PDA

View Full Version : I have a little dongle!! (Stop doing your own jokes!!).

Keygrip
14th Aug 2006, 19:36
Still working on my NVidia problem (thanks for input so far) - but now wonder about Bluetooth.

I bought a Bluetooth mouse for my laptop - but it's bigger than the laptop and not really suitable for travelling with.........so I'd like to donate it to my desktop PC ('cause it's quite a funky device (lot's of buttons on it)).

If I shove the Bluetooth dongle doo-hickey into a suitably vacant USB port will it work on a vanilla flavoured desktop PC?

Do I need some sort of Bluetooth software - if so, where from? I've looked at www.bluetooth.com (http://www.bluetooth.com) but have only found endless stories about how good it is and how to set up pairs.

Can I convert my vanilla desktop to Bluetooth?

frostbite
14th Aug 2006, 19:49
Boasting or complaining?

Seriously, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.

Hamrah
14th Aug 2006, 21:38
They work very well. I've had one for some time.

H

Keygrip
14th Aug 2006, 22:09
We have partial progression.

Feeling somewhat safer by the post from frostbite - I plugged the dongle direct into the back of the PC (actually, I first tried into a small USB hub - but got a ratty message saying insufficient power).

PC found the dongle immediately. I started the bluetooth "add devices" and whilst it did find the GPS unit over on the filing cabinet (which I'd forgotten about (that's the GPS I forgot, not the filing cabinet)) it did NOT find the mouse.

Off to the cupboard for a new pair of AA's and the bright red light came on under the mouse.

Back to the "add device" software - did another scan. Found the PDA (which I switched on purely for spite - but will continue to use through its cradle (unless you advise otherwise)) and found the mouse.

Followed all the trails for mouse installation - software suggested all was hunky dory - offered me a passcode (declined) then I clicked "OK". Software instantly 'forgot' the device. Not there anymore. Played the game again - same result.

I do still have the original mouse plugged in - a trackball on a USB plugged through a PS2 adaptor (at least until I solve the mystery).

The new mouse is a Microsoft 4 button plus tilt/turn scroll wheel. - it came as a kit with the dongle and worked fine on the laptop.

Humphhh!

Conan the Librarian
14th Aug 2006, 22:14
The two common passcodes that I have come across in my limited Bluetooth travails, are 0000 and 1234. Try them :-)

Conan