PDA

View Full Version : Finningley Navigators Reunion

Maxibon
15th Aug 2006, 12:26
Having recently seen the state of the old place and spoken with a couple from that wonderful era - 360 odd to 380 odd ANC's (although I was only ever on 381), would anyone be interested in setting up a bash, perhaps next year, at our former alma mater with associated entertainment in Donny - as ever. I'm happy to get things rolling if people want to PM me. Perhaps even the odd LLADTS pilot or QNIs could come along. No swiss army knives please.

Maxibon

johnfairr
15th Aug 2006, 12:46
I managed to scrape through on 169 Course in 1973, is there a restriction on age?:rolleyes:

Maxibon
15th Aug 2006, 12:51
Absolutely none, although I'm sure you're younger than the average female in half of the Donny nightclubs

johnfairr
15th Aug 2006, 13:02
At least I was when I was there!! Seem to remember going to a night club on the night it was opened by Pans People. Even the stage had teeth marks in it as they were floating about in next to nothing - happy days :ok:

Crusader 14
15th Aug 2006, 14:20
Sure a fair few directional consultants would be up for a night out in Donny. Why not see if Donny Friar Tuck International would waive landing fees and make it a fly-in?

PR message for local press- "For one night only the navs are back in town. If you don't understand then ask your mum!" Or is that not v PC?

BANANASBANANAS
15th Aug 2006, 14:24
Got room for an ex Dominie driver (1987-92)?:ok:

foldingwings
15th Aug 2006, 14:29
Doncaster! Only place on the planet where the response to a polite request "Would you care to dance?" was met with the reply: "Nah! F*ck off! Ah'm dancin' wi ma mates!"

Memories!:eek:

FW

handysnaks
15th Aug 2006, 14:42
Are you sure you'll all be able to find it?:)

well, someone had to ask and I thought it might as well be me

Maxibon
15th Aug 2006, 15:13
Got room for an ex Dominie driver (1987-92)?:ok:

Of course, providing you don't put the autopilot on and fall asleep:p

Gainesy
15th Aug 2006, 15:30
More like:"For one night only your dads are back in town. If you don't understand then ask your mum!" :E

O2thief
15th Aug 2006, 16:38
Doncaster! Only place on the planet where the response to a polite request "Would you care to dance?" was met with the reply: "Nah! F*ck off! Ah'm dancin' wi ma mates!"
Courtney, You might have had better luck if you had tried asking the women, Boom Boom! (153 Cse-Jul 72). :ok:

PPRuNeUser0139
15th Aug 2006, 17:04
Doncaster - I apologise in advance if I'm insulting any natives of Donny passing through here but it really was the pits.. I was there 73-74 (177 Cse) and Lady Mabel's willing nurses kept me sane.. I never felt tempted by anything downtown.
There was the place a mile or two around the corner from Finningley - the Eagle & Child - or some place close to the E&C - that had the occasional Sunday lunchtime stripper.. Used to put me right off my lunch!
A year in Donny was a long time.

dervish
15th Aug 2006, 17:12
Finningley? Love the place. Dropped £50 on the officers' mess bandit during my only visit.

Op Tastic
15th Aug 2006, 17:15
How do I get there? Can anyone give me directions?

Ventre A Terre
15th Aug 2006, 17:34
Maxibon
If you are who I think - will you be requiring the mess silver for said reunion?
VAT (382 Cse)

Maxibon
15th Aug 2006, 17:41
Mess silver - what on earth would I have needed that for. Still, polishing it kept me busy on my Christmas Day orderley officer:yuk:

serf
15th Aug 2006, 20:30
Officers Mess............Bandit

stiknruda
16th Aug 2006, 07:28
293ANC - 1982/3

Up for a fly-in.

O2thief
16th Aug 2006, 10:09
My log book entry for 25 Aug 83 Dominie T Mk1-XS 736-Capt Flt Lt Young-PA/Viz screen Flt Lt O2 Thief-stude Plt Off Bir*w*%£*le, Ex D11, Route 3 with a PD to Teeside. Was that you? If it was, did you pass as I can't remember that far back ?

RubiC Cube
16th Aug 2006, 12:06
Are you sure you'll all be able to find it?:)
well, someone had to ask and I thought it might as well be me

Navigators always know where they have been (some time ago in quite a few cases!)

foldingwings
16th Aug 2006, 12:11
Courtney, You might have had better luck if you had tried asking the women, Boom Boom! (153 Cse-Jul 72). :ok:

Watch it, O2thief, or I will expose you!!!!!!!!!!!

When are we playing golf? I forget!

MG
16th Aug 2006, 18:23
Count me in! Loved the place.

LunchMonitor
17th Aug 2006, 08:34
There was the place a mile or two around the corner from Finningley - the Eagle & Child
Will always be known as The Budgie and Bastard.

charliegolf
17th Aug 2006, 08:46
Naturally a former Hill Safety Officer/ CSRO would be the proverbial pork pie...!

CG

jindabyne
17th Aug 2006, 09:08
Watch it, O2thief, or I will expose you!!!!!!!!!!!

Up to your old tricks again I see!

Maxibon
17th Aug 2006, 10:10
To be honest, this was an idea that initially thought to be a good idea for a small Donny reunion p**s up. However, there seems to be real interest in getting something bigger off the ground. I am therefore going to look at the viability of the old mess and Filton block and perhaps a hangar for entertainment as well as the possibility of a fly-in. The downside of a fly-in is that you have to bring your monkey along and lets face it, none of them really understand the whole Donny thing, except the ex METS guys but they don't really count anyway. If there is genuine interest in setting up something large, I am happy to start the ball rolling and get some ideas - this could be the biggest reunion of navigators ever and make a hell of a weekend. Possible timings could be summer 2007. Lots to think about and any suggestions welcome.

Max

OKOC
17th Aug 2006, 10:21
Any chance you can get the Goblin Teasmaids back as well? (Teeth optional!)

BANANASBANANAS
17th Aug 2006, 12:40
The Bird and b@stard eh? At the risk of sending this entire thread straight to Jetblast, we always knew it as "The Fowl and Foe*us :yuk:

O2thief
17th Aug 2006, 15:39
Check your PM's.

3winged
17th Aug 2006, 21:19
Here's an idea. Why don't all the ex navs who have retrained as pilots fly in, therebye negating the need to bring those mere two winged chaps?

I think the idea of a reunion is excellent and could be massive, if there are enough people around who are not deployed overseas on ops..........

I was in the early(ish) 400's on my Nav course at Finningly, saw the place close just after I left, a sad day for all. Still fly over occasionally and bore the rest of my crew with 'when I was...' and 'Donnie is the best...' stories.

Ahhh, Double decker bus, Station Hotel, Camelots, Charisma's, oblivion. Memories.

:) Count me in!

Crusader 14
23rd Aug 2006, 07:13
Sounds good to me!:) :ok: :D

stiknruda
23rd Aug 2006, 08:03
Plt Off B***w***** wasn't/isn't me - I'm far better looking than Robin!

Funny thing is that I knew him at IOT but can't recall him being on the same nav course.

CRM Monkey
23rd Aug 2006, 17:45
Sounds like a great plan.

threepointonefour
23rd Aug 2006, 19:33
379 - a comparative 'youngster'.

Count me in. I assume we'll start in the Sally Arms and ease our way into town? I guess that we'll wind up in what was 7th Heaven? Who's going to arrange the invite to the weekly Nurses' Party?

beardy
23rd Aug 2006, 20:56
What is the collective noun for navigators?

Wrathmonk
23rd Aug 2006, 21:09
An excellent?

brit bus driver
23rd Aug 2006, 21:32
Surely METS studes of the era should be invited? If not, a) who are you going to fight with and b) who are you going to get to shag the ugly birds?!!

Not that one does that sort of thing any more.....nor any less!

hifiman
23rd Aug 2006, 22:45
Must be an MPP!

Count me in - from 197 ANC

Lafyar Cokov
23rd Aug 2006, 22:49
beardy What is the collective noun for navigators?

A lost.......?

Always_broken_in_wilts
24th Aug 2006, 07:57
I think you will find it's an "odour" of navigators:E

If you follow the link there are at least six very practicle alternative venues in Donny for a Nav reunion and if you pick the right one some guys wont even have to take time off work:E

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/asp/locator/index.asp

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Maxibon
11th Sep 2006, 12:47
This has gone quiet for a bit. Do we have anymore takers or anyone interested in organising such a bash? Please PM me if so.

Lima Juliet
13th Sep 2006, 10:11
We had a Nav Course re-union at Donny last year. We managed to get into the Mess and Filton Block as they were the same combinations as when we left! We all got our souvenir room keys that were still in the door ;-)

In town things have changed - Bacchus Wine Bar, where I met my ex-wife, is now a lap-dancing joint called the Purple Door. I had a look for Mrs LJ Mk II and I found a couple of possibles :E But, overall, the place hasn't changed and is still an entertaining night out (even whilst dodging Mrs LJ Mk I).

I'm pretty sure that my mates from the course would be up for a bigger event in the future.

LJ

Vasco Sodcat
14th Sep 2006, 17:05
Superb idea Maxi!
And for those of us there in the v. early 80's or before, try to find Margaret and Glennis as guests of honour :) :) :)

flower
14th Sep 2006, 17:24
My uncle was an instructor there back in the mid eighties, I remember him firstly living at Bawtry before moving into Finningly. Sadly he is no longer with us or I would show him the thread ( Harry Williams)

BATS
14th Sep 2006, 19:37
278 course (I think...) Count me in for a night out in Donny. Wonder if Linda Lusardi still works in the Sidings ????

BTW PO B***w****** is now Gp Capt B***w******.........

BT

reynoldsno1
14th Sep 2006, 21:00
the Eagle & Child
'twas the Duck & F*ck in '74 .....

Confucius
14th Sep 2006, 21:59
In town things have changed - Bacchus Wine Bar... is now a lap-dancing joint called the Purple Door.

So, it seems as though it's still a good place to end up of a night in Donny then.