PDA

View Full Version : Inside Lunar Module pics

BigEndBob
15th Aug 2006, 19:47
Considering landing on the Moon was probably the biggest event so far in Human history, does anybody know of any footage or pics of the astronauts putting on their space suits, opening the door from the INSIDE and stepping out of the Lunar Module onto the Moon.

The only pictures we see initially is Neil stepping onto the Moon.
I think actually opening the door would have been a big event so why no pics?

tony draper
15th Aug 2006, 20:12
Concidering inside the LEM was about the size of a telephone box don't think they would have had room to swing a camera,mebee some training footage somewhere,,only ever seen stills of LEM interior.
Re the first camera shots,the camera was fixed to the outside on one of the legs as far as I recal,the TV Camera on Apollo 11 was pretty crude low rez Mono thing compared to later colour cameras on later shots.

G-CPTN
15th Aug 2006, 20:34
I'm not contradicting you, FSL (would I DARE?), but the last place that I would fix a camera is on the legs of a lunar lander!

Cheerio
15th Aug 2006, 20:44
There used to be a LEM in the foyer of the old NASA vistor centre at Clearwater - it was an amazing thing to see, and consider where its siblings ended up.

Two's in
15th Aug 2006, 22:35
Such a world shaping event in fact that NASA have "lost" the original tapes!

Apparently, the Australian tracking station at Sharpes received high quality pictures from the moon, it was the terrestial rebroadcast that "fuzzed' it up. Those tapes have subsequently been put somewhewre so safe that no-one in NASA knows where they are. More details here:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/one-giant-blunder-for-mankind-how-nasa-lost-moon-pictures/2006/08/04/1154198328978.html

Buster Hyman
15th Aug 2006, 22:47
They did have a camera in the module, but when he opened the door, they realised they hadn't decompressed properly and....:uhoh:

PT6ER
16th Aug 2006, 00:07
Kind of an aside to the thread but I'm reading a book at the moment called "Moondust - In Search of the Men Who Fell to Earth" by Andrew Smith and he states that Buzz Aldrin took no pictures of Neil Armstrong at all, in fact the only "picture" of Armstrong is as a reflection in Aldrins visor. He claims personalities got in the way.

G-CPTN
16th Aug 2006, 00:13
Such a world shaping event in fact that NASA have "lost" the original tapes!
They're not lost. They just haven't a F:mad:KING clue where they are . . .

sir.pratt
16th Aug 2006, 00:25
it's probably somewhere near Waikiki...

BlueDiamond
16th Aug 2006, 01:24
... footage or pics of the astronauts putting on their space suits, ...
There's probably plenty of that footage. They put the suits on before they even walked out to the launch pad.

PeetD
16th Aug 2006, 09:56
There's probably plenty of that footage. They put the suits on before they even walked out to the launch pad.
true they did...but they did take them off again.

When Pete Conrad and Al Bean returned to the Command Module from the moon on Apollo 12, Dick Gordon (the CMP) made them strip off completely in the LEM before he would let them in as they were covered in so much dust he didn't want it clogging up the environmental control system. They floated through the tunnel between the two craft in their birthday suits. Don't think they wanted any pictures of that, but it is documented in Conrad's book.

In Dave Scott's book, he says that they (Apollo 15) were the first lunar crew to strip off to their long johns on the moon for their rest periods as they were there for nearly 3 days. He tells us that it took over 2 hours to suit up in the confines of the LEM. I'm sure it was hard enough to do without trying to film it.

Watching Bruce Parry recreating Scotts antarctic journey on the TV at the moment, nearly 100 years on, using clothing and equipment from the period made me wonder... in 2069, will someone will try to get to the moon again using only 1969 technology? would anybody be that crazy?

tony draper
16th Aug 2006, 10:45
Also the Apoolo 11 Astronauts had much thicker more clumsy suits than the later chaps,NASA thunk they might be slain by falling micro meteorites as soon as they stepped outside,even a grain of sand sized object travelling at 60 miles per second can sting a little.
:rolleyes:

Parapunter
16th Aug 2006, 10:48
...To which the ingenious solution (on the space craft at least) was double skinning. The Nasa boffs worked out that micro meteorites would be enormously slowed by impact with an outer skin & would then just bounce off the second inner skin. I've seen high speed footage of those tests. Did they do the same thinking on the space suits??

G-CPTN
16th Aug 2006, 11:45
They used four skins I believe.

green granite
16th Aug 2006, 12:12
Perhaps the tapes have gone missing cos they show parts of the hangar that they were filmed in. :E http://209.85.48.8/html/emoticons/unsure.gif:}