PDA

View Full Version : Sound recording at Duxford

Mangoboom
15th Aug 2006, 21:59
I will be carrying out some sound recording work at the Duxford air show on 8 October. Bearing in mind our aim is to capture the sounds of the aircraft, we need to locate in a spot that is near to the display, but far enough away to avoid any extraneous noise from the announcer and crowds.

Can anyone tell me what approach aircraft involved in displays at Duxford generally take? Do they follow the line of the runway?

More importantly, can anyone suggest a good location, either on the airfield or off of it, where I could carry out this job?

Any advice is gratefully received. Thanks.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Aug 2006, 07:15
Strongly suggest you need to talk to the organisers and staff at Duxford itself.....

Mangoboom
16th Aug 2006, 18:06
Sound advice from HD and something I will be doing.

If anyone knows of any good spots off the airfield I'd be grateful to hear them too.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Aug 2006, 18:30
If you want to work off-airfield there are good spots overlooking Duxford along a road, south of the field, which is sometimes closed to traffic when there is a major display, but plenty of people go there to watch the show. Get the local OS map and check these co-ordinates: TL 46585 44973 to TL 47020 45263. Along that road, abeam the runway, there are several small lay-bys and there is even a track leading north off that road towards the airfield. It was open when I was there recently with no signs prohibiting entry. Although I do not know the legal status of it there were a number of photographers there.

Mangoboom
17th Aug 2006, 17:03
HD - sounds promising. Thank you very much.