PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Decision Flowchart

Pitts2112
15th Aug 2006, 16:35
Hello, folks,

First time on this techie page. I'm normally not that interested in anything that isn't powered by Lycoming or Continental (or Wright, P&W, etc), but am stuck so need to ask ya'll a question.

I'm in the market for a laptop. Looking for a fairly basic model with built-in wireless to use for basic office applications, photo and video editing, surfin' the web, would like an on-baord camera but that's just nice-to-have. But I don't really know what any of the marketing bumf means these days (when was the last time you could get a 486?) and there are just too many machines out there with no easy way to compare them, both across but also within brands.

So, I was wondering if any of you know of a site that has a function where you can tell it what you want and it'll spit out the options, across brands, that fit that choice? I'm looking for something which will ask questions based on use (not techie questions with numbers and acronyms and stuff).

Does anyone know of anything like that? If I can at least understand what the practical application of the junk on them is, then I can decide if I really need it or not (probably not, which is the whole point).

Any advice? Thanks!

Pitts2112

Bluesteel705
16th Aug 2006, 18:14
Not incredibly detailed, but have you had a look at this;

http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/c_113501_laptops.html