes the guys chill out, but what about the big floppy hat things that go over the kevlar helmets? What're they all about eh?

Howard Hughes
16th Aug 2006, 14:26
I have always thought of the Israeli military as a highly trained and well equipped fighting machine.

Clearly from the snippets of footage that have been shown here over the last few weeks, there are parts of the Israeli army that are anything but. On a number of occasions I have seen men firing artillery without hearing protection....:hmm:

Perhaps the long sidies are to stick in their ears!!:}