PDA

View Full Version : Eastern QFLink

Fingers Crossed
15th Aug 2006, 09:13
Hi
Is anyone attending the Recruitment Assessment day in Sydney for Eastern Australian Airlines? It is on the 1st September.

Fingers Crossed
18th Aug 2006, 07:24
As I'm currently preparing for the group interview and hopefully the second one later that day, can anyone anyone anyone enlighten me on what kind of questions will be asked. In both the group and the second interview. :confused:

Thanks

sebby
19th Aug 2006, 04:47
The group assessment will involve a few group activities, a tea break where the recruiters will ask you some questions about your lifestyle and you are advised to ask them some questions about the role etc and then a written problem solving test which basically tries to work out how you would go working on your own.

Qantaslink interviews are hard to predict and from what ive seen of the people that have been successful its hard to predict what they want.

Good Luck.

I mist say though getting this sort of advice could hinder you at the interview, in my opinion its better to go into things not expecting certain things because you act more natural, and thats what they are after.

CrashAxe
19th Aug 2006, 10:04
Interesting indeed!

My friend has been invited to the session on the 1st Sept.

I've heard from a friend of mine that they've introduced a personality test as well. Probably to try and weed out a few of the 'odd balls' that plague assessment centres every now and then.

Sebby: Do you work there? What are some of the things that they look for? :)

sebby
20th Aug 2006, 00:29
I dont work there, no. I have been through the recruitment process however.

They look for maturity in people and people that can work well on their own without feeling or seeming isolated. My friends really enjoy their time at Link, but itsnot like yor average flying job!

Fingers Crossed
20th Aug 2006, 01:30
Sebby, what do you mean when you say it's not your average flying job?
And thank you for your advice by the way :ok:

And I hate those personality tests :ugh:

How many people are at the group assessment day, is it like a huge cattle call??

sebby
20th Aug 2006, 01:58
Hmm.. I think at mine there was about 20 people, but i also knew there was another group going through the next day.

By not your average flying job I mean - yes you get overngihts but you are on your own, you work alone a lot, you do all the PAs, all the paperwork, all the communication with the flight deck, any problems that arise in the cabin are up to you etc etc... its hardly a "team" job so steer away from making comments about you and teamwork etc.

The personality test is really just to judge your character in the even that you work alone.

When they give you the introduction to the job they will expalin all of this to you.

Good Luck :)

MELBRO
21st Aug 2006, 13:41
Hey Fingers Crossed,

As a member of cabin crew with QFlink, I cant emphasise the importance of "TEAMWORK" during the interview process. Even though at times you will fly solo, you are still working as part of a small team with your flightdeck crew. Also the majority of flying on your monthly roster especially at the SYD base is multi crew flying, meaning two cabin crew.

A fantastic job and great time to be joining especially with major expansion for QFlink in the future.

Goodluck.

Fingers Crossed
22nd Aug 2006, 01:03
Thankx heaps Melbro :) . How long have you been with QFLink for. Glad to hear someone who's loving it.

I'm really starting to stress about the group interview thingy. :eek:

What to wear, hair, waxing, nails, bags, shoes, honestly what a production, I don't think that I put this much effort in when I got married. ;)

pinklemonae
22nd Aug 2006, 01:49
Hi there

I am also attending the recruitment day in SYD on the 1st of September!

Can't wait :)

EAAFA
22nd Aug 2006, 09:19
Teamwork is definitely part of the job at Eastern. Don't think that because you are the only flight attendant (or 1 of 2) in the cabin mislead you into thinking you don't have to be a team player. In addition to dealing with pilots, you are also part of the larger team on the ground. Not to mention the fact that it takes teamwork with your passengers when you call upon them for assistance.

pinklemonae
25th Aug 2006, 09:53
Does anyone else find it odd that EAA are recruiting again? Weren't the last interviews in March this year?

Fingers Crossed
25th Aug 2006, 09:57
From what I know a there were a few QFLinkers that went to Jet*.

pinklemonae
25th Aug 2006, 09:59
Oh I see :)

Well that makes sense then..

CrashAxe
26th Aug 2006, 03:30
I've actually heard that QFLink is expanding! Dixon made comment about it in the papers recently and the annual results showed that QFLink is doing really well.

Who knows, maybe there's more to this recruitment session than everyone thinks! :)

Fingers Crossed
29th Aug 2006, 11:58
Does anyone know how many people actually get selected, as far as I know there is the group interview, then if lucky enough there is a panel interview
then if selected there is medical. With EAA is it usually a big intake or just a few? :confused: :sad:

CrashAxe
30th Aug 2006, 08:35
I think they will be recruiting a few people for SYD fairly soon. There's a couple of people who have left, been asked to leave and who are choosing to go to JQ. *cringes* :eek:

I think you'll go on to Active Hold but I don't think it'll take that long before you get an opportunity in a SYD position. Why don't you ask the question on the day?

Fingers Crossed
30th Aug 2006, 09:43
Thanks CrashAxe don't worry I'll definitely ask! OH another annoying question but I've been reading a few other posts and was wondering what actually goes on at a medical:confused: Do all airlines have the same protocol when it comes to the medical and do the do them all in one day.

Too many questions I have :ugh:

galley girl
30th Aug 2006, 12:14
Hi CrashAxe, what do you mean by 'asked to leave?' - Do you mean that instead of sacking them the company have given them the opportunity to get in first? That happened to someone else I knew years ago. How is the morale there?
Fingers crossed - good luck and take on board all the advice given. The medical is through the same group. Eye test, hearing, lung function, touch your toes, balance stuff, blood and urine testing. The medical form you fill out before and you take on the day - states that you are obliged to mention all operations, scars etc etc. You may need to have some shots as well. My doctor told me on the day I was through, pending the other results of course. Good luck

CrashAxe
30th Aug 2006, 21:24
Galley Girl,

I think so. The rumour is that for a couple, it was a "mutual decision" ;)

What happened to your friend? Generally people don't get sacked unless they've done the wrong thing.

Not sure re. morale - have a friend who works there and she's enjoying it. Apparently they're putting on a few more staff in late September so that's always a good sign.:)

Good luck Fingers Crossed - let us know how the day goes!

galley girl
31st Aug 2006, 04:13
Hi CrashAxe, she wasn't a close friend but she did have a LOT of trouble handling the early starts and kept missing flights, she also failed a check and had to undergo re-training for a bit. She didn't do well with study either. It just wasn't for her.

pinklemonae
1st Sep 2006, 05:53
Hi did anyone else get a call back for the 15th of September? I was having trouble hearing the phone call but I got the time right.

How did everyone else go?

CrashAxe
1st Sep 2006, 14:31
Ohh... I heard it was r e a l l y competitive today.

Best of luck... Don't be suprised if you didn't get in. It's a tough process.

Fingers Crossed
1st Sep 2006, 20:57
I had the second interview yesterday afternoon........ I was so buggered though had to wait around for hours.. Lets see. CrashAxe were you there :confused:

pinklemonae
2nd Sep 2006, 07:29
Ohh... I heard it was r e a l l y competitive today.

Best of luck... Don't be suprised if you didn't get in. It's a tough process.

It sure was tough competition yesterday..There were some massive personalities at my table.

Fingers crossed can I ask what happened in the next interview? Was it focusing on customer service?

Fingers Crossed
2nd Sep 2006, 09:47
It was a strange interview, a bit of casual chatting, a bit of info on salary etc, then some hard questions, then back to chatting, totally not what I expected though. :eek:

I was on a table with some big personalities also, will be interesting to see if the big ones get another interview. I thought i was a bit subdued, was actually quite surprised I found it a bit intimidating to be honest.

CrashAxe you're right it is a very tough process :ok:

pinklemonae
3rd Sep 2006, 04:47
It was a strange interview, a bit of casual chatting, a bit of info on salary etc, then some hard questions, then back to chatting, totally not what I expected though. :eek:

I was on a table with some big personalities also, will be interesting to see if the big ones get another interview. I thought i was a bit subdued, was actually quite surprised I found it a bit intimidating to be honest.

C

I was SO surprised at getting a call! I hardly got a word in :)

Am looking forward to the next interview.

CrashAxe
3rd Sep 2006, 06:13
Fingers Crossed / PinkMonae:

Who interviewed you? My friend was there and told me that there were two separate teams - the guy (G) and the girl with long blond hair (K) and then another guy (J) with a girl with brown curly hair (B)?

Hopefully you'll have done OK through the interview. Did they say when you find out?

pinklemonae
3rd Sep 2006, 09:19

Who interviewed you? My friend was there and told me that there were two separate teams - the guy (G) and the girl with long blond hair (K) and then another guy (J) with a girl with brown curly hair (B)?

Hopefully you'll have done OK through the interview. Did they say when you find out?

My interview is on the 15th and J will be interviewing me.. He seems like a really nice guy and I'm looking forward to it!

Fingers Crossed
3rd Sep 2006, 10:16

I was interviewed by G and K. They were both really nice and laid back which kept me at ease. I think they said that I'd get an email within the week, I can't really remember as I was so fatigued, drained and nervous. All the best for you interview Pinklemonae :ok:

mouse78
4th Sep 2006, 12:38
:O I have heard that they may need someone in Mildura for a six month posting.
But with the expansion they may be on for longer.

Cheers and good luck

Fingers Crossed
5th Sep 2006, 01:23
Does anyone know if many got a second interview? After I got my call I didn't hang around. And also was there another assessment day.

CrashAxe
6th Sep 2006, 09:04
Hmmm Good question. Yeah, I'd love to know how many make it through.

Mouse: Mildura eh? That sounds like fun. Hey, does anyone know anyone who works in Mildura? Can anyone comment on what it's like?

Fingers Crossed
6th Sep 2006, 10:03
It's hard to know what they're looking for, I know that in the past they have knocked back working flight attendants from other airlines. I would think that would be an asset to the company :ooh: . I remember looking critically (sizing up my competion ;) )around the room in the group interview and I would've personally picked well over half of the people there. I really think it would've been hard to pick. Who knows how they did :confused: Luckily I was picked for the second interview and now the wait :hmm:

pinklemonae
6th Sep 2006, 23:05
I remember looking critically (sizing up my competion ;) )around the room in the group interview and I would've personally picked well over half of the people there. I really think it would've been hard to pick. Who knows how they did :confused: Luckily I was picked for the second interview and now the wait :hmm:

I felt exactly the same way. There was loads of very good candidates :)

Fingers Crossed
7th Sep 2006, 02:16
I felt exactly the same way. There was loads of very good candidates :)

I know what you mean!!! During the break I was talking to a woman who was so calm and elegant, she was so nice, I told her I was nervous and she gave me some great tips on how to stay calm. I remember thinking that if I were in a situation I would want her on the plane with me :O Anyway I saw her leave as I went in for my interview so I know that she got through the group.

pinklemonae
8th Sep 2006, 08:08
How many people are on the panel? Just wondering :)

EAAFA
10th Sep 2006, 11:31
CrashAxe, you asked about Mildura. I'm not based there so can't comment on the lifestyle, but the roster is very limited. Mainly day flying with one early and one late shift.
I doubt though whether a Mildura position would be offered to a Sydney applicant as almost all of the non locals hired previously didn't last long: they were too desperate to move back to their home towns to give it a fair go.

CrashAxe
11th Sep 2006, 11:37
PinkLemonae,

I think there's 3 people on the panel. Good luck! :)

pinklemonae
11th Sep 2006, 21:14
PinkLemonae,

I think there's 3 people on the panel. Good luck! :)

Thank you CrashAxe :)

I like knowing what to expect.

Fingers Crossed
11th Sep 2006, 22:46
I only had 2 people on mine... so I would think that you would have 2 on yours as well!?! Goodluck Pinklemonae :)

pinklemonae
11th Sep 2006, 23:24
I'd rather two or three than one for some reason? I feel more comfortable talking with more people than just focusing on one.

BowGirl
12th Sep 2006, 11:30
I also heard that they might be looking for someone in Mildura... do you think it'd be a good short term option as a way to get a foot in the door for longer term?? How bad can the lifestyle be?? Anyone??

EAAFA
14th Sep 2006, 04:24
As I mentioned in an earlier post, non-native Mildura based flight attendants don't last long. If you're not the kind of person who can relocate easily to a town where you don't know anyone, it's not for you. Think about how much you depend on your family and friends before you decide to move if you are offered a position. Getting a transfer to another base may take longer than you think.

Fingers Crossed
14th Sep 2006, 04:39
Ok everyone in the know!

What exactly goes on at a Medical? Are they looking to fail you? My eyesight is not the best so am concerned about an eyetest. How strict are
they on the weight thing, I'm probably a bit underweight would that matter.

Fingers Crossed
15th Sep 2006, 08:38
How was your interview today Pinklemonae? ;)

I hope you did alright, I think a few were getting interviews
today from what I was told.

pinklemonae
15th Sep 2006, 10:31
Hi there

Interview involved a lot of tough questions :) Unsure of how I went but I really gave it my best. Can't do anymore than that :)

Now the waiting...

:O

About being a little underweight. I am sure it does not matter unless you are A LOT underweight, then there is cause for concern. Some people are naturally a little under, and I believe that is fine.

CrashAxe
15th Sep 2006, 12:01
Pinklemonae:

Good luck! Who interviewed you? Was it the same people who were at the Recruitment day a week or two ago?

Isn't the waiting awful?!! AARRGGHHHH :rolleyes:

Fingers Crossed
18th Sep 2006, 03:10
Pinklemonae when did they say they'd let you know?

pinklemonae
18th Sep 2006, 04:01
They said a week I think?

I was just told to check my emails if I was unsuccesful! Not a good sign hehe..

grrowler
19th Sep 2006, 21:55
Sorry to break up the party, but Eastern FA is a ****e job. Why do you think so many people are leaving?

They pay ****e

They treat their staff like ****e

They lie about progression (are they still telling you guys it will happen in interviews?)

They constantly operate single FA on 300's and draft (read forced overtime) on the end of your shift. Expect to do 10-11 hours a day. Thats 10-11 hours pretty much entirely on your feet and 6 sectors, often without a break.

Think very carefully before taking a job with these sharks.

Fingers Crossed
19th Sep 2006, 22:08
Well thanks for your information, I quite often go around blind before I leap into something...

And FYI I personally know some Jet* FA's who left Eastern and now are desperately trying to get back in.

Can't be all that bad then. :ouch:

And by the way ggrowler who would you suggest I go with.

grrowler
20th Sep 2006, 06:16
Woo-hoo, it's better than Jetstar - big deal. It's like comparing STD's.

If you show me a few FA's who are "desperate"to come back, I'll show you dozens who are desperate to leave (and are leaving in large numbers).

I have stated the facts so that I don't have to see more disillusioned, lied-to FA's when I go to work. It's not glamourous, the work is bloody hard, and the rewards are almost insulting.

I have seen several FA's almost in tears from anger and frustration as their shift goes from being 7 hours to 12 hours. I spoke to someone who did a 16+! hour duty the other day (union approved, but thats another story :yuk: ). Try organising things such as doctors, dentists, hair, picking up kids, etc, etc.

As for where else to go, that's up to you. I'm not saying don't come to EAA, I'm saying if you do, don't whinge when it is as I've stated.

Fingers Crossed
20th Sep 2006, 07:31
Well the way I look at it some STD's are worse than others. :cool:

And don't worry if I do get the job I won't whinge because I have been
informed by yourself and others that fly with them. A good friend of mine who works for QF LH Crewing said to me a while ago that the "reign of the flight attendant is over" the good old days are gone.

And this forum informs us of the good, bad and the ugly. So your right no whinging from the informed.

EAAFA
21st Sep 2006, 03:51
grrowler, are you among the droves who have left? If not, why have you stayed? Not having a go at you, just curious...

grrowler
21st Sep 2006, 06:02
Have never been, never will be, and, before anyone starts, haven't "missed out". I'm posting as an informed outsider.

I presume you are an EAAFA - is anything I have posted not fact?

8 Drafting's before lunch yesterday due to management not allowing uncovered shifts to be offered to people on days off (as per the INTENT of the FA EBA)...

CrashAxe
21st Sep 2006, 08:04
Grrowler, with comments like "...seen several FA's almost in tears from anger and frustration as their shift goes from being 7 hours to 12 hours. I spoke to someone who did a 16+! hour duty the other day..." and "8 draftings before lunch...." you must work there - how would you get to know that level of detail? So come on Grrowler! Give us the dirt.

16 Hour duty? I'mpossible! I've just read the drafting clause and the max u could do would be 11 hrs planned. Either you're talking about "tours eitherside of a layover" and if you're talking about the guy that went to MQL, I heard about that too and apparently he got $175 for an extra 2 hrs work... not bad money for 2 hrs work if you ask me! :p

Grrowler... if you do work there, then why don't you exercise your choice to leave? Isn't that what people do when they don't like a job? :rolleyes: I've heard of bad Management before, but surely they aren't 'chaining' people to the workplace!?

Fingers Crossed; Yeah I've heard that two people from JQ are back with EAA - they apparently hated it over there... you just don't know who to believe really!

sebby
21st Sep 2006, 10:02
Many times I have done 16-19hour unplanned duties... in a disrupt this is to be expected and to have your duty extended is not uncommon for any airline so really growler your not telling anyone anything any airline these days wouldnt expect.

The only things that have limits on them is the amount of sectors you are legally able to operate, in nz we are allowed to pax one and then operate up to 5 domestic, or pax/operate one domestic and then operate 2 international.

EAA is not a bad company... yes the work is hard, and yes it will take a while for any sort of progression but if this is the job you want go for it. Opportunities that are full time and that do have eventual progression are hard to come by in aussie so i wish you all the best! :ok:

EAAFA
21st Sep 2006, 10:29
grrowler,
Unfortunately, the INTENT of the EBA is irrelevant if the clauses in question do not actually state that duties should be offered to staff on days off before drafting occurs. The only conditions the company must meet before resorting to drafting cabin crew are:

1 All reallocatable flight attendants have been utilised.
2 All reserve flight attendants have been utilised.
3 A new duty has been rejected by a flight attendant.

I don't understand how you can be so passionate about an issue which bears no relation to you personally.

overhere
21st Sep 2006, 10:33
Most the major airlines in Aus all have duty hour restrictions. As an average they hover around 10hr30-11hr planned duty, extendable to 12 under disrupts. Anything over that needs to be approved by the FAAA.

Jetconnect SH had a restriction of max 22hrs when I was there - I never did more then 13 hours though and the base I was in only ever did Trans Tassies so we were doing the longer (but easier!) duties. I don't quite know how on earth you'd ever manage to hit 22 (and neither does the company or that's what you'd probably be working!!).

If it's the dream job, go for it, but just know it's not the best thats on offer. Other regional airlines offer a better deal and so do the domestics. I took a job at JC years ago knowing that it wasn't the best deal and used it for and enjoyed the experience - I couldn't stand the people I worked with everyday whinging about the money and conditions though - everyone saw the CEA before they took the job. Don't be one of them if you take the gig at EAA.

On the up side - it's probably one of the last ways to get a FT gig at QF SH - that's if it still exists once you sit out the 5-7 years on a Dash!

Fingers Crossed
23rd Sep 2006, 22:39
How much does Eastern flight attendants earn in a month for their allowances. I know the base is not the best, but I was under the impression that the allowances make up for it.

Also Overhere you mentioned that there are other better regionals to work for is that due to pay or EBA?

And Pinklemonae have you had any news yet? :)

pinklemonae
24th Sep 2006, 05:28
Hi there :)

Nup nothing yet. Not hopeful though

grrowler
25th Sep 2006, 06:41
Crashaxe, if you read my post you would notice I said I was not an EAA FA. I don't hate my particular job, which is why I am still doing it. There are more than flight attendants at EAA.

EAAFA, unfortunately you are correct. However, when an EBA is ratified, there is generally a meeting between management and an FA rep to discuss how the specific clauses will be interpreted, in other words a "handshake" or goodwill arrangement. eg. Single FA operations were to be used to enable a service to operate back to home base if a FA became sick mid-duty, not for the purpose of operating out of home ports. Over the years, as management changes, this goodwill is discarded in order to penny pinch and earn brownie points with upper management. They do not consider the intent important. But looking at the big picture, perhaps this attitude is exactly why people are leaving and sick days are so incredibly high.

I don't understand how you can be so passionate about an issue which bears no relation to you personally This attitude is so typical and part of the problem. No one gives a sh!t unless it affects them personally.

I am passionate about this matter because it could affect me one day. If management are allowed to treat a group of staff with such disrespect in order to save a few $$, they are certainly going to try it on in other parts of the company. I really don't know why I bother caring though, as it's fairly obvious that most people are short-sightedly looking after only themselves.

Fingers Crossed,

I'm sure some of the others on here will know about the allowances, but as a rough idea, the average take home wage seems to be around $1200 per fortnight, including the allowances. It does vary up and down a fair bit. Stand to be corrected...

EAAFA
25th Sep 2006, 07:04
grrowler, you seem determined to create conflict. While I don't disagree with most of the things you've said, I maintain that what counts is what is in writing not intentions, handshakes, goodwill, etc.
"This attitude is so typical and part of the problem. No one gives a sh!t unless it affects them personally."
Do you actually believe you are helping anyone with your attitude? Telling my colleagues and me that we have a s**t job and work for s**t money (refer to your earlier posting), doesn't sound to me as if you are looking out for other people in the company. I'm not interested in which capacity you work for EAA, but would you appreciate someone insulting you for the work do and the conditions which you accept? I for one don't need your kind of support.
I think that the bigger problem is people complaining about being screwed over by an EBA that they themselves voted for and accepted. Drafting is allowed, minimum rest overnights are allowed, long duties with short breaks are allowed, etc.
What we need is for current staff to be fully informed about our EBA and going into the vote for the next one with open eyes and analytical minds. Most of all I hope that people won't be stupid enough to give up the hourly limit after minimum rest for a $5000 pay rise as is rumoured.

CrashAxe
26th Sep 2006, 10:26
EAAFA: I'm with you! What's in print is what is followed. Handshakes mean nothing.

Grrowler: The rules surrounding Single FA Operations are governed by CASA (well at least that's my understanding). There's no 'handshake' or intent behind that one - just a passenger ratio that enforced.... there's no other group involved in this one (correct me if I'm wrong!!) I wonder if It'll ever extend to Single Tech Crew Operation :eek: :eek:

Further to this, I have a friend who works in Crewing at EAA and he had a look at the sick leave on last year and apparently it's less than this year! So your theory is actually incorrect. Although, with the speculation that takes place on this forum, you're probably just pontificating like a lot of people do on these forums. People get on to a small bit of info and run with it!! It's fascinating and indeed a little sad what people will say when they're protected by anonymonity isn't it! :yuk:

EAAFA: Hmmm $5K for removing an aggregate?! :rolleyes: God, if people go for that then they really are in to selling their souls! BAD MOVE EAA FA's! :=

Interesting times really........................................ but hey, the sad thing is that it's the same everywhere!!!!!

Fingers Crossed
26th Sep 2006, 22:15
CrashAxe and EAAFA

What do you mean by this 5K pay rise to give up hourly limit. What does this all mean? :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused:

grrowler
26th Sep 2006, 23:16
Crashaxe, last year was pretty bad too, so comparing sick leave to then probably isn't an effective guage. Perhaps your friend looking back further would be more effective. Also, I didn't say sick leave was the highest, I just said it was incredibly high,which surely you must agree with. You also must agree that these draftings, single FA, etc are happening with a much greater frequency. Somewhere along the line, the loopholes in your EBA have been exploited - that's a fact. I agree that an EBA needs to be black and white, but it is basically impossible to draft a document which cannot be interpreted in different ways. This is one of the reasons why there are unions. As an example, and I don't have the document available now, but it says that a rostered shift of greater than 8 hours requires a break. When that was written, it wouldn't have been thought about too much. Shifts were shorter, and draftings were basically non-existent. Do you really think it was intended that you could be rostered 7 hours, then drafted to 10 hours without the requirement for a break? I believe this is a mis-interpretation for the benefit of the company.

EAAFA, I was informing potential recruits of what they are getting themselves into. I guess my initial comments were a little harsh, but I was actually saying you guys are worth more. Perhaps, if the truth is out there, there will be less starry-eyed hopefuls lining up at the door, and you will have a stronger position to negotiate from. As far as my job is concerned, I believe I'm on s**t money as well, the difference is that our management aren't as intent on screwing us.

From my experience, you need to be in communication with your EBA negotiators now, before a document is drafted, making it clear that giving up your hour limit clause for money is not acceptable. Once it's put to the vote, it's really hard to do anything about it. The company will offer you a take it or leave deal with your EBA. If you vote it down, you will most likely lose backpay. If you choose to fight that through protected action (very difficult under the current laws anyway), you are going to need the support of the other employee groups. They would be quite happy to work around you with strike breakers or whatever, which you can't do anything about, but which we can at least try to help prevent.

Anyway, I am actually on your side, so no need to get on your high horses and defend the company. If you don't want any support then perhaps you could lend me a pair of your rose coloured glasses?;)

EAAFA
28th Sep 2006, 06:00
grrowler,

I'm glad to see you admit that you were a bit harsh.

I'd be the last person to defend the company, I'm just telling it as it is. There's a big difference between having a s**t job and a s**t employer, and if I thought my job was s**t I would leave.

As for the point you made about the wording of the EBA which creates loopholes to the benefit of the company, I doubt whether the company managers didn't do that on purpose. They're not the most intelligent of individuals, but they sure make up for it with sneaky instincts.

Fingers Crossed, the hourly limits I referred to previously apply to minimum rest overnights. In our current EBA we have a clause which limits our shift on the second day if our rest period is only 9 hours. The company is desperately trying to remove this limit so they can roster us for long shifts on both days of the overnight.

I've said it to the union reps in person and I'd like to say it on-line: NO WAY!

CrashAxe
28th Sep 2006, 12:02
EAAFA: Interesting... whilst I may agree with you re the aggregate limits, I'm not convinced that your view will be shared by all. People will chase cash all the time.

RE: Your comments associated with Management.... I've actually heard that they're pretty switched on! That "new guy" is apparently switched on... not sure about the other woman. Didn't she work for the FAAA at some point?!

Ahh well, anyway good luck Fingers Crossed.

Fingers Crossed
28th Sep 2006, 22:05
[QUOTE=CrashAxe;2877330]EAAFA: Interesting... whilst I may agree with you re the aggregate limits, I'm not convinced that your view will be shared by all. People will chase cash all the time.

I really don't think 5k would be enough, it would be an awful lot more work and worth more in $$

Crashaxe thanks for the luck think I really need it just playing the waiting game now :hmm:

mouse78
10th Oct 2006, 13:01
Okay for the inside scoop!

Mildura base is one of the best:p , while the flying is limited, the crew are fantastic to work with, and it is a real family atmosphere. I can confirm they will be recruiting too. I know from first hand that outsiders have not lasted long, however, I was an outsider and I have fitted in, the crew will make you feel at home.

Good luck to all:ok: .

Mouse

m00ving_on
17th Oct 2006, 06:08
grrowler must be in (s)crewing if he has all that info at his fingertips

on the subject of crewing, am I the only one who is pissed off with them making deals with the people they like, while they screw the rest of us over?

Fingers Crossed
17th Oct 2006, 06:32
I will admit I've heard stories about that m00ving on. :*

Does this happen much at Eastern? Crewing making deals and having favourites??

EAAFA
17th Oct 2006, 10:01
I know of flight attendants who seem to know people in crewing and as a result play by their own rules instead of abiding by the EBA.

The problem is that as flight attendants we don't have access to the crewing computer systems, so we can only base our opininons on hearsay. Without proof we can't do anything about it.

CrashAxe
17th Oct 2006, 10:17
EAAFA:

Oh come on, everyone rorts the system if they can. Then there's people who complain enough hoping that they'll get what they want. There's apparently a guy down in MEL who has complained about every NTL hotel where the crew stay just so that they'll try and move the crew.... I mean that's just human nature. Everyone winges, just about different things and it's normally self serving.

I actually got the inside goss on that guy re the ADL base. Apparently the "new guy" stuffed up there re. that guy staying in ADL base.... bit rough on those on the list thoughbut then again we're all human I guess!

m00ving_on:

I reckon that if you had the opportunity, you too would do a deal to benefit your own pocket... surely that's just human nature isn't it?

Perhaps it's a Gen Y issue.... ROFL

Nanock
17th Oct 2006, 10:49
Hiya all,
I'm attending an EAA (QantasLink) assessment centre on Tues24th Oct - would anyone be so kind to fill me in on what happens on that day? I would love to work for them...

Thanks in advance.
PS. Does QantasLink have a base in Melbourne?

OzyOS
17th Oct 2006, 13:13
Hi Nanock! I use to work for EAA based out of Syd for 4 1/2 years (left over 2 years ago) and absolutely loved it!! Its also a great stepping stone into other airlines (im soon about to start with EK) as the training you are provided with is invaluable! Dont know what the interviews are like these days, but I can tell you they definately have a base in MEL (and BNE), Best of luck!

Cheers:p

EAAFA
17th Oct 2006, 22:54
CrashAxe wrote:

"Oh come on, everyone rorts the system if they can. Then there's people who complain enough hoping that they'll get what they want."

No, most people do not rort the system. 99% of crew respect the EBA and their colleagues enough to work within the rules.

"There's apparently a guy down in MEL who has complained about every NTL hotel where the crew stay just so that they'll try and move the crew.... I mean that's just human nature. Everyone winges, just about different things and it's normally self serving."

That doesn't narrow it down. Everyone (tech and cabin crew) in MEL complains about the accommodation in NTL. Besides, how is getting better accommodation for EVERYONE self serving? Also, you say "every NTL" hotel. In the time I've been with Eastern, we've only used 3 hotels in NTL. The first was excellent and I never heard anyone complain about it, the second wasn't approved by the union and the third is the current one. Not once was a hotel changed as a result of crew preferences.

I think it's interesting how much inside information your "friend" in crewing actually shares with you...:hmm:

To OzyOS, the BNE base is part of Sunstate, so you would have to apply separately.

Fingers Crossed
17th Oct 2006, 23:07
As far as I'm aware the Eastern EBA is different to the Sunstate one. Will this all be brought under the one umbrella or continue to have different EBA's under Qantaslink as a whole?

m00ving_on
18th Oct 2006, 02:05
crashaxe, you said

"I reckon that if you had the opportunity, you too would do a deal to benefit your own pocket... surely that's just human nature isn't it?"

the point is that crewing should not be making deals with people who try it on. since not all people are greedy, selfish a******s, i wouldn't excuse it as human nature

can you ask your friend :suspect: in crewing if it's true that one flight attendant has 60 DILs owing???

Nanock
18th Oct 2006, 09:33
Thanks for your reply OzyOS.

Regards, N.xo

EAAFA
18th Oct 2006, 09:48
I heard that one flight attendant has over 60 days in lieu too. That's $7800 worth! It's ironic that we are forced to take our whole annual leave entitlement every year so that we don't accumulate it, but DIL-s in excess of the annual leave entitlement are allowed.

pinklemonae
18th Oct 2006, 10:39
Has ANYONE heard if they got a job yet?

Or active hold at least?

Good luck.

CrashAxe
18th Oct 2006, 10:58
EAAFA:

That's probably because Annual Leave is a legislated entitlement under Work Choices (or whatever that new legislation is).

M00ving On:

No idea re the DIL thing. I actually think that'd be total BS to be honest. How could someone possibly have 60 DILs without someone directing them to take it... Managment would surely be on his/her back in minutes!

What I'm still laughing about is that both EAAFA and MoovingOn think I work in Crewing... Why can't I just be good mates with someone who works there?

You flighties, I dunno - suspicious minds I tell ya, suspicious minds. And terrible whiners when it comes to accommodation! Anyone'd think that you physically forked out the dosh for the room yourselves!

A question though... if I do work in Crewing.... which Crewing Assistant am I :) The prize for the correct guess? 60 DILS :p *ROFL* :} :}

EAAFA
18th Oct 2006, 22:21
I think you might work in crewing because anyone who doesn't would have as much access to information. No one I know takes as much interest in the daily operations and issues of their mates' workplaces.

How can you be so certain of the motivation behind a person's complaints? If crew members do not complain to the company about accommodation, how do managers know whether their money is being spent well? I know that if I were in management I'd want to know whether a significant part of my budget was being spent effectively.

As for the 60 DIL-s, I heard it directly from the flight attendant in question. Ask your mate for confirmation.;)

m00ving_on
19th Oct 2006, 06:00
crashaxe, I said that grrowler sounds as if he works in crewing. maybe you are both crashaxe and grrowler and have lost track.:confused:
"Managment would surely be on his/her back in minutes!" that's the whole point. some people get tea & bickies over that pettiest things while others do whatever they want!
"accommodation! Anyone'd think that you physically forked out the dosh for the room yourselves!"
i'm sure you would keep quiet if as part of your job you had to stay o/nite in a dump and then had to smile and be nice to pax when you haven't had any sleep. crashaxe, you have N F I ! you can't be in crewing coz no one there is so dumb

lfdlfp
20th Oct 2006, 23:57
A quote from Crashaxe
"There's apparently a guy down in MEL who has complained about every NTL hotel where the crew stay just so that they'll try and move the crew.... "
I thought they want us to complain about hotels if they arn't good enough. Isn't that why there is a box to tick on the FA report form?
Better to have a reputation for complaining about hotels then to have a reputation for posting nude photos of yourself on the net like one guy in SYD:yuk:

sebby
21st Oct 2006, 01:32
Oh dear..... i remember this person :yuk:

Nanock
21st Oct 2006, 03:35
Can anyone elaborate on the problem solving test for how one would go working on their own? I assume it would be common sense answers? Are there any one on one interviewing on the 1st of QantasLink interviews or can anyone shed some light further on the first day? My interview is next Tues in Melbourne - anyone here going??

Cheers, Nanock.xo
PS. Best of Luck to anyone waiting for an answer or going to an interview.

pinklemonae
21st Oct 2006, 21:03
^^I don't know what that test is?

I went for a QF link interview a few months ago and don't remember such a test.

Also I can't believe that candidates are still waiting?

Oh well..Good luck to those who applied..

Nanock
22nd Oct 2006, 00:20
Hi Pinklemonae,

How did you go with your interview? Are you still waiting to hear?
Do you mind telling me what you did in the 1st interview and the 2nd, if you got that far?

Thanks. N.xo

pinklemonae
22nd Oct 2006, 03:11
Hi Pinklemonae,

How did you go with your interview? Are you still waiting to hear?
Do you mind telling me what you did in the 1st interview and the 2nd, if you got that far?

Thanks. N.xo

Hi there

I had to withdraw from QFL because I got a position with another airline and started last week.

The first interview you have two group activities. Then you have a few personality tests that last about 1.5hours. The whole process takes around four hours.

Then at the second interview you are asked about customer service type questions. Look up behavioral questions on the internet to practice...They will ask for examples and seemed to focus on negative instances. I found this a little problematic and my examples weren't very meaningful...

If you research behavioral interview techniques and questions you will be fine...They basically suggest that you prepare your own examples to use in the interviews.

QFL was very professional and there were a lot of interview candiates.

Good luck and let us know how you get on ok!

Nanock
22nd Oct 2006, 04:25
[quote=pinklemonae;2921850]Hi there

Can I do anything to prepare for the first interview? I guess not, right? Can you elaborate on the group activites and personality tests?

Thanks so much for your quick response and tips Pinklemonae...
and congratulations with your new position :D Good luck with the training.
Nanock. :) xo

pinklemonae
23rd Oct 2006, 01:12
No worries!

Good luck with your interview and keep us posted..I hope the email I sent you is useful.

qfdash8
27th Oct 2006, 00:45
Hey Nanock,

How'd you go at the interviews on the 24th and 25th. Did you get htrough day 1 and come back day 2?:ugh:

Nanock
27th Oct 2006, 12:56
Pointless quote of previous post - see forum post from mods